Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobiles in the workplace.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The message doesnt get passed on in a timely manner.

Happened to my brother. Receptionist "got distracted" by other calls and didn't pass the message, then went off on her break, so it was over an hour before he eventually did get the message that his son had been taken to hospital.

By the time he got to there, his four year old son was dead.

Fault of the person making the call: they should have stressed the criticality and followed up if no response within 10 minutes.

The vast majority of calls to parents are not like that though.

It's stunning how some posters here cannot imagine different kinds of workplaces. Ones with forklifts, or operating theatres or prisoners or whatever. Just cos something isn't needed in your place doesn't mean it's not needed in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

My nephew currently working in retail ( petrol station) and was always allowed a phone on him just in case he needed to take a quick call or call someone.
    Now because of a small few being constantly on social media and a few taking and posting selfie’s at work at phone are now banned on shop floor.. owner put in land line at till for emergencies to take or make calls.
    What cemented the decision was two drive offs while till staff were watching tik tok .
    I honestly don’t think the issue is making or receiving calls and more to do with the amount of time some people spend on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

What happens if receptionist doesn't pass on the message? Goes on lunch/tea break etc.

her/his job is to pass on the message ...
    Why would they just go on their break ??
    Please stop making up "what if" fairytales , its getting silly now...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

harr wrote: »
    My nephew currently working in retail ( petrol station) and was always allowed a phone on him just in case he needed to take a quick call or call someone.
    Now because of a small few being constantly on social media and a few taking and posting selfie’s at work at phone are now banned on shop floor.. owner put in land line at till for emergencies to take or make calls.
    What cemented the decision was two drive offs while till staff were watching tik tok .
    I honestly don’t think the issue is making or receiving calls and more to do with the amount of time some people spend on social media.

That is what most people on here cant seem to grasp...

But anyway ...

:rolleyes:

mightyreds wrote: »
    We had this policy in a previous job I worked in until someone got seriously injured in a remote part of the workshop and could not ring for help, he had to just lie there for 2 hours till he was found. The policy was removed that day.

And he wasnt missed for 2 hours ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

It's stunning how some posters here cannot imagine different kinds of workplaces. Ones with forklifts, or operating theatres or prisoners or whatever. Just cos something isn't needed in your place doesn't mean it's not needed in others.

I can envision many workplaces where a mobile phone isn't needed, I can envision many where they have to be prohibited.....I can't think of a single one where the best solution is to treat grown adults like children with a time-release lockbox for mobile phones.

If that's the standard of management they're working with, I'm hardly surprised there are issues among the general operatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

While I don't agree with phones being taken from employees I can see why they'd be banned in warehouse/production environments and in certain roles where people have access to sensitive information (parts of banks etc).

But what sort of places are people working that a receptionist doesn't put a call straight through to an employee when someone asks for them? How bad would it look if a client or potential client was told "they'll call you back" every time they rang.

Places where the receptionist takes a lunch break.
    Places where the receptionist might need to use the loo.
    Places where the employee doesn't necessarily want calls about their sick child at crèche being funnelled through a third party.
    Places where the employees are grown up and have enough integrity to do their jobs without sitting watching YouTube all day.
    Places where the employee might not actually be at their desk at the time the call comes in.
    Etc.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I can envision many workplaces where a mobile phone isn't needed, I can envision many where they have to be prohibited.....I can't think of a single one where the best solution is to treat grown adults like children with a time-release lockbox for mobile phones.

If that's the standard of management they're working with, I'm hardly surprised there are issues among the general operatives.

Prohibited .
    Is that not the same thing as not allowing them on the work floor, and putting them in a secure place ??

Antares35 wrote: »
    Places where the receptionist takes a lunch break. - Same time as everyone else does - At 10 and at 1 - when people have their phone
    Places where the receptionist might need to use the loo. - Two people on reception
    Places where the employee doesn't necessarily want calls about their sick child at crèche being funnelled through a third party. - Wouldnt "will you ask Mr Mister to ring me back straight away at his sons creche please" do ?
    Places where the employees are grown up and have enough integrity to do their jobs without sitting watching YouTube all day. - You get idiots at every workplace, not everyone respects rules, or arent addicted to a phone
    Places where the employee might not actually be at their desk at the time the call comes in. - Is that not the same as the previous line? but anyway, as i said theres two on reception
    Etc.

REPLY then. Is that better..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,855 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

As somebody already said, this was a failure of management.

They are removing personal property from good staff because they cannot adequately address the known problem.

Its not even a complicated problem, just discipline the people caught using their phones when they shouldn't be. But I suspect the supervisors/management don't like direct conflict and so would rather implement a general policy than actually following disciplinary procedures with specific individuals.

^^^ nail on the head.. the management are failing.

