Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobiles in the workplace.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Antares35 wrote: »
    Nobody is talking about legislating what are you on about?

OK. You can't expect that. You can't.

We disagree. If you ever happen to be in charge of staff in a busy warehouse tell them they can keep their phone, but shouldn't use it unless it is emergency and tell as how it went.

You tell people to keep their phones in the locker - they will keep in their pocket. Some will use anyway on the floor.

You tell people they can keep their phones in their pockets, but shouldnt use it unless at break - they will use it a lot more than emergency call. You will see people showing videos to each other while working.

You don't tell people anything at all about the phones - everyone on their phones whenever they find a time. And they will find a time.

You want to argue with the above? Go ahead.
    This is what is happening.

Employees don't want to have access to their phone for emergencies.
    They want it for entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Oh

Stop telling other people how to respond because they don’t have to care about something that you hold dear, simple.

What is it that I hold dear? (This is
    not me arguing with you, genuine question)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

C3PO wrote: »
    I can’t imagine working in a company where I would hand in my phone at the start of the day! I’m genuinely wondering whether the OP is making it up?

The OP didn’t say anything about employees being obligated to hand their phones up at the start of the day? From what I understand, employees can choose to avail of the lockers being provided by their employer, but they don’t have a choice as regards using their phone on the floor.

There are plenty of employers like that, granted what’s unusual in this case is that it took the employer as long as it has done to implement the policy. It’s obviously not the same as working in an office where phone use for personal calls is permitted within reason, not too much chance of being run over by a forklift or being clocked by a loose pallet, etc in an office environment, though still plenty of potential for slacking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

mfceiling wrote: »
    Worked on a huge construction project a few years ago. No phones allowed on site. There were designated phone areas to take and make calls on each floor. It was a bit of a balls tbh....12 lads inside a painted square talking in their phones and the world listening in as it was in a very busy corridor.

We were working out measurements on the phone calculator one day and a site foreman nearly had a meltdown when he saw the phone out....me typing in the numbers and my boss calling out figures. He got told to politely fcuk off and mind his own business.

A very good example, I was in a similar circumstances, all be it a different industry...

I’d tell em... “ ok, I was using initiative and using my calculator on my phone, but you are right, I won’t any longer, now where are the company calculators ? “

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

wonski wrote: »

You don't tell people anything at all about the phones - everyone on their phones whenever they find a time. And they will find a time.

You want to argue with the above? Go ahead.
    This is what is happening.

Everyone? Everyone on their phone whenever they have time? And everyone has the time?? Amazing. Where do you source your information?

Where is it happening? It doesn't happen where I work.

• Advertisement

I can’t imagine working in a company where I would hand in my phone at the start of the day! I’m genuinely wondering whether the OP is making it up?

It happens. I worked in a telecoms company and we had to leave our phones at reception.

It wasn't so we couldn't use them though, it was a sensitive facility so they didn't want the likes of phones around the equipment. Back then anyway, dunno now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Shelflife wrote: »
    Theres a difference between locking their phone away and letting them put it in their lockers.

We dont allow mobiles at work, they can put them in their lockers or leave them in their car.

If someone needs to get in touch with them in an emergency they can ring the shop number.

On one occasion I was asked if an employee could keep their phone on them as their parent was having an operation and of course we allowed that.

Oh how authoritarian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

A child running a temperature is an emergency, children can deteriorate very quickly.

What utter nonsense.

When I was in school my parents were at work which at times could have been in multiple locations or on the road so most days nobody was contactable until we all got home.

And yet I live and breathe today...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

What utter nonsense.

When I was in school my parents were at work which at times could have been in multiple locations or on the road so most days nobody was contactable until we all got home.

Well that's wonderful for you.

You'd wonder why temple street ,crumlin and tallaght hospital have any patients at all if no children get sick ever.

I've seen children go from running around happily to being limp and turning blue in the space of a half an hour. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Or maybe you live your life in a little bubble where only your experiences are true experiences.

What utter nonsense.

Jesus these anecdotes are short but pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

You'd wonder why temple street ,crumlin and tallaght hospital have any patients at all if no children get sick ever.

I've seen children go from running around happily to being limp and turning blue in the space of a half an hour. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Or maybe you live your life in a little bubble where only your experiences are true experiences.

Listen princess what you're describing is extreme

The reality is if people need to be contacted in an emergency in workplace they will be without their mobile on them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The fear of what extreme events could happen must be paralysing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is not much point in putting in elaborate procedures to protect your private data, if we then allow people to take photos of it so they can post it on the internet....

For instance banks have:
    - Procedures in place to stop staff from going on fishing trips into their neighbor's/family's accounts
    - Procedures to ensure that only people dealing directly with your affairs can access your data
    - Procedures to prevent staff from copying or printing your data at random
    - Audit procedures that track every single time your files are accessed

- and so on.

All pretty useless if we then allow staff to take snap shorts of screens of data to their hearts content.

Mobile phones are not just phones these days - they photo, scan, record and store data.

I worked in Swiss banking for 30 years and we were never allowed to bring any type of electronic device into the workplace. You either left them in the lockers provided or handed them over to the security guards on entering the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

greenspurs wrote: »
    Most workplaces are/should be like that now?

people are so addicted to the bloody phones.... Zombies...

I work in a company where I'm treated like an adult, so no, my workplace isn't like that.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    There is not much point in putting in elaborate procedures to protect your private data, if we then allow people to take photos of it so they can post it on the internet....

