Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Perhaps that is part of the reason they were let walk away but then….

A) why weren’t they replaced?
    B) why are they now basically working as contractors?

I’m just providing what info I know from the visits to my own club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

The salary is poor for them roles anyway it wouldn't be something for someone with a mortgage and family. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭rrs

Derry won the Ulster Minor league final beating Down. They have a conveyor belt of talent coming through.

Armagh beat Tyrone in the Shield final. Armagh won the U16 Buncrana Cup last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

It would be interesting to see exactly what Derry changed at underage over the past 10-15 years to kick off this period of dominance. I remember when they beat us in the minor final in 2016 their backroom team was enormous, presume they have huge funding.

There will, rightly, be a huge focus on funding the infrastructure around Breffni for the next few years. Something needs to be done to stop the rot at underage level though.

Derry is a county with a quarter of a million people in it. There are 85,000 people in the city of Derry alone so significantly more than the whole of our county.

Derry always had good players but struggled for years to get them playing together. Gallagher seemed to change that.

The huge elephant in the room is we’ve too many clubs. Why can’t we produce top forwards? Because the best young players in juvenile teams are carrying underage sides a lot of the time so very few can be left inside to grow as a forward and hone their skills.

It’s no coincidence that the two best Cavan scoring forwards of the last two decades, Johnston & Lynch, came from good underage teams in large clubs where they could be afforded that luxury because there were other players in their team capable of playing out the pitch and getting the ball to them.

How anyone can argue it’s viable that Dernacrieve is a four or five club amalgamation and they’re still playing in lower divisions like Division 3 at juvenile level is beyond me.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

Do any of the County board coaches have involvement with the minors or 20's this year or in previous years?

Andy McGovern, who spent a decade I’d say with the county board, and is now basically a contractor, is definitely with the U20s. He was named on the ticket.

Generally each development panel used to have one member of the coaching and games group with them but my understanding is they now don’t have enough staff to do that and are relying on clubs providing coaches.

Ollie Costello from Crosserlough was with the U16s who won the Gerry Reilly last year. Keith Greene works with the hurling panels.

Jack Wharton used to work with some of the U16s and minors but he went to Australia for a while. I think he’s back now.

Your club will definitely be having sessions with someone the county board are paying each month so why not call down and see for yourself what you think of it.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

• Advertisement

They have been out with us already a very useful session.

Which coach? What session was it you attended? There are titles on the different ones they do for the different age groups.

Conor Smith has scored heavily in the first 2 Rounds of the League ,albeit in Division 2. Did he opt out or wasn't selected at the start of the year? Johnny McCabe opted out. Brandon Boylan was another forward who featured last year. Not sure if he was selected for the panel this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭piplip87

Ramor off to a flying start in the League. Young lads really stepping up to the plate.

Ramor have only played Ballyhaise, who are missing a number of their most important players due to county duties, and Cuchulainns so I wouldn’t get ahead of yourself yet piplip. We’ll see how they fare against the big boys.

I was told Smith opted out to work on his fitness issues last year. It was a mutual agreement rather than him being cut. Boylan opted out himself.

Boylan had a good few good games in the league ,but was a bit off the pace in the Championship. The physicality up a level in championship. But it was his first year on the panel. It would take a few years to get up to the S/C of Senior County.

It was McCabe first year too, but he would be older.

It’s very harsh to say he was “a bit off the pace in championship”. He got a couple of minutes against Armagh, 20 minutes against Laois & London, scored 2-2 against Offaly and the whole team was terrible against Down.

I’ve said this previously. The top club teams in Cavan have very good S&C compared to some other counties. For the level we were playing at last year, it was more than adequate. Meath won the Tailteann after introducing a number of brand new players post their dreadful League campaign.

Watching Shane McGuigan today, he doesn’t ever look to have a huge amount of S&C and it doesn’t stop him leading backs on a merry dance.

