Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amenity placed outside house by neighbours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

your first mistake is saying anything . you should have pretended you had no problem with it but be plotting its demise. now they will know who had a problem with it and blame you if it goes missing.

firstly i would get a sack truck with inflated tyres and move the hoop to a far away similar spot at the other end of the estate.

if it returns then wait a while longer and remove it. sack truck it somewhere quite and take it apart , then into the car and down to a recycling center.

i cant see anything illegal about recycling something that has been dumped and abandoned in your estate.

i wouldnt put up with that noise

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

I read he thread and would not agree with those that dismiss the OP. It is something that can get to a person. Your home is your place of refuge in a pretty hectic life. What would upset me if I was the OP is the fact that he approached the neighbour in a reasonable way but that the neighbour ignored that and went ahead anyway.

If it was me that would be a signal that all bets are off.

I think I would wait in the long grass on this one. If I could I would line up someone with a trailer. Wait until the neighbour is on holidays. Then, during the night, put the basketball hoop in the trailer and take it away and dis assemble and dispose in recycling centre etc. If the kids notice there will be no point of focus as the neighbour will be away.

You should probably follow up with something to prevent another being put in again

As far I would be concerned the neighbour has relinquished ownership of it by putting it in an open common area and you have a justification in its removal as it impacts you the most and you have tried to deal with it reasonably in another way,

Best of luck and it wold be great to hear how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Op, you have been a victim of being too nice. Even describing it as an amenity, its not an amenity, its a nuisence.

Some other replies are bizarre, buy them a basketball, buy them a goalpost. I d not be buying them anything with my money.

Neighbour is now being an asshole by putting it straight back out once the weather improves.

Op, you need to be firmer and more direct.

Id be a bit more blunt - thats not staying there in front of my house. The noise kevel is not acceptable. Now, you need to move it or I will. Its an accident waiting to happen.

LIving in an Estate requires compromise, but the compromise is 2 ways. There are families with children and families and singles without.

Your children are keen basketballers? Delighted for them and best of luck with it. But its not happening in front of my house.

Its clear also from this thread that there are 2 types of neighbours. One set who think they can do what they like and expect others to suck it up, and the other set who wont put up with it.

So what if you are labelled a nark.?

I think im labelled a bit of a nark, but it means anyone thinking if doing something on the green or near my house does it somewhere else cos yer one will give out about the car.

Hapoy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

anewme wrote: »
    Op, you have been a victim of being too nice. Even describing it as an amenity, its not an amenity, its a nuisence.

Some other replies are bizarre, buy them a basketball, buy them a goalpost. I d not be buying them anything with my money.

Neighbour is now being an asshole by putting it straight back out once the weather improves.

Op, you need to be firmer and more direct.

Id be a bit more blunt - thats not staying there in front of my house. The noise kevel is not acceptable. Now, you need to move it or I will. Its an accident waiting to happen.

LIving in an Estate requires compromise, but the compromise is 2 ways. There are families with children and families and singles without.

Your children are keen basketballers? Delighted for them and best of luck with it. But its not happening in front of my house.

Its clear also from this thread that there are 2 types of neighbours. One set who think they can do what they like and expect others to suck it up, and the other set who wont put up with it.

So what if you are labelled a nark.?

I think im labelled a bit of a nark, but it means anyone thinking if doing something on the green or near my house does it somewhere else cos yer one will give out about the car.

Hapoy days.

Some kids are prone to provide retribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Have never had any retrubution from anyone. They just move on to an easier target.

I find being direct and very blunt leaves no room for ambuguity.

Kids (and their parents) have an awareness of who they can push and who they cant.

Wouldnt be letting nyself be a lodger in my own home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭mrmanire

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The estate will have other turnaround areas. Rotate it around the estate every week

Of course the other residents love it but it’s not outside their house! I see the OPs neighbors are not keen as they want it close so they can watch. But they can still watch even if it’s further up the estate.

