Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just home after dinner in Empire in Swords, formerly the Slaughtered Lamb.

Was never there when it was the slam and we'd lunch there a few weeks ago which I put down to them just opening.

I don't have one single positive from the evening. From being seated to someone taking drinks orders was fifteen minutes.

I ordered wings, which came whole rather than the more usual being split into two, and were soggy so that seperating the two sides/pieces was a battle.

OH had lamb for mains, which was fatty and sparse in terms of the portion, I'd the roast beef, which was so tough I literally sawed at it to get it to edible sizes. My roast potatoes were either burnt or soggy, and the yorkshire pud would have made an excellent sliotar, so tough was it.

And we were overcharged on the bill. The service was also appallingly slow

Even weirder, when going outside for a cigarette out the back, there is a conservatory which houses a back bar, four walls, fully enclosed roof, and everyone in there was smoking including the staff, appears they are breaking the anti smoking laws.

Won't be going back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That sounds dreadful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That sounds dreadful.

It was absolutely horrid, there seem to be a surfeit of "management" types who stand around chatting. At one point as we were seated near the kitchen I overheard two waitresses trying to figure out who was going to cover which tables. When we were waiting for the first fifteen minutes we had members of the waiting staff pass us about 10 times without so much as asking if we wanted to order drinks/food

The manager is the former manager of Wrights cafe bar

I do actually have one positive, the place is beautifully done up, and if the service and food were about 1000% better, it's somewhere I'd happily spend a Saturday afternoon having a couple of drinks and chilling out.

Service when we had lunch there was the same, so nothing has changed in the past month or so

I remember slating hogs and heifers when it opened, but the food was decent, these guys can't even get bog standard roast lamb and beef right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

sgarvan wrote: »
    Love the food in Blue & Ollies, just find Ollies better value overall.

How did you find the price in Blue? Went there a while ago and noticed a big jump in their prices and a smaller menu.

I find that the price reflects the quality of the food & service to be honest. Cutting back on the menu size probably allowed them concentrate on the better-selling dishes & also give more scope for daily/weekly specials.

If I didn't think that I was getting value for money I wouldn't go back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Stheno wrote: »
    It was absolutely horrid, there seem to be a surfeit of "management" types who stand around chatting. At one point as we were seated near the kitchen I overheard two waitresses trying to figure out who was going to cover which tables. When we were waiting for the first fifteen minutes we had members of the waiting staff pass us about 10 times without so much as asking if we wanted to order drinks/food

The manager is the former manager of Wrights cafe bar

I do actually have one positive, the place is beautifully done up, and if the service and food were about 1000% better, it's somewhere I'd happily spend a Saturday afternoon having a couple of drinks and chilling out.

Service when we had lunch there was the same, so nothing has changed in the past month or so

I remember slating hogs and heifers when it opened, but the food was decent, these guys can't even get bog standard roast lamb and beef right.

They'll have to up their game if they're going to survive in Swords because there are so many good places to eat now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Didn't even know the slaughtered lamb had gone :o

I just had a pretty bad take out experience with pizza dog, on with a just eat rep now cos it was shocking. Won't be ordering there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Carter12

Just home after dinner in Empire in Swords, formerly the Slaughtered Lamb.

Was never there when it was the slam and we'd lunch there a few weeks ago which I put down to them just opening.

I don't have one single positive from the evening. From being seated to someone taking drinks orders was fifteen minutes.

I ordered wings, which came whole rather than the more usual being split into two, and were soggy so that seperating the two sides/pieces was a battle.

OH had lamb for mains, which was fatty and sparse in terms of the portion, I'd the roast beef, which was so tough I literally sawed at it to get it to edible sizes. My roast potatoes were either burnt or soggy, and the yorkshire pud would have made an excellent sliotar, so tough was it.

And we were overcharged on the bill. The service was also appallingly slow

Even weirder, when going outside for a cigarette out the back, there is a conservatory which houses a back bar, four walls, fully enclosed roof, and everyone in there was smoking including the staff, appears they are breaking the anti smoking laws.

Won't be going back

Hi, did you complain ?

Just wondering if you did and how they responded to it.

Carter12 wrote: »
    Hi, did you complain ?

Just wondering if you did and how they responded to it.

I asked why people were smoking in the enclosed back bar and was told it was part of the outdoor smoking area. When I pointed out it was fully enclosed the person I was talking to just shrugged and walked off.

Better news about the Empire - my daughter and her boyfriend were there last night and said the food was excellent. No issues with service either, so it might be just a bit hit and miss at the minute.

• Advertisement

Better news about the Empire - my daughter and her boyfriend were there last night and said the food was excellent. No issues with service either, so it might be just a bit hit and miss at the minute.

