Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Brian? wrote: »
    thebaz wrote: »
    and I compleltly disagree - he has been our most consistent midfielder the past few years , not saying much, for various reason McCarthy has not been that.

I like Gueye a lot. He's hard working and committed, but he's limited. He's essentially the Senegalese Lee Carsley. The fact that he's been our best midfielder in his time at Everton says more about our other midfielders than it does about him as a player.
    Don't see him scoring goals in a derby though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

regarding Gueye, he has been playing for the most part in a rubbish midfield, given time with the more creative Gomes , think he will flourish . Gueye is not really a controlling midfielder , but does the dirty work needed for one to prosper.
    Can't see McCarthy ever rerturning to be a top premier league midfielder at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

thebaz wrote: »
    regarding Gueye, he has been playing for the most part in a rubbish midfield, given time with the more creative Gomes , think he will flourish . Gueye is not really a controlling midfielder , but does the dirty work needed for one to prosper.
    Can't see McCarthy ever rerturning to be a top premier league midfielder at this stage.

Some of us were of the view that he never was one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Liamalone wrote: »
    I clean forgot about McCarthy. Says it all, totally forgettable talent. Decent player but that's it, no value due to injuries though, get rid.

I saw him pop up on Twitter and thought "what club is he at now I wonder!?"

I then googled

:o

lawred2 wrote: »
    I saw him pop up on Twitter and thought "what club is he at now I wonder!?"

I then googled

:o

Everton seem to stick by injured players, rather than offload them
    maybe we're just gullible

Walcott starts

I'd like to see him deliver tonight... he gets into the right positions but doesn't seem to happen for him

Need to win tonight - would like a comfortable one as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I know it’s early in the game. But what does Bernard really do? He’s given the ball away every time he’s touched it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Walcott starts

I'd like to see him deliver tonight... he gets into the right positions but doesn't seem to happen for him

Need to win tonight - would like a comfortable one as well

really is story of Walcott career, yeah need to give Watford a good hiding

How did that go unseen?

Oh well... We've had our share go the other way

• Advertisement

Coleman :(

Edit: phew he's not dead :)

Frustrating performance

Too many of them guilty of taking too much out of the ball.. few too many touches

And the ref is a bit of a pillock

Gueye is brutal on the ball

Give McCarthy a run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Gueye is brutal on the ball

Give McCarthy a run

If only McCarthy could run!

What's the ref's problem with Richarlison?

E: and then he misses a clear foul by Mina

This is an awful performance

Watford the more likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Real headless chicken stuff.
    It'll be 1-1 shortly

Deulefeu to score

We were due

Vomit

Digne and Bernard made a right mess of that cross field ball..

We deserve to go on and lose this really

No urgency.. all out of shape... Reaction after that goal was unprofessional in the extreme

Can't say that it wasn't coming

• Advertisement

A gift from the Gods.
    Can't say we deserve it

Yeah that's about right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Brutal. So bloody predictable I have no idea why he insists on playing that formation every single game

No urgency

Everything is one paced

Even our throw ins take an eternity

All too predictable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Pathetic.

It'll be a long while before I sit down to watch another football match

Garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Sweet!

Well that's a lovely free kick but that was a seriously disappointing performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

We got a lot of luck there. I think we need to change something. It’s all a bit predictable.

At least we got a point but that was a shocker of a performance.
    Watford weren't great themselves apart from up front.

Any time we managed more than 3 passes (which was rare), we created something.

I'd be thinking of taking Sigs off penalty duty as well.

• Advertisement

Seamus is very poor

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Seamus is very poor

He wasn’t great. I wonder if he should be rested.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

He wasn’t great. I wonder if he should be rested.

Unfortunately injury has destroyed him. At 30 now he'll never be the same player and this could be his last season as first choice. Leg break like that gets in your head and can be hard to forget about it.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Unfortunately injury has destroyed him. At 30 now he'll never be the same player and this could be his last season as first choice. Leg break like that gets in your head and can be hard to forget about it.

I wondered would he come back the same player - hopefully he improves - not great last , but considering where we were 12 months ago , and the dour Sam show, its ok.

he wasn't that bad last night

not helped by either Walcott or Lookman

I think he still has a lot to offer and Jonjoe Kenny doesnt appear to be up to the task. You can’t blame him for the first last night and the second was a meltdown from the whole defense. Doucouré got the run on him, there wasn’t much he could do about that. It’s going forward thats his strength and he needs to improve but with no target to aim at it he has a thankless task.

For me, a striker is the priority and the talk is that we won’t buy one in January. Tosun just isn’t good enough.

A bit harsh on Coleman. He has been fairly decent since his comeback.
    It wasn't his best game last night but the whole team was poor

Lumbo wrote: »
    I think he still has a lot to offer and Jonjoe Kenny doesnt appear to be up to the task. You can’t blame him for the first last night and the second was a meltdown from the whole defense. Doucouré got the run on him, there wasn’t much he could do about that. It’s going forward thats his strength and he needs to improve but with no target to aim at it he has a thankless task.

For me, a striker is the priority and the talk is that we won’t buy one in January. Tosun just isn’t good enough.

Digne and Bernard made a holy bollocks of their first goal. Two of them comfortably in position to deal with the cross field ball... Bernard should have called for it and let Digne track the runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Lumbo wrote: »
    Definitely. But I don't think we'll get one in January. Having said that, given what Brands pulled off last summer, I'd have very high hopes that he'll bring in someone great next summer who will be a huge success.

• Advertisement

Digne and Bernard made a holy bollocks of their first goal. Two of them comfortably in position to deal with the cross field ball... Bernard should have called for it and let Digne track the runner.

IMO Bernard shouldn't start next week. I'd either play Lookman on the left or bring in Tosun up front and drop Richarlison to the left.

Richarlison can't hold the ball up anyway. He's a lethal finisher but loses it too often

they/them/theirs

Bernard falls over a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭wally79

IMO Bernard shouldn't start next week. I'd either play Lookman on the left or bring in Tosun up front and drop Richarlison to the left.

Richarlison can't hold the ball up anyway. He's a lethal finisher but loses it too often

If we can get a striker it’s a double win as Richarlison can get back to the wing

getting a predictable enough run around

2 points from 12

all of a sudden things not looking so smart

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

2 points from 12

Coleman came off after 57 minutes did he pick up an injury?

2 points from 12

really will be the story of this season , we are a way of the big boys , but progress after last season rubbish and I will be happy , and a new stadium becoming a reality (still think we will need Usmanov on board for this to happen , sick of these never-ending fan consultations (20 years of fan input , just build it !!!)

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »

2 points from 12

Coleman came off after 57 minutes did he pick up an injury?
    He was just poor, again
    Cannot cross a ball, and struggles to cover the space along the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Think Mina was very poor today. Don't think he'll be suited to the premier league all. Created plenty of chances today but didn't take them. Lookman needs to start a game too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

This season was always a gimme for Silva as far as I was concerned although a promising start had us hoping until we Everton'd it again. We'll still finish top 10 handily but it won't be pretty imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Think Mina was very poor today. Don't think he'll be suited to the premier league all. Created plenty of chances today but didn't take them. Lookman needs to start a game too

He screwed up badly for the first goal and never recovered - I still think he has a lot to offer though, I wouldn't write him off just yet

He screwed up badly for the first goal and never recovered - I still think he has a lot to offer though, I wouldn't write him off just yet

He was caught out against Watford as well. He’s marking space and ignoring the attacker. The room he aforded Sterling was criminal. Needs sorting out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement