Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircodes, why do some courier companies not use them?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

daheff wrote: »
    i only use eircode to prepopulate forms online.

dont use it in real life because mine is wrong. it has my house listed as being in a town 30km away.... because its part of that postal district. fine for An post.. but not good for couriers

Did you report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I share your pain ....

I was selling items on a buy and sell and a lady wanted to come see them ...she messaged me for directions ... I sent her eircode / a screen shot of map from eircode // this still wasnt enough.... i told her if she put eircode into Google maps it would sat nav her right to my door ....

A huge fuss ,, 2/3 phone calls ...eventually I had to drive out to meet her a mile away ...

Did she buy them ....

NO.... it was to big for her ( even tho I had size in ad)

" I only want a table to fit 3 chairs"

So why the feck did you come see a table that was 6 ft by 4 ft with 6 chairs you stupid time wasting bag.

Eircodes great .

I share your pain ....

I was selling items on a buy and sell and a lady wanted to come see them ...she messaged me for directions ... I sent her eircode / a screen shot of map from eircode // this still wasnt enough.... i told her if she put eircode into Google maps it would sat nav her right to my door ....

A huge fuss ,, 2/3 phone calls ...eventually I had to drive out to meet her a mile away ...

Did she buy them ....

NO.... it was to big for her ( even tho I had size in ad)

" I only want a table to fit 3 chairs"

So why the feck did you come see a table that was 6 ft by 4 ft with 6 chairs you stupid time wasting bag.

Eircodes great .

Sounds like she would struggle with any directions TBH. Why didn't she get the directions before she left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

vargoo wrote: »
    They don't as their systems can't use them.
    They, most certainly, do use them. I was asked for it when I phoned for assistance for a neighbour and the driver said it made life so much easier for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They, most certainly, do use them. I was asked for it when I phoned for assistance for a neighbour and the driver said it made life so much easier for them.

Possesed

https://boards.ie/thread/2057985010/1/#post110323474

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

gctest50 wrote: »

Eh? Will get a definite answer.

Will take hours to find the podcast with bit I'm telling you about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

vargoo wrote: »
    Eh? Will get a definite answer.

Will take hours to find the podcast with bit I'm telling you about.

They're all being fitted with mobile data terminals that will use the Eircode

https://imgur.com/DPclhUJ

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1168734399935954&id=398265096982892

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Is it only Google maps that has eircode? Any other satnav companies using them yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

daheff wrote: »
    i only use eircode to prepopulate forms online.

dont use it in real life because mine is wrong. it has my house listed as being in a town 30km away.... because its part of that postal district. fine for An post.. but not good for couriers
    Check the eircode website. You'll see your geographic address and also your postal address, listed separately.
    For most people, both will be the same. But not all.

Hitchens wrote: »
    Is it only Google maps that has eircode? Any other satnav companies using them yet?

Yes, Garmin and Tomtom

• Advertisement

Yes, Garmin and Tomtom
    I don't know about that, you would have to be connected to the internet, and most normal sat navs are not.

Eircode is not a location code. It is only a reference number that looks up an online database for the actual location. You get 50 lookups free per day (I think it used to be only about 15)

However eircode can be converted to a Lo8 code which is an actual location code, and can therefore be used in an offline device.

Really we should be using Loc8 codes instead of eircodes, and that system was offered to the state for free, but that's a whole other story.

recedite wrote: »
    I don't know about that, you would have to be connected to the internet, and most normal sat navs are not.

Eircode is not a location code. It is only a reference number that looks up an online database for the actual location. You get 50 lookups free per day (I think it used to be only about 15)

The database is available to commercial GPS operators like TomTom to integrate into their own systems once they pay up, which they have done. If an Eircode is not searchable in their system that's their failing

https://www.eircode.ie/news/2018/02/16/eircode-integrated-into-tomtom-maps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I just checked on Wikipedia.

As of June 2016, there are 124 postcode areas, 2,987 postcode districts, 11,192 postcode sectors, and 1,500 post towns. Addresses receiving large volumes of mail are each assigned separate "large user" postcodes. But most postcodes are shared by several neighbouring properties, typically covering about 15 addresses.

From that it seems that Eircodes are more exact than Postcodes.

Yeh of course they are. Most people who fetish the English system (or the NHS, or postcodes) never have lived in England. Not that it’s bad it’s just that it’s not the utopia the “hand Ireland back to the queen with an apology” believers think.

The post codes in the U.K. are not per house unless you are isolated, they are per block. In cities this can be a dozen or more houses.

However eircode can be converted to a Lo8 code which is an actual location code, and can therefore be used in an offline device.

Really we should be using Loc8 codes instead of eircodes, and that system was offered to the state for free, but that's a whole other story.

If the eircode can be mapped to a location then it works the same as a Loc8. Or better. If you want location codes to be exact use longitude and latitude.

