Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

seligehgit wrote: »
    Nice interview with Jason Doherty post his recovery from that cruciate ligament injury he suffered in the Donegal match.

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2020-04-29T10_42_04-07_00.mp3

First one I listened to in ages and glad I did
    He is one of my fav players of this generation
    So important and so underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Aidan O Shea is on the Late Late Show tonight.

The Mayo News should be well worth a look at next week as the top 100 club footballers from the senior,intermediate and junior ranks are named.

The rankings will be based on form in recent years,stating the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

He still on the beer:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

As well intentioned as he may be, he had his chance and blew it. I think it would be best for himself if he just stopped publicly making statements about the county board if he wants to work with them. The more he does it the less likely they will be to take him on board

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

charlie14 wrote:
    He still on the beer

Based on his grammar, it looks like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

As well intentioned as he may be, he had his chance and blew it. I think it would be best for himself if he just stopped publicly making statements about the county board if he wants to work with them. The more he does it the less likely they will be to take him on board

IMO, that ship has sailed. It doesn't matter what he does now there is no going back for him and the county board.

He doesn't really want to work with the county board either, if he did he wouldn't be tweeting bullsh*t like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

muddle84 wrote: »

IMO, that ship has sailed. It doesn't matter what he does now there is no going back for him and the county board.

He doesn't really want to work with the county board either, if he did he wouldn't be tweeting bullsh*t like that.

100% He must have some ego on him. He takes a step forward and then he acts the clown. He would piss off God with his ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

if he lost his business where he going to get the money baord.

The last thing the county board want is croke park in charge of the finances, as the expenses gravy train might be under threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The last thing the county board want is croke park in charge of the finances, as the expenses gravy train might be under threat.

The Mayo News should be well worth a look at next week as the top 100 club footballers from the senior,intermediate and junior ranks are named.

I finally got a chance to give the Mayo News a brief glance.

Oisin Mullin topped the rankings for the junior players.

James Carr was voted the second best footballer at the grade.

Based on the article " Mullin unsure about AFL move " Oisin quite rightly would be interested in giving it a go at aussies rules football.

A big worry for Mayo football going forward as he'd be a terrible loss.

Based on the article " Mullin unsure about AFL move " Oisin quite rightly would be interested in giving it a go at aussies rules football.

He really has the makings of a once in a generation kind of player the way he has just slotted into the senior county setup. He would be a terrible loss indeed but good luck to the lad. The temptation of a professional sporting career must be tempting!

Australia will be opening up for sport a fair while before are, so unfortunately he probably will not be the only one. With nothing on here I can see an offer to go there making it extra attractive to young lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

Could anyone post the full list of the top 100 plus the lists for each grade, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

charlie14 wrote: »
    Australia will be opening up for sport a fair while before are, so unfortunately he probably will not be the only one. With nothing on here I can see an offer to go there making it extra attractive to young lads.

Wouldn't be so sure it will play out like that. Clubs in all sports will be minding their pennies for the foreseeable.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/collingwood-head-coach-predicts-end-to-irish-afl-recruitment-997696.html

Wouldn't be so sure it will play out like that. Clubs in all sports will be minding their pennies for the foreseeable.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/collingwood-head-coach-predicts-end-to-irish-afl-recruitment-997696.html

Perhaps, but young rookie would not be on great money I`d imagine, and with nothing happening here for the foreseeable, young lads could be very tempted.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Perhaps, but young rookie would not be on great money I`d imagine, and with nothing happening here for the foreseeable, young lads could be very tempted.

Don't the Irish lads going out there have a set deal in terms of Salary, accomodation, car and flights home?? I thought i remember something about that because of the work Dara Ó Cinnéide(not sure how to spell his name) had done with the AFL.

Don't the Irish lads going out there have a set deal in terms of Salary, accomodation, car and flights home?? I thought i remember something about that because of the work Dara Ó Cinnéide(not sure how to spell his name) had done with the AFL.

You got the spelling spot on. Move up to the head of the class.:D There is something in place as far as I remember, but for professional outfits if they think a lad has potential it would likely be worth their while. Young lads playing county and breaking in to the senior starting team would often not give it much thought, especially in the top ranked teams, but with nothing happening here for some time they might be easier tempted is all I`m saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Yup Standard Rookie Contract.

With the current exchange rate of 1.66 the base salary of AUD for the initial 2 year International Rookie contract would work out at €96,365 or €48,192 per year. Throw in all the other bits and bobs and 2 years of being a professional sportsman, it's a fairly serious offer.

More detail at the link below.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111721605&postcount=6034

Also it was more likely Tadgh Kennelly that you're thinking of not Dara O'Cinneide.

• Advertisement

BandMember wrote: »
    Could anyone post the full list of the top 100 plus the lists for each grade, please?

Only the top 20 junior footballers were published this week.

1. Oisin Mullin
    2. James Carr
    3. Justin Healy
    4. Michael Forde
    5. Eddie Doran
    6. Darragh Keaveney
    7. Cathal Horan
    8. Brendan Carr
    9. Jarlath Mullin
    10. Jack Carney
    11. Tomas Fahey
    12. Stephen Rochford
    13. Kevin Dolan
    14. Micheal Hession
    15. Eoin Mc Grath
    16. Michael Mc Garry
    17. Adam Barrett
    18. Matthew Keady
    19. Conor Gilvarry
    20. James Gallagher

Next week in the Mayo News the top intermediate footballers will be published.

Over the following fortnight the top 50 senior footballers will be published.

Latest Mayo News Podcast is very enjoyable.Central theme is the wonderful work that is carried out by our front line health care workers.Same is exemplified by interviews with Mayo ladies footballer Ciara Mc Manamon and Tom Brett.The hardback book he co authored with the great Sean Rice " We are Mayo " appears to be a steal even at the princely retail price of 30 euro.The mentioned front cover features a beautiful vintage Mayo jersey.

Billy Joe Padden as always is informative,on this occasion speaking re a road map for a return to action for players.

https://www.mayonews.ie/sports/listen/35292-audio-football-podcast-14-football-interrupted-part-four?fbclid=IwAR2uxPJru_nInzB5isBB3DNd-nTL8-7gnjq8UTdWroQzi1Bi7GpdAhsm1j8

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

irishgeo wrote: »

I'm not overly familiar (outside of his involvement with Mayo GAA) with him or his business but I thought he was an Investment Manager/Firm... in that, he takes people's millions and invests it, with him taking % fee of their investment.

If that is the case, then he could still be a very wealthy man, with no business. i.e People just wanted to withdraw their money and he closed down the fund, no real loss to him other than the fee he charged his investors.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Who knows... If the league can't be played next year either, we'll still be reigning champions going into 2022 :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Who knows... If the league can't be played next year either, we'll still be reigning champions going into 2022 :)

Back to back league champions.

Top 30 intermediate footballers in 2020 published in the Mayo News.Lots of quality footballers Padraig Prendergast,Barry Moran ( was'nt aware he played that much football last year ) ,Simon Cloherty,Padraig O Malley,Matthew Flanagan,Eamon Philips and Cathal Carolan.There are ample others.

Quelle surprise Keith Higgins tops the poll.

2. Jason Doherty
    3. Darren Coen
    4. Stephen Coen
    5. Jordan Flynn
    6. Conor Loftus
    7. Adam Gallagher
    8. Kevin Gibbons
    9. Evan O Brien
    10. Eoghan Collins

Just outside the top 10 are Fionan Duffy,Jack Coyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

Top 30 intermediate footballers in 2020 published in the Mayo News.Lots of quality footballers Padraig Prendergast,Barry Moran ( was'nt aware he played that much football last year ) ,Simon Cloherty,Padraig O Malley,Matthew Flanagan,Eamon Philips and Cathal Carolan.There are ample others.

Quelle surprise Keith Higgins tops the poll.

2. Jason Doherty
    3. Darren Coen
    4. Stephen Coen
    5. Jordan Flynn
    6. Conor Loftus
    7. Adam Gallagher
    8. Kevin Gibbons
    9. Evan O Brien
    10. Eoghan Collins

Just outside the top 10 are Fionan Duffy,Jack Coyne.

I bought the Mayo News this week to take a look at this. Normally wouldn’t be a regular reader. It felt more like a poll of the “ 30 Best Known Intermediate Footballers”.

I bought the Mayo News this week to take a look at this. Normally wouldn’t be a regular reader. It felt more like a poll of the “ 30 Best Known Intermediate Footballers”.

There's usually a strong correlation between the quality of a footballer and their recognition vis a vis the general public

What changes would you make to the rankings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Its hard to get a definitive list if the top 30 players. Very subjective and a lot of matches wouldnt have reporters. From playing with him, James Moran from Burrishoole should be there... best intermediate midfielder IMO. Was on Conor loftus in championship this year and only one winner there. Burrish got cleaned out by ballyhaunis after he got a black card in semi. But I'm sure every club has someone the think should be in there.

• Advertisement

Total respect for somebody who has great knowledge of that grade.I wouldn't be overly familiar with it.

Of course a few of The Neale lads miss out after winning the intermediate championship.

The judges are all respected current and former players/managers.

It must be a typo nonetheless as Simon Cloherty is listed amongst the judges.

The senior ranking should be fascinating,it will be quite the accolade to be named the best senior club footballer.

Individual players may translate differently from inter county level performance wise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement