Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

We could quite easily be. There are plenty of panel members haven’t got much playing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Really not sure where we are this year, even before the Armagh debacle, the thing that has disappointed me most is that outside Gary O Rourke in goals, none of the lads new to the panel have staked any serious claim to a first team spot, once everyone is available.

You'd have to question the reasoning behind that, as although Senior IC is a big step up, some of these lads have been standing out players in the club championships but have looked completely out of their depth and the. Is it coaching, strength and conditioning? I've only been at 2/6 league games,so I'm not the best one on here to speculate... It's worrying though. I'm hoping Armagh was just a bad day and not a sign of things to come or we could be in for some difficult days in the Sam Maguire group stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

That result at weekend seem to have knocked the stuffing out of everyone here.

Anyone have any update on injuries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Alright, time for the lads to dust themselves down and really put in a big performance on Saturday. 2 reasons. 1) Need to make sure we don't go against Monaghan with 2 loss and a draw as our last 3 games and 2) We need to get a win at home. Our home record is just unacceptable at this stage and I'm sure the players and management think the same.

However I'm sure Fermanagh will stuff their defence with 15 players and try to turn this into a slog fest so it won't be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheGadfly

I'm still not the better of it. I wasn't at it now but the radio was enough. I attended the hurling in Breffni and then planned on heading up after but decided against it. Fair play to all those who travelled though.

On a more positive note, the hurlers ground out a great win in tough conditions. Very impressive. Tight stuff and no holding back. Warriors. It was a drumlin Derby after all and if the footballers show half as much grit and determination we'll get the win in the preliminary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Injury update? My pride is still badly damaged :)

One of the things that I've noticed is that we are (and have been) really struggling to make inroads into well-drilled blanket defences (Armagh twice in 12 months, Fermanagh at home last year, Down twice in Breffni last year) for example. In wanting to play attacking football (great) the opposition seem to be content to give us primary position, get into a good defensive shape and then hit us on the break. Hopefully we are a lot tighter on Saturday but could not believe how we ran into Armagh's defensive traps and then got picked off time and time again on the break.

According to the Celt, Dublin fielded a strong team and won 5-16 to 2-22. Good to see our reserves can score goals! Three from the Armagh game lined out.

You made a good call on the hurling! I wonder will Myles stay at home for the Sligo game.

In terms of the football, with some level of hindsight, whilst it was really (REALLY) bad, some of it was a perfect storm. We were against a tight breeze and got it tactically wrong. Armagh played with an intensity we didn't (or worse, couldn't) match and even before the goal, it looked like our heads dropped. Armagh missed very little and once they got on top, we looked out of sorts and very leggy. Being positive- it was a one off.

Being more negative (or realistic): our form and energy has dipped since the second half of the Cork game. We fell over the line against Louth and just about got to grips with an average enough Meath team. We look tired and really and S&C wise way off the pace from Armagh. We looked defensively tidy in the opening two games but are back to being a team that is easy to cut open once teams run at us.

I would love a win to end the league, but if there are doubts to the likes of Faulkner, Jason, Gerry and so on, doubt they will be risked before the Monaghan game. I would like to see the Holla, Carolan and Clarke get a rest. The former has been on the go non-stop and we need him firing in Clones.

On that basis, and with no reference to last weekend, I am going with the following guess:

O Rourke, Kiernan from Denn, Gunner, Cian Reilly, Oisin Kiernan, O'Connell, Tiarnan Madden, Conor Brady, Hoffman, Cian Madden, McVeety, Oisin Brady, Ryan O Neill, Paddy Lynch, Cormac Reilly

I don't think Tiarnan Madden is as effective at half forward, he is far better picking the ball up deeper (like last year). Need game time in Kiernan, Conor Brady and McVeety so lash them in. Ryan O'Neill the only forward with any credit from Saturday so he's a definite. Would love to rest Paddy Lynch but who would replace him? Hoffman looked okay when he came on, and to be honest neither James Smith nor Ryan Donohoe have done enough with plenty of game time so I would go with Hoffman to give him a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Blue47

Starting team

• Advertisement

No, I will go to the football. Don't have any interest in hurling and please don't shoot me for saying so. That's just my preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Great to see Luke Fortune back in. I still can’t understand how he hasn’t featured more after being excellent in the 2020 Ulster season.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Caoimhin Reilly scored 7 against the dubs I believe, heard he was outstanding, great to see him picking up form, coming close to championship time.Brian O Connell at fullback is an interesting one. He's so consistent, rarely has a bad game and is a very good man marker, If he had started on McCurry in 2021, things might have been different.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭benjy1000

Desperate stuff.

Luckily the league is over because if there was another few rounds of it, they wouldn’t be long sliding into the relegation zone.

Will finish 5th now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,570 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Another terrible first half. 3 points scored against a team Louth destroyed last week.

Another gutless half of football. The whole thing is unraveling very quickly. Our forward play is diabolical. We have major issues all over the pitch and what's worse is that Fermanagh are total rubbish too but good enough to be 5 points up against us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

That is atrocious stuff they either had the legs ran off them during the week or we are going backwards quickly....

Very naive defending for the goal was surprised with holla

James smith offering nothing but the inevitable black or red card

There'll be lots of place in clones if the 2nd half doesn't improve...

Where the f is mcveety?

You’d be sick a looking at them.

Galligans big bus has ran out of diesel.

Louth beat these lads by 24 points last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tazman06

We're terrible, but can we stop this nonsense. They're not that bad a team. You'll not do that to them twice in a row

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

Stop Fermanagh are shocking,if Cavan don't make the Sam Maguire league this year over losing to Fermanagh at home,that will go down as one of our worst result over the years up there with Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

We're still finishing 3rd or 4th so we'll be in Sam Maguire barring a couple of freak results

Hopefully but Meath are in so that means we are below Meath and cork in the rankings for it

No business being at in there, what will Dublin or Kerry do to them 🙈

Very true,I think very lucky in div 2 this year,got cork at the right time and lucky against Louth and Meath , hopefully we can improve and aren't showing everything

Do you think we're gonna beat them by 24 points or something? It's a stupid point when they're fighting to stay up and we're not. We are terrible like I said, but let's not get ridiculous here

Another atrocious performance, and we deserved nothing tonight. But have to mention that they easily scored 1-3 on the back of stone wall frees that ref did not give us and they went straight up the field. It's not good enough

Should still be beaten them at home,Cavan have the Sam league to play for , maybe there is more in Cavan and we will see in a couple a week's against Monaghan

• Advertisement

Breffni hasn’t been a fortress in many a year unfortunately, glad the Monaghan game is in clones not that they will do much beyount

Advertisement