Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servcie mobility scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Does anyone know if you want to work as an Immigration Control Officer as an EO/HEO can you and if it is part of Justice?

I believe some of the recruitment at promotion grade for ICO is internal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

As they are allowanced positions you would have to interview for them when there are competitions ongoing. Usually restricted to serving EOs/HEOs in Justice.

The ICO (CO) grade were recruited via open competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NEWBIEGRL8

Sorry to jump on here but looking for advice if anyone is in the know id so appreciate it.

I am an AP in a Public Body,( AP Standard)in the role nearly 3 years and looking to get out back to a department. HR told me that public servants even at generalist grades cannot apply for mobility... Is that correct does anyone know?

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I don't see how a public servant could expect to shift into a Civil Service role via mobility. You'll have different terms and conditions etc.

You could potentially do a secondment in the Civil Service, but I stand open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kirbi

Your HR are correct. While it's often called 'Mobility', the full title of the scheme is 'Civil Service Mobility' and public servants bodies are not included.

This is specified on the d/PER website. Some relevant passages are under

• General Information: "Civil Service Mobility offers an opportunity for permanent Civil Service staff members to apply for mobility through an open and transparent system" and similar wording, and
    • An FAQ question: "I am a permanent Civil Servant – can I apply for a Mobility move to a public service body such as the HSE, Road Safety Authority, or National Library?" "Civil Service Mobility is only open for Mobility between Civil Service organisations. Consideration will be given at a later stage to extending Civil Service Mobility to enable greater Mobility across the Public Service and provide additional development opportunities."

As far as I know, there has been no further news on the above mention of future expansion to cover this, and the next expansion phase has already been named (Mobility for Professional / Technical roles in the civil service ).

Thanks Kirbi,. hardybuck,

Thanks for clarifying this for me. I don't know why they are not extending it to PS bodies. I might drop CS Mobility an email, not that it would do anything.

Re a secondment; our HR department never advertise those which is odd, I thought they would.

Re my terms and conditions, not sure what you mean there because I'm an AP on the AP scale, all the same terms and conditions as one in the Civil Service, and I know this because I have friends who are AP's in the Civil Service. The only main difference is the mobility issue.

Ill keep plugging away until i can get out. Thanks all

No problem, but are you a civil servant or a public servant? Those are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The only difference in conditions is that civil servants cannot be politically active, whereas public servants can.

Also differences in pensions, which in fairness have since been simplified with the single scheme. A range of different circulars apply to civil servants but not public servants, and presumably the other way around.

A civil servant can move easily within the Civil Service for obvious reasons. The definition of what a public servant is can be quite broad, so not quite as straightforward for a person working in the HSE/County Council/Third Level to move across to a Government Department.

That's why secondments are more suitable than mobility.

• Advertisement

There's a lot of reasons that they haven't included the public service, but the really big one is very simple - CS Mobility is a creation of the Civil Service HR section in D/PER, and their remit is over the civil service and not the public service.

Some of the things that make it more difficult to include the public service in the same scheme are:

• More variance in grade within the public service - sometimes under the same name as a civil service grade i.e. staff officers in county councils.
    • As mentioned above, some variance in terms and conditions. While people may see this as minor, it's not really a factor at all for the current scheme. Because the terms and conditions are not the same, permanent transfers are not something that should occur between civil and public. A lot of work would need to be done on this.
    • As an add-on to the above, some public service organisations have very similar terms to the civil service, but not all do. There's a potential for serious decisions being needed on which organisations / grades could be included and which could not i.e. clerical officers in city and county councils generally get more leave and pay than civil servants, although their work is broadly similar.
    • As a major practical blocker - the technology for the scheme comes under the NSSO, which has predominantly Civil Service clients. They no longer take on new public service clients, with the ones they have being grandfathered in. There would be a lot of manual work involved to expand the existing waitlist scheme to public service officers - for all of the organisations. There's unlikely to be a massive appetite for this by the relevant HRs, as they'd be the ones stuck with the work.
    • As an add-on to the above, it's likely that the Advert-based scheme would be much easier to translate - but the question arises as at whether they'll allow one to go ahead with no hope for the other, leaving out COs and EOs entirely.

Even if they do look at this after the next stage of CS Mobility is complete, it's unlikely to be quick or to be comprehensive in its initial version.

My own guess is that a form of mobility between public service orgs that are alike would be more easily achieved i.e. university mobility, city/county council mobility, etc. This would probably need significant drive inside each sector though.

I am a Public Servant in a State Body that reports to a parent Dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wopbop22

Hi Everyone,

Probably a basic question but the mobility FAQ are confusing on this point. For AP grade is advertisement based mobility the only option? It appears that list based mobility is not available for the AP grade?

Yes, it's advert mobility only for APs and POs; and waitlist mobility only for COs and EOs.

AOs and HEOs have both, but (at least theoretically) not for the same kind of roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rasher_Sausage

Is anybody aware of any HEO mobility positions being offered outside of Dublin. Seems to have been lot movement in Dublin from my own Department, both in and out, and have have heard of other departments. But nothing for rest country. I am hoping to get move to Kilkenny but been little or no movement in my placings on list over the lst 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Not sure about HEO, but I think mobility in particular has been really slow the last few months. I'm an EO, my number really flew up towards the end of summer, into early Q4 last year, but hasn't moved as much since maybe November

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Finally after 3 years and 3 months I've been offered a spot in DSP.

Currently have a 40 minute drive. My move will mean I can Cycle in in about 20 minutes and can declare a car off road.

At a push, my wife could drop me when leaving the kids off for school.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Congratulations @SouthWesterly

Thanks. Just sent in the reasonable accommodation form.

Chatted to the heo yesterday, seems nice enough. Will be a nice job change.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

Ya finding mobility has slowed down big time. I went on mobility Feb 2021 and jumped 48 places by end of the year. Since January this year i've only gone up a handful.

• Advertisement

Has anyone had any experience of the ad based mobility system? Following an application do you have some sort of informal interview? I know in my Department they advertised one this way but filled it with an internal person in the end so I wonder how many of the advertisements actually lead to mobility in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

At what level? At AP level, it is a great scheme - putting the employee in control of what positions they want to go for, for a change.

Ya it is great to see the jobs and apply for what one you are interested in. I was just wondering if anyone had been through the process and successfully placed through it. I would be interested to hear about their experience.

Spent 3 years and finally got my move this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Has anyone found it moving recently at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rasher_Sausage

Be very interested to hear on this also, as I applied for a position last week. Haven't heard anything other than a thank you for the application.

Depending on the location and demand I would assume shortlisting will happen, and I would also assume interview would take place.

I was given the contact details of the manager in the department I was going to so I could have a chat about the job before I accepted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Nope, hasn't moved at all for me for EO since mid March, although it moved a lot last summer so hoping that it picks up again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Does anyone know is there any stats available on the scheme to see what grades have moved and locations, as from reading this thread lately it doesn't appear to have moved much in last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭part time punk

Yes, I was successful at AP mobility. Tried a few times for different roles, in different departments who all seem to do it different ways from an informal chat over WebEx to almost full on interview with A/Sec, PO and HR rep. That was where I was successful in the end, also I did prepare for it like an interview. Hope that helps, DM for details if you want

Advertisement