Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobiles in the workplace.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

[QUOTE=Princess Calla;116977571]If it's basic safety stuff it should have been implemented 20 odd years ago when phones started to become common, written into contract etc etc .

It wasn't anaphylactic shock, it started as a rash, first thoughts on a rash is not ambulance. They took him to the Dr. While waiting for his dad to arrive, Dr said hospital.

He's had full allergy testing done and is clear, just a mad reaction to something that day, hasn't happened since.[/QUOTE]

So a Nokia 3210, is the same as an iphone 12 nowadays?

There was no comparison to 'smart' phones 20 years ago to what they can do now.
    And its not 'using' the phone, its using Facebook/twitter/Snapchat etc that is whats stealing peoples attention from their paid jobs.
    They didnt have people addicted to them then as they do now ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭CoBo55

So a manager would be fielding calls from numerous creches (my team alone has 8 creche using parents) when they ring to advise the child has a temperature and they are going to administer calpol? Plus discussing a child's details with a third party??? Best of luck with that, I can't see any manager wanting that hassle.

If the manager can't be contacted the next inline is company director....jesus talk about creating unnecessary work !

No. The crèche rings and asks to speak to whoever, receptionist says they aren't available at the moment I'll pass on a message that you called, when you receive said message you ring the crèche to discuss the details.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    No. The crèche rings and asks to speak to whoever, receptionist says they aren't available at the moment I'll pass on a message that you called, when you receive said message you ring the crèche to discuss the details.

Simple .
    Isnt it. But im sure someone will find a problem with that simple solution?

No, you would need to land the plane and finish the surgery but you are utilizing extremes that don't apply to your office based comments earlier.

You would still be running out the door asap as well and **** whatever is supposed to come next. Surgeons won't be performing any surgeries of their child has been hospitalized
    Dav010 wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Are you seriously suggesting that the surgeon would continue their day and not go to their child? Go ask one. Then ask them for the various other reasons that surgeries get cancelled.

I hope you aren't a parent with that attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

greenspurs wrote: »
    So a Nokia 3210, is the same as an iphone 12 nowadays?

There was no comparison to 'smart' phones 20 years ago to what they can do now.
    And its not 'using' the phone, its using Facebook/twitter/Snapchat etc that is whats stealing peoples attention from their paid jobs.
    They didnt have people addicted to them then as they do now ...

Facebook/twitter/snapchat have not arrived in the last 12 months.

Why are you suddenly now playing the health and safety card?

Verbal warning/verbal warning/written warning/written warning/ dismissal....it will only take one person to be fired to curb the culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Are you seriously suggesting that the surgeon would continue their day and not go to their child? Go ask one. Then ask them for the various other reasons that surgeries get cancelled.

I hope you aren't a parent with that attitude

Am a parent, married to a Surgeon, trained as a Dr myself, is there anything else you’d like to ask?

Facebook/twitter/snapchat have not arrived in the last 12 months.

Why are you suddenly now playing the health and safety card?

Verbal warning/verbal warning/written warning/written warning/ dismissal....it will only take one person to be fired to curb the culture.

Do you realise how hard it is to dismiss a worker nowadays?

They are formulating a structure for weeks/months at this stage to protect themselves for the Compo Culture people that would loved to be dismissed without proper proceudure being followed.
    So they are ultra careful.

But yes, you are right, if one person was fired, that would probably solve it.
    But would someone risk their job over updating their status?
    They probably would.

And then it would be "did you hear that Mr Whoever was fired for using his phone in work, he said he only used it once to check how his sick dog was"

"jeez thats terrible, why would they sack someone over that , shur everyone uses phones nowadays" .....

JayRoc wrote: »
    Mobiles and smartphones have only been common for a few years. How did people manage beforehand?.

I got my first mobile phone almost 25 years ago when my daughter was a newborn, so they've been around for at least that long.

I don't agree with the actions being taken by management here. Its treating adults like children and punishing the whole workforce because of the actions of the few. Identify and deal with the messers, head to head, instead. Make it a disciplinary matter.

They tried something like this in my daughter's secondary school. The kids were supposed to keep their phones in their lockers, but the kids were quick enough to cop on to bring in second phones that they kept concealed.

Eventually the school realised it wasn't working and conceeded that the kids could keep their phones on them, once they were on vibrate / silent only, and checked between classes or at break times. Kids caught using their phones during class had them confiscated, and the phone would only be returned to a parent.

In other words, they found a middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I worked in one place where you couldn't have a visible phone on the office floor so you had to keep it in your handbag or I guess coat or trouser pockets for men. But people were still allowed to have their phones to go outside and make a call in an emergency. There will come a day when someone needs to be contacted about their child in an emergency and this won't end well then.

Similarly, worked in a public-facing role where the public were not allowed use mobiles or cameras. So it wouldn't look good if we were! Hence it was in the staff handbook and in our contracts.
    We all kept our phones in our pockets, not in the locker, and used our discretion in taking /making calls but never in the public eye. The company rationale was obvious and understood as we didn't want the public using phones/cameras either.

Where did i look for support ?

i asked a question ......
    Surely this kind of rule is commonplace in workplaces?

You used Surely in your question.

Cambridge dictionary:

We use the adverb surely to express a degree of certainty. It does not express as much certainty as definitely or certainly. When we use surely, we are hoping that our listener will agree with us:

• Advertisement

Simple .
    Isnt it. But im sure someone will find a problem with that simple solution?

The message doesnt get passed on in a timely manner.

Happened to my brother. Receptionist "got distracted" by other calls and didn't pass the message, then went off on her break, so it was over an hour before he eventually did get the message that his son had been taken to hospital.

By the time he got to there, his four year old son was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Happened to my brother. Receptionist "got distracted" by other calls and didn't pass the message, then went off on her break, so it was over an hour before he eventually did get the message that his son had been taken to hospital.

By he got to there, his four year old son was dead.
    This is why this policy is nonsense.
    I would not work there.

So someone calls reception

Does the receptionist determine if it’s an emergency?
    How on earth does that work
    Does the receptionist ask questions breaching personal privacy?
    Whole idea is hair brained.

By the time he got to there, his four year old son was dead.

Every parents nightmare. :(

So someone calls reception

Does the receptionist determine if it’s an emergency?
    How on earth does that work
    Does the receptionist ask questions breaching personal privacy?
    Whole idea is hair brained.

Why would the Receptionist ask questions?

CoBo55 wrote: »

What happens if receptionist doesn't pass on the message? Goes on lunch/tea break etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

We had this policy in a previous job I worked in until someone got seriously injured in a remote part of the workshop and could not ring for help, he had to just lie there for 2 hours till he was found. The policy was removed that day.

Why would the Receptionist ask questions?

Exactly, that’s my point

It’s all a waste of time. So if someone wants to call his mate to organise going for pints, he calls reception, asks to speak with his mate, and now everyone’s time is wasted.

Employer cant ask what the conversation was about, employee can just say it was an emergency call
    They ring reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tubosti

As i explained, flagrant blatant use of phones throughout the working day while on a production line/ working with machinery/ driving forklifts.

Also, going to the toilet for 10-15mins watching youtube/ on facebook etc.

Maybe some of kidney or bowel issues, could be suffering from constipation...

Exactly, that’s my point

It’s all a waste of time. So if someone wants to call his mate to organise going for pints, he calls reception, ask to speak with his mate, and now everyone’s time is wasted.

Employer cant ask what the conversation was about, employee can just say it was an emergency call

It’s a pretty simple concept Andy, if you know the person can’t answer a mobile, you leave a message for them to contact you. Ifs it’s an emergency, you tell the receptionist is an emergency. These systems were in place long before mobile phones were invented you know.

• Advertisement

It’s a pretty simple concept Andy, if you know the person can’t answer a mobile, you leave a message for them to contact you. Ifs it’s an emergency, you tell the receptionist is an emergency. These systems were in place long before mobile phones were invented you know.

That’s my point, you shouldn’t have to tell the receptionist anything, even if it is an emergency/medical or personal issue that requires urgent attention

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭65535

Might I suggest that the management supply basic (voice and text only) phones to the said workers.
    They are then contactable if required.
    Smart phones etc. to be kept outside of the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

No way would I work in a place like that. Be like being back at school :D

Op has been replying on boards all day while at work. Classic

You used Surely in your question.

Cambridge dictionary:

We use the adverb surely to express a degree of certainty. It does not express as much certainty as definitely or certainly. When we use surely, we are hoping that our listener will agree with us:

ffs... :rolleyes:
    Really ?

Does a question mark not indicate a question anymore ?????????

Op has been replying on boards all day while at work. Classic

Who said im in work ?

So contain your outrage there ...
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

While I don't agree with phones being taken from employees I can see why they'd be banned in warehouse/production environments and in certain roles where people have access to sensitive information (parts of banks etc).

But what sort of places are people working that a receptionist doesn't put a call straight through to an employee when someone asks for them? How bad would it look if a client or potential client was told "they'll call you back" every time they rang.

tubosti wrote: »
    Maybe some of kidney or bowel issues, could be suffering from constipation...

So watching youtube helps ??

cant take a dump without a phone in their hand?

Addicted.

65535 wrote: »
    Might I suggest that the management supply basic (voice and text only) phones to the said workers.
    They are then contactable if required.
    Smart phones etc. to be kept outside of the workplace.

Ah that would be a logical solution :D

• Advertisement

While I don't agree with phones being taken from employees I can see why they'd be banned in warehouse/production environments and in certain roles where people have access to sensitive information (parts of banks etc).

But what sort of places are people working that a receptionist doesn't put a call straight through to an employee when someone asks for them? How bad would it look if a client or potential client was told "they'll call you back" every time they rang.

Why would a 'client' be ringing a general operative on a production line ?

Advertisement