Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobiles in the workplace.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Antares35 wrote: »
    I'm so confused by your insistence on "answering" non questions, with questions :D

Thats your come back ?

Sorry i apologise . My english teacher wasnt as good as yours ..... :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

greenspurs wrote: »
    Thats your come back ?

Sorry i apologise . My english teacher wasnt as good as yours ..... :rolleyes:

Again, it isn't a "comeback". It's a statement. You seem to be very worked up about all this.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Again, it isn't a "comeback". It's a statement. You seem to be very worked up about all this.

see. I told you my english teacher wasnt good.

But, thanks for your imput, and grammar lessons.

So you accept you were wrong then??

Sorry , your honour, i apologize for not mentioning this crucial piece of evidence in my opening argument to the jury ....

How is MY argument failing? I asked a question if this was commonplace in other workplaces .

Jaysus..... :rolleyes:

No, I am not wrong.

You made no mention of any other measures tried to resolve the issue first, in your original post.

Which would have been the logical thing to include, before leading us all down this merry path.

You asked if this was commonplace in other workplaces - in my view, for the reasons you've given, its not.

There are workplaces were mobile phone use is restricted for other reasons, (e.g. prison example given above) but it is not commonplace that mobile phones are restricted because the management are too lazy and incompetent to deal with the 15 so called "hardcore offenders" that result in them punishing the other 85 staff as well.

Have a nice afternoon.

see. I told you my english teacher wasnt good.

But, thanks for your imput, and grammar lessons.

Oh gawd :D

• Advertisement

I'd be genuinely curious to know how often this is the done thing. I've literally never met anyone who has said they are subject to such strict rules around mobile phone use (and in some instance, toilet use). Is this the norm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

I don't believe your first post whatsoever with regards lockers been locked during certain hours with mobile phones.

You seem to have some agenda with mobile phones and social media yourself for some reason with regards yours responses.

I think this is an idea you want but not actually in place.

If your working in a factory or production line in a massive factory you should have your phone on you at all times.

No, I am not wrong.

You made no mention of any other measures tried to resolve the issue first, in your original post.

Which would have been the logical thing to include, before leading us all down this merry path.

You asked if this was commonplace in other workplaces - in my view, for the reasons you've given, its not.

There are workplaces were mobile phone use is restricted for other reasons, (e.g. prison example given above) but they are not usually restricted because the management are lazy and unable to deal with the 15 so called "hardcore offenders" that result in them punishing the other 85 staff as well.

Have a nice afternoon.

I didnt realise it was crucial to the way the thread would go .

"Merry Path" ? I didnt force you to comment ?
    I asked a question, and then the thread developed, as threads tend to do, you know?

I don't believe your first post whatsoever with regards lockers been locked during certain hours with mobile phones.

You seem to have some agenda with mobile phones and social media yourself for some reason with regards yours responses.

If your working in a factory or production line in a massive factory you sho

Hello ?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Hello ?

Yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Because .
    The option is there if you bring your phone into work, you must place into the box, OR leave it in the car. (can use a break times)

If you dont place it into the box and are caught using it during work time , then the procedure starts ...

But if you have a procedure in place why do you also need to lock phones away?
    Is it that the employees dont trust themselves to not use their phone if it isnt locked away?:confused:

Hello ?

Cause I wonder where you are, and I wonder what you do*...
    Sorry, must be that Friday feeling :D
    *But I won't know til 5pm cause my phone's in a locker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Where did i say they are my actions ?
    I asked a question about the place i work?

I have not said management are right in what they are doing. I asked a question.
    Calm down.

Well what's your angle on it so?

Are you an employee that doesn't care if their phone is taken off them?

Are you an employee that carries their phone about but doesn't use it?

Are you an employee that spends loads of time in the jacks and has been pulled up on it?

You asked if it was common practice (taking phones away)...no I wouldn't say it is. I do however, know of jobs where having a mobile on site is instant dismissal but that's very clearly set out in the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The OP’s management are like the GAA coach who curses and threatens the players who show up to training about the players who don’t bother to show up to training

Too lazy to tackle the offenders and so put in a needlessly complicated “solution”

If your working in a factory or production line in a massive factory you should have your phone on you at all times.

What ??
    So, say in a plant producing foodstuff or drink, it would be ok for employees to have a phone on them?
    Theres no risk of a phone contaminating food or drink?

Would you like the person making your lunch roll at the deli using their phone with one hand while assembling your food ?

Ever hear of Health and safety ?

GreeBo wrote: »
    But if you have a procedure in place why do you also need to lock phones away?
    Is it that the employees dont trust themselves to not use their phone if it isnt locked away?:confused:

They cant help using phones. Thats the problem.
    Its commonplace now. In all walks of life.
    Its affecting their work, and affecting other workers, so i guess they have to do something to deter excessive over use during company time.

vandriver wrote: »
    5,700 posts just to lay the groundwork for a troll post.Thats a well laid master plan!

Yes .
    I started the foundations for this post 9 years ago .... :P :D

"Patience , young Padawan ...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭JayRoc

The message doesnt get passed on in a timely manner.

Happened to my brother. Receptionist "got distracted" by other calls and didn't pass the message, then went off on her break, so it was over an hour before he eventually did get the message that his son had been taken to hospital.

By the time he got to there, his four year old son was dead.

That's horrific. I'm so sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Allinall

They cant help using phones. Thats the problem.
    Its commonplace now. In all walks of life.
    Its affecting their work, and affecting other workers, so i guess they have to do something to deter excessive over use during company time.

A couple of dismissals after appropriate warnings would soon solve the problem.

