Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dramatic Battle NI '09

Options
  • 23-07-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

dbs.jpg

Dramatic Battle NI '09 is Northern Irelands qualifier for this years <Super Versus Battle>. Courtesy of <QUB Dragonslayers> and <Neo Empire>.

Date: Saturday 08/08/09
    QUBSU.jpg
    Times:
    • Casuals; run all day from 1200
    • BlazBlue (PS3); from 1300
    • Street Fighter IV (360); from 1530
    • Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (PS2); from 1800
    Entry Fee:
    • £1 for access to the casual zone
    • £2 per tournament
    Tournament Format: Group qualifiers into an 8 man single elimination
    Tournament Prizes: Winner takes all per game.
    • Cash prize pot (sum of the entry fees)
    • Group seeding at SVB '09
    • Free entry into SVB '09
    • Free tournament entry at SVB '09

- It is not required of participants of the event to attendent SVB '09.
    - All proceedings from the casual zone will be donated to a TBA charity.
    - Button binding is acceptable.
    - Participants are advised to bring a controller of choice.

Travel Information

Train Times
    dub-traintimes.jpg

From Belfast Central it would be best to get another train to Botanic Station. The train passing Botanic will be going to Great Victoria Street. Botanic Station is a 5 minute walk from the venue. Not sure about bus services from Central so check back! There are always taxis at the front door.

Bus Times
    dub-bustimes.jpg

From the Europa on Great Victoria Street it would be best just to walk to the venue. The QUB Students Union is a straight 10 minute walk from the Europa, see the QUB SU link at the top. All the 9a/b/c/ bus services will also take you up. Tell the driver "Queens" as your destination, it costs £1.60 I think. The building pictured above will be on your right facing the main Queens building.

Both websites didnt give anything away when it came to price unfortunately. Timetables pinched from Irish Rail and Translink. Cheers to VDeck and Blag for the suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Neat, i'll see if I can get my game up to scratch for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

You would we welcome up here chap. Let me know what your plans are closer the time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 VDecK

Hope to see a load of you guys coming up, alot of you seemed intrested in blazblue so it would be good to see how everyone stands at the game seeing this is pretty much the first major tournament for it in ireland. And of course SF4/3s, plus everything ends up cheaper up here due to the ridiculous exchange rate atm \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Gah, was hoping to go to this since ye mentioned it last time in Dublin but unfortunatly I will be away that weekend in England.

Enjoy! I'll get up next time if you're still short on scrubs :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

I'm ordering BlazBlue tomorrow so hopefully get it soon enough to get some practice in. Gonna have to get back into Third Strike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 VDecK

Jim wrote: »
    Gah, was hoping to go to this since ye mentioned it last time in Dublin but unfortunatly I will be away that weekend in England.

Enjoy! I'll get up next time if you're still short on scrubs :pac:

In the end the level of players isn't what counts we'd just love to see more people at each event, north or south. Personally I'd like to see bigger events in the future, it all starts with the players though. Even if it's just a few at the start it's at least something.

I'm hoping to see at least 32 for SFIV, for 3rd strike and Blazblue I couldn't really say but alot of people seem to be into BB right now so again I'm hoping for good numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Its alright Kirby you got the power of Yoga on your side :p

I'd have no problems in travelling up... wont commit to it yet though cos I'm not sure how work is planned for that weekend!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I'll try and make this.

Blag your offer of free nights accomadation still stand?

Sagat how you planing on travelling, if you do go?

I'd drive up if I'm gonna go!

Train and bus travel times added to the original post! Still some intra city transport to cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well I can only go on past experience tbh. Like I said, its certainly not tarnishing everybody with the same brush, that would be idiotic. But it happens.

Obviously, its stupid and archaic. But try telling that to the lads that hop ya. :D

mr_kyle wrote: »
    *mods*
    Certain posts on this thread have long since derailed the original topic. Can the posts discussing the potental sectarian attitudes that may be encountered in Belfast be removed to an appropriate section please?

^This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Id go up but id be scared of bumping into gerry adams running around with a pack of semtex :pac:

Really though I thinks its a bit too far to travel for me. How long would it take to drive from wexford to belfast? Im guessing around 4 hours or so, ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Im well up for SFIV AND 3rd S (Gotta practise my Yun... Again), Ill try n get Xinkai to go as well, He's big into the Blazblue scene now...

bush wrote: »
    Id go up but id be scared of bumping into gerry adams running around with a pack of semtex :pac:

Really though I thinks its a bit too far to travel for me. How long would it take to drive from wexford to belfast? Im guessing around 4 hours or so, ye?

:p

Googlemap tells me 3 hour 50 minutes rounding up to the nearest 10 there. That is definitely a harsh drive. It would be nice to have you up here seeing as you did so well in the XGC tournaments. But man, 8 hours total journey time. Maybe we will get a few matches online or something? lol
    Im well up for SFIV AND 3rd S (Gotta practise my Yun... Again), Ill try n get Xinkai to go as well, He's big into the Blazblue scene now...

Good stuff, post up when you know what your plans are!

Just ordered BlazBlue so hopefully get some practice in before and enter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well then you must have been extremely unlucky. To repeat myself; given the routes, times and distances you would be travelling you are highly unlikey to encounter any sort of mild verbal never mind the open aggression you speak of.

*mods*
    Certain posts on this thread have long since derailed the original topic. Can the posts discussing the potental sectarian attitudes that may be encountered in Belfast be removed to an appropriate section please?

Will do later, however in future please use the report post functionality as it's pure luck I read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Are dentists open on a saturday in belfast? I have to use some excuse to tell my job so i an get that day off :P I'd well be up for it! Are there good BB players up there? I felt kinda bad beating people who don't have it & haven't played it in Dublin last week :(

Hmm Im not sure about the cash though.. Im going to europe... well (Poland, Slovakia and Buaphest) or however its spelt... This friday.. and its costing a fair amount.. lol

But either way, Ill try my darndest to go up :P

Just fyi

The Aircoach from Dublin city centre is €22 return to Belfast afaik. Not 100% of their timetable but since they cater for flights I'd say the timetables runs all day and most of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shotopunx

Just ordered BlazBlue so hopefully get some practice in before and enter.

You can over and play GG here too, that would probably help as well. My new PS2/3 stick will be here on monday.

I'll start playing with the octogate until I get a square one. Is it XX Accent Core? Not sure which one I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Lads, letting a small minority of retards either north or south of the border (or anywhere for that matter) deny you a good day of gaming is something that should not even enter your mind. Travel in numbers and just stick together.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Lads, letting a small minority of retards either north or south of the border (or anywhere for that matter) deny you a good day of gaming is something that should not even enter your mind. Travel in numbers and just stick together.

The north cant be THAT bad now... Can it? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Doubt i can make this, money wise, but i will try, if only to see how my name goes down up in norn iron.

I've been up the North many times both on my own and with groups of mates and never had the slightest bit of trouble.

I wouldn't worry too much, just go up and enjoy the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

All the 9a/b/c/ bus services will also take you up. Tell the driver "Queens" as your destination, it costs £1.60 I think.

Small correction - it's actually the 8A/B/C (the 9 goes down the Lisburn Road) and it's only £1.30 to get to Queen's.

Yreval wrote: »
    Small correction - it's actually the 8A/B/C (the 9 goes down the Lisburn Road) and it's only £1.30 to get to Queen's.

Damn timetables =/ good spot Robert thanks!

It appears I lack the option to edit the OP anymore. What a great idea this is! :pac:

This is crap, I'm not gonna make it to this. Got a gig the same day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Might have a go at this, if I can get my stick play up to scratch by then!

Advertisement