Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French author, 50, says he's incapable of loving a woman of 50

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Yup...and to add, as a poster has already pointed out on this thread, plenty of famous women opted for a man that was younger than themselves. This was conveniently ignored and I will probably get called out for talking "bull".

This thread has proven successfully that in today's world, men are chastised for making any remarks regarding a women's appearance or their preference thereof.

Again, how many times does it need to be pointed out that nobody has any issue with the preference of others or are you being deliberately obtuse? The issue is the women bashing that these threads descend into, the name calling of "Aul wans", "battleaxes", "prunes", "hideous", the tired, worn cliches of women either being career or family oriented, or crazy cat ladies if they're single. Go ahead and blame feminism when most of the toxic stuff is coming from some men. Luckily it's only a certain cohort of society and sane, rational thinking men don't share their views

This man has just acknowledged this exact same point in the post above yours. :)

However, the comments in the OP about women over 50 were made by a man who has written several prize-winning novels, has directed three films, and hosts a popular TV show. So he's not commenting from the perspective of the regular Joe.

I'm sure that award-winning writers, film directors, and TV presenters have younger women throwing themselves at them regularly -- but that's not the position of most 50-something men.

I didn't see your post when I had posted mine! I do think you're exaggerating the amount of hot 25 year old women who would throw themselves at Yann, now maybe I'm wrong and he's fighting off hot 25 year old women, more power to him if that's the case, but I seriously doubt it. He seems like a rent a gob from what I've read about him- to give a similar example, do you think Piers Morgan has women from that demographic throwing themselves at him? Again, it often takes a very charismatic or powerful type of guy to attract women from a demographic who have their pick of the bunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Yup...and to add, as a poster has already pointed out on this thread, plenty of famous women opted for a man that was younger than themselves. This was conveniently ignored and I will probably get called out for talking "bull".

This thread has proven successfully that in today's world, men are chastised for making any remarks regarding a women's appearance or their preference thereof.
    We aren't saying that at all though. You are lying and trolling like DS - or at best pretending what people are saying because that's how you'd like it. You would love it so much if women here said men are pigs for liking young women and that gold diggers are empowered. So much so that you made up it's happening, but it isn't. Give an example of women here chastising a man just for saying he fancies young women.

How about all the insults being thrown at women - you're ignoring those. No women here are saying it's a good or bad thing for men or women to be in relationships with much younger people - they're just discussing what the reactions to each would be.

I think you should do yourself some credit and stop lying. Or give that example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

The regular Joe's wife doesn't even fancy him, she gives him sex a few times a month if he is obedient and behaves himself. :D

And after 95% of his income has disappeared in the local supermarket and clothes shops.

If he's a good boy he'll get a few euro for the pub and will be nagged 30 hours a week as opposed to 50 hours a week.

Modern marriage thanks to feminism.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Trolling works best when it isn't painfully obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

I didn't see your post when I had posted mine! I do think you're exaggerating the amount of hot 25 year old women who would throw themselves at Yann, now maybe I'm wrong and he's fighting off hot 25 year old women, more power to him if that's the case, but I seriously doubt it. He seems like a rent a gob from what I've read about him- to give a similar example, do you think Piers Morgan has women from that demographic throwing themselves at him? Again, it often takes a very charismatic or powerful type of guy to attract women from a demographic who have their pick of the bunch

Well, I don't know all that much about Yann Moix, who seems to be known mostly in France -- but, as a rule, famous or wealthy men don't seem to have all that much trouble attracting attention from younger women. Michael Douglas married Catherine Zeta Jones when he was 56 and she 31. Bill Clinton had an affair with Monica Lewinsky when he was 49 and she 22. David Beckham was recently alleged to have had an affair with his daughter's early-20s teacher. Bruce Willis's wife is 23 years younger than him.

I'd note that a man doesn't need to sleep with a 20-something every other night to convince himself that he's attractive to younger women. Even occasional sex with younger women will convince him that he's still got what it takes. So it doesn't take dozens of women throwing themselves at him to create that impression.

I don't know that Piers Morgan has 20-somethings throwing themselves at him, but his second wife is still 10 years younger than he is.

Well, I don't know all that much about Yann Moix, who seems to be known mostly in France -- but, as a rule, famous or wealthy men don't seem to have all that much trouble attracting attention from younger women. Michael Douglas married Catherine Zeta Jones when he was 56 and she 31. Bill Clinton had an affair with Monica Lewinsky when he was 49 and she 22. David Beckham was recently alleged to have had an affair with his daughter's early-20s teacher. Bruce Willis's wife is 23 years younger than him.

I'd note that a man doesn't need to sleep with a 20-something every other night to convince himself that he's attractive to younger women. Even occasional sex with younger women will convince him that he's still got what it takes. So it doesn't take dozens of women throwing themselves at him to create that impression.

