Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servcie mobility scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The ability to wfh will play a huge part in applicants decision making, you’d imagine, so I don’t think there’ll be as much take up as originally imagined?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Does anyone know if time spent acting counts towards your 2 years?

I was in an acting EO position last year and now substantive (probation).

Does the 2 years start from when I was in the acting position or from this year when been made substantive?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Does anyone know if garda civilian is shift work or just Monday to Friday daytime hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭billyhead

Shift work in stations as far as I know. Normal days and hours in other Garda civilian workplaces. Have you been offered a position and if so what grade are you?

Acting doesn’t count afaik.

• Advertisement

I was just debating whether to take it off hold. I think i'll leave it. I dont want to do shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Does anyone know of anyone that has got moved through the list based mobility as a heo for example? I’ve heard of no one…. Only ones I’ve seen to get it are the ones who applied and did interviews for the advertise positions

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭757TFFIU

Just joining this thread - I applied for HEO list based mobility when applications originally opened. I'm currently in a Dublin based Department which I'm eager to move on from.

I've applied to move to one of four other Dublin based Departments and I have been finding it very slow - as in I'm only moving up a handful of places in three of those Departments since mobility opened. However, in one Dublin based Department, there does seem to be some consistent movement with me having moved up approx. 6 places over the last 2 and a half/3 months, so I'm into the top 10.

One other HEO in my division tells me she applied for Departments in Kildare and Laois, and advises me she is finding it very slow, and can't see herself moving out of Dublin for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kirbi

You're right, it hasn't been stopped.

They're not merged though - AOs and HEOs are on separate lists from each other, and the HR chooses which to draw from. The Advert-based is similar - the Advert goes out to all registered in the grade (either AO or HEO in this case).

It starts from your Hire or Promotion date, so the probationary period is included in the 2 years.

If you were in receipt of Acting-Up / Higher Duties though, that wouldn't be included i.e. if you were a CO acting up to EO for a year, and then got fully promoted to EO you'd have to do 2 years as an EO after the promotion.

• Advertisement

I've seen a 3 or 4 HEOs get offers within the last 6 months or so, but they all wound up turning them down - mainly due to uncertainty about the WFH / Covid situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Jesas I hope they were on my lists and I’m offered next!!! 😀

Has anyone moved up much/at all from those who didn’t confirm their interest by 31st Jan? No movement on any of my Zones/PSB (EO Grade).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

It's not shift work unless you specifically applied for a role that was advertised as shift work. It's Mon to Fri otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

I've moved up 1 spot, but there are only 2 HEO's in that department so not exactly hopeful. My other 2 departments that I was hoping to make some progress on haven't moved at all.

Only hope is now, that the thought of some return to the office in the future might speed up some retirements.

Overnight from 31st January into yesterday, I moved up 1 spot in one Dublin based Department, and 2 spots in another (HEO mobility). I didn't move on the other two places I've applied to. Whether that is due to people just not confirming their interest, or due to people being offered positions is anybody's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Joris Bohnson

Arising from correspondence with Peoplepoint I understand that cancellations due to confirmation of interest have not yet been implemented. While this is due to occur in the very near future, no date has been set of as yet.

I’d have thought that update would be automatic?

Me too - but that is the response I received this morning. Maybe they are giving those who haven't confirmed a final chance?

I wonder if it has happened now? I seem to have moved up 3 places.

• Advertisement

Maybe you could email Peoplepoint to ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,206 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Quick question....can a manager refuse a mobility request?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Not quite sure this is the thread for it but I dont want to make my own.

Been in my current role for 2.5 years and its gotten extremely slow. I should have been moved to a busier unit in the department but the PO didnt want to lose me and stopped that so I have been kind of sitting on my hands.

If I wanted to be moved to another unit in my department is there a formal process for that or can I ... you know... just ask? Like the department I am just in a sleepy section.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

The 1 spot that I moved up, reverted the next day unfortunately. The person in front of me must have left it till the last minute the confirm their interest and then it took a day or 2 to update.

I have spoken with Peoplepoint and they have confirmed that the "computer update" has taken place and all positions that we see now is final.

In that light I have cancelled 1 of my applications where I was far enough down the list with little HEO's in that section and have applied for DSP. I am hesitant re DSP, as I am from the town and don't think it's a great idea to be working in the town you're from in that department, but oh well, I cannot cope with the thought of going back to my old office.

I'm assuming you are asking whether your current line manager can block your mobility request... No, they can't.

It can, however, be blocked by your HR division for underperformance (such as when a Performance Improvement Plan is in place) or if there's pending disciplinary issues.

I am aware of one of my staff who has applied for mobility, simply because they've told me. I can't see their mobility application anywhere else (such as on the Peoplepoint manager screen where I log in to approve leave requests, etc), HR haven't notified me, and I won't be getting any say in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CS2022

I'm an EO outside of Dublin and I'm eager move for a change but also better promotion opportunities. EO roles within my zone are sparse. Would it be foolish to apply for mobility in Dublin and hope to be offered a hybrid working model? One or two days in Dublin and the remainder at home.

You. Can apply and put it in hold.

You'll still move up but won't be forced to take it when your time comes.

You need to be in your dept 2 years to qualify.

I'm on the mobility list 3 years so far for a job near home.

With all the promotions in recent times, how are there not more positions available based on mobility?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭billyhead

Retirements will probably increase with the return to offices freeing up positions.

• Advertisement

Memo went out from NSSO regarding retirements in Q2. They're obviously expecting an exodus

Advertisement