Could well be, it was packed the night I was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

In Hoggs and Heifers in Airside for the first time this evening, might be a once off but the place wasn't packed. 15 minutes waiting to order, firstly we were asked what we wanted to drink, had to point out that we were not given a drinks menu. Ordered food which arrived before our cutlery, asked for mayo twice.

Food was nice but service or lack of means we won't be going back. Even had to wait on our change when paying the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I was down the cinema in Balbriggan this morning and I see Thai Gourmet is now called Karma www.karmathai.com
    Loved Thai gourmet do very interested to see how this place goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

cloud493 wrote: »
    Didn't even know the slaughtered lamb had gone :o

I just had a pretty bad take out experience with pizza dog, on with a just eat rep now cos it was shocking. Won't be ordering there again.

Absolutely love Pizza dog, favourite takeaway pizza around. What was wrong with your order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I was down the cinema in Balbriggan this morning and I see Thai Gourmet is now called Karma www.karmathai.com
    Loved Thai gourmet do very interested to see how this place goes.

Had a meal in it over Christmas. Food still fantastic and they took a Thai Gourmet voucher from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Friend of mine was in Hogs and Heifers over new years, they have moved away from being a music venue for bands now and are only doing a DJ, probably to cut down on costs. Shame really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It was like that when I visited in October. Just like another section of the wright venue now sadly...

Relaxing night in tonight had a nice Chinese from Jade Palace :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Shred

I've eaten out of Fabio's (Swords Manor) a couple of more times since and it's been consistently good each time.
    The family and I finally got around to trying Ruby's last Sunday evening and it was lovely. It was really busy and we were told there'd be a 15-20 minute wait. We were shown to our table after about 15 minutes and the staff were very friendly and helpful and the service was prompt. I had the ribs which were amazing; lots of tender meat in a lovely sweet and sticky BBQ sauce. Definately the nicest ribs I've had in quite a while and the menu doesn't lie regarding the full rack being for the biggest appetites - I had the half rack and was stuffed! The wife had the Monk fish which consisted of fairly large chunks of fish in a lovely light Tempura batter. Junior had chicken goujons with chips and a bowl of ice cream, there were two soft drinks and a Moscow Mule cocktail and it came to just above €50 which I though was decent value. We'll most certainly be giving it another lash soon.

Shred wrote: »
    I've eaten out of Fabio's (Swords Manor) a couple of more times since and it's been consistently good each time.
    The family and I finally got around to trying Ruby's last Sunday evening and it was lovely. It was really busy and we were told there'd be a 15-20 minute wait. We were shown to our table after about 15 minutes and the staff were very friendly and helpful and the service was prompt. I had the ribs which were amazing; lots of tender meat in a lovely sweet and sticky BBQ sauce. Definately the nicest ribs I've had in quite a while and the menu doesn't lie regarding the full rack being for the biggest appetites - I had the half rack and was stuffed! The wife had the Monk fish which consisted of fairly large chunks of fish in a lovely light Tempura batter. Junior had chicken goujons with chips and a bowl of ice cream, there were two soft drinks and a Moscow Mule cocktail and it came to just above €50 which I though was decent value. We'll most certainly be giving it another lash soon.

+1 to both, I finally managed to cook a homemade spag bol that the OH considers better than Fabios this week, it's our go too place if we've both had a tough day, no food is made, and we just want to eat at home.

Most Fridays we are wrecked, so head down to stroll around pavilions, we both work from home frequently so getting out and about at the end of the week is important to us.

Quarter to nine this evening, OH said "what will we do about food" and me thinking that Rubys like most places in Swords closed food at nine, ran him down there.

Turns out they serve food until 10 Thurs-Sat :D

They were full, so we'd a pleasant time perusing the menu and having a drink while we waited for a table.

We got seated, and shared a carne pizza with salami, pepperoni, parma ham and red peppers, it was delicious, so delicious I ate about twice as much as I would.

The service was superb, the atmosphere was lovely, we'd been previously mid week, and I thought it would be a bit like Wrights/the Schoolhouse (same owners) on a Friday night when it's mental (I'm old, so I don't like mental Fridays)

Not at all, all the tables were occupied, good music was playing, but it was much more restauranty, we thoroughly enjoyed it, and it's now on our list of what to do on a Friday after our regular walk through Pavilions :) It was incredibly relaxing, I was delighted to see them so busy, and a great mix of people there too :)

I do have one small quibble, they'd a meat platter on special according to the blackboard in the window, and when we asked about it, was told it was incorrect and the daily special was different, won't stop me going back, but it did set my OCD twitching.

