Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheGadfly

TBH, I haven't been to many of the senior games. My children are playing underage and I see more of it from that end but I do know huge work is being done. ECG have a very strong contingent involved in the senior county team.

Obviously the interest is more from parents and immediate family members of players but it is growing and from small acorns grow big oaks! It is impressive how they've developed a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Big win for the minors over Fermanagh. 3-15 to 1-7. I think that qualifies them for the Semi Final which is important if they want to be a top seed for Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tazman06

Big win for the hurlers too. 2-13 to 0-13 but was tighter than that for most of the game. Into the semis next week v Sligo. Some going after being newly promoted

Post edited by tazman06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭mogue77

That’s great, I think they needed to win by 10 points to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

10 points down and its not half-time yet. Far too easy for Armagh.

• Advertisement

The hurlers? Just needed to win today. Into a semi final next week. 2nd v 3rd. Winner plays Mayo week after as they finished 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Can someone explain how it is that Cavan players seem to drop like flies at trainings. What other team loses 3 starting players in 2 weeks and no game played? We had no chance with those injuries. Now asking 2 lads who've been out for weeks to come in and play 70 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Armagh are light years ahead of us, just as well Kildare and Cork were a shambles.

Christ 2 - 12 to 0 - 4. A total cave in.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭benjy1000

shambolic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

OK I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭benjy1000

Light years away, what does galligan be at with them in training. The big bus must have ran out of diesel

Damien Donohoe will be embarrassed when he listens back to the podcast where he reckoned how many Cavan forwards would make Armagh team. The answer is none.

You're sounding like the rugby lads with that talk. Of course some of them would get in with that service and running support they got all day. Is being bad today doesn't mean individual forwards are bad

2-21 to 0-12

Where do you go from that

Damien Donohoe has a habit of getting completely carried away with himself, i wouldn’t pay much heed to the rubbish he comes out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭mogue77

The minor’s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

That's embarrassing 😳.

Fermanagh got a right kicking today aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I thought Armagh would be five to ten points better but that was a shambles. Just 3 weeks to Monaghan now so you would have to hope anyone with slight knocks will be wrapped in cotton wool and that is why players didn’t feature today.

As for WAC, they yet again called this one a “defining game” - I think I already mentioned on here how these “defining” games come around at least twice a year.

I’ve said it all year. We’d have no business in Division One and it could be a long Summer if we make the All Ireland series and get the wrong draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

A blind man would know we have no business in Division 1

Armagh and Donegal will likely struggle there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭piplip87

That was absolutely shambolic. Anytime we looked to break we went backwards, sidewards and let them set their defence.

The lack of goal scoring chances created throughout the league has me worried amd out lack of scoring forwards against a decent defensive set up is worrying.

Paddy Lunch has offered nothing bar frees.

I honestly think they used the second half as a training session to work on creating goal scoring chances and just as well they did because of Armagh took points it could have been another 7 or 8.

Are we guaranteed Sam Maguire football or is the Tailteann cup still a possibility if we lose to Fermanagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

That was a mess. The game as a contest (and that's a stretch) was over even before the first goal went in. A shambles at the back. I cannot believe how naive we were in our set up- walking the ball into a blanket and taken apart on the break.

Fair play to Armagh- out fought and out played us in every single way. Their swarm tackling was ferocious and we didn't have any answer. The difference in the space we gave their forwards versus how they hunted us down was like night and day.

Very disappointing. Everyone was saying "if we play like we did against Meath, we'll get massacred". Well, that was worse.

Only thing for it to thaw out. I know I am probably missing something but that's the worst performance I've witnessed in a long, long time. Thanks to Covid we were all spared the Wicla debacle. Thinking Tyrone in 2019 was similarly woeful and at least you could somewhat understand that coming back from the Ulster final loss and the beer bus debacle. Right, I'm off for a beer.

I'm usually a "glass half full*" sort of Cavan fan, so I am going to try and think if there is something positive. Oisin Kiernan, McVeety and Conor Brady all coming back in. Ryan O'Neill kept going and kicked some nice scores.

That's it.

They are a brilliant bunch of lads and I have the height of regard for them, but that was so disappointing. That was a bad day at the office for lots of them, and I know we were getting a tanking but some lads really looked off the pace by a million miles. I don't like naming and shaming lads but there are a few performances there were so poor. We had no intensity at all in anything we did. All the talk was about getting revenge for a gutless display last April in Breffni. Out fought for every single ball, bullied out of the game, ran into traffic and seemingly neither a defensive or attacking plan that I could see.

I wouldn't be hitting the panic button as yet- I was worried at the start of the year with new management that we might get sucked into a relegation fight. We've done really well but that game has to be picked apart from a tactical perspective. And in every other game we played this year we showed tremendous heart and passion. Not today- there wasn't a bit of fight or belief in us. Big week for Ray and the team as they will have to get a bounce back from that game for Sunday.

*That glass is going to be full, half full, emptied and refilled a few times to unpack from travelling down to witness that.

We're essentially in it. Would take extreme results such as many Division 3 and 4 sides making finals. Clare will do so, but can't see others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

If we get 3rd by beating Fermanagh, Sam Maguire is guaranteed I’d imagine. The issue is, the exact same as last year when they came to Breffni, Fermanagh’s need is greater.

Monaghan are coming down now so next year we’ll have another few Ulster derbies in the League.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

So I was right in what I said 2 weeks ago….😪

• Advertisement

I heard we are playing Dublin tomorrow in a challenge game. Make of that what you will.

Advertisement