If a supervisor / manager doesn’t like the elements of what they need to do, they should get another job...

If it’s me....

I see one of our employees on the phone... “ Jessica / James, all ok ? Just to remind you as per policy 3.4-6 personal phone use at your desk is prohibited unless you are on a break, as you are not on your break ? “

Document it, another occurrence, LOC, third time start disciplinary procedures... ie. manager managing. Doing their job.

If a no phones policy was brought in and I was instructed to leave it in a box in another office, I’d refuse, let them try to discipline me. If they started the same craic with my wallet or any other piece of personal property, what then ?

A new policy that your car keys must be left in X office and you can only access them at the end of your shift or otherwise by request ? Right, I’m not going to leave access and security to a 40 grand motor vehicle with my employer... and I’m not going to even leave access to a 300 euro phone with them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

greenspurs wrote: »
    Prohibited .
    Is that not the same thing as not allowing them on the work floor, and putting them in a secure place ??

Theres a difference between locking their phone away and letting them put it in their lockers.

We dont allow mobiles at work, they can put them in their lockers or leave them in their car.

If someone needs to get in touch with them in an emergency they can ring the shop number.

On one occasion I was asked if an employee could keep their phone on them as their parent was having an operation and of course we allowed that.

Answers .

Like you said, you get idiots in all workplaces. I'd rather not be relying on the hope that the receptionist isn't one of them in the event that someone calls me about my sick child. If you don't trust your staff enough to let them have a mobile phone then why hire them in the first place?

We've one receptionist, and she isn't nailed to the desk forty hours per week, nor should she be.

Are you really only allowed use the loo at prescribed times? Are you sure you aren't in school? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

her/his job is to pass on the message ...
    Why would they just go on their break ??
    Please stop making up "what if" fairytales , its getting silly now...

Someone getting distracted is not a fairytale.

Don't be taking out the fact your management team is not up to the job out on me.

Social media has been going strong a good 10 years but you still have failed to keep your house in order.

If management had nipped this in the bud at the start it wouldn't have reached the scale it's at now.

You posted here wanting affirmation that your actions were right but you have posters disagreeing with you .

Instead of dealing with the 15 problem people you've made it a problem for the entire workforce. That's not a great way to manage people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,085 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Antares35 wrote: »
    Places where the receptionist takes a lunch break.
    Places where the receptionist might need to use the loo.
    Places where the employee doesn't necessarily want calls about their sick child at crèche being funnelled through a third party.
    Places where the employees are grown up and have enough integrity to do their jobs without sitting watching YouTube all day.
    Places where the employee might not actually be at their desk at the time the call comes in.
    Etc.

Places where paranoid people work, places with the unluckiest parents to walk the Earth work, places where parents worry incessantly about the worst things that can happen to their kids work, places where people think a Receptionist cannot take a message and pass it on, places where idiots work.

Dav010 wrote: »
    places where idiots work.

Makes me realise how lucky I am to have a boss who treats me and his other staff with a bit of decency when you see attitudes like this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Prohibited .

If you can't see a difference between not allowing them on the work floor and having to put them in a time locking box set up by management, I suspect that we're never going to agree.

I've already said that I've worked in environments where a mobile phone absolutely could not be taken into the working area, with potentially serious legal ramifications for doing so.....even under those circumstances, absolutely no one would've suggested your sort of solution for half a second. Non-compliance would be punished, the rest are trusted to behave like adults. There would've been mass resignations should any attempts have been made to enact anything so patronising.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,085 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Don't be taking out the fact your management team is not up to the job out on me.

Social media has been going strong a good 10 years but you still have failed to keep your house in order.

If management had nipped this in the bud at the start it wouldn't have reached the scale it's at now.

You posted here wanting affirmation that your actions were right but you have posters disagreeing with you .

Instead of dealing with the 15 problem people you've made it a problem for the entire workforce. That's not a great way to manage people.

Health and Safety protocols are not necessarily the result of issues with the majority, they result from the accidents/actions of the minority. Work practices/policies also have to be idiot proof unfortunately, not because of the entire workforce, but because most workplaces have their share of idiots.

Fault of the person making the call: they should have stressed the criticality and followed up if no response within 10 minutes.

If one phone call is not sufficient, then the whole argument for making emergency contact through a receptionist fails.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Health and Safety protocols are not necessarily the result of issues with the majority, they result from the accidents/actions of the minority. Work practices/policies also have to be idiot proof unfortunately, not because of the entire workforce, but because most workplaces have their share of idiots.

I hear what you are saying, but you get good employees by making your company an attractive place to work.

By locking phones away, you are setting the bar very very low.

Imagine being told this at the interview stage.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Theres a difference between locking their phone away and letting them put it in their lockers.

We dont allow mobiles at work, they can put them in their lockers or leave them in their car.

