Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobiles in the workplace.

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭threetrees

I have a number of work apps on my phone eg bank access and website authorisations. I suppose my employer could make me lock my phone in a perspex box and buy me a work phone for such authorisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

threetrees wrote: »
    I have a number of work apps on my phone eg bank access and website authorisations. I suppose my employer could make me lock my phone in a perspex box and buy me a work phone for such authorisations.

Do you also drive a forklift at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

greenspurs wrote:
    They've been a long time problem here. Finally top level have taken steps to stamp it out.

Maybe try the microphones commonly found in prisons, might be a little uncomfortable if you use the same method of 'entery'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭threetrees

Do you also drive a forklift at work?

No, why? We do have fork drivers though....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

threetrees wrote: »
    No, why?

Op has posted that the mobile policy is being considered due to forklift drivers using phones while working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Update -

After all the bluster and meetings, and talk ...

Nothing happened, Not one mobile placed in the boxes/holders ....

Why do 'management' go all in ,and then row back ... . Weak.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

because once they've actually reviewed it properly they then probably realized it was a ridiculous idea in the first place.

We have one high up manager who decided that everyone with a work mobile had to pay the balance if the bill was higher than 50e a month about 10-15 years ago to save costs.

Getting close to the date it was then brought to his attention that his mobile was by far the highest bill and he'd be paying about 200 a month over the 50e. Needless to say it got quickly dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

In a Barber Shop last week. Three Barbers working & the three kept checking phone or taking calls with clients in the chair.

There was a time, not that long ago, when phones would have been left on silent in the staff room and client got the 100% attention they are paying for.

Time & a place for everything

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is certainly a case for banning them in certain environments, for example financial institutions and anywhere else that people handle sensitive data. All phones these days have cameras and it is easy to graph a snap of confidential data.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

They were banned on the gym floor of Total Fitness in the late 90s when cameras came out first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

A number of reasons, one of which is many mangers want to be liked and coming the heavy makes for unpopular managers.

There is often a sound reason for banning mobiles from the workplace despite the protestations from some posters who have massive separation anxiety issues.

But unless the rule is implemented by all from the very start it's often pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I worked in a place once where they were blocked, supervisors phones worked anyone else had to clock out, there'd been a lot of accidents (blades, hot surfaces,forklifts)and claims down to people being on their phones ,so lots of cameras installed and phones blocked.

Advertisement