I don't know that Piers Morgan has 20-somethings throwing themselves at him, but his second wife is still 10 years younger than he is.

There really is little point drawing comparisons between a former and very charismatic president of the United States, Beckham (a conventionally attractive and fit man), Hollywood stars and Yann Moix. I agree with your general point about powerful men and it's the same point I'm making but I'm just saying in this instance I highly doubt Monsieur Moix has his pick of hot 25 year olds.

And 10 years is nothing, really. It's not half his age

Amy Schumer is a joke stealing hypocrite who loves taking advantage of the so called patriarchy (let's face it she's very rich and successful) while decrying men to appease her feminazi followers.

Just look up her joke thievery on Google.

Just did, and tbf, it's fairly conclusive. She really is shameless about the thievery too. Whatever about anything else, that's really lousy behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

There really is little point drawing comparisons between a former and very charismatic president of the United States, Beckham (a conventionally attractive and fit man), Hollywood stars and Yann Moix. I agree with your general point about powerful men and it's the same point I'm making but I'm just saying in this instance I highly doubt Monsieur Moix has his pick of hot 25 year olds.

I wouldn't say he has his pick of hot 25-year-olds -- but in a country of 67 million people, there are probably enough 25-year-olds who would be interested in an award-winning novelist and popular TV host to keep him busy, especially in a country where intellectualism has a lot of sex appeal. Even a tiny percentage of the 20-something female population still amounts to thousands of women.

Similarly, 45-year-old Ryan Tubridy is virtually unknown outside of Ireland, and is thus not comparable to Hollywood stars or US presidents. But if he was single and wanted a 20-something girlfriend, I have little doubt that he'd be able to find someone in that demographic who would date him.

I wouldn't say he has his pick of hot 25-year-olds -- but in a country of 67 million people, there are probably enough 25-year-olds who would be interested in an award-winning novelist and popular TV host to keep him busy, especially in a country where intellectualism has a lot of sex appeal. Even a tiny percentage of the 20-something female population still amounts to thousands of women.

you're probably right and much of the conversation here has focused on the number 25. The guy Moix was polarising 25 vs 50 to illustrate his point of the relative attractiveness of bodies.

it doesn't mean that he would only go for 25 year olds. He might well have a range up to 35!

he's just not into saggy arses I think is what he meant.

He also said that he mainly goes for Korean, Japanese and Chinese women - so maybe he doesn't really care what French women think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

glasso wrote: »
    you're probably right and much of the conversation here has focused on the number 25. The guy Moix was polarising 25 vs 50 to illustrate his point of the relative attractiveness of bodies.

it doesn't mean that he would only go for 25 year olds. He might well have a range up to 35!

Either way, does it not mean that he is basing attraction purely on the physical level.

There is more to it than that for many I'm sure. He is entitled to have an opinion but I suspect that if he bases his value on a relationship solely on the physical appearance and possible associated activity then he is probably missing out in the broader sense.

Either way, does it not mean that he is basing attraction purely on the physical level.

There is more to it than that for many I'm sure. He is entitled to have an opinion but I suspect that if he bases his value on a relationship solely on the physical appearance and possible associated activity then he is probably missing out in the broader sense.

It doesn't necessarily mean that either - that's one statement from him. It obviously means that he is not attracted to a 50-year-old but it doesn't mean that he's ONLY considering the physical attributes but that that factor is a no-compromise element for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Indeed. He said he couldn't love a woman of 50. Perhaps if we contract that sentence and place the full stop after the word 'love' we get a more accurate picture of the guy. He's no loss to older women.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Indeed. He said he couldn't love a woman of 50. Perhaps if we contract that sentence and place the full stop after the word 'love' we get a more accurate picture of the guy. He's no loss to older women.

well he's not after them is he so works for both parties.

Similarly, 45-year-old Ryan Tubridy is virtually unknown outside of Ireland, and is thus not comparable to Hollywood stars or US presidents. But if he was single and wanted a 20-something girlfriend, I have little doubt that he'd be able to find someone in that demographic who would date him.

Let's agree to disagree on the thousands of the 20-something female population wanting to get with Yann Moix! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Sardonicat wrote: »

well he's not after them is he so works for both parties.
    Precisely my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Wibbs wrote: »
    WTF is "post wall"? Jaysus I thought I was down with the kidz. Me, earlier.

steve-buscemi.png?w=500&h=294

:D

I have to say GC that's reading a bit bitter. Maybe things are different these days with Tinder and the like(they are), but when I was in my twenties I wasn't "treated by women more or less like a horrible smell/disease". The odd wankerette, but **** are everywhere and it was a rare enough occurrence. And I've a great face for radio and physique best suited to a Trocaire box. My only advantage was/is I'd talk to the wall, so wasn't shy(which is a major plus to be fair). I also can't recall any of my mates getting crap from women in the way you describe it. Getting blown off(not in a good way) the odd time at an oul dishco yeah, but otherwise not so much and those environments are pretty specific.

