Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

ArthurG wrote: »
    New interface looks great - reminds me of a suggested interface mod for FFXI that was doing the rounds a few years ago. I'll see if I can find a ss.

What did you think of the gameplay? Have you played FFXIV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

MarkJD wrote: »
    What did you think of the gameplay? Have you played FFXIV?

Gameplay of FFXIV? I tried it at the last Beta just before launch, and thought it was excrutiatingly bad. Held off for buying the thing to see what people thought after launch, and well, as you can imagine I didn't bother buying it.

I was very dissapointed, as I'd played FFXI for 4 years or so, and had a blast, although having progressed to WoW (post LoTRO), I could never go back to FFXI again, the thoughts of spending hours waiting for an NM to pop, or getting wiped in Dynamis and waiting 15 mins for everyone to res makes me slightly ill. I know its changed a lot in the interim, but I just couldn't do it.

Anyway, I'm waiting with baited breath for GW2, but FF has a special palce in my heart, and I'm sure i'll give this a blast when its re-released.

Gameplay of FFXIV? I tried it at the last Beta just before launch, and thought it was excrutiatingly bad. Held off for buying the thing to see what people thought after launch, and well, as you can imagine I didn't bother buying it.

I was very dissapointed, as I'd played FFXI for 4 years or so, and had a blast, although having progressed to WoW (post LoTRO), I could never go back to FFXI again, the thoughts of spending hours waiting for an NM to pop, or getting wiped in Dynamis and waiting 15 mins for everyone to res makes me slightly ill. I know its changed a lot in the interim, but I just couldn't do it.

Anyway, I'm waiting with baited breath for GW2, but FF has a special palce in my heart, and I'm sure i'll give this a blast when its re-released.

I meant more the gameplay footage from Gamescon 2012. I put up a video above not sure if you seen it?

I played in the GW2 Beta and while it has a lot to offer and seems to have a great development team behind it i just didnt like the gameplay. Dont like all the different weapons each class can use and the changing them up constantly for timers. Felt it was very DPS orientated for whoever can press the buttons the fastest? Maybe i just have the wrong impression though.

The footage looks great - the UI is a massive (and much needed) improvement. Graphics are fab looking, and combat looks nice and fast. That Dragonfire Dive looks amazing. Looks really smooth too, interesting to see what hardware its running on (not sure if its mentioned in there, I may have missed it), but its very smooth.

I didn't watch the whole thing as I'm in work, will check it out at home tonight.

FFXIV 1.0 goes offline today with a final character save taking place at 9pm GMT.

I believe servers will be online from tomorrow but nothing will be saved so kind of pointless. Alpha has started for A Realm Rebord (FFXIV v2.0) in Japan only and will last about 1 month with NA & EU joining in the coming weeks.

Then there will be a BETA period which should be a proper Beta and all bugs / issues resolved etc hopefully. Expecting 2.0 to come online maybe around Jan / Feb if things progress well.

If you bought the original FFXIV then you can download and try the new version for free. Looking forward to it!

Anyone else gonna give this a second chance?

Up to 8 weeks ago I definitely would have said yes, but post GW2 (well not really post, it's still current), I'm not sure if I could go back to grinding levels out, kill collect quests and all that.

I'm pretty sure it'll be wait and see. Then again some of my old buddies from FFXI are planning on taking it up again, so I might....... but I'm far too casual these days I think.

In that regard i think / hope they have really taken the casual approach for exp and progress within the game rather than the old mentality of grinding and hours of work needed... Now this is yet to be seen so i guess its kind of watch this space but they really want to appeal to the casual player base so that they are not left behind from the hardcore people that play 10+ hours a day...

If anything iv seen and read over the last months i think they are moving this way, apparently you will progress level wise with the main story etc.

I guess lets wait and see :)

How is GW2? I have it, installed / updated character made and only done 1 quest. Havnt really had the drive to level up etc. Is there still alot of people playing and what not?

Check out the GW2 thread for lots of opinions on the game.......

Personally I only just dinged 80 (did I mention casual??), so it took me almost 2 months (albeit with a few weeks in between travelling for work when I wasn't playing). I also just hit max crafting for 2 skills. Keen players levelled in a week to 80 (or even faster in some cases).

