Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircodes, why do some courier companies not use them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Difficult to type on a mobile, hard to remember? Eircode is just 7 characters! Do some people just find excuses to find a problem with everything in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Couriers like to make up excuses when they run out of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Every courier that has delivered to us now uses Eircode. Gone are the days of talking them in for the last 5 miles or failure to find us.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

I'm still waiting for the postcard I sent myself, properly stamped, with only the eircode listed. So An Post failed that test.

Roadtoad wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the postcard I sent myself, properly stamped, with only the eircode listed. So An Post failed that test.
    This has been explained umpteen times. Eircode is not designed to be used by An Post and isn't. Something posted without a name and address won't be delivered unless somebody in the sorting office goes above and beyond their job description and looks up the Eircode to get an address.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

An post don't use it, nor will they ever. They have their own automated sorting systems that do not use Eircode

• Registered Users Posts: 20,793 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They are really handy to have. Was it Eamon Ryan when he was last in government that got it all started? (that's going by memory of him on Vincent Browne anyway).

I do wish that the codes didn't feel so random.

Like if I wanted a delivery to Youghal in Cork the code should be something like CKYL1234. It might have taken the eircode crew a little longer to set up, but there was truly no impediment to doing it that way. Would also be able to remember it much easier for the regular Joe.

That is aping the UK system which is an outlier internationally.

It is not difficult to learn Eircodes. The first part is common to an area, e.g. north Louth is A91, south Louth A92.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,495 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think you'll find that An Post are now €1 richer, and that you failed the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I use Eir code, it is brilliant

A package got delivered to wrong address yesterday, two counties have same house number and street....so I always list Eir code

When I rang An Post to complain they told me they don’t use Eir codes......what the hell is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    When I rang An Post to complain they told me they don’t use Eir codes......what the hell is that about?

they have their own internal system they think is better and don't want anyone else to know about or use. Just typical Irish Govt / semi state practice, trying to protect what they have for their own benefit, rather than changing for the customers benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Eircode is not useful for a location that is not a house. If you have an accident on a roadside or if you get hurt hillwalking, Eircode wont help you, whereas Loc8 code will and it was recognised by the GPS companies long before Eircode.. Also, Govt departments were ordered to make Eircode work so they will not accept forms, in paper or online without an Eircode. Loc8 code was offered to the State for free and they refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any courier company not using them won't be around much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Eircode is not useful for a location that is not a house. If you have an accident on a roadside or if you get hurt hillwalking, Eircode wont help you, whereas Loc8 code will and it was recognised by the GPS companies long before Eircode..

https://what3words.com/

works worldwide

............whereas Loc8 code will and it was recognised by the GPS companies long before Eircode..

Should we all dig out the sextants then ? door knob on a string perhaps ?

you need to buy credits for loc8, and it's sh!te
    Loc8 code was offered to the State for free and they refused.

Born as a proof of concept that geolocation-postcodes can be trivial maths, and without the need for proprietary licenses and centralised management, it remains Ireland's most accurate postcode at 8 characters; while even at 7 characters at <3m average radial offset from a point - over 4 times more precise than Loc8code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

It is not difficult to learn Eircodes.

Oh yes it is. Few people know their own eircodes by heart.

The first part is common to an area, e.g. north Louth is A91, south Louth A92.

Then why not have the first part LHN and Louth south LHS , or something like that. In a weeks time I'll remember LHN, I will not remember A91.

janfebmar wrote: »

It's 6 number and letters, hardly much to learn, and you only need to learn your own. Everyone in our house use it all the time. Maybe a certain subset of people are just too stubborn to make the effort to memorise it.

Then why not have the first part LHN and Louth south LHS , or something like that. In a weeks time I'll remember LHN, I will not remember A91.

Like I said that is the UK system, but it is not in use anywhere else that I know of? Most of the rest of the world seems to be using only digits.

Someone living in NI probably knows that their Postcode starts with BT, if they are in Newry they might know that it starts with BT34. I don't see how that is any better than knowing an Eircode in Dundalk starts with A91.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I ****ed up an address recently for an order.

Put down the wrong county and right village/eircode. There's actual a village by that name in said wrong county but I was fine as they went by eircode as that had all the information in it to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

What message did you write on the postcard, out of curiosity? And did you post it from near where you live? I'm wondering if the sorter knew you were testing the system so he made a paper aeroplane out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Varik wrote: »
    I ****ed up an address recently for an order.

Put down the wrong county and right village/eircode.

LOl. Most people would know their county but may get a letter or digit wrong on their eircode and get the parcel they expected sent to the wrong end of the country.

Tourists are baffled by our eircode system too, the digits seem totally random.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

LOl. Most people would know their county but may get a letter or digit wrong on their eircode and get the parcel they expected sent to the wrong end of the country.

pop down menu for selection, nothing was typed.

• Advertisement

If they get a letter or number wrong, it will probably turn into a non existent code. I never met a tourist with an opinion on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

The first part is common to an area, e.g. north Louth is A91, south Louth A92.

At some stage of your life you had to learn the word Louth. Now you just need to activate your brain again which is obviously being under utilised and memorize your Eircode. Or else just write it on the back of your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

eircode is a great system, everyone should be using it

Eircode system is sh1te, it only works because google maps supports it.

stoneill wrote: »
    Eircode system is sh1te, it only works because google maps supports it.

And Apple, and Garmin, and TomTom...
    It serves its intended purpose, just learn your own Eircode and when you get given one look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,416 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe it's because commercial users have to pay a fee to access the Eircode system - and it's not particularly cheap.

https://www.eircode.ie/docs/default-source/Common/licensing-and-pricing-information-as-of-september-2015---published-v-3.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Clear cookies on browser and you can keep accessing as much as you want.

Eircode is not useful for a location that is not a house. If you have an accident on a roadside or if you get hurt hillwalking, Eircode wont help you, whereas Loc8 code will and it was recognised by the GPS companies long before Eircode.. Also, Govt departments were ordered to make Eircode work so they will not accept forms, in paper or online without an Eircode. Loc8 code was offered to the State for free and they refused.

Loc8? You're joking. I went with it years ago, because of difficulty getting deliveries to our rural location. Not one courier company used it nor had heard of it. The Garmin I had at the time didn't use it, and no in car sat nav since has used it. And it's a very unwieldy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I do as does my 7 year old son in case of an emergency & he had to call an ambulance or something along those lines.

Few people know their own eircodes by heart.

Absolutely not true. I know 80 year olds and 4 year olds who can recite their Eircode no problem whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

dobman88 wrote: »
    Why didn't you put your eircode on the address? Every company has a space for an eircode these days. As a courier its annoying when people dont use them and their address could be awkward to find.

We order a lot of stuff from amazon, a lot of couriers still don't understand or are too lazy to use eircode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

eircode is a great system, everyone should be using it

The instinctive recoil by many at the mention of it is incredible

" oh I don't know what that is, it might kill me"

Advertisement