Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

No. Logan, I asked you to give me a refreshing drink. I wasn't expecting a f***ing rainforest! You could fall in love with an orangutan in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I don't think it was an accident that they tied

Namors lack of aging to being a mutant

Like always, them opening a door like that gives them freedom when it comes to the age of the X-men while still being able to keep some of the original storylines if they want to go that direction (e.g., Magneto and Prof X).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Slight tangent note but if I ever get the lottery advertising exec who licenced ELO Mr Blue Sky for their ads and then over used it to death alone in a room then heaven help them. GOTG2 used to be one of my go to - feel better movies and the opening credits with Groot dancing to the music a great set up but now that song just annoys me so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Mark Strong would be great actually (But then I say that about everything). He has the gravitas and is young enough to do it for a while but also the maturity.

And Jason Isaacs

• Advertisement

All about the Multiverse really. God they must love the potential. Anything you want? Multiverse.

I'm thinking of the Simpsons episode with Lucy Lawless. Every inconsistency: A Wizard did it.

• Prof-X isn't Patrick Stewart/James McEvoy: Multiverse
    • Wolverine is supposed to be younger than in Logan but looks older: Multiverse
    • 2 seconds ago that background guy had a different T-shirt on: Bugger.... Uh.... Multiverse??????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Isn't the multi verse a bunch of parallel universes showing different/potential universes? So who gets to choose what universe is worth focusing on at any one time, when there are potentially infinite smashy fighty things happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Flip side is the multiverse kinda kills death as a concept and there's only so many times you can have a Shock Reveal of Character X being alive before it gets stale. They'll want to be careful how much multiverse they dole out.

Yeah. Exactly. TBH, I'm surprised Tony Stark is still dead.......

Marvel choose?? The MCU we followed up until Endgame was one universe and I don't them moving away from that aside from one off situations, like What If and maybe Deadpool. Leveraging the former X-men and Spiderman universes is just easy storytelling rather than having to give full backstories to certain characters (obviously nostalgia sells too). Why introduce two random actors as Peter Parkers from other universes and having to explain their histories/loss etc when they can just use Garfield and Maguire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

We're currently in the Multiverse Saga (where Phase 1-3 were the Infinity Saga). So I imagine the end of Phase 6 (Secret Wars) will mostly put an end to Multiverse stuff, while also allowing them to recast or bring back characters.

Not sure I see it getting stale for the audience to see crossovers with characters from other universes that we know. People love seeing earned crossovers as can be seen by how well most crossover MCU movies or even comics do compared to most single character ones. The audience want to see characters they loved from the past interact with the current characters they love.

I was very anti the use of the multiverse for the death issue and many other reasons but so far they've done a decent job at avoiding those pitfalls.

Any characters that returns via the multiverse aren't those we knew in the main MCU timeline. I'd be surprised if this isnt repeated again and again during GotG 3 with Gamora to set expectations for the audiences for later multiverse crossovers.

Having said that no matter how many times they hit audiences over the head with it when they eventually have Stark or Rogers in Secret Wars, there will still be a sizeable portion of people who will say they 'brought them back to life' when they're going to be completely different characters having lived different lives beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Of course Marvel choose, but isn't whatever story they choose a bit moot as technically it's cancelled out multiple times somewhere else or maybe I'm over thinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Oops, didn't realize trailer posted already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Are there spoilers for the GOTG holiday special in that trailer 😅

quote from james gunn who's off the DC

"One more time with feeling. The teaser trailer for for the finale of the Guardians Trilogy."

It isn't moot as in the MCU we're following one group of characters in their specific universe so for them there are real stakes.

The concept of the multiverse is a real thing so the same logic as to why we care about what happens to us in our lives applies to the characters. It isnt much comfort for us if a loved one dies knowing that there are potentially other universes out there where they didnt. They touch on that with Wanda in MoM where even if you could get to a loved one in another universe they aren't your loved one.

Now I could see more of your argument when it comes to DC given how often they reboot characters in new universes - you can still feel for characters in more self-contained stories but the stakes are much lower when they are likely to reboot them in a few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Acosta

The Guardians Holiday Special was OK but felt a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Haven't watched it yet, but after Guardians 2, my grà for them has waned...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Acosta

Yeah? Weird, as I think that's easily the best Marvel flick of the lot. What annoys me about the last two Avengers movies is they have messed up what was shaping up to be a great trilogy. Obviously Guardians 3 could still be great, but the story has been broken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I loved GOTG2 (although see earlier about how the Lottery have made the opening scene unbearable).

• Registered Users Posts: 85,466 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Eiza Gonzalez is rumoured to be Marvel’s top choice for Sue Storm

• Registered Users Posts: 60,398 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

She was rumoured to be Elektra two months ago and the hate she got on social media made her come out and say she never spoke with Marvel and she just signed up to other projects

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So if a GQ interview is to be believed, Dave Bautista is stepping away from Drax after Guardians 3. Probably for the best, the character had become a bit one note.

“I’m so grateful for Drax. I love him,” he says. “But there’s a relief [that it’s over]. It wasn’t all pleasant. It was hard playing that role. The makeup process was beating me down. And I just don’t know if I want Drax to be my legacy—it’s a silly performance, and I want to do more dramatic stuff.” 

Gotta love this piece of shade thrown at his fellow wrestler turned actor but IMO, Bautista has been quietly proving himself a much stronger actor. And one willing to take on varied, interesting roles.

“I never wanted to be the next Rock,” he puts it plainly. “I just want to be a good fúcking actor. A respected actor.” 

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I wouldn't take it as shade being thrown. No context given. Like was he asked if he wanted to be the next Rock? But I would read his reply like he just wants to concentrate on being an actor instead of worrying about being the next Rock. He's probably fed up with the comparisons because of the similar backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So, after missing much of phase 4, I've decided to try catch up before phase 5, especially to prepare for quantumania and secret invasion. I definitely can't catch up on all tv shows/movies but are there any essential and any worth just catching a summary video? I'm guessing Loki, Ms. Marvel are worth watching and will add quite a bit to phase 5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

WandaVision is important to Dr Strange Multiverse of Madness.

Advertisement