I think the OP should push this again

That was suggested by ourselves when we visited. Neighbours want to be able to see their kids use it and also want to be able to keep an eye on things so it keeps safe. There are at least three other perfect areas in the estate it could be placed. Being honest, the neighbour wants his girls where he can see them. The hoop ironically draws a lot of teenage youngs lads into the estate which is probably what he is using the hoop to distract them from in the first place anyway.
    The worst of this is the OP has stated these neighbors fell out with their neighbours to teh other side over privacy issues due to kids playing right outside their house

But yet it's ok for them do the same to teh OP, says a lot about them

OP any mates with an old banger? It would be a right shame if they accidentally reversed into the stand part of the hoop and mangled it and even worse again if they were such terrible drivers they managed to hit any new stand the neighbors replaced it with

Apparently there was an argument with the same neighbours in question and my neighbours on the opposite side of my house over use of the turnabout many years before we bought. Basically one neighbour (not the the basketball lover) was parking his van in the turnabout and basketball neighbour complained that the turnabout should be kept clear at all times. The hypocracy is deafening really when you consider that while he doesn't want cars in there, a basketball hoop is fine. That was many years ago and I guess having kids changed the equation for them. Interestingly, the turnabout wasn't outside either of their houses but my future house. It was rented at the time so they kept out of it. I believe the neighbour with the van left a banger in there for a time which eventually went to sh*t. Tires went flat etc. Drove basketball man mad and they haven't talked since. Think it may have cheesed off the rest of the neighbours too to be a fair as an abandoned car doesn't look good for an estate.
    Might be worth a shot OP

If they're that inconsiderate. Park outside house. Ball hits car. Straight in to hoop owner with warning that any bill is coming their way.

I reckon they'll be bored of b ball soon and onto football on the green. Grass was wet till today. When's Wimbledon? I reckon outside yours may be the tennis court in June.

His girls are in a basketball club. Gets played more than football because of that. One thing that annoyed me a lot was that other neighbours in the estate bought their own basketballs to use it. Last Summer we had cars in it as we had visiters over; some neighbours from the estate over landed with their kids fully decked out with basketball gear to play a game and were pretty miffed when it was blocked. You'd swear that we had blocked a county council play park!

Won't happen this week. Rightly or wrongly it'll be left open for the rest of easter as I'm off on holidays for the day. Unfortunately it might be giving them ownership of the area for the week but I'm not leaving my car for a week unsupervised and will deal with this when I get back. I need a break from the NBA anyway! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is the net blocking you egress to / from your driveway ?, if so take pictures of it and contact the relative authority. You have been reasonable and patient and tried initiating dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

anewme wrote:
    I find being direct and very blunt leaves no room for ambuguity.

Totally agree on this, being clear is the best way, you don't have to be nasty either just make your position known.

Shouting at kids or sneaking around at night isn't something anyone should be at, the problem is not the kids it's the person who placed the hoop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

mrmanire wrote: »
    I just attached a little map there. Can't believe I've done that! To the far left is a stream (fully barriered off) but it stops the use of the hoop at end of the cul-de-sac as the wall would be straight into the water which is fair enough.

Buys a few old cars and park them there, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

bladespin wrote: »
    Try holding a conference call while your neighbour decides to run over their lawn for the third time straight, everyone has their own definition of annoying.
    Personally I didn't get bent out of shape over a couple of hours of noise during the day, we all have our stuff to do.

Unless your neighbour cuts the grass every day, it's not a comparable nuisance. I would prefer a neighbour who cut his grass routinely, over one who let the garden turn into a jungle. I consider home and garden maintenance to be a necessity.

I don't think it's a necessity to have ones kids banging basketballs outside my house for several hours per day. The OP is being too polite at this stage. Maybe blaring some inappropriate rap music in the front garden could encourage the removal of the hoop.:D

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

I consider home and garden maintenance to be a necessity.
    True, but keeping kids entertained is even more important and a more constant requirement IMO, out if trouble etc etc.
    Not advocating a hoop outside a neighbours though, we take our boys racing or to practice as much as we can, outside of that it's friends gardens or the football pitch.
    Maybe blaring some inappropriate rap music in the front garden could encourage the removal of the hoop.

Hmmm, might have the opposite effect, ballers do love their rap, might suggest throwing some country music on, should clear the halls. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

bladespin wrote: »
    True, but keeping kids entertained is even more important and a more constant requirement IMO, out if trouble etc etc.
    Not advocating a hoop outside a neighbours though, we take our boys racing or to practice as much as we can, outside of that it's friends gardens or the football pitch.

Agreed, keeping the kids entertained is more important, but kids are mobile, whereas your neighbours lawn is not. My kids are at the park with mum and I stayed behind to get the gas going on the BBQ and repairing the back door. 10 minutes work for a couple hours of quiet is well worth it. :pac:

Stay Free

Unless your neighbour cuts the grass every day, it's not a comparable nuisance. I would prefer a neighbour who cut his grass routinely, over one who let the garden turn into a jungle. I consider home and garden maintenance to be a necessity.

I don't think it's a necessity to have ones kids banging basketballs outside my house for several hours per day. The OP is being too polite at this stage. Maybe blaring some inappropriate rap music in the front garden could encourage the removal of the hoop.:D

The full Handels Messiagh at a reasonable volume could do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The estate will have other turnaround areas. Rotate it around the estate every week

Of course the other residents love it but it’s not outside their house! I see the OPs neighbors are not keen as they want it close so they can watch. But they can still watch even if it’s further up the estate.

I think the OP should push this again

Yep, he's been ridden by ignorant pigs.
    the fact the neighbours have previously fallen out with others because of kids outside THEIR house is irrefutable evidence they are knobs.

I wouldn't park a car there (if they know it's yours) as that is totally passive aggressive nonsense.

You seem reasonable and nice OP (nevermind the big mouth on some residents assoc busybody posting here, thank god he/she is not on yours)

IMO, approach them once more and don't beat around the bush - politely tell them to move it or you will.

The cheek of being browbeaten into accepting crap in your own home and environs because of the "kid" card.

Perfectly acceptable alternatives like the end of the culdesac with nets or moving the bloody hoop about so everyone gets their fair share of the little darlings.

Keep the pecker up, you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

backspin. wrote: »
    Who cares, seriously who cares if they are known as an old crank, by neighbours who probably don't speak much to him anyway. It's better than being tormented by noise for potentially years on end.
    You might not care what your neighbours think of you, but you might care, what their children do.
    Imagine what you would have done as a teen when someone took your favorite toy away (and it must be a favorite as the OP says they are playing for hours every day), even more so, when their parents tell them, the old crank from next door took it away. The noise the OP is experiencing now could be heaven compared to what it could be, if these teens decide to target the OP specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

mdebets wrote:
    You might not care what your neighbours think of you, but you might care, what their children do. Imagine what you would have done as a teen when someone took your favorite toy away (and it must be a favorite as the OP says they are playing for hours every day), even more so, when their parents tell them, the old crank from next door took it away. The noise the OP is experiencing now could be heaven compared to what it could be, if these teens decide to target the OP specifically.

Thay won't happen if it really is a nice estate.

If I caught my kids doing what you suggest, they wouldn't see the light of day for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

dubrov wrote: »
    Thay won't happen if it really is a nice estate.

If I caught my kids doing what you suggest, they wouldn't see the light of day for weeks.
    But if I read the OP correctly, he already talked with some of the parents and nothing changed, so they don't seem to care too much about the problem, so they probably won't care if other things happen in the future.

mdebets wrote: »
    I can understand the OP to a certain extent. But, if you are successful in any way, to get the basketball hoop removed, you will always be remembered as the old crank, who took the fun away in the estate and might be targeted by the kids who loved to play basketball, which could be even more annoying.
    A better option would be, to incentivise the kids away from the basketball hoop, to play in another part of the estate. Did they play football before the basketball hoop appeared, then you could consider putting up two goals at the green. Or you could get them two better basketball hoops and place them in another part of the estate.

The OP appears reasonable so I hope, yeah.
    I can understand the Op 100% - I was once that annnoying cnt of a kid until my parents were made aware and they stopped that shít pronto.
    But then, they were old school parents.

your first mistake is saying anything . you should have pretended you had no problem with it but be plotting its demise. now they will know who had a problem with it and blame you if it goes missing.

firstly i would get a sack truck with inflated tyres and move the hoop to a far away similar spot at the other end of the estate.

if it returns then wait a while longer and remove it. sack truck it somewhere quite and take it apart , then into the car and down to a recycling center.

i cant see anything illegal about recycling something that has been dumped and abandoned in your estate.

i wouldnt put up with that noise

Have to agree.
    But the OP sounds so sound, it's a mistake we all make.
    I'm looking out from my 4th floor apartmnet over a beautiful estate and wondering if that's the OPs (it has a hoop in a space like that)

Spurred on by the horrible parents.
    Kids don't normally do anything without hearing it from the real problem - the ignorant parents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Your neighbours are arseholes end of, Some people buy a house in an estate, some try take over what they can.

Can their kids move into their aunt and uncles place in Bel Air?

mdebets wrote: »
    You might not care what your neighbours think of you, but you might care, what their children do.
    Imagine what you would have done as a teen when someone took your favorite toy away (and it must be a favorite as the OP says they are playing for hours every day), even more so, when their parents tell them, the old crank from next door took it away. The noise the OP is experiencing now could be heaven compared to what it could be, if these teens decide to target the OP specifically.