Seperately, I was ill during the week, and ended up in a and e, getting out at about 8:15. OH then got lost driving me home, and wanting to feed me (he can't cook) we ended up in Pink Elephant in Swords. It's rarely mentioned here, so I don't know if it's a case of people don't eat there or think it's rubbish, but I rate it highly for both food and service.

Not feeling 100% I ordered spring rolls and a half portion of yom tum soup with duck (think that's the name, I love the stuff) and left the noodles as I don't like noodles in soup.

Now in what I consider amazing service I asked for a half portion (it's listed as a main) and the server asked a few questions and ended up asking me if I wanted a starter sized portion which suited me down to the ground.

When I didn't eat the noodles, they then spent time explaining that they cook everything from scratch, advised that in future I should specify exactly what I wanted e.g. no noodles, more brocolli/carrots and they would be happy to oblige.

My OHs daugher has massive food allergies and along with Ollies in Skerries, Pink Elephant are one of the most obliging places we can take her to eat.

The service when we were there this week was incredible, and given I wasn't feeling well was sincerely appreciated.

It contrasts to another eatery in Sword whom we visited about five minutes before whom on seating us demanded we order quickly as the kitchen was closing 35 minutes later.

I always enjoy reading your reviews Stheno.
    Sorry to hear you were unwell. Hope you are on the up.

• Advertisement

Went to Indie Spice in Swords this evening for Mrs B's birthday. It was nice, but I wasn't 'wowed' as I have been on previous visits.

Went to Indie Spice in Swords this evening for Mrs B's birthday. It was nice, but I wasn't 'wowed' as I have been on previous visits.

I've had takeaway from there and wasn't impressed, much préfer chilli shaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I haven't been back to Indie Spice since they served me raw chicken. It was the starter that is marinated in spice/yoghurt and cooked in the clay oven. Two pieces must have been much thicker than the rest of the skewer and didn't cook through. I sent it back. The waiter(s) tried to cover it up from the manager so my complaint wasn't addressed properly. I didn't realise it at the time but when my husband and the other two people with me spoke about it we realised that was what happened. To be fair I think the manager would have handled differently.

The waiter offered me a drink on the house as compensation. A drink for a pregnant woman (I know, I know, I could have had a coke)..... I like a fool actually paid for the dish as it wasn't taken off the bill because the waiter(s) didn't bring it to the manager's attention.

I totally accept that restaurants can make mistakes but I was very annoyed and upset about how it was handled. I couldn't wait to get out of the place. I haven't been back and I won't go back - EVER.

BTW it was 2007 - I still haven't got over it. :o I'm a regular customer (takeaway) of Moti Mahal in Balbriggan now. I couldn't recommend them highly enough.:D

It's such a disappointment when a restaurant isn't all you expect, especially when it's for a special occasion.
    Pipmae wrote: »
    I haven't been back to Indie Spice since they served me raw chicken.

Ick! something like that is enough to put you off permanently.

I've never eaten in Indie Spice but I've had a few takeaways. I've always found Chilli Shaker better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

use to go to indie spice a good bit but havnet been in years, they tried to shaft us with a service charge when we brought other halfs family there. theyd scribbled in a service charge amount on the bottom of the bill and was no mention of service charges on the menu or anywhere else

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I've had takeaway from there and wasn't impressed, much préfer chilli shaker

Just back from ChilliShaker , had the sunday family lunch special . Top Notch as per usual and the guys in there are really nice , always remember you and ane super friendly . Somewhat the opposite to their opposition across the road .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Chillishaker is the best curry I've found here so far, in terms of take away anyway :p and one time when we weren't satisfied with our food, they rushed over a refund, along with a €40 voucher.

I see Fei's Garden Chinese in Balbriggan has been slapped with a FSAI closure order.:eek: I don't eat Chinese food myself - I prefer Indian - but I thought I'd alert the NCD foodies on Boards.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/eddie-rockets-outlet-and-spar-deli-served-with-closure-orders-in-january-30966968.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Is Ruby's still walk in only or do they take booking? Have unexpected babysitter tonight for quick meal out

I think it's still walk in - but if you give them a call they might take a booking. It's worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

polydactyl wrote: »
    Is Ruby's still walk in only or do they take booking? Have unexpected babysitter tonight for quick meal out
    Still walk in.

Went to Essence in Swords for lunch. They do the best wings around.

I saw Essence, along with 3 other NCD restaurants, got a mention here for their wings...for what it's worth:

http://onspecial.ie/bestwings

I haven't even eaten in Essence yet but I do love the wings in Masterson's.