If the eircode can be mapped to a location then it works the same as a Loc8. Or better. If you want location codes to be exact use longitude and latitude.
    Loc 8 is longitude and latitude encoded in a shortened form (plus a few extra bits).
    Eircode is a random reference number.

Loc 8 is longitude and latitude encoded in a shortened form (plus a few extra bits).
    Eircode is a random reference number.

The random number is a key that looks up the actual value (the location) in a database or a hashmap. That’s how most things work in computing. The idea that that’s worse is nonsense. there is no advantage to the number having the location encapsulated in it, rather than referenced from it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Only Ireland could fck up and argue about something as simple as implementing a post code, something the rest of the world has been using without any fuss for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

Loc8 requires a proprietary app & is owned by a private company, it's substandard for those reasons.

Plus the guy who owned it came off like a whiney brat when he lost out. Total amateur hour time with him.

The database is available to commercial GPS operators like TomTom to integrate into their own systems once they pay up, which they have done. If an Eircode is not searchable in their system that's their failing

https://www.eircode.ie/news/2018/02/16/eircode-integrated-into-tomtom-maps
    From the link
    Having TomTom as an Eircode Solution Provider means that members of the public and businesses can use Eircodes within TomTom Maps on mobile phones and tablets
    But can eircodes be used on a basic TomTom satnav that is offline?
    This could only work if TomTom had plotted every single eircode onto their base map. That would require a huge amount of storage space on the device itself. And at the end of the day, what would be the point, it would be just as easy (and wasteful of storage space) to plot every single house name and/or number.
    As time goes by, digital storage capacity becomes cheaper and smaller, and less of an issue on devices. But at the same time, the trend is for storage to become cloud-based and only accessed on demand anyway, so future devices will not really need vast capacity anyway.

We could have had everyone using Loc8 codes on simple offline sat navs 10-15 years ago. But we are where we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

It's 6 number and letters, hardly much to learn, and you only need to learn your own. Everyone in our house use it all the time. Maybe a certain subset of people are just too stubborn to make the effort to memorise it.

The number of Irish people who don't know their PPSN is staggering!

Ask them to remember their Eircode as well and their brains would explode!

• Advertisement

Nobelium wrote: »
    Only Ireland could fck up and argue about something as simple as implementing a post code, something the rest of the world has been using without any fuss for generations.

Only in Ireland could produce the kind of idiot that doesn’t understand why this system works, why it is better than many other systems, but automatically use the “only in Ireland” canard.

Eircode is good and it works.

OU812 wrote: »
    Loc8 requires a proprietary app & is owned by a private company, it's substandard for those reasons.

Plus the guy who owned it came off like a whiney brat when he lost out. Total amateur hour time with him.
    However he did offer it to the state for free. Whereas the eircode fiasco was full of vested interests and lobbyists, and cost us €38 million plus ongoing fees for access to the database.

there is no advantage to the number having the location encapsulated in it, rather than referenced from it.

and lets face it from an Irish point of view, how else would you gouge a charge for it if you did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Only in Ireland could produce the kind of idiot that doesn’t understand why this system works, why it is better than many other systems, but automatically use the “only in Ireland” canard.

True. But it cost the taxpayer far too much and took far too long to implement.

The obvious point is that a reference number that looks up an online database requires a reliable internet connection. And that isn't always available. The signal could be bad, or your call credit might have run out.

The only idiot is the one that believes a simple grid reference format for a location, needs to be encrypted so they can gouge a charge for it.

Eircode works, but only with costly conditions and work arounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

However he did offer it to the state for free. Whereas the eircode fiasco was full of vested interests and lobbyists, and cost us €38 million plus ongoing fees for access to the database.

Was he going to offer it to all the mapping & GPS companies for free to? Highly doubtful.

Also, it’s extra characters & layout to eircode. It wouldn’t be used by people.

There’s an obvious upside to him offering it for free. State adopts it, he can charge through the nose to use it. Plus he’d own it & could make changes/pull it at a whim.

A zip or postal code option would have been the cheapest and simplest to implement, however, To go with LOC-8 for any reason would be a bad idea. The state made the correct decision in this case

Nobelium wrote: »
    and lets face it from an Irish point of view, how else would you gouge a charge for it if you did

Christ. If they offered it for free you’d claim that the taxpayer was being gouged. Why should the state subsidse private couriers?

Christ. If they offered it for free you’d claim that the taxpayer was being gouged. Why should the state subsidies private couriers?

Who do you think private couriers pass the charge onto, the magic sky fairies ?

Next you'll be claiming all grid references should be encrypted and charged for by the state.

• Advertisement

No he offered it to the state, so the state would have owned it.
    There would be no charges to anybody after that.
    He'd have been taken on as management/consultant, so he'd have been on the pigs back. But no more than any other high level civil service executive.

Advertisement