Pretty shocking the shítty level of parenting on display here.

Facts so far (this whole thread is really bugging me!)

Taking the OP at face value which is what we have to do:

Nextdoor neighbours place hoop directly across a very short distance from OPs house <- directly, no doubt. Not directly in front of their house, oh no.
    Nextdoor neighbours have form in complaining about kids playing directly outside their house, bad feelings in estate ensue (from nextdoor neighbours)
    OP approaches nextdoor neighbours re-noise and nuisance
    OP told it's great to have the kids in eyeview
    Nextdoor neighbours admit the noise is really shítty and agree to consult
    Nextdoor neighbours ignore what OP says
    OP suggests alternatives but then it might disturb the culdesac at the cost of a net.
    OP gets annoyed but is still beyond reasonable
    OP posts here
    Thankfully, 90% of replies are pro-OP

Kids are not naturally vindictive a*seholes in stuff like this - but their parents sure are.

Kill it OP.
    Dead in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

This thread has given me flashbacks. I had it for years, constant thudding. And be aware OP, that as the kids get older the thump gets a lot louder. I moved in the end, thankfully, but it was absolute torture.

Do whatever you can, feck pissing off the neighbours, anyone who thinks you're unreasonable hasn't lived through it.

I drive around the country and I'm in and out of a lot of housing estates, from rough 'old corporation' estates to newer upper class estates, and basketball hoops seem to appear randomly everywhere.

How can people be so stupid as to think it's an acceptable hobby for a housing estate? Football is somewhat acceptable as it doesn't make a constant noise. Tennis/Badminton I've seen done on the green areas. Wrestling is grand. But a constant 'thud, thud, thud, thud, thud'.. Who actually thinks that's okay to have going on 20ft from several sitting rooms.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    they were old school parents.

In other words, they were actual parents. Rather than many today that are just desperate to be seen as 'cool' and be best friends with their children. I swear some kids could go around stabbing people and their parents would still say 'ah but sure s/he's only having a bit of fun'. Really grates with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

I feel very sorry for the OP here.

I'd probably advise against some of the advice here about taking the hoop away etc. While that is tempting it is theft and really not the way to solve it.

Your only option here is to as amicably as possible directly bring it up with the neighbours again. Explain exactly why it's not reasonable for them to have it directly outside your house and that you can't even watch the tv in the front room while they are there.

Your patience so far is admirable.

I myself have problems in a private estate. The next door neighbours have a large trampoline in their back garden and their kids are very noisy all afternoon and up until about 9 at night all during the summer. The garden is not massive and the trampoline takes up about 1/3 of it. Not only are there noise issues, their kids are looking in to my back garden, kitchen and dining room all the time. The privacy issue nearly bothers me more than the noise.

I also have young kids who go to bed early, before 7 every evening. Its not on the same scale as the OPs issue but it does drive me cracked too.

We have many young families and the noise is really unreasonable IMO. They are shouting, shrieking, crying constantly. They regularly wake up my kids and it gets very frustrating. I have just put up with it for the last few years and never complained but last night the neighbours the other side of me opened their upstairs window and shouted to them to shut up so at least I'm not alone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

This is a hard situation. Because they're kids you'll be labeled as some kind of monster no matter what you do. Is there any kind of surface that could go down temporarily on the area to reduce the noise ? That's all I've got sorry.

I had neighbours above when I rented a few years bsck. Actually they would be better referred to as complete toerags. They inherited the apartment above us and were mostly Alcoholics. They had sessions night and day, and no matter what I did they didn't stop. We ended up moving, but I can understand your issues too. It seriously affected my sleep / stress and well-being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Do a few slam dunks on it during their game. Keep shouting boom Shaka lakka and proceed to apply enough force as to render the hoop unfit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

cursai wrote: »
    Do a few slam dunks on it during their game. Keep shouting boom Shaka lakka and proceed to apply enough force as to render the hoop unfit for purpose.

You could orchestrate a game of shirts & skins every time they rock up. Ideal weather. Parents wouldn't be long moving the hoop away from the middle aged guy playing with his top off. ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭corks finest

ZX7R wrote: »
    How about a picture of the offending hoop,say takin from your front door.
    Looking at your map it doesn't really look to be close at all.
    Doesent have to be physically close in a dead end ,walls echo noise , horrendous at times,think of a drum in your head ,thump,thump,thump,thump

Advertisement