If someone needs to get in touch with them in an emergency they can ring the shop number.

On one occasion I was asked if an employee could keep their phone on them as their parent was having an operation and of course we allowed that.

I have already stated that the options were already there.

Lockers were brought for workers to use - they didnt.

Cars - as i said already, they are being told, Leave your phone in the car, or else put it in the locker.

• Advertisement

They've been a long time problem here.
    Finally top level have taken steps to stamp it out.

Boxes on a wall,
    locked at 8.02
    Open at 9.58 - locked at 10.22

Open at 12.58 - locked at 2.02

Open at 4.58.

Workers were blatantly standing with their phones scrolling, there was only so many times you can keep saying "put away the phone" .

Now theres a system of measures in place if a worker is found with their phone on them during work hours.
    A lot of resistance (mumbling&grumbling so far) about this, but i dont think there was any other option. The few taking the pi$$ ruined it on everyone else.

Surely this kind of rule is commonplace in workplaces?
    I have already stated that the options were already there.

Lockers were brought for workers to use - they didnt.

Cars - as i said already, they are being told, Leave your phone in the car, or else put it in the locker.

No mention of other options now being touted, in the original post.

Troll, I think.

Strumms wrote: »
    ^^^ nail on the head.. the management are failing.

If a supervisor / manager doesn’t like the elements of what they need to do, they should get another job...

If it’s me....

I see one of our employees on the phone... “ Jessica / James, all ok ? Just to remind you as per policy 3.4-6 personal phone use at your desk is prohibited unless you are on a break, as you are not on your break ? “

Document it, another occurrence, LOC, third time start disciplinary procedures... ie. manager managing. Doing their job.

If a no phones policy was brought in and I was instructed to leave it in a box in another office, I’d refuse, let them try to discipline me. If they started the same craic with my wallet or any other piece of personal property, what then ?

DO you play with your wallet continuously while operating a machine? Quality Contriol /Driving a forklift ????

A new policy that your car keys must be left in X office and you can only access them at the end of your shift or otherwise by request ? Right, I’m not going to leave access and security to a 40 grand motor vehicle with my employer... and I’m not going to even leave access to a 300 euro phone with them either.

Why would they want the keys of your €40,000 (??) car ?
    They dont have access ,as it in a perspex box, that is in plain sight of the work floor,

Answers.

No mention of other options now being touted, in the original post.

Troll, I think.
    The company did purchase lockers (similar to what you would have in a gym) , for workers to leave their lunch/coats/belonging into.
    Buy your own padlock, and its in their control.

But no, workers decided they wouldnt use them.

Theres a workforce of about 100(ish) and theres a hardcore of 10-15 that would be consistent offenders .
    As i said, they were spoken to repeatedly about their phone use, but continue. Theres no real law/regulation about phone use, so the management created one, which will include :
    If you bring your phone into work, it must be placed in the secure perspex box.
    If you dont like this arrangement , leave your phone at home, or in your car.

If you bring your phone into work, and dont put it in the box, and you are seen/caught using it on work time, you will get verbal then Written warning, which will end up in further disiplinary action if caught again.

If you need to make a call in an emergency you go into reception.
    If you are needed in an emergency , reception will come to you.

Fairly straight forward isnt it ?
    Wheres the problem?

Are you blind.... Post #107

Can you read? Maybe try getting the full story before calling people a troll?
    Makes you look very silly..

Are you blind.... Post #107

Can you read? Maybe try getting the full story before calling people a troll?
    Makes you like very silly..

Yes I can.

107 posts into the thread, you drip feed in this further information, when your argument is failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

5,700 posts just to lay the groundwork for a troll post.Thats a well laid master plan!

Answers.

I'm so confused by your insistence on "answering" non questions, with questions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you have this
    It is a verbal, then written, then dismiss situation.

why do you need this? :confused:
    Boxes on a wall,
    locked at 8.02
    Open at 9.58 - locked at 10.22

Open at 12.58 - locked at 2.02

Open at 4.58.

Yes I can.

107 posts into the thread, you drip feed in this further information, when your argument is failing.

So you accept you were wrong then??

Sorry , your honour, i apologize for not mentioning this crucial piece of evidence in my opening argument to the jury ....

How is MY argument failing? I asked a question if this was commonplace in other workplaces .

Jaysus..... :rolleyes:

GreeBo wrote: »
    If you have this

why do you need this? :confused:

Because .
    The option is there if you bring your phone into work, you must place into the box, OR leave it in the car. (can use a break times)

If you dont place it into the box and are caught using it during work time , then the procedure starts ...

• Advertisement

Where did i say they are my actions ?
    I asked a question about the place i work?

I have not said management are right in what they are doing. I asked a question.
    Calm down.

Advertisement