Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Thargor wrote: »
    Well some kind of noise maker, they're not going to be designed in a way that sends shrapnel flying all over the place, which is better, hitting this or hitting a bridge?

The poor bridge is the victim. It was already wearing hivis too.

Any truck driver that hits a bridge that has a height signposted should not be on the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Well some kind of noise maker, they're not going to be designed in a way that sends shrapnel flying all over the place, which is better, hitting this or hitting a bridge?

BZeMztj.jpg
    i suspect the chap in the incident above would not have been aware he struck the sign, given how far back the JCB was. wouldn't have transmitted through to the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,131 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Some bridges are like magnets: http://11foot8.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they've put armadillos in here, to protect the cycle lane between the entry and exit points of this yard. great job, lads, it's one of the dirtiest cycle lanes i know of, but they've addressed an issue which has never actually manifested itself, that i can remember.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3478772,-6.2271453,3a,75y,97.06h,82.31t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sVlLz4Nc9GplO5SbaHioPHQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DVlLz4Nc9GplO5SbaHioPHQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D85.59376%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100
    spotted this morning that they've repainted the markings on the cycle path along here; one minor benefit being that i assume they had to sweep it before starting.
    however, the markings on the section above (at the exit from this yard) now direct cyclists up onto a path where there is no cycle path marked, and never has been IIRC. given that there was a cyclst killed on this stretch a year ago, i might have hoped they'd have taken a bit more care. maybe the armadillos *is* their version of taking more care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ah feck - I thought Paris - Roubaix was on Sunday week, I kinda promised someone my time on Sunday next, Pray for bad weather folks :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The only thing you could do is put a sign up at Bus Aras directing trucks etc. over a certain height to do a turnaround there. That's it. Used to happen all the time at my old workplace where trucks over height thought they could squeeze in at the apex of the bridge so would drive in the middle of the road, blocking all traffic, and typically get stuck or have a bridge strike. Even if they made it, it always took 20 minutes to do, rather than just drive to a different junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

First time in 15 years of bike commuting Ive seen Gardaí pulling during rush hour. They were going to town on private cars in the Harolds cross road bus lane.
    Ive never seen it move so freely. Fair play Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

can anyone give me their thoughts on this bike for sale. I have an older commuting bike but I don't want to use my bike-to-work until an office move happens later in the year so I know about security, ie I don't want to spend a grand on a bike unless I can bring it in-doors and I’d be going for more a hybrid. However I'd like a decent bike to take a spin at the weekend and this looked interesting. Ive asked for more info on state of the tyres/rust , age etc. How would you judge in terms of “good deal” or just average price for what it is?

https://www.gumtree.ie/a-sports-leisure/dublin/cube-peloton-racer-new-model-bike/1004657778460911167537609

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

58cm size would suit someone 160-195cm tall
    talk about hedging your bets!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

It looks okay for the price but it's certainly not a "new model" as he describes it. That groupset was new about eight years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

talk about hedging your bets!
    Also, 30 speed tiagra?

i'm guessing it's a triple.

2012 lol , a well shagged bike then

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

silverharp wrote: »
    2012 lol , a well shagged bike then
    Not necessarily. I have a few old bikes that are in near-perfect condition.

also ask about the drivetrain - how much mileage is on it, has the chain/cassette ever been changed; ask about brake wear on the rims too.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

silverharp wrote: »
    Ive asked for more info on state of the tyres/rust , age etc. How would you judge in terms of “good deal” or just average price for what it is?

in general, for a 2nd hand bike, plan on replacing everything that moves! Unless the bike is sold in an as new condition, at the very least, the drivetrain will need replacing - cassette, chain, chainrings, possibly the bottom bracket if its done enough miles. You should also plan on new cables, brake blocks and tyres. The wheels should also be checked for sufficient metal in the braking surface - might need to factor in new ones. If it was me, I'd also be checking handlebar and stem for wear.

These bits all add up, 1k might sound a lot for a bike, but it could be cheaper than having to spend 2 chunks of cash - your 500ish spend for 1k on the btw scheme + a 2nd bike and all its spare parts.

aldark wrote: »
    in general, for a 2nd hand bike, plan on replacing everything that moves! Unless the bike is sold in an as new condition, at the very least, the drivetrain will need replacing - cassette, chain, chainrings, possibly the bottom bracket if its done enough miles. You should also plan on new cables, brake blocks and tyres. The wheels should also be checked for sufficient metal in the braking surface - might need to factor in new ones. If it was me, I'd also be checking handlebar and stem for wear.

These bits all add up, 1k might sound a lot for a bike, but it could be cheaper than having to spend 2 chunks of cash - your 500ish spend for 1k on the btw scheme + a 2nd bike and all its spare parts.

:eek: doesn't sound so cheap now, thanks for the tips

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've bought a few second hand bikes from here, and adverts. They've not needed nearly as much as that if well maintained. It's obviously an idea to check all these things, but if it's just a runaround/commuter then it will most likely be fine.

'at the very least, the drivetrain will need replacing' - somewhat overstated, methinks?
    if the bike was heavily used or badly used enough that the chainrings were shot, i suspect you'd see it quickly enough on inspection. i know people who have scored bargains on barely used bikes, being sold precisely because they were not being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

'at the very least, the drivetrain will need replacing' - somewhat overstated, methinks?
    if the bike was heavily used or badly used enough that the chainrings were shot, i suspect you'd see it quickly enough on inspection. i know people who have scored bargains on barely used bikes, being sold precisely because they were not being used.

Yep I know of more than a handful of people in my office who got the bike to work scheme & have yet to put up anything above 500km total on their bikes & probably never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Chains? That guy suggested poles. So a truck hits the chain or pole and where do they go? Who do they kill?
    They stay put, thats the whole idea, a truck hits them and hopefully hears it, they are so benign some might use them as a test, driver under and get out and check visually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tell-tale_(bridges)

Height%20Guard%20-%20drive-thru%20copy.jpg

1200px-IowaAvenueTelltale.jpg

That lad with the JCB probably never got it measured after loading.

Pretty sure I have seen one on some bridge in dublin near ringsend, but could have been decades ago. You see them in car parks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yep I know of more than a handful of people in my office who got the bike to work scheme & have yet to put up anything above 500km total on their bikes & probably never will.

like unused gym memberships. Many have plenty of cash so went the full 1K. I know someone who likely has seriously not put in 10km on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rubadub wrote: »
    Pretty sure I have seen one on some bridge in dublin near ringsend, but could have been decades ago. You see them in car parks though.

there's one in Greystones to protect the rail bridge at the harbour, you can see it on Google maps:
    https://goo.gl/maps/yoEjvSwoQ2v

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

well, even if the bike was just being used for a commute in and out of town, after a year, it'd need a new chain and cassette, not chainrings - but op was looking at a 7 year old bike. My comments are for a bike that has actually been used, not trundled about for 10kms.

I've bought a few cheapo bikes on adverts but always price in replacing consumables - tyres, cassette & chain at least. Last bike I bought was a bit of a lemon, I only discovered when I got it home that the seatpost was the wrong size fit for the frame and had been cut and hammered in to fit.

there are definitely bargains to be had for unused btw bikes though, but bargain is a relative term - how much would you have paid for it before the btw scheme came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Saw a nasty looking fall today, I was on a Dublin Bus on the Kilarney Road in Bray right here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1972143,-6.1165654,3a,75y,252.55h,72.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stKZ0wz8MLtnnOIkg8Io-Lw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It might have been a case of him getting clipped by a car entering that estate or just one of the many trenches that cable companies have dug in that road and not repaired properly. Black Cube lying on the ground, front wheel looked a bit warped, several motorists had surrounded the male cyclist with their cars blocking off the lane and had him wrapped in blankets and pillows on the ground, looked like he was in a bed. He was staring straight up at the sky with a couple of women holding his hands, no sign of the ambulance yet. Scary to see because that road is nearly my fav place for flooring it on my commute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He was conscious and responding when I came past , lots of people around so I moved on as too many people can be as dangerous as too few. No idea what had happened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Saw a nasty looking fall today from the top deck of a Dublin Bus on the Kilarney Road in Bray right here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1972143,-6.1165654,3a,75y,252.55h,72.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stKZ0wz8MLtnnOIkg8Io-Lw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It might have been a case of him getting clipped by a car entering that estate or just one of the many trenches that cable companies have dug in that road and not repaired properly. Black Cube lying on the ground, front wheel looked a bit warped, several motorists had surrounded the male cyclist with their cars blocking off the lane and had him wrapped in blankets and pillows on the ground, looked like he was in a bed. He was staring straight up at the sky with a couple of women holding his hands, no sign of the ambulance yet. Scary to see because that road is nearly my fav place for flooring it on my commute.

Without meaning to make light of this accident and I hope cyclist is ok but...

That opening statement had me thinking " how can you fall from the top deck of a Dublin Bus? :P

i did a double take on that too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,877 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ha, edited.

Glad he seemed alright.

Advertisement