Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

your not giving much away there, do you not want us to watch it? Documentary Heaven.com has loads maybe it's there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Hello

Sorry, id didn't want to ask, it was on Tg4 at one stage.

IT was an made by an Australian woman who wanted to document their relationship over the years.

Synopsis
    Father moving away from life of crime , daughter makes documentary on their past relationship. Father is looking after Dying Grandmother. (Father used to be conman)

I think she also was a musician,

I really didnt want to go into detail as its really obscure and ive only watched it once

thanks
    C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Lazairus wrote: »
    Hello

Sorry, id didn't want to ask, it was on Tg4 at one stage.

IT was an made by an Australian woman who wanted to document their relationship over the years.

Synopsis
    Father moving away from life of crime , daughter makes documentary on their past relationship. Father is looking after Dying Grandmother. (Father used to be conman)

I think she also was a musician,

I really didnt want to go into detail as its really obscure and ive only watched it once

thanks
    C

Might be worth your while emailing or tweeting TG4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,685 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

trying to remember an old black and white British based detective series (probably 40's era), something similar to the 1940's Sherlock Holmes, it would have been early evening fare back in the day on RTE or BBC2 maybe.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

silverharp wrote: »
    trying to remember an old black and white British based detective series (probably 40's era), something similar to the 1940's Sherlock Holmes, it would have been early evening fare back in the day on RTE or BBC2 maybe.

Charlie Chan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I wasn't expecting much luck by googling this but..

I found this wiki page of BBC programmes and searched for "194"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_programmes_broadcast_by_the_BBC

The candidate that jumps out was Telecrime (BBC 1938 – 1939 & 1946) but it says all the episodes were lost:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecrime
    A whodunit crime drama, Telecrime showed the viewer enough evidence to solve the crime themselves. Most episodes were written by Mileson Horton. All seventeen episodes are lost. Aired live, their preservation was technically difficult at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,685 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

breadbin wrote: »
    Charlie Chan?

Not Charlie Chan , though I see a lot them are up on Youtube, I might have a look at a couple of them.

I think I found it , one of the plot lines I remember was about a ghost train and gunrunning in Northern Ireland so it seems to be the Will Hay comedies.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

There was a U.S film that came out either this year or last year, its a drama end I also believe it has some dark humour about a cop (with a moustache) whose son dies.

It got really good reviews but I can't find it on various sites that have lists foe the best films of 2018/19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

siblers wrote: »
    There was a U.S film that came out either this year or last year, its a drama end I also believe it has some dark humour about a cop (with a moustache) whose son dies.

It got really good reviews but I can't find it on various sites that have lists foe the best films of 2018/19.

Thunder Road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

jh79 wrote: »
    Thunder Road?

Perfect, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Well done, jh79.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

silverharp wrote: »

Bulldog Drummond?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CatHerder

I seen a movie or tv show recently where women were using some sort of dating guide on men, The men realized this and started using the same guide unbeknownst to the women. What movie or show was this on?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There's an old film with Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin which had a very similar theme - she was using a dog training manual her mother had given her. It could be a remake of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

CatHerder wrote: »
    I seen a movie or tv show recently where women were using some sort of dating guide on men, The men realized this and started using the same guide unbeknownst to the women. What movie or show was this on?

Think like a man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Hey guys, trying to remember a movie I saw years ago, maybe 10 years, a group of young ones go to a cabin for the weekend, typical horror fair. Another guy shows up and holds them hostage or tries to kill one of them. Think he is related to one of those already there. Ring any bells?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Kolido wrote: »
    Hey guys, trying to remember a movie I saw years ago, maybe 10 years, a group of young ones go to a cabin for the weekend, typical horror fair. Another guy shows up and holds them hostage or tries to kill one of them. Think he is related to one of those already there. Ring any bells?

Cabin Fever?

Nope not that, I think it was something less mainstream than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Tucker & Dale Vs Evil

or

The Cabin In The Woods

Not those either, I've checked this list and it's none of these.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/ew.com/movies/18-best-cabin-woods-horror-movies/amp/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Maybe something from this list? In fairness, the cabin in the woods is a pretty well-established trope in a lot of horror movies. Do you remember any of the actors in it?

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls062654405/

Yeah I figured that, have searched google to no avail.

May not have been a cabin in the woods exactly, may have been just a secluded house. Cant remember anyone in it unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,560 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Right, this isn't a movie as such. It was a British episode of a horror show that used to be on in the 70's.

In the episode a rich professor, psychiatrist or author (or something) invites a load of dinner guests to his house. They are all students or fans of his. But they find out the he's been keeping people locked up in padded cells upstairs in his mansion. He has a servant that goes mad when a bell rings I think, like Pavlov's dogs or something.

Saw it years ago and it never left me.

But I cannot remember the TV show. It's not 'Hammer' anyway. Or 'Armchair Thriller'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Tony EH wrote: »
    Right, this isn't a movie as such. It was a British episode of a horror show that used to be on in the 70's.

In the episode a rich professor, psychiatrist or author (or something) invites a load of dinner guests to his house. They are all students or fans of his. But they find out the he's been keeping people locked up in padded cells upstairs in his mansion. He has a servant that goes mad when a bell rings I think, like Pavlov's dogs or something.

But I cannot remember the TV show. It's not 'Hammer' anyway. Or 'Armchair Thriller'.

Tales of the unexpected?

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Tales of the unexpected?

Nope. Checked that.

Nope. Checked that.

Hi Tony. Would it be a episode from Thriller? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0164295/

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

No, neither of them. Although that 'Dead of Night' show looked great. There's only a few episodes surviving off of that. All on YouTube.

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Tony. Would it be a episode from Thriller? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0164295/

I'll check. There must be an episode list somewhere.

I'll check. There must be an episode list somewhere.

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_(British_TV_series)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Though it doesn't accurately fit the description, 'Children Of The Stones' ?

(Excellent and creepy TV series from back then, if you've never seen it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSIpkxMkT0M )

MfMan wrote: »
    Though it doesn't accurately fit the description, 'Children Of The Stones' ?

(Excellent and creepy TV series from back then, if you've never seen it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSIpkxMkT0M )

Nope, it's not that. I know 'Children of the Stones' really well.

Worztron wrote: »

Cheers. Unfortunately that's just a episode list. There's no synopsis. However, 'Thriller' seems to be up on YouTube. So, I'll have a rifle though that and see if I can't recognise the think I'm looking for.

So I finally found this thing.

It's 'Thriller', S04E04 - A Killer in Every Corner. It has the great Patrick Magee in it, if you're old enough to remember who that is.

It's 'Thriller', S04E04 - A Killer in Every Corner. It has the great Patrick Magee in it, if you're old enough to remember who that is.

Well done on finding it.

Well, I wouldn't have if you hadn't told me what the name of the show was. :D

Well, I wouldn't have if you hadn't told me what the name of the show was. :D

True, you're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Brilliant....I was looking but didn't get that far into the episodes.

Thought this one was brilliant though.....bonus Liz Montgomery and Mr Bickley

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

^
    That's the wrong 'Thriller' :D . That's the older American one, with Boris Karloff. I've seen some of them on YouTube.

The one I was thinking of is a British TV show (repeated in the 80's) that was produced by Brian Clemens, who used to do 'The Persuaders', 'The New Avengers' and 'The Professionals'.

This is the episode I remembered as a kid. TBH, it isn't great, but it was just one of those things you see once and never forget for some reason.

• Advertisement

Irish movie set in Dublin. Teenagers. Groups.
    Use of smartphones. The main character is texted by phone to meet up with the rest of them in Henry Street. When she reaches there, she texts them to ask where the rest are. Oh they didn't actually go to town. She tries to take her life.

2011 thereabouts

Happened upon this movie by chance the other night. I'm oretty sure this is the one I was thinking of.

Truth or die

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1838722/?ref_=m_nv_sr_1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Use of smartphones. The main character is texted by phone to meet up with the rest of them in Henry Street. When she reaches there, she texts them to ask where the rest are. Oh they didn't actually go to town. She tries to take her life.

2011 thereabouts

Maybe this

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2092011/

Or

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1787054/

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

2011 thereabouts

Could it be 'I used to live here'?

spurious wrote: »

Bang on. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

I saw a type of horror/mystery movie over three decades ago that I think we had on video.

There was basically a big house where a son had been locked in the attic, may have been eating rats.

And then there were guests being hosted in that house and he was sabotaging the whole thing.

The scene I really remember is that a lady was in her room and going to wash from one of the old Victorian washing bowls with a big jug. When she splashed the water on her face it turned out to be acid and all her skin started melting off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

House of the Long Shadows? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085693/

House of the Long Shadows? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085693/

Judging by imdb I don't think so but I will try to watch to confirm :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

maybe this clip may help, I remember the acid scene as I had to look up Vitriol in the dictionary as that is what the water jug contents had been replaced with and I didn't know what that was back then

That's it! Brilliant, I had that in the back of my mind for years, thanks a million :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

For some strange reason I thought there was a recent film The Goonies 2?

wtf can I be thinking about? I saw a film in the last couple of years about kids that I would have sworn was the non existant The Goonies 2.

Is there something similar I could be thinking about?

• Advertisement
Advertisement