Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira Elite QT Shower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭imp1

Busy topic this!!!
    Water stopped coming out of hose, mid shower, pump still running. Guessing impeller gone, I see the pump/motor available at about €115, is it worth fixing - it has been going great for about 3 years - so not expecting anything on warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

imp1 wrote: »
    Busy topic this!!!
    Water stopped coming out of hose, mid shower, pump still running. Guessing impeller gone, I see the pump/motor available at about €115, is it worth fixing - it has been going great for about 3 years - so not expecting anything on warranty.

You dont need to rely on warranty, you rely on the sale of goods act.
    Just give a shout to wherever you bought it and they need to offer a repair, replacement or refund, their choice which.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭Cordell

Even if the impeller is shot (how can that happen?!) the water would still trickle out of the hose. So it's probably something else, maybe the solenoid valve.

Cordell wrote: »
    Even if the impeller is shot (how can that happen?!) the water would still trickle out of the hose. So it's probably something else, maybe the solenoid valve.

Reckon I need to take the cover off - is it ever worth fixing these?
    Warranty long gone (assuming regular 1 year warranty)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

imp1 wrote:
    Busy topic this!!! Water stopped coming out of hose, mid shower, pump still running. Guessing impeller gone, I see the pump/motor available at about €115, is it worth fixing - it has been going great for about 3 years - so not expecting anything on warranty.

Solenoid is what I'd be looking at. Less than 20 euro
    goodlad wrote:
    You dont need to rely on warranty, you rely on the sale of goods act. Just give a shout to wherever you bought it and they need to offer a repair, replacement or refund, their choice which.

Easier said than done. Mira Elite Qt retails for around 230. Average lifespan is 10 years with oaps getting 20 years but family of 4 heavy users might average 6 years. Even winning the small claims court case you would get 115 at the very most (half of the new price). You also have to pay 30 or 50 euro to lodge the scc case. You will need to take time off work, sometimes two days off work.

It's a hollow victory winning the case but your expenses costing more than you might win.

• Advertisement

imp1 wrote:
    Reckon I need to take the cover off - is it ever worth fixing these? Warranty long gone (assuming regular 1 year warranty)

Two years warranty

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Solenoid is what I'd be looking at. Less than 20 euro

Easier said than done. Mira Elite Qt retails for around 230. Average lifespan is 10 years with oaps getting 20 years but family of 4 heavy users might average 6 years. Even winning the small claims court case you would get 115 at the very most (half of the new price). You also have to pay 30 or 50 euro to lodge the scc case. You will need to take time off work, sometimes two days off work.

It's a hollow victory winning the case but your expenses costing more than you might win.

4 heavy users for 3 years doesn't sound too bad, I suppose. It would be worth trying a solenoid then. As you say, €20 from the Shower Docs.
    If that doesn't work, I see some recommendations for alternatives here, the ease of replacing a Mira with a Mira was a big factor in choosing this model, do they have any better models out now?

4 heavy users for 3 years doesn't sound too bad, I suppose. It would be worth trying a solenoid then. As you say, €20 from the Shower Docs.
    If that doesn't work, I see some recommendations for alternatives here, the ease of replacing a Mira with a Mira was a big factor in choosing this model, do they have any better models out now?

https://www.dublinshowerrepair.com/product/mira-jump-mk2-solenoid-coil-only-1788-434/

Mira don't have a good Pumped electric shower on the market at the moment and no sign of them replacing this model. Triton T90sr is a great shower. A professional will replace your mira for the triton for under 350 supply and fit.

Cover off (yes the back is cracked- hadn't noticed before) but how do I get the old solenoid off - special tool or just pull, does the middle wee plastic bit pull out allowing the 'jaws' to open?

Cover off (yes the back is cracked- hadn't noticed before) but how do I get the old solenoid off - special tool or just pull, does the middle wee plastic bit pull out allowing the 'jaws' to open?

The Piece circled pushes back.

• Advertisement

Yep - pushed that back to release the cables, should the coil just pull off, seems pretty tight.

Yep - pushed that back to release the cables, should the coil just pull off, seems pretty tight.

Sounds like a blue movie! :pac:

I get a flat head screwdriver between the coil & valve& wiggle it that way

My BFI meter needs recalibrating, gave it a good yank and it came off in my hand - you know what I mean.
    Thanks Sleeper and boards, i'm away to spend the €400 I just saved, on beer and hookers.
    But judging by the amount of carbon inside the housing, I should probably just stick to a tin of cider!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

:pg
    My BFI meter needs recalibrating, gave it a good yank and it came off in my hand - you know what I mean.
    Thanks Sleeper and boards, i'm away to spend the €400 I just saved, on beer and hookers.
    But judging by the amount of carbon inside the housing, I should probably just stick to a tin of cider!

Strange one though as the pump was still running after water stopped in mid shower, post #122.

I thought so too - that is why I initially suspected the pump/impeller or some other mechanical failure, most electrical failures are on start up/shut down, rather than mid flow.
    A €20 fix is a great result though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Looking to replace my ancient Mira Elite 2 with a Triton model (based on all the info in this thread!)

Does anyone have any recommendations of someone who could install it for me in the Galway County area (Athenry)?

Does anyone have any recommendations of someone who could install it for me in the Galway County area (Athenry)?

I would call local electricians and ask for prices. If you can't find an electrician willing to work with water then ring plumbers. You should have a look at the fuse box. If your shower is very old you might have a 32 amp trip switch. You need a 40 amp RCBO instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Western Shower Services are sorting me out

€320 for Mira QT
    €340 for Triton (not sure which model)

Hoping the Triton can be installed!

I fitted my very last Mira Elite QT today!!!

I have hated fitting each & every one over the last Four years. Worst Shower EVER!

R.I.P. Mira Elite QT

We're starting on the Mira Elite SE next week. It can't be any worse than the Mira Elite QT... I hope....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Anyone any thoughts and experience on the new Mira SE? Curious to know if all the issues with the QT are now addressed?

• Advertisement

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Anyone any thoughts and experience on the new Mira SE? Curious to know if all the issues with the QT are now addressed?

I was looking forward to this shower after being told that they were Three years working on it. I was disappointed to see that it's the same shower with a new motor. It looks identical to the QT. Exact same casing except now it says Mira Elite SE rather than Mira Elite SE. Cover still doesn't fit correctly & it's still the same cheap plastic that becomes very brittle is a short period of time. Same cheap shower hose that bends & tears near the shower head. Same cheap shower head that you'll struggle to get onto the hose because it's cheaply made & the threads are bad. Exact same shower pole that cracks & breaks after a few months.You have all of the above & even worse still is you have to deal with The Shower Doctors (Mira's customer care in Ireland) when something does go wrong. Until they actually listen to the people installing this shower day in & day out I can't see them getting it right.

It's far too early to know if the motor is good or bad. They are charging an extra 10 euro or so for this "new" model. My advice is the Triton T90SR is still the best pumped electric shower on the market. The motor in the T90SR has a proven track record & is bulletproof. Changing from Mira to Triton isn't a big job for a professional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I was looking forward to this shower after being told that they were Three years working on it. I was disappointed to see that it's the same shower with a new motor. It looks identical to the QT. Exact same casing except now it says Mira Elite SE rather than Mira Elite SE. Cover still doesn't fit correctly & it's still the same cheap plastic that becomes very brittle is a short period of time. Same cheap shower hose that bends & tears near the shower head. Same cheap shower head that you'll struggle to get onto the hose because it's cheaply made & the threads are bad. Exact same shower pole that cracks & breaks after a few months.You have all of the above & even worse still is you have to deal with The Shower Doctors (Mira's customer care in Ireland) when something does go wrong. Until they actually listen to the people installing this shower day in & day out I can't see them getting it right.

It's far too early to know if the motor is good or bad. They are charging an extra 10 euro or so for this "new" model. My advice is the Triton T90SR is still the best pumped electric shower on the market. The motor in the T90SR has a proven track record & is bulletproof. Changing from Mira to Triton isn't a big job for a professional

Wow, that's very disappointing,you would have expected Mira to up their game giving the problems with the QT and many customers moving over to Triton. I hope the motor is at least up to scratch this time round if everything else looks the same...only time will tell I guess. Is the new motor quieter than the QT or sounds the same? The T90SR seems to be the quietest around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

A neighbour called me a few weeks ago re problem with his Mira QT, his header tank had run low due to mains being off all day. I was able to remove the filter which is accessible without removing the cover and just pused up the poppet valve with my finger until I got rid of air.
    My nose was at me so I removed the cover and was pleasantly surprised to see no signs of cracking etc but whoever had installed it had put washers and pieces of insertion rubber under the securing screws. The shower is installed for over 3 years I think and is in daily use @ 2 showers/day and has given no trouble.
    I didn,t think it was particularly quiet but then again I had nothing to compare it with, I will post when it does give any trouble, hopefully years down the road.

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Wow, that's very disappointing,you would have expected Mira to up their game giving the problems with the QT and many customers moving over to Triton. I hope the motor is at least up to scratch this time round if everything else looks the same...only time will tell I guess. Is the new motor quieter than the QT or sounds the same? The T90SR seems to be the quietest around.

The motor & power pack look like they could be made in the same factory as the Triton showers I think the Mira motor is slightly nosier than the Triton but it's a little unfair to say for sure unless I had Triton & Mira on the same wall. Different bathrooms have different acoustics. I think the inside of the Mira shower is good now. We sell a lot of solenoids & TCOs for this model but outside of this I'm happy with it. It's the poor design of the back casing, front cover, inlet cover, hose, pole & shower head that I have a problem with. I think they have gotten the inside of the shower working well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Need to replace the thermal switch in my shower. Rang around local and the closest they have is one for Mira Elite 2.
    Does anyone know if its comparable with QT?

Need to replace the thermal switch in my shower. Rang around local and the closest they have is one for Mira Elite 2.
    Does anyone know if its comparable with QT?

Mira Elite QT TCO

https://www.dublinshowerrepair.com/product/mira-elite-qt-tco/

Thanks. I'm based in Galway though. Hoping to get the job done today.

Thanks. I'm based in Galway though. Hoping to get the job done today.

It's not a part that regular plumbing suppliers will stock. Chadwicks, heat merchants etc will need to order the part in & mira will post it out from Dublin Monday or Tuesday. The only chance you have (imo) of getting it done today is to engage a local shower repair company to repair the shower, if there is such a company.

Sorry I can't be more helpful

It's not a part that regular plumbing suppliers will stock. Chadwicks, heat merchants etc will need to order the part in & mira will post it out from Dublin Monday or Tuesday. The only chance you have (imo) of getting it done today is to engage a local shower repair company to repair the shower, if there is such a company.

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Ya, I rang around the locals and they all stock the switch for the ST model but weren't sure if they were compatable with mine.
    I've ordered online so just have to wait it out.
    Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Hi all, I've had this shower fitted about 18 months ago with no issues. Until yesterday... cold water is trickling out of the filter thing when in use, it's not loose or damaged, any suggestions what might be causing this?

Advertisement