This would be the correct way to manage the issue.

Allinall wrote: »
    A couple of dismissals after appropriate warnings would soon solve the problem.

This would be the correct way to manage the issue.

Yes , i would agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It's stunning how some posters here cannot imagine different kinds of workplaces. Ones with forklifts, or operating theatres or prisoners or whatever. Just cos something isn't needed in your place doesn't mean it's not needed in others.

I don't need to imagine workplaces with forklifts, I work in one. And yes phones are not allowed in the warehouse area. However they are not time-locked by management in lockers that employees can only access at certain times and there are procedures in place if someone does bring their phone (without permission) into the warehouse.
    JayRoc wrote: »
    That's an interesting point.

So what do people like security officers, gym instructors, pharma workers, etc do? Do they not have kids in creche? Any supermarket staff I know would not be permitted to carry a mobile phone during shift; surely they have kids?

And if someone works at a desk job I presume they would have a landline on their desk that can be called in an emergency.

I'm not arguing with you here; I am curious. I can't envisage being able to do my job if I needed to be available for personal calls all the time.

As I mentioned before, there are workarounds that people can put in place with smartwatches to give them a little bit of connectivity for emergencies. One of my friends works in a pharma lab & she has a chance every hour to go to the loo (her role requires someone to cover her so mini-breaks are scheduled each hour for all staff on a rotational basis). The toilets are in the locker room so she does a quick check of her phone for anything urgent at that point.

I work in a desk job but I'm more likely to have my mobile on me than be near my landline. And the past year especially as my landline is essentially redundant.
    AnRothar wrote: »
    In a vain attempt to deal with this issue local management installed similar boxes.
    These are nifty.
    Each individual box has multiple charging cables and is pin protected.

So to use one all an individual has to do is select a box.
    Enter a pin.
    Put the phone in the box with free charging as a bonus.
    Lock the door.

See that would actually be a good option as the owner of the phone is responsible for the locking of the box. I think my main issue would be management having the control over locking the box.
    Do you realise how hard it is to dismiss a worker nowadays?

They are formulating a structure for weeks/months at this stage to protect themselves for the Compo Culture people that would loved to be dismissed without proper proceudure being followed.
    So they are ultra careful.

It's actually not that difficult to dismiss someone if you can show that they broke company procedures that are in place for everyone and that the correct disciplinary process was followed leading up to dismissal. They can bring a case all they like to the WRC but if the employer has just followed standard company policy, it's more than likely the case will get dismissed. I know of 1 company who is up with the WRC on average 20 times a year for people chancing their arm at a claim but hasn't had a finding against them in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

mightyreds wrote: »
    We had this policy in a previous job I worked in until someone got seriously injured in a remote part of the workshop and could not ring for help, he had to just lie there for 2 hours till he was found. The policy was removed that day.

It was better in the 50s when there were no phones and they would lay on the factory floor like good worker bees until their foreman told them they could clock off and go for help.

What ??
    So, say in a plant producing foodstuff or drink, it would be ok for employees to have a phone on them?
    Theres no risk of a phone contaminating food or drink?

Would you like the person making your lunch roll at the deli using their phone with one hand while assembling your food ?

Ever hear of Health and safety ?

I forgot all the deli phone lock boxes I see on the wall all the time, good point.

It's actually not that difficult to dismiss someone if you can show that they broke company procedures that are in place for everyone and that the correct disciplinary process was followed leading up to dismissal. They can bring a case all they like to the WRC but if the employer has just followed standard company policy, it's more than likely the case will get dismissed. I know of 1 company who is up with the WRC on average 20 times a year for people chancing their arm at a claim but hasn't had a finding against them in 10 years.

Sorry, i meant that they needed to do a lot of work to draft the procedure in place to follow proper procedures.
    Some people think you can just say " OI i told to not use your phone, You are sacked, get out"....
    Everything has to follow the employment laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Sorry, i meant that they needed to do a lot of work to draft the procedure in place to follow proper procedures.
    Some people think you can just say " OI i told to not use your phone, You are sacked, get out"....
    Everything has to follow the employment laws.

Or you can just write "Mobile Phone at work" policy, hand two copies to everyone, one to be signed.
    Then verbal warning, written warning, final written warning and eventually dismissal if someone is really stubborn.

Not a chance for WRC to stay on the side of the employee after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yes , i would agree.

Oh you agree with allinal, but when I suggested firing someone, dismissal was far too much a complex issue.

Come off it, your management team are as lazy as your production staff....tone starts from the top n all that!

hots wrote: »
    I forgot all the deli phone lock boxes I see on the wall all the time, good point.

`But you'll ignore the other point then?

How do you know what the procedures are in the deli? How do you know that they dont have to put their phones in lockers?

You wont see them on their phones though .

`But you'll ignore the other point then?

How do you know what the procedures are in the deli? How do you know that they dont have to put their phones in lockers?

You wont see them on their phones though .

Oh no you'd never see deli lads on the phone :pac: they'd be flat out swiping away and then throw on a pair of gloves as you come and ask for your tuna sandwich, no issue.

Oh you agree with allinal, but when I suggested firing someone, dismissal was far too much a complex issue.

Come off it, your management team are as lazy as your production staff....tone starts from the top n all that!

Sorry , did i offend you by not agreeing with you...
    Humble apologies .....

And i dont think i said a "far too much a complex issue"?
    Can you find it for me ?

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    Oh no you'd never see deli lads on the phone :pac: they'd be flat out swiping away and then throw on a pair of gloves as you come and ask for your tuna sandwich, no issue.

You must go to Subway for your rolls then .... :p

Advertisement