Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Farm365 wrote: »
    What are the do’s and don’t of stitching? Is it more suitable for any particular land type? What’s the difference in cost?

PROS: Quicker, less work (tilling and picking stones), contractor cost could be half of traditional reseeding, no disturbing the soil structure too much.

CONS: Your seed selection has to be on the ball, grass management afterwards is key, No N can be applied for a few weeks, more danger of the seed not germinating, seeds can be abit more in danger of attack from pests like slugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭nhg

Looking for recommendations for a Land Leveller please...

Bought the Guttler & mounted it on our rakeman & bought the Minos Disc Harrow with crumbler. Reseeded 12 acres last week and pleased with how it worked out but when finished rolling wondered should we have went with a land leveller on it too, this field was always pretty level.

Have 7 acres to do now which we drained a few weeks ago. This field was very rough with lots of humps & hollows (locks of water sit in the hollows) and had planned on getting the digger back to grade the field. It's been sprayed, ploughed, stones (rocks, concrete blocks etc - seemingly my uncle dumped everything in this field when digging out the tanks as it was a bog field off the farmyard) picked, got a run of the Disc Harrow today but now we think a land leveller might be better than a digger.

Any suggestions as we're gone so far with it now we want to finish it correctly.

TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭roosterman71

We got one built for us earlier in the year. Well made machine from a local engineer. Think it was €1000 or so for 8ft.

2020-04-11-13-13-51.jpg

We got one built for us earlier in the year. Well made machine from a local engineer. Think it was €1000 or so for 8ft.

2020-04-11-13-13-51.jpg

Would a 9ft or 10ft be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Reggie. wrote: »
    PROS: Quicker, less work (tilling and picking stones), contractor cost could be half of traditional reseeding, no disturbing the soil structure too much.

CONS: Your seed selection has to be on the ball, grass management afterwards is key, No N can be applied for a few weeks, more danger of the seed not germinating, seeds can be abit more in danger of attack from pests like slugs

Stitched in a few acres last Monday and didn’t get to roll it and it has been wet ever since. It has got a couple of all wet days.

Will the rain compensate for the rolling ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Would a 9ft or 10ft be better?

It could be a 9ft now that I think of it! I'll get the tape out and check it tomorrow

Dunedin wrote: »
    Stitched in a few acres last Monday and didn’t get to roll it and it has been wet ever since. It has got a couple of all wet days.

Will the rain compensate for the rolling ?

Yeah it should do. It's mainly soil contact your looking for. Rain helps with that and germination

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Yeah it should do. It's mainly soil contact your looking for. Rain helps with that and germination

No shortage of it lately......

Dunedin wrote: »
    No shortage of it lately......

Ah theres abit of heat there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭nhg

2020-04-11-13-13-51.jpg

Bought a 10' Fleming today €885

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Nice one lots of questions

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I tryed spraying underclear on 5 acres of reseed today only managed to get 300L on it. Ground to wet and a very steep hill put an end to it, it was sown 4 weeks ago if the weather stays against me and I don't get to finish the job what are my options finishing the job next spring. (Best spray to use)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

is it too late to reseed now? cutting silage ground tomorrow will bale sunday i say. was thinkning powerharrow and seed. did i miss the boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Would think you'd be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Lads any ideas why RVP sat by air seeder would have failed.

Sat 2months ago on silage ground that was cut and got a dose of slurry afterwards.

I have not seen any slugs but just read that they may move along the seed lines eating everything in their path.....

grange mac wrote: »
    Lads any ideas why RVP sat by air seeder would have failed.

Sat 2months ago on silage ground that was cut and got a dose of slurry afterwards.

I have not seen any slugs but just read that they may move along the seed lines eating everything in their path.....

What type of slurry

tellmeabit wrote: »
    is it too late to reseed now? cutting silage ground tomorrow will bale sunday i say. was thinkning powerharrow and seed. did i miss the boat?

I'll be sowing all next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I'll be sowing all next week.

Is it too late for putting in rapeseed?

Is it too late for putting in rapeseed?

You could sow it but I think it might be a little late.

• Advertisement

Would Redstart or Gorilla hybrids be better. Sat some Gorilla last week. Got delayed 3 weeks with the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

You could sow it but I think it might be a little late.

Am thinking it's toobmucj of a rush to get it done for Monday before the fert deadline

Water John wrote: »
    Would Redstart or Gorilla hybrids be better. Sat some Gorilla last week. Got delayed 3 weeks with the rain.

I sat some stego on Wednesday - I was in 2 minds whether to do it or not, so I just sat a small bit...
    Was about a week later than planned - but we’ll see how we do...