For instance banks have:
    - Procedures in place to stop staff from going on fishing trips into their neighbor's/family's accounts
    - Procedures to ensure that only people dealing directly with your affairs can access your data
    - Procedures to prevent staff from copying or printing your data at random
    - Audit procedures that track every single time your files are accessed

- and so on.

All pretty useless if we then allow staff to take snap shorts of screens of data to their hearts content.

Mobile phones are not just phones these days - they photo, scan, record and store data.

I worked in Swiss banking for 30 years and we were never allowed to bring any type of electronic device into the workplace. You either left them in the lockers provided or handed them over to the security guards on entering the building.

And yet most of the world is now working from home with all of this sensitive data. Should we lock our phones away while working at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Op, it sounds like a terrible place to work in. Probably lots of new Irish on zero hours contracts too.

McCrack wrote: »
    Listen princess what you're describing is extreme

The reality is if people need to be contacted in an emergency in workplace they will be without their mobile on them

Listen McCrack what I'm describing is what I have lived through.

I'm 100% average, so if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone.

I've said this multiple times in the thread, I don't have a problem with a no mobile rule. If you knew that's what you were getting into.

I do have a problem with my personal property being taken off me by management because they can't manage a few problem people successfully.

I wouldn't like calls going through a receptionist as in my experience they are the biggest gossips going.

Dav010 wrote: »
    The fear of what extreme events could happen must be paralysing.

Sometimes I wonder who my parents managed to survive the trauma of not knowing what we were up to....

Typically in the summer, we'd get up, have breakfast and then head out for the day... to return at about 10:00pm! Someone one would feed you during the day - a friends parents, an aunt or uncle etc...

During school, we'd often skip the school bus as we were on the late run and it took the long way home. Hitching was the usual way to get home early and I can't remember once being told this might be an issue.

Really, parents were very irresponsible in the past :):):)

Sometimes I wonder who my parents managed to survive the trauma of not knowing what we were up to....

Typically in the summer, we'd get up, have breakfast and then head out for the day... to return at about 10:00pm! Someone one would feed you during the day - a friends parents, an aunt or uncle etc...

During school, we'd often skip the school bus as we were on the late run and it took the long way home. Hitching was the usual way to get home early and I can't remember once being told this might be an issue.

You did all that as a 1 or 2 year old , fair play to you.

Listen McCrack what I'm describing is what I have lived through.

I'm 100% average, so if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone.

I've said this multiple times in the thread, I don't have a problem with a no mobile rule. If you knew that's what you were getting into.

I do have a problem with my personal property being taken off me by management because they can't manage a few problem people successfully.

I wouldn't like calls going through a receptionist as in my experience they are the biggest gossips going.

Policies applied to all generally become necessary because of the actions of a few. Introducing those policies is the way employers manage them. I would suspect that most employment contracts now have policies relating to mobile phone use, if they are ignored and the circumstances warrant it, the management have to introduce new policy. In the op’s case, it’s hard to argue that forklift drivers/heavy machinery operators do not fit those circumstances.

• Advertisement

And yet most of the world is now working from home with all of this sensitive data. Should we lock our phones away while working at home.

For us, sensitive data is even more restricted when working from home and is even geolocation sensitive. If you need to access sensitive data you must go to your nearest branch office, where there are isolation rooms for that purpose.

All of this was in place long before lockdown, because about 40% of the staff have been working from home a few days a week for years.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Policies applied to all generally become necessary because of the actions of a few. Introducing those policies is the way employers manage them.

It's now always deliberate though. There have been two cases in the US where bank employees were being interviewed on TV and in the background you could see another employee working with client data!

You did all that as a 1 or 2 year old , fair play to you.

Ah yes, now I understand your problem.... an inability to draw logical conclusions from the data provided!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Ah good old survivor bias. I suppose you're also one of those people who shares that post on Facebook about how none of us wore seatbelts in the 80s but we survived. :D

For us, sensitive data is even more restricted when working from home and is even geolocation sensitive. If you need to access sensitive data you must go to your nearest branch office, where there are isolation rooms for that purpose.

All of this was in place long before lockdown, because about 40% of the staff have been working from home a few days a week for years.

I guess the employees eyes have to be surgically removed before entering the isolation room. Typical.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

OhHiMark wrote: »
    I work in a company where I'm treated like an adult, so no, my workplace isn't like that.
    Act like a child on your phone the whole time, then expect to be treated like one.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Ah good old survivor bias. I suppose you're also one of those people who shares that post on Facebook about how none of us wore seatbelts in the 80s but we survived. :D

Survivor bias, for surviving childhood?

This thread really is something.

Ah yes, now I understand your problem.... an inability to draw logical conclusions from the data provided!

Well no, you quoted dav (who is a Dr), who had quoted me when it was clear I was talking about creche age child.

You then provided an anecdote from when you where a child.

Comparing a creche child to a school child who has a much stronger immune system and sturdier all round is like comparing apples and oranges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I dunno if it's been mentioned yet

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/2021/04/18/fedex-shooting-indianapolis-cell-phone-policy/7251674002/

It hopefully will never happen here but being without your phone for this is inhumane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

They did something like this in a place where i worked too.
    Lock box with a combination that everyone had to put their mobile in.
    It actually worked out for evening times too when you wanted to be uncontactable.
    Company would say next day. Tried to get a hold of you last night and you werent answering your phone.

Sorry, wife put a lock box in the hall. No mobile phones allowed in the house after working hours. :)

Advertisement