Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira Elite QT Shower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

Mine just spontaneously cracked!!
    Middle of having a shower and see a gap and a bit missing. Was fine when i got in..

Good luck to me convincing mira this didnt get yanked somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

goodlad wrote:
    Good luck to me convincing mira this didnt get yanked somehow

I've seen dozens & dozens of these QTs crack like this. This doesn't happen with any other manufacturer but Miras are well known to crack and break. They will tell you that someone used the wrong size screws or screwed it in too tight but it's really down to cheap plastic drying out.

They don't supply back casings for their showers so they will try talk you into buying a new mira elite qt. Simplist solution is drill another hole in the back casing to pin it to the wall. Cheaper than buying a new shower

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Roughly 95 percent of the time we can swap a mira elite for a triton t90sr. The main obstacle is if the mira isn't tiled behind. As they have different footprint, no tiles behind the shower means a little tiling afterwards or stick with the mira elite qt or triton t900pi. If the shower is tiled behind then the electric supply & the water inlet are in the correct place for the triton t90sr

Yeah it's tiled in behind it alright so hopefully it will work.
    Looking to get this done, is the best way to go to buy the t90sr myself (€230 in woodies) and get someone out to install and hope it fits?
    Any recommendations for a fitter welcome here or by PM. Thanks

Yeah it's tiled in behind it alright so hopefully it will work. Looking to get this done, is the best way to go to buy the t90sr myself (€230 in woodies) and get someone out to install and hope it fits? Any recommendations for a fitter welcome here or by PM. Thanks

PM sent

Just an update. My installer done the right thing and he took the Piece of crap away and replaced it with a brand new Trition T90

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote:
    Just an update. My installer done the right thing and he took the Piece of crap away and replaced it with a brand new Trition T90

You should recommend him to all of your family and friends as he'll be doing this out of his own pocket. Mira won't replace this under warranty. Many would just walk away & tell you that your warranty is with Mira. They made it not him.

You have a superior shower now and super quiet

Yep i agree that many would behave that way but my installer has always had a great attitude and gone the extra mile to do a good job for me with all plumbing related jobs.

Incase anyone around Kildare needs a plumber i would defo recommend him.

MOD Snip. Recommendations by PM only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I've a Mira Elite ST whose pump is kaputt, I've thought about replacing the pump but would prefer a new quieter shower. A Mira QT sounds like just the Job.........

So, would anybody familiar with fitting these think I could get a T90sr in the same space my ST currently occupies (see pic)?

Nate

I've a Mira Elite ST whose pump is kaputt, I've thought about replacing the pump but would prefer a new quieter shower. A Mira QT sounds like just the Job.........

So, would anybody familiar with fitting these think I could get a T90sr in the same space my ST currently occupies (see pic)?

Nate

either That shower is very high or the shower pole is very low :eek:

Only way to know for sure is to take out the three screws holding the Mira to the wall & have a look behind it. If its tiled behind then the Triton T90SR will go in there nicely as the water & electric connections are in the same place on both showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

@Sleeper12, thanks for all your brilliant info in this thread.

I need to get a new shower to replace my Mira Elite, which is 15 years old. I have plenty of space all round the existing shower, and tiled behind.
    Will the Triton T90SR be compatible with my existing wiring?

• Advertisement

Your Mira Elite 2 is 9KW. The Triton T90SR is 9KW. You should be good to go

@Sleeper12, So I got the T90, and I have swapped it with my old Mira Elite2, no issues there.

When I went to commission it, I had it running for over two mins, but only a trickle of water has come through. I turned it off then as I didn’t want to burn out anything.

Water supply is on, power is on, no leaks anywhere. I will ring the Maynooth number in the morning, but am I missing anything obvious at this time?

Very unlikely to be the shower.

1. Make sure isolation valve is fully open.
    2. Open the little bleed screw to purge any air.
    3. Turn on the shower till you get a flow of water. It will only be a small flow
    4. Turn off isolation switch (pull cord) and move the commissioning pin beside the power pack.

You should now have a proper flow of water when you turn it on again.

My guess is that you didn't do 4. Move the pin either that or the position of the dial on the cover does not match where it should be on the shower. In other words with the lid off the bottom dial on the shower should be fully anti clockwise. When fitting the cover the bottom dial on the cover should be all the way anticlockwise

Edit: if there is an airlock, take shower head off, drop hose into the bath or shower & run shower with bottom dial all of the way anticlockwise.

Thanks Sleeper12, all seems to be working fine now. I guess I was expecting more of a flow of water through the hose.

Working fine now and so much quieter than the (albeit much older) Mira

ratracer wrote:
    Thanks Sleeper12, all seems to be working fine now. I guess I was expecting more of a flow of water through the hose.

If the water wasn't flowing correctly it won't activate a pressure switch and you will only have cold water. If you have warm water then most likely everything is good.

ratracer wrote:
    Working fine now and so much quieter than the (albeit much older) Mira

Happy days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

I have a problem with low pressure on an ensuite bathroom that is located on a third floor - would it be possible to put a twin head pump on the 25mm hot and cold pipes that are feeding this ensuite, or would a pump cause me problems with water pressures to the other bathrooms in the house - main and another ensuite that are at a lower level

Its always been a problem with this higher ensuite and I cant even fit an electric power shower as the head height is too low from the tank in the attic

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Paul

eskerman wrote:
    I have a problem with low pressure on an ensuite bathroom that is located on a third floor - would it be possible to put a twin head pump on the 25mm hot and cold pipes that are feeding this ensuite, or would a pump cause me problems with water pressures to the other bathrooms in the house - main and another ensuite that are at a lower level

If you can find the pipes then the pump will work. Sounds like you'll need a negative head pump though due to head hight. Negative head pumps are expensive

Are there any good Mira Elite QT stories out there?

Mira Elite QT is now Three & a half years on the Irish market & this thread is running for Three years. We are removing more Mira Elite QT showers ( all less that Three & a half years old) than we are installing. This isn't a good sign for the shower itself. I do work for a landlord in Dublin city. He renovated several properties with half a dozen apartments in each one. The builder installed Mira Elite QT showers in these apartments & we've removed almost half that were installed less than two years ago.

I see no sign of the quality improving. 10 percent fail out of the box. Either totally dead or sounding like a plane taking off. We deal with cracked casings & broken shower poles several times per week. Sometimes a working shower has to be replaced because the shower casing has cracked & broken. Mira don't sell spare casings.

So I ask, are there any happy Mira Elite QT owners out there???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

You definitely know of one happy customer who changed from the Triton, there was a very lively discussion on here about a year ago, I will post the link shortly, be interesting to see of the OP is still happy with his Mira QT.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106715464

John.G wrote: »
    You definitely know of one happy customer who changed from the Triton, there was a very lively discussion on here about a year ago, I will post the link shortly, be interesting to see of the OP is still happy with his Mira QT.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106715464

That was a strange thread. Possibly the only thread where we didn't solve the problem. Every test the OP carried out suggested that there was nothing wrong with the shower.

The only part of the shower that it could have been was the element. Personally I would have taken the 10 minutes to swap it out with a new element. I know all the readings said that it was doing what it was supposed to be doing but swapping it out would have proved once & for all that it was the power supply or that it was a faulty element. I still think about that thread. It's the one that got away. We never got to the bottom of it. I'm not joking when I say this but I would have bought that shower off Triton just to fully test it myself! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

My shower is tiled and I have had the Mira Elite ST twice. On both occasions the the top left screw bracket snapped. This shower was discontinued in 2016 I believe and replaced with Mira Elite QT.

The QT has slightly different dimensions but fits exactly into the screw holes that the ST before it did. I purchased the QT in February and tonight the same top left screw bracket snapped. It was NOT screwed in to tight. To say that I am disappointed in this shower is an understatement.

Thankfully it is registered so now I must go about the guarantee.

The only reason I went for the QT is that the bathroom is tiled and I did not want to go drilling additional holes in the tiles.

