Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircodes, why do some courier companies not use them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Nobelium wrote: »
    you point, or click at the fecking map and read the alpha numeric grid reference for any location, as people have been doing for years, but now were forced to use an encrypted grid reference, and this is supposed to be some marvelous innovation ? lol
    Is this map made for free? How are these points associated with postal and geographical addresses? How are the attributes associated with the addresses collected? How is it maintained?

Apparently you just point and click at a screen and a comprehensive relational address database of the entire country appears.

Jesus wept! You obviously haven't thought this through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

How do you think that the eircode "knows" where it should be when you search for it on Google maps?

It's almost like there's a relational database in the background that Google licence, that matches each eircode to an ITM/WGS84 coordinate! Or it's magic.

all it's doing is decrypting an alphanumeric map grid reference, that it had no business encrypting in the first place.

Is this map made for free? How are these points associated with postal and geographical addresses? How are the attributes associated with the addresses collected? How is it maintained?

Apparently you just point and click at a screen and a comprehensive relational address database of the entire country appears.

Jesus wept! You obviously haven't thought this through.

If you don't know how a simple map grid reference works, i can't help you.

How do you have to "maintain" a map grid reference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

If you don't know how a simple map grid reference works, i can't help you.

How do you have to "maintain" a map grid reference ?
    No point continuing this. You've no idea what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

all it's doing is decrypting an alphanumeric map grid reference, that it had no business encrypting in the first place.

I mean, how do you respond to this.

Start at the start again, "What is Eircode"?

• Advertisement

No point continuing this. You've no idea what I'm talking about.

I don't think he knows what he's talking about.

I mean, how do you respond to this.

Start at the start again, "What is Eircode"?

it's a postal/delivery code that uses an encrypted grid reference, as unencrypted gird references would be free, and you can't be having that

I don't think he knows what he's talking about.

meanwhile back reality, it's not my fault you refuse to comprehend/acknowledge the principle of a map grid reference, while pretending it's the emperor's new clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

it's a postal/delivery code that uses an encrypted grid reference, as unencrypted gird references would be free, and you can't be having that

Again, you can't be putting 53.xxxxxx followed by 8.yyyyyy into an Amazon order form online

What system would you choose ?

gctest50 wrote: »
    Again, you can't be putting 53.xxxxxx followed by 8.yyyyyy into an Amazon order form online

What system would you choose ?

you can use any alphanumeric version, why does it have to be an encrypted code ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

LOL. I'm wondering which of the LOC-8 cheerleaders is the guy who owns it as a re-reg (I believe he was banned)

meanwhile back reality, it's not my fault you refuse to comprehend/acknowledge the principle of a map grid reference, while pretending it's the emperor's new clothes.

I'm a surveyor and a GIS analyst.

I comprehend it plenty buddy.

I'm a surveyor and a GIS analyst.

I comprehend it plenty buddy.

dear lord, that's seriously worrying

and i'm not your buddy, bro, pal, dude, mate, lad

you can use any alphanumeric version, why does it have to be an encrypted code ?

Please give one example of an "alphanumeric code"

Any location in Ireland, anywhere

This isn't national school, if you don't know what an alpha numeric gird reference is, or can't work one out, I can't help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

dear lord, that's seriously worrying

and i'm not your buddy, bro, pal, dude, mate, lad

Nor anybody’s I’d say.

You’ve been owned multiple times on this thread and it’s a joy to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

There’s nothing encrypted in an eircode alphanumeric string. You have no idea what that word means.

This isn't national school, if you don't know what an alpha numeric gird reference is, or can't work one out, I can't help you.

Which one ?

here's a few :

WGS84/ETRS89

OS Ireland 65

ED50 (European Datum)

Irish Transverse Mercator Grid

Irish Grid

WGS84/ETRS89 datum

UTM Zone N hemis.

ED50 datum

UTM

Bonne Projection (Ireland)

War Office Irish Grid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

The government loves spending - in other words borrowing - 50 million euro it does not have, to squander.

Bit like the childrens hospital scandal. I have no skin in the game though, but I bet some of those who defend the "eircode" system so much above other systems got a slice of the 50 million the government spent on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Loads of courier companies are starting to use them, the emergency services ask for it, and the ESB are going to use them for the smart metering rollout. Slow and steady uptake in usage.

