Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,250 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

WandaVision is essentially a prologue to Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. So view them as a package deal to watch together.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sorry should have said what i saw, Wanda Vision, dr strange, no way home, Thor and She Hulk. Wasn't sure if Eternals was worth it or just to view a catch up vid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Even a catch-up vid of eternals isn’t worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,290 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Moon Knight can be skipped, doesnt really appear to be linking into anything else yet. Could be a while before anything Eternals-related shows up either though there is talk a sequel will be announced. Falcon & Winter Soldier will lead into some later Phase 5 stuff so can be left for now but will definitely have to be watched imo.

Loki is definitely worth watching before the next Antman film. Ms.Marvel will tie into The Marvels. The Black Widow film leads into Hawkeye which leads into some future MCU shows but also Thunderbolts. But you could probably get away with watching some sort of recap videos of Ms.Marvel and Hawkeye.

Shang-Chi is actually worth a watch too if you haven't. It's decent and will likely lead to bigger things.

• Advertisement

Personally I’d watch Hawkeye and MsMarvel. They’re short episodes and a bit of fun.

I don't know what put me off phase 4. I tried a few times to sit down and watch it but ended up putting on films from phase 1-3 instead. Watched Thor love and thunder last night. Jesus. Was even worse, I had just watched Avengers 2012 the night before and the Thor in that is such a different character, it's mad. Anyway, thanks lads. On my list so is Shang Chi and Loki. I'll hold off on falcon and ms marvel for now.

Also, side note, i had skipped captain marvel on release and never got around to catching up. Playing the new Marvel Midnight Suns game has made me want to watch it as she's class in that so that's next on my list. I'm sure that'll fill in some kree skrull storylines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Phase 4 has felt like that album the band made after an important member left: the sound has been roughly the same, but there has been something intangible lost that left everything a little flatter. Some missing chemistry or flourish that made the old stuff work.

IMO the TV shows have been much stronger than the recent films, with Loki and Hawkeye the standouts for me. Never did finish SheHulk, now that I'm typing.

Shang-Chi wasn't bad, let down by its final.act, while this Sam Raimi fan really enjoyed Dr Strange 2. Love and Thunder was abominable however, avoid unless you've had inoculations against lethal levels of smug

To be honest this is the perfect summary of phase 4.

Yeah I'd recommend watching them at least eventually, I was more going on prioritising the most essential to fully watch to catch up on Phase 4.

Moon Knight and Eternals are currently the only ones I'd consider entirely skippable until we see what's due to come from them.

• Advertisement

The worst thing about Love and Thunder is that whatever movie Bale and the deleted Crowe were acting in seemed a significant upgrade on the dross that was the final version.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,854 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I would say if you enjoyed Shang Chi overall then you'd enjoy Ms. Marvel as they have very similar vibes. Great ensemble cast in my opinion and Iman Vellani is one to watch.

"The Eternals will return" we were warned. I'd take them over Thor any day. Even Chris Hemsworth thinks he's run his course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given the persistent criticism of the MCU inability to fashion good villains, it's a crying shame the one time the villain was absolutely A+ it was in possibly the worst MCU film in years. Christian Bale spun gold with menace and pathos, and it was a genuinely compelling part that challenged Thor's status and purpose - I wonder how much interaction him and Waititi had in actuality.

It felt Gorr was cut so much. At least show him kill a few more gods, he was great in every scene but then it was like it was instantly ruined with awful cringe jokes that undid well the menace that came before it.

I'd love if Love and Thunder got the Norton Hulk treatment and just completely ignored.

Bale deserves a better role in the MCU. Waititi also needs to be kept on a much tighter leash if used again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Same situation with the Eternals, TBH... just with its visual identity rather than a villain. For years I was looking for a Marvel film that looked better than that general bland 'house style'. Finally got it with Eternals, which uses - gasp - actual natural light, thoughtful compositions and even a hint of cosmic awe in that giant creature in the film's finale. But alas it was wedded to what was very possibly the worst of all the MCU films story-wise and pacing-wise. Absolute torture to sit through, despite the handsome visuals.