I would definitely not recommend Mira showers.

You will find that it's not covered by the warranty. It's cheap plastic. It cracks & breaks easily. Mira seem to do anything they can to get out of the warranty on this shower. I'm betting they either claim that you didn't use the screwed provided or if you did that you screwed it too tight. I'd be very surprised if they don't blame you or the installer

• Registered Users Posts: 5 OziHam

Just read lots of comments on the Mira shower. Daughter had a Mira Vigour fitted 7 months ago. Over the last few weeks I have noticed we needed less temperature setting , yet it was still hot enough. Today, with the temperature set at lowest, it was only hot water coming out. Would this be a cold filter or temperature control cartridges? Thanks

OziHam wrote:
    Just read lots of comments on the Mira shower. Daughter had a Mira Vigour fitted 7 months ago. Over the last few weeks I have noticed we needed less temperature setting , yet it was still hot enough. Today, with the temperature set at lowest, it was only hot water coming out. Would this be a cold filter or temperature control cartridges? Thanks

This model isn't a terrible model. Parts are very expensive and only a 12 months warranty but they don't usually give too much trouble.

Assuming that no one has partially closed the cold valve, I would turn off the power & hot and cold water and check the filter. If that's clear ring mira & get them to repair it under Warranty. They are strict on the 12 months warranty. If it's out of warranty you will pay €190 plus vat for a new cartridge plus €95 labour. Almost cheaper to get a new shower installed. If you bring them out & it's a blocked filter they will charge you €95 call out fee

How did you get on with the warranty? Did they good will gesture you or not cover it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭glog

I removed and cleaned the filter in my mira elite qt.
    I reinserted it, but no water comes out.
    The motor sounds like it comes on - I didn't want to leave it running 'dry' for any length of time.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Glog.

Air locked shower

You can get an airlock in your electric shower if the level of the water in the attic tank drops too low. This happens a lot in winter if Irish water need to reduce the water pressure due to leaks after a cold snap. This happen also in summer during a prolonged hot, dry spell. Again Irish Water may need to reduce water pressure at night to conserve water. Other causes could be a faulty ballcock on the attic tank not letting the tank fill fast enough or a leak an the water main.

Remove the shower head, it screws off.
    Let the shower hose hang straight down in the bath or shower.
    Turn the flow dial all the way anti clockwise. (usually the bottom dial)
    Turn the power selector to blue (usually the top dial)
    Turn on the shower. This usually clears an airlock within 30 seconds or so

Air locked shower

Remove the shower head, it screws off.
    Let the shower hose hang straight down in the bath or shower.
    Turn the flow dial all the way anti clockwise. (usually the bottom dial)
    Turn the power selector to blue (usually the top dial)
    Turn on the shower. This usually clears an airlock within 30 seconds or so

Thanks - I tried that but no good.
    On further investigation, when i remove the filter (user removable on this model), up inside where the filter fits there is a kind of valve on a spring.
    When i push this up, water flows. I presume its the water inlet from the tank.
    When i re-insert the filter, it appears to slot back up fine, but only a very small trickle comes out when i turn it on.
    So, it appears to be blocked or air locked after the filter.
    Or maybe the filter isnt engaging the spring valve correctly.
    It's weird, because the shower is in everyday use, i used it myself and cleaned the filter.
    I didn't check it it after re-installing the filter and then when the Mrs tried the shower 10 minutes later it had issues.:rolleyes:

The motor is undersized in this model and sometimes it is not strong enough to get the flow through the shower. You might have to remove the head, turn the shower on & syphon it

• Advertisement

The motor is undersized in this model and sometimes it is not strong enough to get the flow through the shower. You might have to remove the head, turn the shower on & syphon it

Got it working after.
    I let the inlet water flow for a while manually pressing the inlet spring valve.
    Re-inserted the filter.
    I started it, and sucked on the outlet hose and it burped and farted and away she went.

Thanks for the advice. Why do these things only ever happen on Bank Holiday weekends :confused::rolleyes:

Advertisement