Don't think An Post use them though and since they carry the bulk of the country's mail, they kinda set the tone.

• Advertisement

There’s nothing encrypted in an eircode alphanumeric string. You have no idea what that word means.

Seeing as you are actually the one that doesn't here's the dictionary for you

"convert (information or data) into a code, especially to prevent unauthorized access."

The database uses the code to reference geo-coordinates of each address point, that's encrypting the map reference so you have to have access to the database to obtain it, hence the fee.

Nor anybody’s I’d say.

You’ve been owned multiple times on this thread and it’s a joy to watch.

seems all your capable of is personal attacks, looks like you've been p'wned now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Have I ?

Tell you what big keyboard man, PM me your eircode and we can continue this offline, let's see if you have the balls to say that to my face.

Scarp, scrap, scrap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

janfebmar wrote: »

<SNIP>

I bet some of those who defend the "eircode" system so much above other systems got a slice of the 50 million the government spent on it.

Not connected to it in any way shape or form. Just a user/consumer.

I see the benefit of it & use it daily for both personal & business use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

OU812 wrote: »
    Not connected to it in any way shape or form. Just a user/consumer.

Like wise - no connection. It works very well and delivers on what it was supposed to do. Why there's a nark over An Post not needing it is incomprehensible. Money well spent.

Couriers are happy with it and recipients of goods are happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,721 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In the course of looking at Wikipeda, I read that there was a postal strike in Canada against the introduction of postcodes. The workers manning the machine readers were going to be paid less than the manual sorters.

An Post skipped a generation or two with their machines, which can read full addresses, with no need for a code.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Don't think An Post use them though and since they carry the bulk of the country's mail, they kinda set the tone.

You are right, the An Post courier drivers do not use them , or the post office. Neither do many courier drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,721 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You are right, the An Post courier drivers do not use them , or the post office. Neither do many courier drivers.

You are right about An Post. But how do you know how many couriers use them?

OU812 wrote: »

The reason it has not caught on with the general public is because it is not as easy to use as other systems, plus it was a lot more expensive. Sounds like the new Childrens hospital? Yes, we all know there is a need for a childrens hospital, or post code system, but why a poorly designed, expensive one?

As someone else said, an increasing number of tourists are starting to visit Ireland for walking and cycling routes and again Eircode are an utter fail when it comes to highlighting points of interest along these routes. If we want to grow our tourism numbers why are we not acting in a coherent manner and doing everything possible to direct and help tourists once they are here? Will waypoints on the Wild Atlantic Way be on Eircode? NO!

A Duty of Care responsibility also arises if the State encourages tourists to visit remote locations such as the Wild Atlantic Way. The state must provide reasonable means for public safety, signage, and fixed rescue points etc. unfortunately Eircode provide no mechanism to assist in these scenarios.

You are right about An Post. But how do you know how many couriers use them?

Sometimes when I meet a courier drivers / am signing for the delivery, I ask them do they use eircodes or what they think of the system. Not all of them even have broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The reason it has not caught on with the general public is because it is not as easy to use as other systems, plus it was a lot more expensive. Sounds like the new Childrens hospital? Yes, we all know there is a need for a childrens hospital, or post code system, but why a poorly designed, expensive one?

As someone else said, an increasing number of tourists are starting to visit Ireland for walking and cycling routes and again Eircode are an utter fail when it comes to highlighting points of interest along these routes. If we want to grow our tourism numbers why are we not acting in a coherent manner and doing everything possible to direct and help tourists once they are here? Will waypoints on the Wild Atlantic Way be on Eircode? NO!

A Duty of Care responsibility also arises if the State encourages tourists to visit remote locations such as the Wild Atlantic Way. The state must provide reasonable means for public safety, signage, and fixed rescue points etc. unfortunately Eircode provide no mechanism to assist in these scenarios.
    That's way beyond what the system was ever intended for. Indeed it's beyond any postcode system in use anywhere. It's for deliveries, not to signpost tourist attractions or provide rescue coordinates. Where did this angle come from? That's a huge red herring and reminiscent of a Gary Delaney press release.

Advertisement