Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Big Ears wrote: »
    Correct, because Chocalatito was arguably the p4p best fighter in the World a few years ago. A faded Gonzalez is still an exceptionally good fighter.

It'd be the same as ripping a fighter because he was dominated by a past it Manny Pacquiao.
    Manny is well past his best, but he's still an elite level fighter. Same story with Gonzalez.

I agree with all that, Yafai is not great, that's my point!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I agree with all that, Yafai is not great, that's my point!

He's miles from the likes of Gonzalez, Estrada or Wangek.
    I just felt it was harsh to say he's not at World level.

He beat some solid fighters in Concepcion, Ishida and Carmona, and was lucky to get the decision vs Gonzalez.
    But those guys have all operated in and around World level.

Muranaka and Jimenez who are more regional level fighters were easily beaten. He's probably the lower end of World level being honest, but I think he fits into that category.

Big Ears wrote: »
    He's miles from the likes of Gonzalez, Estrada or Wangek.
    I just felt it was harsh to say he's not at World level.

He beat some solid fighters in Concepcion, Ishida and Carmona, and was lucky to get the decision vs Gonzalez.
    But those guys have all operated in and around World level.

Muranaka and Jimenez who are more regional level fighters were easily beaten. He's probably the lower end of World level being honest, but I think he fits into that category.

We are getting int semantics about what world level is.
    That's not my intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

AJ vs Pulev confirmed. 20th June. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Young Irish prospect Lee Reeves recorded his first loss the other night, he seemed like one to watch. 25 year old from Limerick that’s been fighting out of Canada the past year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Young Irish prospect Lee Reeves recorded his first loss the other night, he seemed like one to watch. 25 year old from Limerick that’s been fighting out of Canada the past year or so.

was a surprising one all right,he was saying himself it was meant to be a 6 round fight not 4 and he didnt have time to recover after the knockdown

he moved to Dom Ingle a while back as well

• Registered Users Posts: 54,630 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Nal wrote: »
    AJ vs Pulev confirmed. 20th June. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

AJ needs to then fight either Fury or Wilder, depending on the result of their 3rd fight.......could fight either one...

No real banter regarding Quigg-Carroll this week?

Quigg is definitely past it, but should he still have enough to be maybe too strong for Jono?

Tevin isn't a big hitter at all, and he hurt Jono several times in their fight, albeit later in the fight.....Quigg has quite decent pop on his shots, so Jono will need to be very carful here that Quigg doesn't get top him with heavy artillery early on.

It is by far Jono's toughest opponent bar Farmer....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

walshb wrote: »
    AJ needs to then fight either Fury or Wilder, depending on the result of their 3rd fight.......could fight either one...

You would hope that the promoters have the sense to make that yeah. Massive fight spring time 2021.

No real banter regarding Quigg-Carroll this week?

Quigg is definitely past it, but should he still have enough to be maybe too strong for Jono?

Tevin isn't a big hitter at all, and he hurt Jono several times in their fight, albeit later in the fight.....Quigg has quite decent pop on his shots, so Jono will need to be very carful here that Quigg doesn't get top him with heavy artillery early on.

It is by far Jono's toughest opponent bar Farmer....

It's an interesting fight, as you point out Quigg can crack and is definitely Carroll's toughest opponent after Farmer.
    On the flip side Carroll is physically strong at the weight and will set a ferocious pace.

I think Quigg will win it, I think Carroll will present him too many chances to counter and counter hard and that should see him through whether he gets the stoppage or had to settle for points.

It should be a very entertaining scrap though !

• Advertisement

I see Canelo 7-1 on v BJS and 4-1 on v Smith...

The Jono-Quigg head to head looked pretty intense today..

Quigg calling Jono an effing pr1ck; fair few expletives from Quigg..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭weemcd

The Jono-Quigg head to head looked pretty intense today..

Quigg calling Jono an effing pr1ck; fair few expletives from Quigg..

Never liked Quigg, always struck me as having extremely low intelligence. What's Jono's chances here? I'd love to see him get the win.

weemcd wrote: »
    Never liked Quigg, always struck me as having extremely low intelligence. What's Jono's chances here? I'd love to see him get the win.

A prepared and in-shape Quigg would have far too much for Jono.

But Quigg may well be past his best days...

If Jono can take the power, then he has a chance to be busy and busy to earn a points win...

Smart money on Quigg, though.

One thing I am hearing is Jono's setting a hard pace.....

That's all well and good, if the punches you are landing are doing some actual damage, and keeping the opponent honest. If you are not in any way hurting the opponent, then the pace can hurt you, too. All the effort, and you are not really denting the harder hitting opponent, and he is coming back hurting you...

Jono could really use the pace to target the body, as you don't need big power to wear someone down with well placed body shots.....It's a big ask, as who is to say that Quigg, himself won't be pushing the pace with harder shots...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭weemcd

A prepared and in-shape Quigg would have far too much for Jono.

But Quigg may well be past his best days...

If Jono can take the power, then he has a chance to be busy and busy to earn a points win...

Smart money on Quigg, though.

That's what I would have guessed, even though I haven't kept an eye on Quigg in a long time. I'd imagine this one should be entertaining?

weemcd wrote: »
    That's what I would have guessed, even though I haven't kept an eye on Quigg in a long time. I'd imagine this one should be entertaining?

I just edited...

Apparently Katie Taylor vs Amanda Serrano is set for the Whyte vs Povetkin undercard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Apparently Katie Taylor vs Amanda Serrano is set for the Whyte vs Povetkin undercard.

Jason Quigley being lined up for the card too provided Jack Cullen gets through his fight this weekend clean

No bookies betting on this one yet...

Serrano may come in here as a slight favorite...

Canelo vs Saunders May 2nd

Looks like this will finally be announed tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

May 2nd looking looking like the day to kick the wive out the house and get the lads in, what a day for boxing

3 separate cards on

Canelo
    Josh Taylor
    Whyte

Sky and Dillian Whyte can eff off on their PPV!

And hoping drugs cheat (yet to find anyone near elite, Saunders) gets his ass handed to him by Canelo....another drugs cheat!!!

Katie is a warm favorite at 3-1 on

Serrano is 2-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Unexpected loss for TJ today in Dubai. Maybe he was looking beyond his opponent which is understandable but dangerous. Hopefully he'll get a rematch here to put him back in contention.

Collins jr smashed in one round.

Stinker of a loss against a stinker of an opponent!!

Katie is a warm favorite at 3-1 on

Serrano is 2-1.

Makes sense, as good as Serrano is she made 115 lbs just over a year ago. That's a big difference in natural size between her and Taylor.

Looking like June 13 for Frampton-Herring for WBO 130 lbs belt. Belfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Is Conlans fight on Paddy’s day still likely to go ahead with everything else being cancelled?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Is Conlans fight on Paddy’s day still likely to go ahead with everything else being cancelled?

only 16 cases in Manhattan, dont think they're on full lockdown/cancellation yet

i hope not anyways as ive a ticket to it haha

Advertisement