Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Unless Omega **** up badly (which they have done before) they will have plenty of stock and I predict these to drop to below retail quickly.

Like some one said above. They are a shitter without being a shitter. They will hit the gshock market hard.

Intwrviewer- Your new nickname will be “ballsy”

Everyone that knows about Travis-lol is that not his old nickname

Hmmmmm. After watching it I see no one but Anthony saw the invaders he had to “wake everyone” else up after they were gone.

Suspicious. Surely they would have cased all rooms looking for the briefcases etc and would have been concerned if they hadn’t that they could have been attacked themselves if they hadn’t secured all people in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Those must have been some expensive dummy cases that were stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

#masseurgate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Have the cod piece genitals split up now...Marco and Travis separate? Dont know how Anthony thinks he can pull it off on his own. Its going to be hard..not blow it. Maybe he will be showered glory. Hole he is digging for himself is hilarious. He certainly rubs me up the wrong way, and doesn't tug on the heart strings. He dropped the ball. Sack of watch's in his house...crazy. But time will tell if he comes out, on top or bottom.

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Does anyone know what this is? There is a guy selling it in Vietnam and he says it's nearly 50 years old. 200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Post edited by unkel on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not quartz or electronic, but an automatic mechanical Bulova. T'is writ on the dial, that's how expert I am. 😁 Early 70's I'd guess? If there's a pic of the back it'll have a date code letter. Something like M9, which would be 1969, or N3, which would be 1973.

The electronic uning fork ones are more collectable, but their mechanicals have a following too, particularly in the US. They're generally nicely built watches. That it's in Vietnam could well have a connection to the American presence there at the time and not just military. 200 quid seems reasonable as it looks in very good condition, especially for such a climate like Vietnam. Usually the damp and heat fecks up the dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I get the logic but, for me the Bulova would win as it's a flight qualified model that was space flown.

It doesn't have the Omega on the dial but it has a similar although less advertised history IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well, not quite Banie. The Bulova had an interesting history alright. The powers that be at Bulova were pushing NASA for years to use American watches. They had a big in with NASA anyway, because their tuning fork movements were extensively used as clocks on spacecraft and on the ground, so there were far more Bulovas than Omega involved in spaceflight. Plus a lot of the test pilot and astronaut corps loved them. Problem was they didn't have a chronograph. They bought in a whole watch(from whom I can't remember at the moment, but it was a very limited run), stuck Bulova on the dial and gave it to astronaut Dave Scott on Apollo 15. He then went on to wear it on his last moonwalk after he said his Omega failed(dubious, though they had suffered failures before). That was its moment. Dave came back stuck it in a drawer and then a bankvault until it was sold at auction a few years ago. Bulova never capitalised on it in the end. Maybe because it was unauthorised?* They had capitalised on their Accutron/NASA connection alright in their marketing. The current model of course shares little if anything with that original watch save for the design.

*there had been a scandal around astronauts bringing stamps in their personal kit to be sold off after they came back through this dealer they knew. After that things of that nature were clamped down on hard, so maybe Dave Scott thought feck that. Ditto for Bulova.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

I believe Dave Scott also sued Bulova after they brought out their Lunar pilot for using his image without authorisation in the commemorative booklet that came with the watch. I picked up one new a couple of years back from the States and anything with a reference to him had been removed from the box, apparently that was the reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

People are just putting ridiculous prices up for the craic at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭griffin100

That’s beyond ridiculous. I hope whomever came up with this marketing ploy / product in Swatch is getting a big bonus, this is surely beyond anything they could have hoped for.

Have they created a whole new watch segment or is this type of product only realistic when 2 ‘household’ watch names are involved?

I think G Shock sales will suffer - similar price point for aesthetic watches (let’s be honest, how many G Shocks are bought for their functions). These new models also seem to appeal to women as well.

Reminds me of the film “I am legend” .

How far and diluted has the speedmaster become?

From the manual heselite version too……….automatic versions, saphire versions, 4 million limited editions, to this, what ever this is.

Is it going ti be a successful sales move? Looks like it early doors. But….meh.

It does highlight how far out of kilter speedie prices have gone. 6k **** lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Poor guys working at that testing centre. That dude needs to go to therapy.

it would have taken me 5 minutes to find some one else there to pay for it on their credit card and you give them cash then.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Had not seen this gimp in a very long time, id forgotten how repulsive he is.

They are really going out of their way to ensure few western interests will take the risk of dealing with them again, sanctions or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Hi All,

Sorry for not being more active on here as of late, it's been a busy couple of weeks.

On Sunday the 13th of March, I was in Birmingham attending another fair. Got to meet up with 4 of the guys that I met at the BHI, 2 from the taster day,2 from the week course.

Unfortunately the Omega was a little above my price range! Didn't buy anything this time but had fun meeting up with everyone again and got some more info regarding the watchmaking school's.

Then yesterday, back in Birmingham again for the day. I have applied for the Horology course in September at Birmingham City University, more details about the course: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/horology-ba-hons-2022-23

I was attending an open day which is located in the Jewelry Quarter

Arrived early and got a tour by a student in his final year, the dial above is part of the final year project

The equipment there was fantastic! Here's some examples of projects done by students

I got a chance to meet the head of the course, Jeremy Hobbins who also was a student himself at Birmingham. Since I was there, we got to have a chat about my application which would otherwise have been done over video which was much better.

The course is 3 years with an option to take a year out to do work placement. The course is full time, Monday- Fridays 8am-8pm. They encourage students to spend as much time as possible in the class, while we were there, there was student working away on their projects.

A great day out, really enjoyed meeting with Jeremy and the students, seeing what BCU has to offer. It would be a fantastic opportunity to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think casio have carved out a niche with g-shocks, i highly doubt this would effect them. Stuff like garmin, apple, suunto are more their market. Also, i think every builder, plumber, sparks in the country wears a g-shock

IP, watching your dive into watches and your discovery of it as something you want to pursue really has been a joy to follow.

Birmingham is a great city, plenty of Irish there and if it's something that you can give yourself over to? I wish you the very best of luck with it and should you ever manufacture a piece?

I'll put my name on your wait list (and likely still have one before a Rolex 😛)

As always, thanks for your photos and your impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I'll probably get slated for this being a Seamaster owner, but a relative is looking for a moonswatch. Just wondering where in Ireland could you get one? AFAIK the Swatch store in Dublin shut down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Nowhere until they start selling via the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Wow, that the cringiest thing I've seen in a long time. That man is not okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I see Sinn are getting in on the colourful dial hype train with new versions of the 556i and the U50 - https://www.sinn.de/en/New_Watches.htm

They are limited editions though instead of regular variants. The red version looks remarkable more like orange than red.

Sinn have long had a tendency to do small batches of colours and even special dial layouts. They call them "novelties" and in a delightful quirk of German humour, release them around April fools Day each year 😁

Everyone is jumping on the colourful Rolex copy hype train...

I do like that U50 tho and I've long been a fan of their Damaszener looks wise.