Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I suspect, like the market itself, unless he flogs it to a dealer, it's going nowhere. Indeed the fact he hasn't been able to flog it to his fellow youtube dealer "mates" says much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

Like any scam there is always an element of urgency involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Seems to be a lot of trader to trader deals going on .Actually noticed a Pepsi that was on adverts last week on a Spanish dealers instagram yesterday marked new as stock arrival.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

With collectables when the market is good there's a healthy balance between end buyers and dealers and the former noticeably outnumber the latter. When the mainstream non hobby buyers and collectors get involved it's a boom time for sellers. When it's going to go bang the balance between end buyers and dealers flips the other direction. You can see this effect in previous classic car booms and slumps, baseball cards, film posters etc.

There are loads of other variables of course. Age of buyers an obvious one. EG there is or was a general twenty year rule with classic cars, where the guys who wanted The Car of Their Dreams at twenty years of age, can afford to buy one when they're forty and the values go up accordingly and when that age curve moves on the values stagnate or slump. Basic fashion trends another variable, Even the market getting oversubscribed in the public consciousness and malaise setting in. The "ah ffs, not more Rolex. Again" effect(especially when prices get silly). But the dealer/end buyer ratio is one to watch.

In the watch world this has already happened with vintage. The added variable there being there's an actual finite supply and actual rarity in many cases. Prices rose rapidly from a slow moving baseline, dealers and pundits and "investors" flooded in, prices got ever higher, supply dropped, more dealers piled in and the gap between dealer values and end users were prepared to pay widened, dealer to dealer sales went up and the market stagnated and remains so*. If I had flogged off my collection in say 2014 I'd have made between 20-30%(higher with some pieces) more on the sales than I would today and I would have been able to offload them far more quickly.

*high ticket auctions run outside things for the most part. Just like in classic cars. The 250 GTO will always get huge money, like the one off 50's Patek chrono in white gold.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's interesting! Any links to both of them?

• Advertisement

Assume it was the one Thomas had up for 30 ish k. Madness.

How you know it’s the same one in Spain S?

1st two are the Spanish ad , last pic is the what’s app pic sent to me

same date ..coincidence ?

same writing of same date … what’s the odds on that or do you think it’s the same watch?

quick edit - just to remove serial

Ye of little faith. I'd hardly say it if its not true.

I was questioning it being true. More so how did you figure it out which I can see above.

30k for a stainless Pepsi. Lolling so hard at the madness of it. When you think of the options you have at that price point.

I was interested in that watch and €27 was the best I could get him to . It’s crazy money , very underwhelming on the wrist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

anything more than 15k for one of those is way too much, even at that its borderline.

Agreed. All the GMTs look nice on someone with very small wrists but on me the look like a toy. A shiny toy.

CAB's haul today along with the drug dealers suv of choice , couple of motorbikes and a few grand .

several hundred thousand worth there, if they are all real

27 euro would have been a good deal 😹.

When you consider the horological greatness that could sit on your wrist for the same money. Could have Lange moonphase complication and close to Lange Annual Calenders. Apples and oranges obviously.

Shame there’s not a better picture of them . Nearly seems too high end to be a real collection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I would guess mostly fake. Agree Pepsi underwhelming, I didnt think mine was worth it at the 16k I paid for it. Well worth it at retail mind you. Unkle you need to just get used to a new size, they are all shiny toys.

Nah I don't think so, the batman looked great on a slim Chinese lad I met (with maybe 6" wrists), Daytona is a woman's watch now, the YM is tiny (all these are 40mm watches). The older 40mm submariners wear a lot bigger, the newer 41mm an awful lot bigger again. It's not just me, why do you think Rolex made the sub bigger after many decades of it being the same size? Why make a 44mm diver for the first time in recent years? And a 43mm not that long ago either? Perhaps because men have got a lot bigger in the last decade or two. They sure want bigger watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So you're saying I should 100% definitely buy a U-Boat or a Graham Chronofighter! Received and understood 😋

In my ignorance I was wondering what Arnie was wearing in an interview. Only to be told by someone in the know it was an U-Boat. Looked pretty impressive to me, I might buy one. And I think you're a bigger lad than me, so yes go for it 😁

• Advertisement

And no, that Graham is preposterous 😂 Can you open tins with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

At Last! A panda chrono I can see the time on ;) but this 60mm creation wins!

Altho, here's a 56mm Batman I can actually afford🤔

Do you remember his watch brand he was launching ?All hideous oversized pieces similar to those above .He did some promotional stuff for them but I don’t think they ever reached market .

U boats et al are properly big watches....this 1mm here and there is just small variation. Come on Unkle time to double down on the big watch thing and buy something massive. 40mm sports watches are for girly men

Not too bad at that angle, a quick google shows his wrists are 7". So the watch would look ok on a pic of just his wrist but with his frame / arms on the background it looks tiny. A bit like that 36mm on huge fat Donald Trump.

Look pretty good to me from various angles. I put in a pic of one stupid yolk. He wears them well and with confidence. Classic proportions are just that, always look good on everybody. This is a big dude with an average sized wrist just like yours....The big watch thing is just a look, its got nothing to do with the size of the wrist or the man. Trumps 36mm looks stupid because he has not sized the bracelet properly and its cutting off his circulation. Wear a watch loose and it doesn't matter. Wear the watch you like the look of, your anatomy doesn't preclude anything. Oisin goes on about his big wrists too but only when it suits him to say it for the watch in front of him.

The perception of the wearer is the key point for size.

The wearer will notice the size differently to everyone else. My ex 37 mm vacheron (the ladies vacheron pretending to be a man’s) looked too small to my eyes from my angle on my wrist. However if looking in a full length mirror (ie from anyone else perspective it looked grand.

The difference between 36mm to 43mm is minimal from a person looking at you perspective who may just be able to tell there is a size difference but will agree that the size looks fine. But it will be worlds apart from the eyes of the wearer.

Thickness is the size issue I have an issue with in general. Preference is sub 9mm but can live with 11mm. Anything above 15mm is clownlike in my eyes. One of the reasons Omega lost me entirely.

Thickness is the first thing I check on any potential watch as my goal is not usually to “buy to try” but to “buy to keep” (not that I keep anything but the goal is the goal 🤪). It cuts out 80 percent of the market for me and one of the reasons I lean away from sports/divers that makes up the core of other peoples collections.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i find as well you need some time to get used to a watch of different proportions, if you take off a James cameron and put on a gmt it will feel small.

If you wear it for a day and put it on the next day it wont feel so small any more.

Very much agree with you on that, If I swap from 44mm panerai to my bb58 , the tudor feels tiny and if I swap the other way the panerai seems a ridiculous size. Nice to have variety though , no point having them all feel the same on the wrist.

• Advertisement

Is boards fucked for anyone else on their phone?. When trying to read page keeps jumping up or down away from where you are reading for me.

Advertisement