Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

It going to be like the Q Timex again.

Day 1 : Can't get them

Day 3: 100's on Chrono24 at 4 x time retail.

Day 30 : Selling on adverts under retail.

People will get all excited at the thought of cheap hype train tickets...but its not going to happen. I still like them though and will wait to get one till its calmed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,886 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah if the production is not limited (like i.e. Rolex OP 41 Turquoise) then I can't see any hype price lasting. Pity we don't have any boutique otherwise I'd have gone in on Saturday morning to pick myself up that navy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

I like them, well some of them. No doubt I’ll pick up one or two for the collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I'm still torn on them. A proper Speedmaster is the ultimate goal for me, and a €250 plastic quartz doesn't feel right. It's like an authorised fake?

Reminds me of when a car company makes a little toy version of a car that owners buy for their kids. Well maybe not that bad but you get the idea. still Bark and Jack put it well if you are not a "speedmaster" guy but appreciate the watch at a lower level than ownership they are not terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

These are very clearly not limited edition, despite the big splashy release, so not sure they'll go for 3 times retail on secondary markets.

It's a thumbs up from me anyway, maybe I'm a sucker but I like the story/theme going on, and I don't think it cheapens anyone or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I think they're great. Sure there's some colour combinations are a bit eww but at least it's trying something slightly out of left field. It's a nice juxtaposition to the Aqua Terra colour carbon copy of the OP colours of 2021. It seems like they're leaning into and owning this for what it is and not trying to be something that it's not (if that makes sense?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Cheapening the brand or not , Its certainly got people talking about omega so I suppose if nothing else it gets omega onto the hype train

Tiffany blue and a catchy name …

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

few jokes come to mind ill keep them to myself 😄

• Advertisement

Swatch and Omega replying to punters' questions on Insta confirming they'll be available online following the initial roll-out/hype in shops

• Registered Users Posts: 34,513 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wouldn't be a sign of Omega being in a bit of financial trouble would it? Can't really figure out why else they'd do this at all.

They are wholly owned by the Swatch group so there's that angle - something like this was inevitable and you might ask why it took so long. Did Omega have a choice at the end of the day, at a time when brands are "collaborating" all over the shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Not necessarily.

For many luxury brands, it isn't the halo models that are the bread and butter.

Something that is distinctive and yet bears the brand identity at a mass appeal price is going to be a winner. Throw in the cache of the moon watch and it has to be a winner.

In fairness, is it any less accurate than the Bulova Lunar Pilot with the quartz movement? These capture the spirit, if not the utility.

Of course it is a profit exercise, but a well executed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Nothing worse than Uranus spinning on it's axis,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'd say they seen the trend of custom painted g-shocks (IFLWatches) and modded watches and said "Why shouldn't we have a slice of that".

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I have to say that once they are available online my new years resolution of not buying anything new will be out the window. I've always admired the Speedmaster, but never enough to consider buying it at full price, and I suspect that I'm exactly their target market.

They are fun, look great, and cheap. Obviously it depends on how they are I'm real life, but I think these could possibly knock the Casioak off its "god tier" spot!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Clever move from Swatch IMHO. "Fashion watches" in quartz sell in their droves and they get in on that market with two established names and at a pricepoint that is hard to beat(not far off the price of just an Omega NATO strap). They get the big name out there to wider audiences too. Nobody who wants an actual Omgea Speedmaster is going to not buy one and buy one of these instead. If anything they'll buy both. They can also extend the Swatch thing to other brands in their range. EG a Longines Legend Diver Swatch with the two crowns could be one option, a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms another. The Speedy was an obvious one to start off with, but they've a lot of choice there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

If you pick one of the darker colours and put a leather strap on it it will be very similar to a regular moonwatch at 1/20th the price.Great for the swatch group but can’t see it as anything but damaging for omega .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

The black one has the look of a Bulova Moonwatch which is a watch I've been meaning to pick up for a while but it is cheaper and slightly better looking so I'll probably get the Swomega rather than the Bulova..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

I've been tempted by the Bulova a few times on sale but it's massive compared to the Speedmaster. To big for me really. The Speedy is one of my grails but way out of budget for me at the minute. Hopefully in a good few years when the kids are raised and mortgage payed! I've been temped by other watches over the years that ape the Speedmaster look but most don't quite get it right. This Moonswatch really ticks this box for me to tide me over till then! Now Mercury or the Moon!

Didn’t say omega will care.I was referring to Omega as a brand .Omega can’t be seen in the same category as Rolex when they release 200quid watches or blatantly copy Rolex colours .They have been losing sales volume at the high end so will make up that volume by selling at the low end , but in doing that how can they still be a luxury brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

I tend to agree.

Would Rolex, or any “higher” brand make a move like this? But maybe that’s part of the idea.

But I think they look nice!

Its a bold move alright. But there is a gap there to hoover up a few quick from the collector crowd that usually avoid the lower end. I think they look very good, and for the likes of me that has had a good few omegas but never kept them, I see the benefit in having one or two of these. Fun, disposable, not "shitters" in the harshest sense, I am sure robust and accurate and with a good look that isnt a homage cause Omega cannot homage themselves....

Would Rolex do this, they would in their bollox, they have stuck to their designs and branding for decades, and now that having one is a achievement, or aspiration for a lot of people they are not going to let people in for pennies, and are not going to give any lower end entry point....thats what tudor is for. But Rolex do tag team with other brands from time to time like Tiffany, Comex etc.

Once they are online I will hoover up what I can, keep the ones I like and I am sure the ones I dont will be easy sales on adverts for in or around retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I discovered only yesterday, that you cannot send via An Post or DHL, a quartz watch with a battery in it. However, TNT Express has no such qualms.

There you are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Yeah, I tried to send back an accutron watch to an eBay seller because they didn't regulate it correctly so is running really fast.

An Post will happily carry it to your house once it gets into the country but refuse to send it out of thee country because the battery is an explosion risk. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I got excited until I saw 42mm, they look great though, i definitely would have picked up one or two at 40mm to sate my desire for something by new until summer. If i was in the market for a real speedmaster though id now be looking elsewhere.

Sold yeah. But not shipped. As the seller doesn't have them yet 😂

Probably a smart young lad, having lined up all his friends to buy 2 of the watches each on Saturday morning for £200 per watch, then reselling immediately on eBay for £460, presumably to some spa who thinks he will get it before they are released...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 neto

I'm in Switzerland this weekend. Considering the hype it would be stupid not to take advantage of the opportunity and buy few MoonSwatches over there. I'm hoping to get Mission to the Moon and one Mission to Mars for myself and flip two watches to pay for the flights.

Advertisement