Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

walshb wrote: »
    Tough ask for Eric. “Old” man now really, and still a very pitter patter amateur style..

And 130 lbs is his natural weight class at aged 36....he's about 5 feet 7/8.....

Boxed at 132 lbs ten years ago..........This is at 130 lbs, no? He's a decent sized SFW....has been above 130 lbs several times in his pro career.

Far too much is made of a couple lbs here and there....

Most lads are all same size really.....pissing around sweating the bollix off themselves to be a little lighter....

I know there are size differences in the lower weights, but that's usually the 122 lbs lads who step up to 130, for example....the 130 lads walking around at 140 n all...

Very surprised they are exposing Barret to this level of risk. They must think very highly of him.

This is a tough match-up for most boxers, Eric could pull off a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

kneejerk wrote: »
    Very surprised they are exposing Barret to this level of risk. They must think very highly of him.

This is a tough match-up for most boxers, Eric could pull off a shock.

By matching him with Donovan? Donovan has done nothing yet..

Barret has 20 + fights already..I am not seeing how this is a risky fight. Not saying Eric can’t win, but the risk could be there against plenty others..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Loma vs Lopez back on for October.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Butson

Loma v Lopez will be a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

By matching him with Donovan? Donovan has done nothing yet..

Barret has 20 + fights already..I am not seeing how this is a risky fight. Not saying Eric can’t win, but the risk could be there against plenty others..

Barrett has only fought Ronnie Clark (who beat him), Leon Woodstock (maybe around British level, perhaps only English title level) and Jordan McCrory, (proven to well off the standard at British title level), so he's not exactly faced a murderers row of opponents, he's largely untested.

Donovan has faced no one as a pro really, but has looked extremely good against the level of opposition he's fought.

Barrett's clearly got a lot of ability, he's looked good since coming back from that Clark defeat and definitely has potential.
    I suppose the main reason it seems risky, is Donovan has the potential to be very good in there, but there's no major reward for Barrett even if he wins well.

I think Barrett will have to prove himself to be above British title level to get the win tonight.
    How Donovan takes his body attack will be very interesting.....

• Advertisement

My point is that at 27/28 and 20+ fights into his career, how is Donovan some step up/risk? I mean, he’s 12/23 fights, and is 36 years old..

Barret should be beating the likes of Donavan, if Barret wants to press on..

This level of risk? You’d swear Donovan was some killer...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

My point is that at 27/28 and 20+ fights into his career, how is Donovan some step up/risk? I mean, he’s 12/23 fights, and is 36 years old..

Any got a time for this fight?

blade1 wrote: »
    Any got a time for this fight?

Looking at 21:00 for Donovan.....possibly earlier if fights are stopped

Looking at 21:00 for Donovan.....possibly earlier if fights are stopped
    Thanks, might catch it so.

Thanks, might catch it so.

You going for the draw?:p

• Advertisement

You going for the draw?:p

No, I'm going for a definite win for this one.
    Just don't know which fighter will win though :D

Barrett!

Where is the frampton fight being shown?
    Is it BBC have the rights?

No, I'm going for a definite win for this one.
    Just don't know which fighter will win though :D

Barrett!

Where is the frampton fight being shown?
    Is it BBC have the rights?

BT Sport 2.....which, yes.....I have.....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Barrett stepped up to the lower end of British title level when he fought Ronnie Clark two years ago, and Failed !.
    He's had 4 fights since, and 2 were against the Nicaraguan (who's lost nearly 30 fights in a row) Edwin Tellez.

Which leaves us with a win over Leon Woodstock and Jordan McCory, both of which are a lower standard than Clark. Now Barrett beat McCory very easily, however despite the lack of tough fights, I'm quite confident Donovan is at the least a higher standard than McCory, and gauging from how he's dealt with the limited opposition he's faced, I would say Donovan is probably the equivalent of British title level.

So no he's not some monster, and yes he is getting on, turned 35 last month to be pedantic. However there's the very real prospect that this could be Barrett's toughest test since Clark.
    If Barrett is the real deal and has genuinely improved the last 2 years he should win. If he's the potential World title fighter some believe, he should probably win well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

is donovan up next?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Sky are biased enough at the best of times but jesus it's like the Shannon Courtney show tonight. Even when shes getting clipped theyre acting like it didnt happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Nope

what time?

Blanco100 wrote: »
    what time?

If after this one probably 10 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is KT in for another tough one tonight or will she put some clear air between herself and Peerson.
    for the initial fight I thought it was close but from memory I think I had KT by 1. Definitely didn't lose it though.

Is KT in for another tough one tonight or will she put some clear air between herself and Peerson.
    for the initial fight I thought it was close but from memory I think I had KT by 1. Definitely didn't lose it though.

Best to copy this to the thread for tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Still classed as an 'upcoming fight' until it starts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Crawford v Brook talks underway according to Hearn. For an elite fighter Crawfords resume is awful, should be fighting much better opposition at this stage in his career.

Johner wrote: »
    Crawford v Brook talks underway according to Hearn. For an elite fighter Crawfords resume is awful, should be fighting much better opposition at this stage in his career.

Yep..

Still to fight anyone great..

We have Danny Garcia and Spence and Thurmam and Porter, and even an old Manny fighting each other...

And Crawford feasting on washed up has-beens like Khan and Brook..

Johner wrote: »

Brook wasted the prime of his career. Now spends his time calling out massive names rather than earning the right to fight them. Shawn Porter is a good fighter and it was a good win, but that was 6 years ago.

Brook wasted the prime of his career. Now spends his time calling out massive names rather than earning the right to fight them. Shawn Porter is a good fighter and it was a good win, but that was 6 years ago.

But Johner’s post was concerning Crawford’s opposition..

And your point actually bolsters his point..

But Johner’s post was concerning Crawford’s opposition..

And your point actually bolsters his point..

Yes I know - I wasnt arguing with him, just chiming in in the topic of Brook.

I think Crawfords a fantastic fighter, but his opposition has been shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Few decent fights on today.

Jeff Horn v Tim Tszyu about to start in a few mins.

Good card later on too with Lewis Crocker and Gary Cully in decent step up fights.

Serious performance by Tim Tszyu. Didn't lose a second of that fight.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Serious performance by Tim Tszyu. Didn't lose a second of that fight.

Yes. And Horn is an awkward strong sod!!!

• Advertisement

Another good performance by Gary Cully. Won that far wider than the scorecards suggested. Was dropped in the 5th but came back strong. Our best prospect in my opinion along with Paddy Donovan.

Advertisement