Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobiles in the workplace.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If any of this happens, the employer isn't responsible, because they haven't taken over handling your personal emergency. They could be responsible for any incompetent receptionists they might have and distress and trauma flowing from mishandling in an emergency.

We’ve now gone to a whole new realm.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

Dav010 wrote: »

What do you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Dav010 wrote: »

Exactly, a whole new realm of bull****.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Exactly, a whole new realm of bull****.

Care to explain exactly what the bull**** is?

My first child was born in 1989 and the last was born in 1999, they all went and puked in school at various different times, never had a problem being contacted in work, no mobile involved.

here’s the thing, it’s 2021 where we are all lucky enough to have access to great technology called a mobile phone, we’re we can receive good and bad news immediately. It’s called progress.

If I had to call a loved one during an emergency, I do not want to speak to a receptionist, as well as that worked out for you circa 1988 to 1999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

My first child was born in 1989 and the last was born in 1999, they all went and puked in school at various different times, never had a problem being contacted in work, no mobile involved.

We should all stay in the dark ages on the basis of your survivor bias so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

here’s the thing, it’s 2021 where we are all lucky enough to have access to great technology called a mobile phone, we’re we can receive good and bad news immediately. It’s called progress.

If I had to call a loved one during an emergency, I do not want to speak to a receptionist, as well as that worked out for you circa 1988 to 1999

It isn't a receptionist though, it should be your direct manager/team leader that can find you in no time ;)

There are jobs where you can't use your phone while working. Period. We are not talking office where your phone is on the desk next to you.

We are talking about manufacturing/warehouse environment. Some places allow it as long as reasonable, some must be more strict.

What's wrong with having your phone with you/ near you in case someone is trying to contact you? Pre-covid I had my phone with me in the office. It usually sat on my desk, a few inches behind my coffee cup and was always, alway, always on vibrate mode. Like the others in my office, we wouldn't have it on general mode out of consideration for others who don't want to be distracted by a phone ringing if it can be helped. If ever anyone needed to call me, it would simply vibrate and I'd pick it up, step out of the room and take the call quietly just outside the office. Boss did the same. I certainly didn't set mindlessly scrolling all day or streaming music etc. I wouldn't really be inclined to pick it up otherwise.

Who are these people? I seriously just assumed others had the same adult approach to their phones during the working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Guys I have to say that I am really enjoying this thread.
    Based on many of the posts I must work with most of your clones.

It has been interesting but time to rejoin the adult responsible world where professionalism reigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Care to explain exactly what the bull**** is?

When I read distress and trauma
    It's bull****..
    Judge Judy Abu...
    My mother was taken to hospital in 1994 where she died a few hours later. I was on the road working and when I got to my destination there was a message saying to ring my father,who obviously wasn't home so I rang work and told them I was making my way to the hospital unfortunately she had died before I got there, yes it was sad but was there distress and trauma to me? No.

• Advertisement

What happens if the battery died in your precious phone, what happens if the network goes down, what happens if there isn't enough money to pay your phone bill, what happens if the cat has kittens... For God sake give me a break, what is wrong with people snowflaking everything!! My first child was born in 1989 and the last was born in 1999, they all went and puked in school at various different times, never had a problem being contacted in work, no mobile involved.

Then you are very lucky. Many of us have not been so lucky regarding our children's medical issues.

I would have thought that was a bit obvious. Children's hospitals are nearly always full.

AnRothar wrote: »
    Guys I have to say that I am really enjoying this thread.
    Based on many of the posts I must work with most of your clones.

It has been interesting but time to rejoin the adult responsible world where professionalism reigns.

In this world, being an adult, I get to keep my phone and my boss doesn't care if I use it during work hours once I'm still performing my tasks.

They certainly didn't ban the entire workforce because an idiot can't do his job properly.

It's bull****..
    Judge Judy Abu...
    My mother was taken to hospital in 1994 where she died a few hours later. I was on the road working and when I got to my destination there was a message saying to ring my father,who obviously wasn't home so I rang work and told them I was making my way to the hospital unfortunately she had died before I got there, yes it was sad but was there distress and trauma to me? No.

I don't think everyone would feel the same way, particularly if being allowed access to their own phone would have made a difference. Employers would need to consider this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Worked on a huge construction project a few years ago. No phones allowed on site. There were designated phone areas to take and make calls on each floor. It was a bit of a balls tbh....12 lads inside a painted square talking in their phones and the world listening in as it was in a very busy corridor.

We were working out measurements on the phone calculator one day and a site foreman nearly had a meltdown when he saw the phone out....me typing in the numbers and my boss calling out figures. He got told to politely fcuk off and mind his own business.

It's bull****..
    Judge Judy Abu...

but was there distress and trauma to me? No.

That's ok then. Once your personal experience didn't cause you distress sure why would anyone else be allowed to feel anything different.

Antares35 wrote: »
    That's ok then. Once your personal experience didn't cause you distress sure why would anyone else be allowed to feel anything different.

I guess they were way more emergencies caused by people using their phones when they shouldn't than distress and trauma of people who couldn't check their phone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

What happens if the battery died in your precious phone, what happens if the network goes down, what happens if there isn't enough money to pay your phone bill, what happens if the cat has kittens... For God sake give me a break, what is wrong with people snowflaking everything!! My first child was born in 1989 and the last was born in 1999, they all went and puked in school at various different times, never had a problem being contacted in work, no mobile involved.