Phase 4 is a series of '... and the monkey paw curls' double-edged swords 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The problem with Gorr was the same problem with Kilmonger, his motives were largely sympathetic. Where Black Panther managed to counterpoint Kilmonger's views, L&T completely failed in this and didn't even try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭donaghs

Hugh Jackman has put Bryan Singer back in the news. About his x-men On-set behaviour, and other allegations. Not a lot actual detail about what he did on-set.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/hugh-jackman-bryan-singer-ruined-x-men-legacy-1235479611/amp/

So Captain Marvel was actually great, raging I didn't watch that sooner. Looking forward to Ms Marvel and the upcoming Marvels now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I was so pleasantly surprised with Ms Marvel. It was a fun origin story that treated the cultural aspect well and wove in some interesting elements of history - I actually learned something new during an MCU show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That's a great analogy.

I'd even add to it that in those situations bands tend to also try some new things that should be good but end up not quite landing - similar with the MCU.

I think the reception to Captain Marvel was a bit dampened just by when it came out; in between Infinity War and just a few months before Endgame. Hype was so high for Endgame that having an origin story just before it felt like a step down.

But I always enjoyed Captain Marvel. Aside from Sam Jackson looking like he's 40 but moving like he's 70, it's a solid film with some great moments and performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

seems to be warnings in the Antman thread that the new trailer has huge spoilers

I watched it this morning... can't say I've noticed too much spoilerish stuff. It's your typical full trailer, give the basic plot outlines, explosion explosion dramatic music.

This trailer has no humour in it what so ever and seems to have a different tone for Ant-Man completely.

I didn't see anything too spoilery in the trailer either, other than confirmation on some rumours. But in terms of story, Marvel are well versed at concealing things in trailers through editing (eg. editing out characters in the Civil War airport fight, showing Thanos with only two infinity stones in Wakanda even though he had five by that point, not showing that Thor lost an eye in the Ragnarok trailer etc).

I watched it and it felt like i watched a good chunk of the film but sure to be misdirection in there. Wish i didn't watch it though.

Well Shang Chi was **** awesome :D

Nice, glad you enjoyed! Some of the CGI-ness of the third act battle fell flat for me (mainly the armies fighting each other, then fighting the big bats), but I actually loved the dragon v dweller-in-darkness fight and the symbology and imagery of it. And Shang Chi fighting his father was just brilliant.

I enjoyed the first half of the movie. Felt like it lost some momentum and the final battle was a CGI fest which I didn’t enjoy. The bus sequence was amazing at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Phase 4 has been pretty much just a massive dissappointment all round, hard to believe one might think hearing this going into phase 4 considering how all of the prior phases went..

Black Widow - mostly meh, years too late and pretty much pointless, a 2hr move to introduce black widows replacement

Loki - pretty ok but alot of crap ruined it for me

WandaVision - Started off ok with the bit of mystery then turned into a tedious waste of time

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier - Sh!t

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - I enjoyed this, its not near the levels the movies were in the prior phases, my love for kung fu wished they went alot more heavy on the kung fu fight coregoraphy instead of just mostly cgi heavy OTT fights

Eternals - Utter scutter, too many characters and the acting was so cringe i couldnt stick it, its the only Marvel film/show ive ever turned off without finishing.

Spider-Man: No Way Home - Great flick, but i wouldnt really include it in the phase as its not Disney and it shows..

Hawkeye - Complete crap, its like i was watching a super hero version of home alone, and from what went on in it, i am also very worried about how they will handle the Daredevil show..

Moon Knight - Looks great but overall it was meh, it could and should have been soo much better..

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - the motives of the antagonist are just dumb, making the entire movie stupid, but i love Rami so found some enjoyment in it..

It's at this point i grew completely jaded with what was being put out, clearly Marvel were going for just quantiity and pumping their own gender/identity/social political ideals into their movies instead of aiming for any kind of quality of the prior phases and it wasnt going to change..

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law - This looked soo terrible i didnt bother and all of the reviews i skimmed confirmed, much more of the same, just dialed up to 11

Ms. Marvel - The trailer looked like more of the same, but even more cringe, so i skipped..

Thor: Love and Thunder - This was a tough one, i have went to see all the Thor movies in the cinema to date and usually within the first week or two of release, but i heard bad things from the get go, and then decided not to take the risk going to the cinema for it with the covid on the prowl. Watched it recently on Disney+ and it was just crap and all over the place. Which is sad as they should have atleast pumped out something at least half decent with that cast and money thrown into it, it boggles the mind tbh, how can they **** it up THAT MUCH?

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Havent seen it yet, hearing more of the same sh!t though..

I'll go see Ant man next month most likely and that will be my last hurrah for Marvel content for a long time, cept maybe Deadpool 3 which will be fun at the very least.. Oh and GOTG3 of course... But THATS IT! :)

Advertisement