What I haven't ran into yet (and am likely to soon I guess), is that once you hit 80, it becomes a PVP game. There's not a vast amount of PVE to continue with once your max out your level.

I'm not giving up yet though, I love the gameplay dynamic, graphics and so on. I'm still doing my personal story and want to finish that off, as well as explore some more parts of the world. But thats what makes it for me, I can dip in and out.

You can't examine people or anything when you go into a dungeon, there's no DPS meters, so you don't get that awful "LFM for XXXXX, meet at town centre for gear, gem and enchant inspections" that you see in WOW.

Whether or not this turns out to be a strength or not in the long term remains to be seen....... I hope it works out.

So the final save was done on the 1st and they left the servers up a few days for an end of world event and gave out free weapons etc. Just released the final trailer today. Anyone familiar with the NPCs or the story / lore should enjoy it. Pretty impressive CGI but thats never been SE's problem.

Alpha is ongoing at preset for A Realm Reborn in Japan only looking like EU / Global should be rolled out by the end of November but the Beta not starting until Jan so a good bit away until release.

Play it on High Res + Full Screen!

Pretty epic allright. Say what you will about SE, but they sure know how to do this kinda thing, I had a tear in my eye at the end :o

Anyway, I'll probably skip beta, and give it a shot whenever it appears.

• Advertisement

Yea there were some many tears shed! :) haha.. The song from it is below its from one of the Distant Worlds Concerts..

If you had an account at some stage you should sign up for Alpha / Beta anyways ill gladly take your login if you get accepted! Cant wait to have a play around with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Hmm, I remember the first road maps had V2.0 put at end of 2012, the next one kinda had from Dec2012-Feb2013 highlighted as the time frame. As of right now sources pointing towards a mid 2013 launch :/ Guess Id rather it wasnt rushed - hopefully it'll be worth the wait.

Nice performance above ^

And as nice as the CGI is, thats never been an issue from SE. Was annoyed when the first clips of ARR were coming out and it was all CGI -_- Thats not going to sell me on 2.0. The little bit of gameplay footage Ive seen looked nice, they do make sure you know they've added jumping! Still, a nice song, new clips and a fresh lick of paint are far from being enough to transform this game. I know tons of other things have/are being done. Cautiously hoping for the best...

Yea im the same believe me. SE have always had the CGI / Story and CS areas well done.

All the Alpha stuff is under NDA right now and they seem to be punishing heavily for people breaking it (those they can track down) i didnt get selected myself but more invites go out tomorrow i think.

Im not sure if we are allowed post links to other sites but if you just google FFXIV Reddit - you will be taken to the subredit for the game lots of NDA broken leaked Alpha info and screenshots and some videos.

Overall impressions are very well received right now with major complaints being around animation and some ghosting / skating like movement but they have been told its only in the Alpha and the Beta will resolve that.

Seems alot of people that left the game early on from 1.0 are being invited to the Alpha and are posting in its favour. I think it will be more WoW centric with a FF feel to it in terms of graphics / story. Time will tell but definitely liking the look of it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

got into the beta today w00p :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Been in beta for a few weeks.
    At first it really interested me and I was enjoying it but I kinda drifted away from it. Not even sure of the reason. It just didn't grip me.

I'll probably give it another go as I still have access. See what improvements they've made over the last few weeks.

Phase 3 will start mid June and there will be a whole load more stuff for people to do and test out. All the starting zones will be open and all classes will be available.

Looking forward to it. Been playing some Neverwinter and its ok now but dont think it will hold me much more than a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sulc84

no luck getting beta code .. will try benchmark on my PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Played a couple of hours of Beta during phase 2, not enough to really say whether Im going to love it, but its certainly improved.

Getting my jap rpg fix from Persona 4 golden! Not usually taken by turn based things, but this game is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shaneoh

Hey guys, 1.0 player here! Played from May '11 till servers shut down. Can't wait till Phase 3! Game feels totally different to 1.xx so will be interested to see how my own character feels! Hopefully they give is one high level dungeon in Phase 3 but not expecting it till launch.

Hope to see you all in game at some point!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yep, 27th! The EU store isn't fully updated with the Collectors edition but you can pre-order the download version from here!

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/en/product/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Will it be worth getting do ye think?I was thinking of getting it for ps3.

