Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

• 12-04-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

MOD EDIT:

Rumours posted in this thread will be removed, we need a bit more to go on than simply what someone has heard through the grapevine.

"If all goes to plan, boojum Galway will be opening at the end of May/start of June."

Mexican Burrito Bar. Opening next to Kumar's. Notice up looking for staff. I quoted the above from a new Facebook page doing the rounds.

https://www.facebook.com/boojumgalway

http://www.boojummex.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    "If all goes to plan, boojum Galway will be opening at the end of May/start of June."

Mexican Burrito Bar. Opening next to Kumar's. Notice up looking for staff. I quoted the above from a new Facebook page doing the rounds.

https://www.facebook.com/boojumgalway

http://www.boojummex.com/

Is that the unit where BK's used to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Designs of Ireland has opened where The Bead Shop was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Surprised and pleased to see L'osteria da Roberta have re-opened in their former premises in Upper Salthill. Haven't been in yet but it looks exactly the same as it always did.

A new cafe - the G counter - has opened in Wellpark behing the G hotel, beside Eddie Rockets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They are re-opening, at the end of this month.
    Just saw in the paper they are opening in Salthill, can't wait to go for a Bento :)

New place going in where the fruit and veg place was on Mary St, im guessing maybe an Asian or Eastern European foodstore by the shelving inside. Something called 'Down Town Cafe' opening where the German place was on Abbeygate St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Malena72

Funny I was just thinking about that shop Boston yesterday as I walked away from Aldi, it's been idle for so long. A new Pharmacy has gone in the other side of Aldi, it looks nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭feargalmcc1

Malena72 wrote: »
    Funny I was just thinking about that shop Boston yesterday as I walked away from Aldi, it's been idle for so long. A new Pharmacy has gone in the other side of Aldi, it looks nice.

How long has it been there for as far as I can remember the clothes in there were tacky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

New paint & wallpaper shop in westside where ernies discount store was.

C'mon the optimists,

Westy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

The petrol station across from the entrance of Merlin Park Hospital seems to be reopening as Texaco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

That new pharmacy in Michael McLoughlins, who had been operating in the city for years. Very nice and helpful people to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Paint shop opened where arnies used to be in westside

There is a new art gallery and mens clothes shop on Abbeygate Street Upper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Field's Jewelers are fitting out in the former Benetton shop on William Street. That shop must be vacant for more than five years.

There is a new art gallery and mens clothes shop on Abbeygate Street Upper.

All in one :confused:. Or the two that have been there for the last 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

The Kingsvalley hotel on the Merlin Park road in Galway City has closed recently, anyone know any details why?

I assume it wasn't making enough trade as it was never all that busy, but it's a pity because they did good carvery dinners there.

Or has the owner who has another hotel in Claregalway gone out of business?

Did you see a sign on the door or hear something down the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

Seen a sign on the door during the week when I called in for lunch.

Was surprised to see all the window blinds pulled down and just a simple "closed" sign on the door.

I live nearby and hadn't heard a thing about it.

The hotel website at http://www.kingsvalley.ie is displaying a "Kingsvalley Hotel & Bodkins Bar is closed until further notice" message.

So I'm curious if anyone knows whats going in the background here (e.g. business is not viable, owner in financial trouble, change of owner etc) and if it is likely it will open again.

Another hotel not far away (Racing Lodge aka Auburn House hotel) closed about 2 years ago and it is still closed.

Sound thanks for the clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I tried to go into it last week and noticed it closed as well. I asked a few people about it and was told its closed a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 galwaygirl2805

Nath wrote: »
    Another hotel not far away (Racing Lodge aka Auburn House hotel) closed about 2 years ago and it is still closed.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/search/node/racing%20lodge

Saw this in The Sentinel about two weeks ago, "Deserted hotel to be turned in to a community centre, with multi-demonitational worship area"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Malena72

New Nail Bar in Abbeygate street where the Diva Nail Bar used to be.
    Also new Boutique where Closets boutique used to be in Abbeygate street!

24 Hour Subway and Londis opening across from The King's Head. Happy happy days! Finally somewhere other than Gala in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Re Bar Eight

Just seen a comment on there Facebook page there closed for good https://www.facebook.com/eightonthedocks/posts/537203259676235

www.facebook.com/eightonthedocks
    Posted 8.30 today:
    Sorry everyone but we had had to close. We could not carry the financial burden any longer. Thank you for all your support.
    Ok that takes the guesswork out of it now that there is an official release.
    www.eight.ie still not updated.

Too bad, good food.