Yeah, he did do well against Laois, London and Offaly. Those teams were terrible in the Tailtean Cup though. But yes the whole team were poor against Down. Down were full of running while Cavan looked like they were playin in quick sand. Cavan should have been well conditioned but it didbn't show

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Cavan lost to down due to tactics, allowing down to win their own kickouts short and play their fast through the hands running game. Meath aggressively squeezed them in the final, wiped them out at midfield and didn't let them play as much. That's how I saw it.

Anyone giving us a chance against Monaghan? The build up reminds me of 2020, not much optimism. Maybe they'll surprise us!

• Advertisement

Yea Cavan didn't push up as they had the size advantage. But even in attack Cavan were slow and lateral. Down were running direct with Ryan Johnson and Liam Kerr.

Monaghan will have been hurting from 20 as they had been coasting in that game. They just sat back and invited Cavan on

The first championship game in a longer time they won't have Rory Began. Maybe that could be a factor on Sunday but Cavan need big improvement. Monaghan were at least performing in the last few division 1 games

It’s hard to believe Meath had played Offaly twice last year and couldn’t beat them either time - draw in League by the skin of their teeth and lost to them in championship.

My point is I think we put too much emphasis on strength and conditioning. There are plenty of top players who aren’t built like brick sh!thouses playing at the upper echelons of the game.

Most promising talents in the county are now starting gym work with either a development panel or even their own club at U16 level. As I’ve said, I believe you have clubs like Crosserlough, Ramor & Gowna that are doing that much work themselves that their players should be near county S&C level if called upon.

Our chances against Monaghan all depends on who we can get on the pitch. Clarke, Faulkner, Gerry, Holla, Rahan Kiernan, McLoughlin, McVeety & Lynch all need to play if we’ve any chance. We could also do with Conor Brady but he never seems to be fully fit for county.

Yeah maybe so, Liam Kerr and Ryan Johnson are well conditioned players and have been playing County a good while. It wasn't the only reason Down won, but they done serious damage in that Tailtean Cup game last year from the half forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭etuzyuk

There's never anything in this fixture but this year I'm really not looking forward to it. Very similar to 2020 and although we somehow won, Monaghan cut through us at their ease that day and should have been a cricket score ahead at half time. A combination of complacency and the tactical genius of Banty on the line, a master class in both dead ball kicking and shot stopping from Galligan and a gale force wind behind us for the last 15 minutes where we were hitting points from everywhere spun the game on its head and shellshocked the Farney men. Even at that it took an inexplicable miss from McManus from 25 yards that brought us to extra time.

I thought our energy and effort very good start of league, rode our luck a bit of course but since Ardee something looks really wrong. Energy levels against Meath and since have looked off and if I'm honest I'm a bit worried from what I've seen of him that our manager is out of his depth. In his defence we're going through a huge transition and rebuild but maybe someone with more experience and less close to some of our players would be more appropriate.

Our midfield was non existent during the league with no options off the bench either. When run at with speed and purpose our defence looks porous. We're very short of pace too in a vital area at the back and can be turned too easily. It's difficult to see where our strengths like exactly at the moment. We need to have our ruffs up for this from the off and make a real battle of it. If Monaghan settle early and get the scoreboard running it could get very ugly. So we can't afford to be too open but we can't sit back either and invite them onto us. I have no idea how we'll setup and these fixtures never go to form but without a few big performers in the middle of the field we're going to struggle no matter what unfolds. That's what has me worried the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭benjy1000

I’m not holding out any hope at all.

I don’t think they will get a bad bating but I think it will be one of them games where Monaghan will always keep them at arms way & Cavan will go through the motions & it will Peter out.

Monaghan by 5.

Beggan seems to be back in training with Monaghan. I thought he would get a NFL offer

https://t.co/OTIqs8YLDv

He’s very old compared to the other players. NFL players always say NFL stands for “Not For Long”. You hear lads barely 30 being referred to as veterans.

Yeah it must be the age factor, because he kicked very well. Tom Brady played into his 40s ,but he wasn't a newbie.

Plenty of players do play up to their 40s but they are established players.

• Advertisement

It's alot to do with the amount of abuse their bodies have taken it shouldn't have any relevance to a kicker if they are still producing the goods.

Advertisement