There will be an open beta so you can try it out then before shelling out money for it! I personally think it is worth the money, (I will be shelling out more money for the collectors edition even though I have the game already! :D)

In the same boat myself. I have the CE from FFXIV v1.0. I also have two legacy accounts but going to order the CE for the PS3 so i can play on that as well as my PC if im feeling lazy. The rewards from it are definitely worth it.

There is a Live Letter from the Producer this Thursday at 1pm GMT its shown on youtube. Always in japanese so hard to uderstand but you get all the new stuff from game play videos and artwork etc.

Really looking forward to getting back into the game. Did you check out the Tour of Eorzea pt 2 video that came out the other day? Some zones look fantastic!

Shaneoh wrote: »
    Hey guys, 1.0 player here! Played from May '11 till servers shut down. Can't wait till Phase 3! Game feels totally different to 1.xx so will be interested to see how my own character feels! Hopefully they give is one high level dungeon in Phase 3 but not expecting it till launch.

Hope to see you all in game at some point!

What server were you on dude. Do you have an EU Linkshell or Free Company. I played 1.0 as well until servers went down and was playing with some really good guys from Scotland / UK have a vent etc.

Be good to play with someone from Ireland. Played FF11 for 5+ years and never met anyone from Ireland lol.

• Advertisement

how much is the monthly sub?

here is a good page explaining the different subscription types.

http://www.ffxivinfo.com/service.php

10.99 for 180 days seems reasonable enough.

MarkJD I did see the video! Last 5 seconds were amazing! :D I can't wait to MPK everyone on that fight :D

I was on Gungnir, I joined an LS called Seraphim. It is mainly US but we have some EU folk as well. It is great the mumble has had at least 5 people on it chatting away when the servers have been down!

With my 8 chars a server 40 chars in total I'll prob be creating a few alts! I'd love to get an Irish LS going! I sincerely thought I was the only Irish guy playing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I always wanted to try Final Fantasy 11 but didn't have a gaming PC at the time. Definitely gonna try this out if they have an open beta. With the fact that sub based games are dying one by one i would much rather play a sub based MMO knowing the game wont be Pay2Win and i get access to all the content right off.

• Advertisement

I always wanted to try Final Fantasy 11 but didn't have a gaming PC at the time. Definitely gonna try this out if they have an open beta. With the fact that sub based games are dying one by one i would much rather play a sub based MMO knowing the game wont be Pay2Win and i get access to all the content right off.

I tried XI way back and just could not get into it. This game (1.0 version anyway) was a lot more open to new players but maybe I was just lucky to find an open and warm Linkshell.

As for the P2P that is kinda a big debate on going. A lot of people want it to go F2P because of games like GW2 and SWTOR going F2P (or being F2P in GW2 from the start). I don't have a problem with F2P games but I have just never been able to stay in one. Played GW2 for a while but couldn't last in it! Same with any F2P I have played.

So I don't mind shelling out money to play a game if it holds my attention. :D

10.99 for 180 days seems reasonable enough.
    Just bear in mind thats 10.99 per month because you are buying 180 days up front. So that is for 6 months?
    MarkJD I did see the video! Last 5 seconds were amazing! :D I can't wait to MPK everyone on that fight :D

I was on Gungnir, I joined an LS called Seraphim. It is mainly US but we have some EU folk as well. It is great the mumble has had at least 5 people on it chatting away when the servers have been down!

With my 8 chars a server 40 chars in total I'll prob be creating a few alts! I'd love to get an Irish LS going! I sincerely thought I was the only Irish guy playing :D

Haha Fafnir / Nidhogg 2.0.... Its going to be interesting how they do these FATE NMs and the associated gear drops from them seeing as FATES are public and anyone can partake!
    I tried XI way back and just could not get into it. This game (1.0 version anyway) was a lot more open to new players but maybe I was just lucky to find an open and warm Linkshell.

As for the P2P that is kinda a big debate on going. A lot of people want it to go F2P because of games like GW2 and SWTOR going F2P (or being F2P in GW2 from the start). I don't have a problem with F2P games but I have just never been able to stay in one. Played GW2 for a while but couldn't last in it! Same with any F2P I have played.

So I don't mind shelling out money to play a game if it holds my attention. :D

Yea iv struggeled myself with the F2P / P2W games as of late. Game up on GW2 very quickly didnt hold my interest then the backlash of lack of endgame content and rewards didnt give me any interest in going further. Iv no problem with the subscription model once patches and content are out on time and worth their value. I would like to see some better customer service from SE given the monthly sub but thats one of the problems with a Japanese developer imo!

FFXIV ARR will hopefully deliver! Ill hit you up in a PM and see about hooking up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Did anyone else get an invite to test the Beta? Just wondering what server people here are going for?

Just got invite, won't be able to try till tomorrow though. No idea on server.

/excitement

I'll post what server I'm on when I'm told by my LS which one we are going for :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Just got BETA access this morning \o/

EDIT: Home from work now, download/updating/etc

I got an invite this morning also but it seems to be for the PS3 version. Can i use the code to download the PC version. Like **** im gonna play an MMO on a console

Just logged in and as expected the opening CGI blew my f*cking mind.

Cannot wait to get stuck in!!
    I got an invite this morning also but it seems to be for the PS3 version. Can i use the code to download the PC version. Like **** im gonna play an MMO on a console

Not sure if I got the same one but I was prompted to add my PS3 controller when I logged on. I simply disabled it's working fine.

EDIT: Might as well stream it for people who don't have access and want to know what it's like. http://www.twitch.tv/irlsinister

Turns out i got PC beta and they give me a PS3 beta also. But im having a hard time finding the launcher download link.

-Edit-
    No im an idiot, the first code is just to register the game, the second the download of PSN. Guess ill just wait for open beta then :(

Lol, turns out the game is under NDA. Will take screens and post 'em here.

EDIT: I'm allowed post pics so I'll post them over the next couple days.

• Advertisement

Ugh downloading at <2 Mb/s..... painful....

Turns out i download the client on the forums, didn't read into that much in the e-mail.:o Download is painfully slow

So much going on in this game. It's pretty hectic. Gamespeed is noticably quick, too.

Some screens.

3009r9h.jpg

33avymb.jpg

34j3z8m.jpg

30k6brk.jpg

City looks like Jeuno <3

I'm on Coeurl if anyone else is on it. My in game name for this weekend is Ketchup Pringles! Wont be on much but hey :D

Only had a quick play, but from that its a million times better than the lethargic lag-fest that was the original.

Combat is fast and fluid, quests easy to follow, map works. All in all not a bad effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Only had a quick play, but from that its a million times better than the lethargic lag-fest that was the original.

Combat is fast and fluid, quests easy to follow, map works. All in all not a bad effort.

damn wish i had beta access now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

So a friend of mine is begging me to play this with him. He's a FF nut and enjoys the more casual side of MMO's where I have no interest in lore or story and like a bit of depth and challenge to my end game. Is this worth me giving it a go or will I stay clear?

Big Knox wrote: »
    So a friend of mine is begging me to play this with him. He's a FF nut and enjoys the more casual side of MMO's where I have no interest in lore or story and like a bit of depth and challenge to my end game. Is this worth me giving it a go or will I stay clear?

That is hard to say at the moment Knox, as we do not have any end game content right now. I would say wait till phase 4 and try it out yourself. There will no doubt be videos of end game content out around then as well for you to judge yourself.

I am hopefully that end game will be both engaging and very challenging and not just a crap tank and spank.

• Advertisement

Man missed alot in this thread over the weekend. Phase 3 really has come on leaps and bounds compared to phase 2. Really enjoy some of the combat and timer changes. Game also looks so beautiful.

Only got to play for the one day but tried both the PC and the PS3. Played rather well on the PS3 given the restrictions so handy to just sit back and play if you want.

Iv also read that the PS3 Beta code that you got will work on the PC version so just download and install the client. You guys should check out the FFXIV Reddit - http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/ Plenty of screenshots and NDA breaking stuff and info.

I will be playing on the Excalibur server come release will give a healthy mix of EU and NA players. I roll with a group of people that mostly come from the EU and UK. Would be good to play with some people from Ireland, played FFXI for years and never had that! Game has a lot of promise! Already ordered my CE from gamestop. Now if i could just get them to confirm wtf is going on with my pre order codes.

Advertisement