I can understand some young guys today feeling frustrated with things like Tinder. I read somewhere that something like three quarters of women members swipe right(?) on only a third of the guys. That would be a pain in the arse, but again a pretty specific environment. Maybe the "gender politics" stuff is more in play today? TBH other than the odd weirdo that stuff was rare to encounter In My Day™.

Now a couple of girlfriends have fcuked me over yeah, but others didn't and generally my experience of women in my life as mates, girlfriends, acquaintances and people I bump into has been in the vast majority of cases positive.

Don't tell me I'm bitter etc. I don't care. I know I'm terrible etc. Boo me.

Women treat younger lads in the same way that grown men treat women after a certain point.

If you can't see the delicious justice in many cases, when the table turns, then I can only assure you that it exists.

Its only nature. When a girl becomes a woman ok theres lots of changes, but often times one of those changes is huge social credit just for being.

You lot peddle away ferociously. I'll just take the 'hot chick bus'.

A lot of them swing that power round like they're gods gift, and for years.

Living on a soft of social steroid, going straight to the top scot free. (pussy pass is accepted in over 20 million establishments)

If you don't get some kind of satisfaction from seeing the final realization of the **** the rest of us have to go through - the 'wait, you mean this is normal' moment, then you also have never gleaned satisfaction from seeing one of the super-rich lose it all and get a McJob.

I know you wouldn't take satisfaction in that of course. Because that would be bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

But you are bitter, greencap. And seeing as you "don't care", why tell someone not to call you bitter?

"Women treat younger lads" etc. All women? Or could you be more specific as to which women?

I can see the justice in a really horrible woman being taken down a peg or two. But revelling in insults being thrown at ALL women for ageing... well that's obviously just misogyny.

Not all men had a bad time when younger either, and sure as sh1t not all women had a good time (see Emme's post). Not every man shares this toxic outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

greencap wrote: »

Women treat younger lads in the same way that grown men treat women after a certain point.

If you can't see the delicious justice in many cases, when the table turns, then I can only assure you that it exists.

Its only nature. When a girl becomes a woman ok theres lots of changes, but often times one of those changes is huge social credit just for being.

Living on a soft of social steroid, going straight to the top scot free. (pussy pass is accepted in over 20 million establishments)

If you don't get some kind of satisfaction from seeing the final realization of the **** the rest of us have to go through - the 'wait, you mean this is normal' moment, then you also have never gleaned satisfaction from seeing one of the super-rich lose it all and get a McJob.

I know you wouldn't take satisfaction in that of course. Because that would be bitter.

You are conveniently assuming that all women got the free pass, they didn't,only the very attractive ones did. Plenty of women out there, average or less than average in looks who have been overlooked or even dismissed by men. Where do they factor into your argument?

The bang of bitterness of that post, it would be entertaining if it weren't so sad. Greencap has convinced himself everyone is miserable but him and his way of thinking is normal, but guess what, there's loads of people who are living happy lives and not consumed by bitterness. It's not just women he's bitter about though- rich, successful people also.

I really hope you can get the help you need, Greencap. Must be an exhausting way to live

• Advertisement

"A woman was mean to me once and now I want to watch all women suffer for it!"

"I'm not bitter".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Ah look, Greencap. Nearly everyone has romantic disappointments in their youth and it can often be a cruel scene. Ann is madly into Barry but Barry has no interest whatsoever in Ann as he's too busy running after Maria. Meanwhile Maria has the hots for Dave who only has eyes for Ann even though she can't bear him. It's the way of life. But then one day any one of the above (representing the general population) click with the one and all the past is forgotten. It's a bit extreme to want randomers from the past to suffer some kind of humiliation before you can feel good about yourself. It's giving them way too much power over you.

But you are bitter, greencap. And seeing as you "don't care", why tell someone not to call you bitter?

"Women treat younger lads" etc. All women? Or could you be more specific as to which women?

I can see the justice in a really horrible woman being taken down a peg or two. But revelling in insults being thrown at ALL women for ageing... well that's obviously just misogyny.

Not all men had a bad time when younger either, and sure as sh1t not all women had a good time (see Emme's post). Not every man shares this toxic outlook.

OK I am bitter.
    The reason I asked not to call me that, was because I wanted to get past the bit where its all about the various terrible things that I am.
    could you be more specific as to which women?