The Grill @ Ollie's is missing from that list. :)

If the Eastern Seaboard Bar and Grill (in Drogheda) was a few miles south they would have made the list IMO. :D

So many good wings spots, I'll just have to check them all out as I do love wings! Having said that I make some delish ones at home, even if I say so myself :P

The Ohs son is over this weekend, and as I fed the OH a large breakfast/brunch, we'd a rare opportunity to overrule him, and so decided to go to Chilli Shaker for dinner.

Twas lovely, I'd the aloo chap and then the meat platter for two (all for me :D) and Ohs son had the chilli masala as his main (can't remember his starter, it was something mundane like a bhajee) and loved it

The service was excellent, Ohs son was warned the masala was very hot and sure enough it was, but he loved it, and my food was super, apart from some lamb that was very gristly and I left it. When the waiter came to collect the plates he asked if there was a problem with what I had left and was very courteous when I explained I don't like gristle in meat.

Only gripe is that they got the bill wrong and left off two glasses of wine, they were very appreciative when I pointed out that they were undercharging (now stop scratching your heads, I suffer from the honesty gene and years of working as a waiter), but I'd reckon about one time in five I go out to eat I have to point out an undercharge on the bill and it irks me.

As a result they got no tip, but we will definitely be going back

Bit of a dining weekend to mark the OH's significant birthday.

Friday we headed over to Blue bar in Skerries. The kids had gougons and chips, and chicken burger and chips, both were good portions and real chicken!
    we had wings to start (obviously!) and I had a rib eye for mains, she had prawn red curry. both were delicious. with cokes and kids deserst it came to €116 which to be honest is a bit dear for whats around, but it was a well serviced, well cooked dinner.

Last night we went to Bon Apetit, and that was fantastic. prawn dumplings to start were incredible, and the monkfish mains was one of the best I've ever had. OH had delicious scallops to start, and a beautifully cooked cod for mains. The other couple with us both had soup for starters and they shared a ribeye for two, which looked great.
    That came to €230 for 4 of us, including drinks. Ironically the bill the last time we were there was the same just for two of us! Small issues with service, like the starters arriving before the wine, but all staff were pleasant and there was a lovely feeling in the restaurant. Never felt rushed despite a 7.30 sitting. I'd recommend the place to anyone.

Quite spoiled this weekend we were!

Where is Bon Appetit?

• Advertisement

Where is Bon Appetit?

It's in Malahide. They do great value Sunday lunch we keep saying we will go over for. Think it's €23 for 2 courses, and I heard kids eat free!

Sounds good. Cheers!

Can anyone recommend a restaurant for a Communion lunch? There would be 8 adults and 7 children. I'd love to go somewhere in Skerries but I'd need to be able to make a reservation. I know I've left it late with regard to a booking.:mad:

Blue Bar, The Grill @ Ollie's & The Windmill would all be good spots & they all take reservations. However, the size of your group may pose an issue when it comes to seating in all three places.

The Man O' War would also be worth considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Anyone know of a good Lebanese/Turkish restaurant in North Dublin, not in city centre though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I like Café Oasis on North King Street, that is probably the city centre though.

• Advertisement

I went to Kajjal with work on Thursday. OMG is was amazing as always. I got the chilli scalops to start and Bhuna Gosht (Originating from the cuisine of Northern Pakistan, chunks of lamb with chopped onions and peppers and a selection of spices. Garnished with fresh coriander and spring onion.)

The staff are also lovely and i cant recomned this place enough :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yknaa

Raffs in Skerries was excellent yesterday for Sunday dinner. Steak on a stone (on a voucher!) was really nice. Great friendly service too.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Last night we went to Bon Apetit, and that was fantastic. prawn dumplings to start were incredible, and the monkfish mains was one of the best I've ever had. OH had delicious scallops to start, and a beautifully cooked cod for mains. The other couple with us both had soup for starters and they shared a ribeye for two, which looked great.
    That came to €230 for 4 of us, including drinks. Ironically the bill the last time we were there was the same just for two of us! Small issues with service, like the starters arriving before the wine, but all staff were pleasant and there was a lovely feeling in the restaurant. Never felt rushed despite a 7.30 sitting. I'd recommend the place to anyone.

Quite spoiled this weekend we were!

I have to go back to this place. Had the 7 course tasting menu about 4 or 5 years ago now and it was unreal, I hear they've changed direction a bit from fine dining now? But good to hear the food is still great, will be going back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Has anyone been to\used Moti Mahal in Balbriggan recently? Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

neemish wrote: »
    Has anyone been to\used Moti Mahal in Balbriggan recently? Ta

Not sat in it in a good good while but have had take away. Quite good food but the ordering can be slow sometimes

• Advertisement
Advertisement