Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

irishgeo wrote: »
    Just sunderland till I die on Netflix. Basically a documentary following the fans and staff around as they as the go through the highs and lows of the season.

The passion of the fans reminded me of the mayo fans.

Mayo would make a great team to follow but it wont happen for many reasons but it would be an interesting thought.

Watched it the last night when Sunderland best midfielder player is/was a serious piss head it says it all really.your man on 60k a week never played

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

naughto wrote: »
    Watched it the last night when Sunderland best midfielder player is/was a serious piss head it says it all really.your man on 60k a week never played
    At least he was spending in the local economy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

When sporting activity recommences, the GAA will accommodate both club and county games. The Association also intends to complete the Allianz Leagues, or at least those games that have a bearing on next year's divisions, where possible.

Feck !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

km79 wrote: »
    When sporting activity recommences, the GAA will accommodate both club and county games. The Association also intends to complete the Allianz Leagues, or at least those games that have a bearing on next year's divisions, where possible.

Feck !!!!

If it's August or after when the games resume, I doubt the leagues will be finished. I have a funny feeling they are saying that at the moment to avoid deciding how league tables would be constructed if the leagues were to be stopped today (as in, would they be declared null and start next year with the same leagues, or take current positions as final).

As well as this, if it comes down to finishing the league or rushing an All Ireland series where they can fill Croke Park for a few games, money will decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

Yeah i would say that's all wishful thinking unless they play them out behind closed doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

All indications seem to be that social distancing will be kept in place even after the lockdown is lifted, so I don't see there being any large crowds being allowed to attend games for the foreseeable. I don't think we'll be seeing much, if any, GAA this year tbh, unless a vaccine for this thing miraculously appears in the next month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

muddle84 wrote: »
    Yeah i would say that's all wishful thinking unless they play them out behind closed doors.

Is closed doors an option for any contact sport? I don't see how any governing body of any sport could give the go ahead if 'social distancing' directives are still in place by government. It would be in direct contravention to what the public are being told to do, why would it be any different for athletes in any contact sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Squatman

Is closed doors an option for any contact sport? I don't see how any governing body of any sport could give the go ahead if 'social distancing' directives are still in place by government. It would be in direct contravention to what the public are being told to do, why would it be any different for athletes in any contact sport.

no, closed doors is a dead duck. it will be 2021 before we see sport back. have to make do with re-runs IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Squatman wrote: »
    no, closed doors is a dead duck. it will be 2021 before we see sport back. have to make do with re-runs IMO
    We might win the 1996 one this time;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Squatman wrote: »

That's what I would have thought also but the behind closed doors talk seems relentless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mass gatherings of over 5,000 people prohibited until the end August.

TBH I think they should pull the plug on this year's championship on the basis of a public health requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

seligehgit wrote: »

TBH I think they should pull the plug on this year's championship on the basis of a public health requirement.

And the league, don't forget to pull the plug on the league

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I have a horrible feeling they will end up just playing off the league in late autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I have a horrible feeling they will end up just playing off the league in late autumn

Or a standalone super 8 based involving the division 1 teams:P

Or a standalone super 8 based involving the division 1 teams:P

Sounds good.:D

Don't even think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Don't even think about it!

If there is going to be any inter county football this year I`m afraid I cannot see anything other than finishing out the leagues and the U20 championship.
    Even at that spectator numbers would be limited or even games played behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Don't even see this happening.

Whenever restrictions are eased, public gatherings like sporting events and music festivals and the like will be the last to come back. Don't see how they would do this within the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

If they limit large gatherings like they are saying, licenced events up to 5K, they could probably play out the league before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

mayo.mick wrote: »
    If they limit large gatherings like they are saying, licenced events up to 5K, they could probably play out the league before the end of the year.

And then crack straight on with the 2021 league a couple of months later...

• Advertisement

mayo.mick wrote: »

Limit the attendance to 5k?

Did we have to beat both Galway and Tyrone to stay up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

muddle84 wrote: »
    Limit the attendance to 5k?

Health Authority will licence events with maximum of 5K in attendance. If they want to finish out the league, all other things being allowed, the games will be limited to 5000 tickets, that's IF they want supporters in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BandMember

I think it's fair to say that we can forget about any intercounty action for 2020 and will be doing well to see it back in time for the start of the League next year, especially if they still haven't found a vaccine. You can't expect the players, management, ground staff etc. and their families to take the risk of being exposed to the virus - not to mention that the experts are expecting a second wave in the autumn which could possibly be even worse than this one.

Even if you leave that aside, there's the issue of whether to play the games either behind closed doors or with limited attendance. Behind closed doors doesn't seem to be a runner with either the players (still exposed to the same risks as above, no atmosphere etc.) or the G.A.A. (as they'd lose a fortune on holding the games without any gate receipts to cover the costs). Plus, if you have to limit the crowd to 5K, how are you going to do that??? Sure Mayo have nearly 5K Season Ticket holders so wouldn't be able to accommodate them alone! Same for Dublin. How would you decide which supporters get tickets and who doesn't? What about club allocations? The whole thing would be a mess!

I'd imagine that their broadcasting contracts with both television and radio are the only reason why they haven't officially announced that there will be no games for the remainder for 2020 yet as they will be trying to figure out how much having no more games will cost them financially and what sort of agreement they can come to the broadcasters. However, on the flip side, you could imagine that the broadcasters would be desperate for some games to show.... (Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the broadcasters will be pressuring them into holding games just so that they can fill their schedules!! It's merely an observation as both broadcasters know exactly how serious the situation is)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

And that will be extnded well beyond August

BandMember wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that we can forget about any intercounty action for 2020 and will be doing well to see it back in time for the start of the League next year, especially if they still haven't found a vaccine. You can't expect the players, management, ground staff etc. and their families to take the risk of being exposed to the virus - not to mention that the experts are expecting a second wave in the autumn which could possibly be even worse than this one.

Even if you leave that aside, there's the issue of whether to play the games either behind closed doors or with limited attendance. Behind closed doors doesn't seem to be a runner with either the players (still exposed to the same risks as above, no atmosphere etc.) or the G.A.A. (as they'd lose a fortune on holding the games without any gate receipts to cover the costs). Plus, if you have to limit the crowd to 5K, how are you going to do that??? Sure Mayo have nearly 5K Season Ticket holders so wouldn't be able to accommodate them alone! Same for Dublin. How would you decide which supporters get tickets and who doesn't? What about club allocations? The whole thing would be a mess!

I'd imagine that their broadcasting contracts with both television and radio are the only reason why they haven't officially announced that there will be no games for the remainder for 2020 yet as they will be trying to figure out how much having no more games will cost them financially and what sort of agreement they can come to the broadcasters. However, on the flip side, you could imagine that the broadcasters would be desperate for some games to show.... (Just to be clear, I'm not saying that the broadcasters will be pressuring them into holding games just so that they can fill their schedules!! It's merely an observation as both broadcasters know exactly how serious the situation is)

Indeed and I know there are probably external pressures on the GAA to not definitively rule out a championship this year but is all this indecision really necessary?These pressures do not suffice IMO,the great and good should make a call.Take the financial hit this year,write it off.

TBH the layman on the street can see the direction this likely medium term to god knows when public health crisis are pointing.

An ultra cautious approach should be taken for the country's good and as much as we love our gaelic games I am the first to admit same is non essential.

The whole idea of holding championships this year does not sit easy with me.

We'll be proverbially chomping at the bit come next year.

As we all dream on as usual I'd hate for Aidan O Shea to lift Sam and not be one of the chosen few with an arbitrarily selected golden tickets.

TBH I could'nt see a lot of joy around the holding of All Ireland championships this year and most certainly not in the heart of the winter in half empty stadia where social distancing might be nigh impossible to police and no atmosphere,that's without considering the health and well being of our players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Indeed and I know there are probably external pressures on the GAA to not definitively rule out a championship this year but is all this indecision really necessary?These pressures do not suffice IMO,the great and good should make a call.Take the financial hit this year,write it off.

TBH the layman on the street can see the direction this likely medium term to god knows when public health crisis are pointing.

An ultra cautious approach should be taken for the country's good and as much as we love our gaelic games I am the first to admit same is non essential.

The whole idea of holding championships this year does not sit easy with me.

We'll be proverbially chomping at the bit come next year.

As we all dream on as usual I'd hate for Aidan O Shea to lift Sam and not be one of the chosen few with an arbitrarily selected golden tickets.

TBH I could'nt see a lot of joy around the holding of All Ireland championships this year and most certainly not in the heart of the winter in half empty stadia where social distancing might be nigh impossible to police and no atmosphere,that's without considering the health and well being of our players.

While I agree with a lot of your points, I am going to disagree on one. If the numbers dropped to sustainable levels over the summer and the government give the ok for big events from September onwards, I would absolutely love to see what a championship between September - November looked like. Have championship games under floodlights. I think there would be a fantastic atmosphere around it (maybe even more so given that there would have been so little activity over summer).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

While I agree with a lot of your points, I am going to disagree on one. If the numbers dropped to sustainable levels over the summer and the government give the ok for big events from September onwards, I would absolutely love to see what a championship between September - November looked like. Have championship games under floodlights. I think there would be a fantastic atmosphere around it (maybe even more so given that there would have been so little activity over summer).

The problem I would see with such big events, is that with the numbers attending, as testing now stands, with people returning to their own areas all over the country numbers could quickly get back to unsustainable levels and we would be back to where we started.

Smaller numbers using social contact guidelines that would enable contact tracing would minimise that possibility but for big events with large numbers it just would not work for the foreseeable future I`m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

charlie14 wrote: »
    The problem I would see with such big events, is that with the numbers attending, as testing now stands, with people returning to their own areas all over the country numbers could quickly get back to unsustainable levels and we would be back to where we started.

Smaller numbers using social contact guidelines that would enable contact tracing would minimise that possibility but for big events with large numbers it just would not work for the foreseeable future I`m afraid.

oh yeah, I know. My hope is that circumstances may have changed by September to allow them occur.

• Advertisement

Nice interview with Jason Doherty post his recovery from that cruciate ligament injury he suffered in the Donegal match.

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2020-04-29T10_42_04-07_00.mp3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement