Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Circle

Options
  • 15-09-2018 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I keep seeing the ad for this on channel 4. Does anyone what its about. I can't figure it out??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

On now at the moment.
    Anyone watching it?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

I watched the first few minutes and turned it off. Didnt like the look of it. Could be wrong but i think I will stick with big brother.

It's interesting so far as it's showing how fake people are on social media

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Oh! Interesting, maybe I should have given it longer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It was actually very enjoyable first episode. Decent premise and it only lasts 3 weeks, so not a long term commitment like Big Brother or Love Island.

• Advertisement

I hope more people start watching this. It's decent!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'm watching, think it's quite good so far. Freddie is annoying, felt a bit bad for Jennifer leaving so soon. Good to see it'd running for three weeks, I had assumed something like a week. No idea how it all works either, I assumed they'd be whittled down one by one, but there's another one coming into it tonight. We'll see I guess!

This genuinely is becoming one of my favourite Reality TV shows of all-time. 4 episodes down and I've loved every second of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,835 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hooked on this now... Its fascinating the people playing totally different people... That freddie is a tosser... Good to see he really unpopular in ratings though

gmisk wrote: »
    Hooked on this now... Its fascinating the people playing totally different people... That freddie is a tosser... Good to see he really unpopular in ratings though

Yeah, I really enjoy watching the Catfishers, even though I think Catfishing is horrible in the real world, it's sickenly entertaining to see it in this show and Alex/Kate is easily my favourite.

Freddie is a complete toolbag, but I actually find his bitchy commentary on the rest of them hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Started watching tonight. Two episodes down and i'm liking it.
    Freddie is annoying as hell as is sian.
    I like dan and "kate"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Best reality tv show this year.

That Double Block was a bloodbath. And what a Cliffhanger at the end! Can't wait for tomorrow (or I guess later today)!

I'm glad Sinead is gone as she didn't prepare well enough to play Christopher, plus she came across as a bit of a numpty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭crisco10

Sinead's problem was that she was so concerned about being "nice" and getting caught out, she forgot to give Christopher a personality. Which then meant she could never control the conversations and was being consistently put on the spot by the other people in the house.

Think Alex/kate have been off their game the past day or so, and has made a few faux pas'. Throwing Sian under the bus, and the cold "Ill have my back if you have mine" attitude hasn't gone down well at all.

Great show though (as reality tv goes), surprised there isn't more interest here.

PS: Freddie is incredibly irritating, but the show is better with him in it...

I'm a bit disappointed that it looks like Sinead doesn't get to meet someone on her way out, which I think is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

plot twist: genelles baby becomes an influencer and conspires to have genelle blocked.

Robsweezie wrote: »
    plot twist: genelles baby becomes an influencer and conspires to have genelle blocked.

Her baby is very cute :o

I really dislike Ryan.

Also, he sounds exactly like the comedian and Great British Bake Off Extra Slice host Jo Brand!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7m1AReh2EG3BCTP_cP-IC0U98JwNce7qOeVlQP-9nvcz_TN91KA

Yeah, can't say that Ryan is making a good impression - just based on his political leanings alone, I'm put off by him.

I like how blunt Genelle can be, wasn't mad about her in the first few episodes, but she's certainly grown on me.

Still absolutely love Alex/Kate and hope he manages to turn things around, because it's looking quite grim when the next ratings roll around. I'm glad that his face to face with Aiden went well, but I think he lost two valuable allies in Aiden and Sinead/Christopher.

For some reason I love Freddie and I really don't want him to leave any time soon. I also really like Sian, but wish she'd make amends with Kate/Alex... And most of the time I like Dan, especially when he's chatting with his good mate Fiji, but he occasionally says something that just makes him look like a tool.

As for newbies, Scottie and Hannah, it's a bit too early to have much of an opinion, but based on first impressions I'm not feeling particularly enthusiastic about either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

This show is awesome!! Freddie is a legend :)

I think I'm definitely on the Dan/Kate/Genelle team

I think I'm definitely on the Dan/Kate/Genelle team

I was always on the Dan-Kate team (Genelle not so much) but Freddie is hilarious and starting to warm to Sian this week.

Thought Dan over-reacted to Ryan and let himself down a bit there TBH

I was always on the Dan-Kate team (Genelle not so much) but Freddie is hilarious and starting to warm to Sian this week.

Thought Dan over-reacted to Ryan and let himself down a bit there TBH

I like Sian most of the time. She seems fairly nice.

Freddie is hilarious, and the show would be a lot worse off without him. But I reckon he is as two-faced outside of The Circle in real life as he is in the game.

I don't like Ryan. I do think the way Dan acted was way over the top though.

I'd definitely be on team Kate/Dan/Genelle as well, but I also love Freddie and Sian - don't want to see any of the Original 5 blocked... and even though I don't particularly like him, I'd rather Ryan stay in a bit longer over the two newbies. Hannah's not the worst and could potentially be an interesting character over the next few day, but Scottie adds nothing to the game. If I was an influencer, Scottie would be out of there for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It's interesting so far as it's showing how fake people are on social media

Was on in the house here and definitely not my normal cup of tea! Thought it was ridiculous first night and still is a lot of pretentious nonsense. BUT, as you watch it you soon see that it does indeed have all sorts of echoes with how people communicate these days, whether by txt, email or social media sites. The lack of face to face and the misunderstandings, hyperbole and that goes with it. Of course, everything is exaggerated and likely heavily edited to pick the juicy bits. But as a reality show, it has more relevance to modern life than some of the rubbish that's thrown up.

That Freddie chap is a real twat, definitely got issues. Will probably be kept for entertainment purposes. The Ryan chap is slimy, I'd say he's for the chop. The Sian one is quite disingenuous. I'd think the new people were added just to be provocative. The ones kicked out so far seemed reasonably sound.

How does it end, anyone know? When they get down to last 4 or so? Not sure if the whole thing is repeatable, the basic premise is OK but would wear thin after a while.

Who do you think will be the next influencers?

I think Sian & Dan.

The newbies would be safe so in danger would be Kate and Ryan.
    Think Kate could go :(

Who do you think will be the next influencers?

I think Sian & Dan.

The newbies would be safe so in danger would be Kate and Ryan.
    Think Kate could go :(

I actually don't think the newbies will have safety this time around. They'll have been in there over a day longer than either Christopher/Sinead or Ryan were before their first rating, so will have had time to make an impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

the cast was well chosen for the show, i dont think any of them are particularly likeable. they were picked for a reason, very sly and strategic, out for themselves. i suppose thats the point.

though genelle i have liked, very down to earth, but not how she threatened hannah off dan.

dan is quite straightforward and blunt, and probably will win, but didnt like his attitude toward christopher dismissing him as boring.

alex/kate is quite moody. freddie is freddie. sian is alright.

ryan was mortified when absolutely nobody backed him up on farage,and dan put him straight. big red face on him saying he didnt care about dan, fuming.

oddly enough i liked jennifer to begin with but she was first out, didnt have the neck to survive like the others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Robsweezie wrote: »
    the cast was well chosen for the show

I'm sure it's heavily edited but to what extent do you think it might be scripted? You'll have to forgive the cynic in me, but I haven't seen much convincing footage to suggest that it was filmed over weeks rather than a day or two? There's no real time daily public vote, no particular sense of changing weather or events outside. Sure, the people get up and go to bed but that doesn't take long to film a few variations. I suppose you have to suspend disbelief but I wouldn't be too surprised to find it is scripted and acted to a large extent!

Advertisement