Kappa Ya to reopen
    Kappa-ya will have a "Soft Opening" Saturday 1st June. We will be serving Sushi & Tempura for lunch all Fixed price, buffet style & for dinner New Teishoku Dish, all made with the best locally sourced Meat, Fish & Veg.
    www.facebook.com/pages/Kappa-ya/105560132519

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hi folks,
    As you may notice this thread has lost the bulk of it's posts, they haven't been deleted but they can't be seen either.
    We're going to start fresh here, sort of, as I've copied most of the last month's worth of posts over to a new thread so that we don't have old, unfounded rumours or misinformation cropping up any more, other than that it's business as usual.

It's important to bare in mind that you should not post about a business unless you can back your post up, if you cannot do so your post will be removed - even if it's a positive rumour, it'll still be treated as a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Nath wrote: »
    The Kingsvalley hotel on the Merlin Park road in Galway City has closed recently, anyone know any details why?

I assume it wasn't making enough trade as it was never all that busy, but it's a pity because they did good carvery dinners there.

Or has the owner who has another hotel in Claregalway gone out of business?

The Kingsvalley was being run by a receiver/hotel management company and had been under a combined structure with the Forster court which has been run by receiver the last year. Afaik they were both financed by Bank of Scotland loans so hence the link. Kingsvalley must be just untenable.
    There was no previous link in the owners of the hotels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's important to bare in mind that you should not post about a business unless you can back your post up, if you cannot do so your post will be removed - even if it's a positive rumour, it'll still be treated as a rumour.

Fair enough.

But can I ask for clues about what standard of backup you need? Is "I personally walked past at Xam (when they usually would be open, and they were closed / signage and fittings were removed" enough?

With openings, there's often a media link, or at least we can say "see an advert of page X of this week's Advertiser", but lots of closures aren't published in any way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If you walk past a place and see a sign indicating that it has ceased trading, mention that.
    If you see a business that has been gutted mention that - maybe it hasn't shut down, maybe it's moved location, I'm sure other posters will question as such.
    This isn't exactly the most concrete proof from a random poster on the internet, but is enough for the post to stay until it is countered, and as Galway is not a massive place most of these are easy to verify.

I can't give you exact rules of conduct as I can't plan for every possible scenario, each post will have to be dealt with as they crop up and a lot of this has to do with common sense, just don't post something if you're not certain about it's validity - so posting something like "I heard from X that the Alphabet Shop is shutting down" is a definite no-no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They have said that all outstanding orders and agreements will be honoured so the buzz might not be too bad.

New place going in where the fruit and veg place was on Mary St, im guessing maybe an Asian or Eastern European foodstore by the shelving inside. Something called 'Down Town Cafe' opening where the German place was on Abbeygate St.

So this place is an Asian grocery store, its more Korean and Japanese than the other ones around for those interested.

New shop called 'My Shop....Granny Likes It' opened couple doors up from Sallys too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

I heard <snip> closed down on Sunday!

Mod edit: no it didn't, name removed

• Advertisement

They're open today according to their facebook.
    This thread isn't for throwing out rumors that we then have to sort out.

Just ate there. It's open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

They had to close on Sunday due to being a victim of its own success allegedly!
    Ran out of absolutely everything on Saturday. Hard to get fresh supplies on a Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

El Burrito has disappeared! Just passed it. Lights off and the place is cleared out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

New Nail Bar in Abbeygate street where the Diva Nail Bar used to be.

Have you any idea of what their name is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The Royal Cafe on Lower Abbeygate Street hasn't been open for business all week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

An Italian cafe called Florence has opened in the former Couch Potatoes location.

Standard pizza / pasta looking Italian menu. I haven't tried them out, just noticed last night.

So we now have Venice in Lower Abbeygate St, and Florence in Upper Abbeygate St. Anyone wanna take bets on where Rome, Naples, etc are going to go? :-)

An Italian cafe called Florence has opened in the former Couch Potatoes location.

Standard pizza / pasta looking Italian menu. I haven't tried them out, just noticed last night.

So we now have Venice in Lower Abbeygate St, and Florence in Upper Abbeygate St. Anyone wanna take bets on where Rome, Naples, etc are going to go? :-)

Naples is at Pizza & Pasta Napoli, slow off the mark there Bumble.

Milano on Middle Street...

Have you any idea of what their name is?

Million Dollar Secrets, just walked by there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Milano on Middle Street...

Are you saying it's closed/closing down or answering another post or something?

Are you saying it's closed/closing down or answering another post or something?

Answering another post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

There is fit out work going on in the old Dignity night club on shop street. No other details though!

recent gossip removed

Shanely, you're going to have to substantiate your posts in this thread, guaranties from an anonymous poster aren't enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

01902 wrote: »
    There is fit out work going on in the old Dignity night club on shop street. No other details though!

Coyotoes is moving there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement