Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira Elite QT Shower

Options
  • 08-04-2016 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi.
    It is my first post here so be gentle please. :)

I own a fair bit of rental property around Dublin. I have a good team of tradesmen around me that I have been using for years. I'm always looking at ways to improve the quality of my units without costing an arm and a leg. My plumber suggested replacing old and broken Triton T90 showers with the new Mira Elite QT. The claim of 75% quieter sounded great so from September to date we've been slowly changing the showers.

Long story short I now have 27 Mira Elite QT showers installed and I have had nothing but trouble with most of them. Each shower sounds different to the next. Some do sound quiet but some seem very noisy. Some of the motors seem to pulse & change water temperature slightly. Mira have taken two away and fitted new ones. We've even had leaking shower hoses. The Mira service guy doesn't seem to know much about them. He told me it would be sent back to the UK for testing. In fact the Mira office here in Ireland weren't easy to deal with either.

I've been a Triton man for years though sometimes I'd buy property with mira but I've never had this sort of trouble. Ive done a boards search but nothing is showing up.

Am I the unluckiest landlord in Ireland or has anyone else had problems with these showers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Mira seem to have rushed this shower without testing it long enough but I will say it has the makings of being a good shower once they iron out the kinks.
    The plastic casing is either too flexible or not flexible enough. It looks fine on a perfectly flat wall but if the wall or tiles are even slightly out the cover wont fit properly. This is unsightly & embarrassing from an installers point of view to have to leave it like this. The hose needs to change. I've had a lot of clients asking me to put the old hose on instead.
    On the inside a pulsating or noisy pump is the most common complaint we get.
    I like the filter on the outside & the ones that I have been quiet have brought a smile to my face. When they work they work well.
    It'll be interesting to see how the QT compares to the other quiet showers coming on the market that haven't rushed the testing period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Gator88

Thanks for the replies and the link. It looks like the Mira Elite Qt should be recalled judging by all the problems. It's all well and good saying they will repair or replace the shower if it causes trouble but its not good enough to leave people days without a shower when the manufacturer knows its likely to fail. It's not good business. I will be writing Mira a stern letter.

Ive just had yet another complaint about a Mira Elite QT that I fitted only 2 weeks ago. This one works fine for about 5 minutes & then without warning goes scalding, then freezing. Without looking at it I would guess that its the motor pulsing. Obviously if the motor slows down then the water flow slows down. This allows the water to get dangerously hot. At this stage the TCO kicks in kills power to the elements. Water goes cold & then it resets & the hot cold cycle starts again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Gator88

I thought I'd update here. 2 More Mira Elite QT stopped working. Thats 4 dead ducks out of 27.

A month on and my letters to the shower doctors in Dublin and Mira UK have gone unanswered. It is very annoying to deal with the Shower Doctors by phone. They try to make me out to be the fool. They repeat every time that I'm the only one having problems and they have had no other complaints even though I've read plenty here on boards and my plumber is saying talking to other lads at the trade counters that there are plenty of problems popping up with this shower.

I've come to an agreement with my plumber. He is going to remove all the Mira Elite QT showers and replace them with something more reliable. I pride myself on having quality rental property. I get good money in rent and any repairs are seen to within 24 hours. When I buy a shower for a rental property I hope to get 10 years trouble free from it but I secretly expect 5 years. I feel ripped off buying these showers only to have them break after a few weeks.

I don't know what my plumber plans to do with these showers but if anyone sees almost new Mira Elite showers on DoneDeal or Adverts I suggest you steer clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Hi,

I have the older version, Mira Elite ST, which has become very noisy. Have descaled the filter and shower head, but no change.

Was thinking of the QT, but, thanks to your feedback, decided to hold off for a while.

Issue is that it is a tiled wall and need a new shower with a similar footprint.

Let me know which shower you go for.

Thanks.

paulgalway wrote:
    Let me know which shower you go for.

Triton t900pi

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭countryjimbo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Triton t900pi
    Hi Sleeper12,

6 months on, have you seen any improvement in the Mira Elite QT?
    Would the Triton t900pi still be your recommended alternative?

Thanks,
    Jim.

Hi Sleeper12,

6 months on, have you seen any improvement in the Mira Elite QT?
    Would the Triton t900pi still be your recommended alternative?

Thanks,
    Jim.

We are still getting complaints about the Mira Elite QT but they have dropped from 25% to about 10%. I have taken some QTs out after only a few months & replaced them with the Triton T90SR.

If it were me I'd try fit a Triton T90SR. Its a genuinely silent shower. Little more than a hum from it. If the Triton T90sr wont fit (its landscaped rather than portrait shaped) your choice is Triton T900pi or Mira Elite QT. The T900PI is a better shower & should last longer than the Mira. The Mira Elite QT is quieter than the Triton T900PI.
    YouTube Video below shower Triton T90SR & Mira Elite QT on the same wall in the same shower room. This will give you some idea of how quiet the T90SR really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭countryjimbo

Thanks for all the information, appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Got a Mira Elite(1994-2000) that's starting to make a racket think the pumps on its last legs and being as old as it is probably no point in servicing will just replace. Was wondering will the Elite QT fit into the same space/fittings as the older Elite?. Would there be much involved in swapping them?. Tiled bathroom wall.

This Mira Elite QT was installed only 3 months ago. Notice all the cracks in the casing in each photo. My advice is stay away from this shower.

In answer to your question, it's a direct replacement for your Mira Elite 2

This Mira Elite QT was installed only 3 months ago. Notice all the cracks in the casing in each photo. My advice is stay away from this shower.

In answer to your question, it's a direct replacement for your Mira Elite 2

Well that's not good. Any recs for a shower that will fit in the recessed tile of the old elite (I think mine is the one before the elite 2). This one. Only asking because I was hoping to just put it in myself although if there's too much faffing involved I'll get a lad in.

Joshua J wrote:
    Well that's not good. Any recs for a shower that will fit in the recessed tile of the old elite (I think mine is the one before the elite 2).

Not even the Mira elite Qt will fit in if your shower is tilled around. The mira elite Qt or the triton t900pi are a large enough footprint to cover the hole in the tiles. Both have water and power inlet on the lower left hand side

Not even the Mira elite Qt will fit in if your shower is tilled around. The mira elite Qt or the triton t900pi are a large enough footprint to cover the hole in the tiles. Both have water and power inlet on the lower left hand side
    Yeah tiled around. After your pictures I think I'll go with the Triton hopefully get it cheaper on black Friday. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 don3030

Hi there
    this makes for interesting reading. Installed a Mira elite qt about 6 months ago. It was a little noisy but thought nothing of it. Recently it became louder like a high pitched noise and made for an uncomfortable shower. Yesterday when I switched it on no water came out. did all checks but nothing. The noise is a lot less when switched on but no water.
    Any ideas from anyone would be much appreciated

don3030 wrote:
    Hi there this makes for interesting reading. Installed a Mira elite qt about 6 months ago. It was a little noisy but thought nothing of it. Recently it became louder like a high pitched noise and made for an uncomfortable shower. Yesterday when I switched it on no water came out. did all checks but nothing. The noise is a lot less when switched on but no water. Any ideas from anyone would be much appreciated

Ring the shower doctors. Ie
    They will repair it free of charge under the warranty. I bet they tell you that it's very unusual that these showers give very little trouble. :)

Looking on Amazon is there much difference between the T900pi and the T80si(pumped). Amazon don't sell the 900 but I'm hoping to get a cheap pumped on Black Friday.

Joshua J wrote:
    Looking on Amazon is there much difference between the T900pi and the T80si(pumped). Amazon don't sell the 900 but I'm hoping to get a cheap pumped on Black Friday.

For some very strange reason the t900pi is called a triton t80si pumped in the UK so they are the same shower with different names

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stephgle

Have been a Board User for years but only signed up today, as its time to contribute and payback for your years of help. In a nutshell, had a Mira Elite 2 for 14 years, great service and then heater packed in recently. Spent ages reviewing and weighing up between Mira ST and QT models and was going with your advice to stay away from the QT version. Couldn't find anyone stocking the ST so went ahead and took the risk. Who's sorry now. Installed less than 2 weeks and whilst in the middle of a shower the QT went up a pitch, the hot water immediately went cold and shortly afterwards stopping coming out at all. Turned off and checked filter, and that I still had a flow of water supplying it and all was fine. Straight onto supplier today and expecting to be told this is rare! Lessons learned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mutha

Fitted one start of September. Got a call last Thursday, it had stopped heating and sounded funny. Warranty called today and said the pump had jammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shakeymathuna

For some very strange reason the t900pi is called a triton t80si pumped in the UK so they are the same shower with different names

My shower,a Mira Elite 2, packed in yesterday and, due to the bad reports re it"s replacement, I'm looking at replacing it with Triton T900PI. When you say that it has the same footprint as the mira does that mean that there is no problems replacing it as regards electricals and plumbing?

I was quoted 292 euro for the Triton by a Cork supplier today.The T80si is available on Amazon for 207 euro.How sure are you that the T80si is one and the same as the T900pi.

Apologies for the longwinded question and thanks for your help.

I was quoted 292 euro for the Triton by a Cork supplier today.The T80si is available on Amazon for 207 euro.How sure are you that the T80si is one and the same as the T900pi.

I already answered this on another thread. I'm 100% sure that a triton t80si pumped is the same as a triton t900pi

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shakeymathuna

I already answered this on another thread. I'm 100% sure that a triton t80si pumped is the same as a triton t900pi

Sorry for that. I was working on the two threads at the same time and posted to the older one. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

Where could I go and look at the Triton T900PI here in Dublin, I have seen any yet?

cyndale wrote: »
    Where could I go and look at the Triton T900PI here in Dublin, I have seen any yet?

The Shower Center on the Malahide Road, Dublin 3. They open Saturday till around 1PM

That's great, thanks! Will give them a ring to see if they have it in stock.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gillamandango

I have just bought an Elite QT to replace my old one, main reason being the same footprint. I haven't installed it yet but happy I came across this thread. I assume it is not worth the hassle installing it and taking the gamble?

Also am I correct in thinking this is not a pumped shower https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triton-Alicante-Electric-Shower-Replacement/dp/B004UKJMFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480200069&sr=8-1&keywords=T80si
    Could someone more knowledgeable than me point out where in the description that it is not pumped, or is it simply the fact that is does not mention pumped anywhere? If so, then I assume this is the one I need https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/tmn/Triton-Showers-T80Si-Pumped-Electric-Shower-TRIT80SI8P/B0018RT1T0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E9SMCEAAJAA97BFXDWTY

Thanks and forgive my ignorance.

The only I saw said pumped electric shower. Argos are advertising it as that.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4818645

• Advertisement

You are using the UK argos site. Pumped electric showers are almost unheard of in the UK so if it doesn't say pumped then it's most likely not pumped.
    The triton t80si pumped in Amazon is very close to the same footprint as a mira elite.

You won't find a Pumped electric shower for under 200 euro so any very cheap ones will be mains fed & not pumped

Advertisement