In the 80's/90's I knew everyone's house phone number off by heart, now I don't even know my own landline number.

Society has moved on. Mobile phones are part and parcel of modern society. I'll be honest and say I don't know where my siblings work nevermind their office numbers as I've always been able to contact them on their mobiles.

Yes there are plenty of jobs where mobiles are not allowed but you know that from induction when you start and it's up to you to manage your dependents accordingly.

However if you've been working for a company for a number of years and they suddenly unilaterally change policies of course there's going to be kick back. That's not being a snowflake.

wonski wrote: »
    I guess they were way more emergencies caused by people using their phones when they shouldn't than distress and trauma of people who couldn't check their phone ;)

Well once we're all guessing and not actually refering to facts then sure we might as well say whatever we want ;)

Ps nobody is claiming trauma from not being able to check their phones, it is in the context of not being notified about family illness. But I think you knew that.

Well once we're all guessing and not actually refering to facts then sure we might as well say whatever we want ;)

Ps nobody is claiming trauma from not being able to check their phones, it is in the context of not being notified about family illness. But I think you knew that.

I work in a team of around 70 people. It isn't like there is an emergency call every day. The type of emergencies you are talking about once a year maybe.

Incidents, near misses, accidents - dozens.

By saying "I am guessing" I am politely telling you that it just doesn't happen in real life.

If one expect an important phonecall they would tell me. We have wireless land-line numbers phones that can be used. It can be managed in a way that no one feels left out of touch with family issue.

If you can't have your phone on you at work for a reason then you can't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Why would the poster have to care about some other poster’s family situation.

Asking why would the poster have to care about some other poster losing their 4 year old nephew is one of the most depressing things I have ever read on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

JayRoc wrote: »
    Asking why would the poster have to care about some other poster losing their 4 year old nephew is one of the most depressing things I have ever read on boards.

And I find it depressing to see how sob stories are being used to “prove” points. And this is not aimed at the person who had posted about their nephew as they had kept their post neutral.
    Attacking someone for addressing the post in an equally neutral tone is what I find highly annoying.

By saying "I am guessing" I am politely telling you that it just doesn't happen in real life.

Did you miss the part where another poster recounted that it did? There isn't anything polite about your demonstrable absence of empathy.

We have wireless land-line numbers phones that can be used. It can be managed in a way that no one feels left out of touch with family issue.

Maybe you should have typewriters too instead of computers in case any of the employees are tempted to doss on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Jequ0n wrote: »
    And I find it depressing to see how sob stories are being used to “prove” points. And this is not aimed at the person who had posted about their nephew as they had kept their post neutral.
    Attacking someone for addressing the post in an equally neutral tone is what I find highly annoying.

I cannot imagine anyone saying the remark I quoted above to the face of someone who had just told a story about the death of their infant nephew. It's not a ****ing sob story and frankly, if anything, it further illustrates how the internet has apparently warped our thinking...

The type who is all mouth on their smartphones... they are anonymous and so is whoever they are interacting with.

"These aren't real people, they're just words on a screen so I can say anything I want"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Slightly different than the OP.

I work in a "no phone" environment, not productivity/H&S related and it works grand.

Anyone with kids, no kids, pregnant wives, sick relatives, the whole gambit. The phone is in secure lockers which they alone have the key to.

We work it that if they need to check their phone, they are free to do so. If they need to make a call, they have to leave the building and make the call.

Otherwise, there's a general office number that people can ring for emergency purposes to contact them. This has never been used in my time here, as people are free to regularly check their phone and usually see missed calls/messages.

There's a small bit of effort involved if you just want to shyte talk or browse social media.

Overall it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

greenspurs wrote: »
    And he wasnt missed for 2 hours ?

Just seeing this now
    No wasn't a big place just a warehouse with about 6 lads. 3 in early to get set up, 2 lads were off getting trailers ready for loading while he was putting away what was delivered that morning,
    a rack broke and crushed him and wasn't noticed till the others arrived in to start picking orders with him.

Did you miss the part where another poster recounted that it did? There isn't anything polite about your demonstrable absence of empathy.

It did happen because of an idiot receiving the call decided to go for lunch instead of passing the message.

You can't legislate for that.

Sure, let's let everyone have their phones on and answer them in case there is an emergency.

Because you don't know if it is emergency until you answer it.

That will sort the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

JayRoc wrote: »
    I cannot imagine anyone saying the remark I quoted above to the face of someone who had just told a story about the death of their infant nephew. It's not a ****ing sob story and frankly, if anything, it further illustrates how the internet has apparently warped our thinking...

The type who is all mouth on their smartphones... they are anonymous and so is whoever they are interacting with.

"These aren't real people, they're just words on a screen so I can say anything I want"

Oh I stopped saying a lot of things for exactly the reason you are displaying here. You know what’s perfectly fine? Saying nothing, but that also doesn’t seem to be good enough for you.

Stop telling other people how to respond because they don’t have to care about something that you hold dear, simple.

There was no need to attack the poster. And now we can go back to the actual topic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

I can’t imagine working in a company where I would hand in my phone at the start of the day! I’m genuinely wondering whether the OP is making it up?

• Advertisement

It did happen because of an idiot receiving the call decided to go for lunch instead of passing the message.

You can't legislate for that.

Sure, let's let everyone have their phones on and answer them in case there is an emergency.

Because you don't know if it is emergency until you answer it.

That will sort the problem.

Nobody is talking about legislating what are you on about?

Advertisement