Just women in general.
    But revelling in insults being thrown at ALL women for ageing
    I don't.
    Not all men had a bad time when younger either
    Young lads in general are treated like dirt by attractive women.
    Attractive women see the vast majority of young men as being of little value to them. And they aren't. (Incidentally, how do we treat things of little value?)

Which is why you practically never see young Sean Og leaving his PLC course to go on a date with a 25 year old high value female professional.

No, 99.9% of the time she'll be going out with someone a few years older who earns a lot more than both her and young Sean at his entry level job (which incidentally, isn't enough to support a family and household).

The other 0.1 percent of the time it will be a lucky kid who's a genetic freak and so has signed for a professional sports team.
    Or maybe the son of a multi-millionaire.
    not all women had a good time
    never suggested they did.
    Not every man shares this toxic outlook
    I don't really care.

Daisy78 wrote: »
    You are conveniently assuming that all women got the free pass, they didn't,only the very attractive ones did. Plenty of women out there, average or less than average in looks who have been overlooked or even dismissed by men. Where do they factor into your argument?

Show where I said ALL women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Show where I said ALL women.

Correct, from your post above you only seem to be interested in the attractive “high value” women. Sean doesn’t get much sympathy from me if all he is focusing on is exceptional women (or what he considers to be exceptional anyway). What about ordinary Josephine Soap who might be doing that PLC course along with him, or is she too lowbrow for his tastes?!!

Correct, from your post above you only seem to be interested in the attractive “high value” women. Sean doesn’t get much sympathy from me if all he is focusing on is exceptional women (or what he considers to be exceptional anyway). What about ordinary Josephine Soap who might be doing that PLC course along with him, or is she too lowbrow for his tastes?!!

Is bitter and angry about women having preferences but it's fine for him to have preferences....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

She's probably in the same bracket as Joe soap the McDonald's employee. Cause Joe would have women falling over him over his Big Mac making skills.

People honestly do not live in the real world here it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Men don't care about what a woman's education or job is. Her job could be sweeping the floors in Burger King and I wouldn't care less.

I'm sure Josephine is fine for him.
    And I'm sure both Sean Og, and Josephine will ask each other out.

But it doesn't really end there does it now.

Theres more.

A lot of fully grown and physically attractive men possibly will have no problem whatsoever dating young Josephine.

Normally zero fully grown and physically attractive women will have no problem whatsoever dating young Sean Og.

This is because young Josephine has something that fully grown men instinctively value.

Sean however has nothing which fully grown women instinctively value.

And so, anecdotes and rare exceptions aside, Josephine will be treated like a valued friend.

And Sean will be treated like a sales caller at your door. Initially.

If he can make it to a point some years from now, where he's capable of supporting a family, then he will have something to offer. Until then he's not valued. And as such treated, within the realm of romance, as a thing of no value most of the time.

Josephine will have the reverse course. In general.
    Rocket to high value, slowly descent.

Sean will meet her as they cross trajectories.

Should Josephine have a 'what the ****' look on her face at the time, then honestly how could Sean not chuckle just a little. Out of bitterness of course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If they're a "hot chick" GC. Yep, that can happen. I've known a couple. Not that many TBH. Even among those who were objectively "hot". TBH I can recall just as many back end of a bus young women that the tide wouldn't take out who were just as much a pain in the arse. Maybe it's a social circle thing? It seems to be a generational thing anyway? :confused:

If they're not a "hot chick" then how does that apply? That's most women. Plus you have the cohort of ordinary everyday guys who seem to expect that they'll have the same access and success with the "hot chicks" as Mr Clint O'Hara, rugby captain with the connected rich daddy, whose ma was a runner up in the local heats of the Rose of Tralee in the 80's or whatever. They won't. It is what it is. I personally knew a "hot chick" who was dropped by a guy because he and his peers thought her too "common" for their set. Like I say it's not nice but it is what it is. Expectation seems to have risen alright. Media, online and off, is much more at play these days and the influence of the bullshite is stronger on men and women. When I was in my twenties our lives were much more "local" and realistic for the real want of a better word. Maybe that's the difference?

"Hot guys" also get way more action and attention than ordinary everyday guys at that age too. Online dating stats back this up. And there's many the woman who's been shagged by same and dropped for the next ride.

In the end - and countless studies over decades back this up - men and women overwhelmingly tend to end up with people who are equal in overall attractiveness. Men actually have an advantage here as in one aspect of attractiveness success(social/financial) they can earn extra points. Women are much more stuck with the physical cards they're dealt.

I don't think I would TBH. Not unless they were losing their cash to me. :D I'm not really the schadenfreude type. I always figured it could be me who loses everything and put myself in that place. There but for the grace of god sorta thing. I'm no saint or anything, it's just how I am.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement