Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Jesus things are very bleak for us. Bet by 2 points after undeservedly getting close then refusing to kick points that were on in injury time. Close result flatters us. So poorly set up, I don't blame the players at all. You'd have to wonder what our coaches actually work on in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

We are in bad shape at all levels. What have we, 1 win from our last 8 games at Minor U21 and Senior?

The future looks as grim as the present, the ever optimistic Damien Donohoe was left trying to spin a 7 point loss for our minors against Derry as having hopeful signs.

There's a huge knot of problems and even if it was known how to untangle it, I'm not sure if the desire is there to do it.

Depressing, depressing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

What sort of a management CV does Larry Reilly have?

Maybe the focus should be back on the county development set up. Here is a thought...

Ballyconnell/Kildallon - one fringe player on the panel, when is the last time they had a starting player on county team

Belturbet - No player on the county panel, last regular? Jason O Reilly?

Killeshandra - No starting player with Cavan since Stephen King in 1997. Shocking

Cootehill - I am thinking no player on current panel

Bailieboro - No one since Michael Argue and even he hasn't featured as a regular since He was about 21/22

Kingscourt - Bar Faulkner, not enough from a large population area

Virgina/Ramor - Poor return from there considering one of best club teams. Seems like a real apathy towards county

Ballinagh - I don't think anyone on the current panel

Cavan Gaels - One player on county panel, shocking return for once kingpins

These are major population areas in the county

So if I am county development officer is this not where the problem is in the county and why are these clubs producing so little? Maybe something is being done and it will come in time but Cavan seem to be pulling a team from only half the clubs of the county which is a very poor reflection on how things are being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

One of the graphics on the thread showed the Cavan starting 15 for a game consisting of 2 from Crosserlough, and 13 from 13 other clubs. Management have to take whatever the best talent is there in the clubs. Dublin had only one from Kilmacud - Dublin, Leinster and All Ireland club champions, in the 30 man squad for the 2023 All Ireland Final.

Clubs can have very strong set ups, but with dozens of them in a county, there is no guarantee that they all can supply a player good enough to get into a 36 ? man county panel. Like the selection of the All Stars, there could be an abundance of players suited to certain positions. I would expect that Galligan and his staff have looked far and wide for talent. Shown by the inclusion of a Kildallan player, something very rare I think?

• Advertisement

I don't think the point is that there are great players out there and they are being ignored. I think at club level, in these larger population centres, the required quality of player is not being produced. This is a question 1- of participation levels and 2- the quality of coaching being provided in clubs and I suppose in schools.

Schools is a big thing, next year will be a decade since Pat's last MacRory Cup. A Tyrone school have just defended the Hogan Cup. We had two Tyrone sides in the final. Derry schools are usually extremely strong in all competitions.

Is there anything done to focus on bringing football to the youngsters where they spend most of their time and we have a captive audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tazman06

Paddy Meade from Kingscourt, and Evan Finnegan from Ballinagh also on panel. But yeah agree with your overall point

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Well if you heard the carry on ans what they were working on. County Board never learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭rrs

Kildallon were beaten by Arva last year in the Junior Quarter final 17 pts to 1. O Neill does his best, but when playing at a low level it's a big ask.

Ryan Tobin with the U20s plays with Maghera They do well to win 1 or 2 games in a year.

Co Board should be looking at 3 or 4 Divisional teams in Seniors championship.

• Advertisement

Who has overall responsibility for player development in County Cavan, is the title Games Development Manager or something like that.

There was never an acknowledgement of Martin Reilly finishing. He probably didn't want the publicity,but something to show he was finished with County.

The same with Gearoid Mckiernan. Or did he finish on his terms?

Is it Dermot McCabe?

We are now firmly the 6th best side at all levels. And even at that, Fermanagh are turning us over occasionally.

At least during the heartbreak era of the noughties we were competitive at underage.

Clubs also need to take some responsibility but part of games development is to assist the clubs coach their youth properly.

The County board are doing a good bit of work with club coaches at the moment with running work shops and are going into the clubs and taking sessions with the kids to give ideas to coaches on how to run a training session. They can probably do no more than that but i don't believe they have gone to that level in others years.

Someone mentioned the quality of coaching in schools and clubs, the majority of clubs are doing their best but anyone who is involved in any club committee will know that it isn't easy to get people involved and go out and do the coaching and those that do are often getting abused by parents of kids who do noting for the club other than use it as a drop off center. In relation to the schools does any other school get the same level of coaching as St Pat's?

Northern schools have advantage in that they are there in school a year longer than South. Pats Cavan had players repeating so they could give the MacRory a good rattle in 15. A few players also switched schools to Pats. Brendan Argue and McGovern from swad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The website has the 2023 Committee, Gareth Fitzpatrick Development Officer. I don't see a 2024 version.

https://cavangaa.ie/county-committee/

Crazy parents is a problem but its a problem everyone has and I have had my fair share. And yes always the ones that wouldnt lift a finger, but that is probably present in every county. The good people are there if clubs really want to find them but sometimes its easier to let some eejit take a team doing everything wrong rather than decline his/her advances in favour of someone else?

The thing with not making a recognition of Martin Reilly and Gearoid McKiernan does not sit well with me. We need to develop a positive culture around football in the county. Recognition of amazing service for those 2 lads is part of that, the same as presenting framed jerseys to lads making 100 caps is. I cannot understand how both were allowed to drift off without a word of formal thanks. Maybe that was their wish but if seems like a totally wrong thing. Small things like that effect the culture in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭etuzyuk

Club coaching, minor county co-manager, club first team manager. Much more extensive than current county senior team manager.

What clubs was he involved with other than his own?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭etuzyuk

I can't recall any but maybe someone else can clarify.

Underage feels very different now than under the days of Highland and Tom Reilly. There seemed to be real intent, structure and investment into the setups with large well drilled squads and no stones unturned. But lots weren't happy and wanted a more off the cuff approach with more focus on bringing "flair players" through. I even heard some lament they were sick of underage successes and just wanted a marquee forward on the seniors!

In any case we are where we are and there's plenty of apathy around again in regards to our county teams with both fans and players. I really have no faith in the current chairman or decision makers.

• Advertisement

It's more or less been ran as a company now and a lot of effort is going into making money which will be needed for the new development. I don't know if this is having any effect on funding for the county squads.

I think this the last year of the current chairman's term? Many the new man won't be as corporate focused

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mogue77

they really need to go back to pushing the development squads like they were before, why was there a big drop off in development squads development for a good few years when it had been fairly successful?.

I'd say they will they are committed to the polo grounds and that won't come cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Most of the full time coaches they had upped and left and took all their experience with them. They used to have a good team of 7 or 8 coaches - McCabe, McGovern, Conroy, Whartons x 2, Greene - but they were allowed to walk away and pursue other opportunities because the purse strings were too tight.

Now they don’t have enough to coach the development squads so they are asking clubs, who are struggling to get coaches themselves, to send in coaches for the development squads.

We’re now basically back to the 30 or 40 year old setup of send a coach from your club in to get a few players in there on panels.

There was fella from Fermanagh too, Shaun Doherty. He is back working as coach in the Fermanagh schools and development Squads.

Some off those lads are still coaching in St Pats and around the clubs are they not involved with development squads anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

One of the Whartons is in St Pats at the minute as a teacher so is doing a bit of coaching too.

He, Andy McGovern and Conroy are coach trainers now and work as contractors where basically the county board pay them, after their normal working hours in their jobs, to go and teach coaches in the clubs.

It’s a long way off them being a full time employee. Clubs usually get about an hour with one of them a month, maybe two hours.

• Advertisement

Given they have been the coaches throughout some terrible years underage, would there not be questions over the quality of coaching they are delivering?

Advertisement