Never heard of gorilla before...

Gorilla is similar to Redstart. We'll compare notes end of Nov on how we've all fared, grass, brassicas and green cover.
    The good the bad and the ugly.

Gorilla is similar to Redstart. We'll compare notes end of Nov on how we've all fared, grass, brassicas and green cover.
    The good the bad and the ugly.

Looking out the window here now - the crows seem to be happy enough with the Stego anyways... the b'stards... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have a field with a large area of thistles in it, has been sprayed and will be ploughed tomorrow, will these thistles have to be topped first or can they be ploughed straight in to the ground. The reason I ask is because I don't have access to a topper if they have to be removed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Redstart sown here 15th August. Up 4 inches now. Great growth weather to get it going.

Good for you, I just got caught that time with the rain and contractor rightly prioritising silage.

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have a field with a large area of thistles in it, has been sprayed and will be ploughed tomorrow, will these thistles have to be topped first or can they be ploughed straight in to the ground. The reason I ask is because I don't have access to a topper if they have to be removed

Is it seeding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭DJ98

Is it seeding?

I don't think so, they have been sprayed off over 3 weeks and are well dead at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

No need whatsoever to top, they'll disappear undertow sod.

I don't think so, they have been sprayed off over 3 weeks and are well dead at this stage

If dead then plough away

What type of slurry

Sorry Reggie, normal cattle slurry with splash plate and watery.

Sorry Reggie, normal cattle slurry with splash plate and watery.

You could have burned the seed. Just a possibility

You could have burned the seed. Just a possibility

Yeah doubt it but unsure. Contractor said I'm not only one this year complaining of it. He getting service man down take look at his seeder as all 4 people he done it for had massive failure rates. To me if it goes out, it should grow. Unless slugs... Only difference this year is vol rain we got on South West Country had been shocking... I'll just go at it with wagtail next year as too late now.
    Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah doubt it but unsure. Contractor said I'm not only one this year complaining of it. He getting service man down take look at his seeder as all 4 people he done it for had massive failure rates. To me if it goes out, it should grow. Unless slugs... Only difference this year is vol rain we got on South West Country had been shocking... I'll just go at it with wagtail next year as too late now.
    Thanks anyway.

What machine was used? Drill or stitcher?

Don't think you are still too late. Depends what you want to set and what the ground looks like. Knock up a bit of soil with a harrow, wagtail trailing a bit of sally and roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Don't think you are still too late. Depends what you want to set and what the ground looks like. Knock up a bit of soil with a harrow, wagtail trailing a bit of sally and roll.

Agreed, temperatures are in the 20s and prg will come away fine for another few weeks easy on any brown earth. Just put in plenty seed.

What mac
    hine was used? Drill or stitcher?

An air stitcher, machine is new and seller is taking a look at it this week as still under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Redstart sown here 15th August. Up 4 inches now. Great growth weather to get it going.

Taken this evening

• Advertisement

Great, mine's peeping up now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭High bike

Taken this evening
    we put ours in the same time and got 2 weeks rain straight away so couldn't roll.Got the fert out after 3 weeks and its coming away grand now with the heat for the last couple of weeks I'll put a pic up tomorrow.

Well at least I got the reseed right this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

If you are going clearing off land for reseeding with a digger, is it necessary to spray it first?
    Land is currently under rushes, briars, gorse etc along with intervals of grass/weeds.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    If you are going clearing off land for reseeding with a digger, is it necessary to spray it first?
    Land is currently under rushes, briars, gorse etc along with intervals of grass/weeds.

Nah. I'd spray after

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Have some neglected land that I'm planning on reseeding in the next few years. ph is currently 5.7 so it'll need 2 splits of lime to get the ph to 6.3. Should I get the land to 6.3 before I think about reseeding it, or should I put the second split of lime out during the reseeding? It's getting 2ton/ ac this week.

Have some neglected land that I'm planning on reseeding in the next few years. ph is currently 5.7 so it'll need 2 splits of lime to get the ph to 6.3. Should I get the land to 6.3 before I think about reseeding it, or should I put the second split of lime out during the reseeding? It's getting 2ton/ ac this week.

What will it take to get it to the 6.3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I find that the first two ton brings it up a lot, Maybe to well over six, but if you don't follow it up within the two years it goes down quick too

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

4 ton/acre

4 ton/acre

You could give it 2 ton now and reseed in the spring. You would have to wait another year to give it another 2 ton bit the ground might be tender after bring reseeded tho

• Advertisement
Advertisement