Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Cabaal wrote: »
    Kilkenny has been delayed until 11th October, course will be in Kilkenny Castle grounds

Fair play for setting it up.. Am interested in the process. Why the delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Murph_D wrote: »

Think it's on this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Think it's on this weekend.

Sorry! 11th October it is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Murph_D wrote: »

am not involved in setting it up,
    Delay is apparently due to the backlog in Parkruns setting up right now, I guess they have to wait their turn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

My first Castlebar Park run today & really enjoyed it. Lovely course around Lough Lannagh, although that hill around 3k is a tester. Thanks to all the volunteers for an enjoyable morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

I am registered for Parkrun and have done some in Marly, im heading up to Belfast at the weekend and am going to do one there. Does anybody know if i have to register seperately for that or will my existing registration do.

Thanks
    EMPM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

EMPM wrote: »
    I am registered for Parkrun and have done some in Marly, im heading up to Belfast at the weekend and am going to do one there. Does anybody know if i have to register seperately for that or will my existing registration do.

existing reg is fine for any parkrun, anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

I understand Vicarstown in Laois is also due to start on Oct 11. They created a FB page a few weeks ago but no detail on it at all yet. I'm not familiar with Vicarstown at all but am told the course will either cross or run alongside the grand canal.

slingerz wrote: »
    Most unique parkrun in the world commencing at the end of August.

Bere Island parkrun takes place on August 30th!

I ran the inaugural one. Spectacular views along the course but incredibly hilly. You seem to be slowly running uphill for the first 3.5k and then there's a very steep descent.

Definitely worth a visit once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

Is Marlay Park Run short? My Garmin averages it at 4.95km. Would the forest part after the first lap have a bearing on a bad GPS signal and therefore make the course a bit short? Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

McWotever wrote: »
    Is Marlay Park Run short? My Garmin averages it at 4.95km. Would the forest part after the first lap have a bearing on a bad GPS signal and therefore make the course a bit short? Any thoughts?
    Nope. Pretty typical. Yes. Just make sure you don't take any short-cuts during the run. There are certain sections of a few of the Parkrun courses where it is quite possible to cut a corner and shorten the course. If someone ahead of you cuts the corner, you might be lead to believe that this is the official course, or might find it difficult to run the official line if other runners are taking a shorter route and blocking your path to the correct course. Happens frequently in road races too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

99% of the runners take a shortcut across the grass at the second corner in Marlay (after about 400 metres). They should be staying on the gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LiamMcC

McWotever wrote: »

Garmins and mobile phone's often measure Marlay parkrun short, we put this down to the tree cover, you will find that your Garmin will measure the course longer in winter when the leaves fall off the trees. While the course has been accurately measured and verified and is 5 km our response when asked is 'it's about 5km'.

We have moved finish line back lately to compensate for the first corner where you join the perimeter path around the concert field, which we now cut for safety reasons.

LiamMcC wrote: »
    Garmins and mobile phone's often measure Marlay parkrun short, we put this down to the tree cover, you will find that your Garmin will measure the course longer in winter when the leaves fall off the trees. While the course has been accurately measured and verified and is 5 km our response when asked is 'it's about 5km'.

We have moved finish line back lately to compensate for the first corner where you join the perimeter path around the concert field, which we now cut for safety reasons.

Good enough answer for me. The PB stands! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bisso

Same with Ardgillan, plenty of the route is on paths through the trees and there is always going to be a corner or two which could be cut. Must watch out for the course lengthening as the leaves fall off the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Question

In Dublin at the weekend and staying at the Red Cow, Relying on public transport to get around, what is the easiest parkrun to get to and how woudl i get to it i.e Luas etc?

slingerz wrote: »
    Question

In Dublin at the weekend and staying at the Red Cow, Relying on public transport to get around, what is the easiest parkrun to get to and how woudl i get to it i.e Luas etc?

Tymon Park and walking is probably the easiest way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

Looks like Tymon is about 2.5 - 3 miles from Red Cow. So, I'd agree walk/jog or taxi are the best options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's a pretty straight road from Red Cow to Tymon. When you see this T-Junction, just take a right and a left and you'll be at Tymon Park. The Parkrun starts at the opposite side of the Park though. 4km in total.

The gates to Tymon don't open until 10am and the run starts at 9:30am. They tell runners to access the park from the Basketball Arena in Tallaght and walk across the M50 footbridge.

There is probably a way into the park from St Jude's too, but they are now asking runners not to park in the GAA club.

• Advertisement

The Basketball arena car park is maybe 2 minutes further from the start line than the other car parks, and it is unused.
    The car parks at the GAA clubs and football clubs are used by those clubs. If they get pissed off at runners parking there and their members not being able to park there, they'll complain to the council and parkrun might be pulled from the park.

(the route that slingerz was directed along doesn't pass any locked gates, you can always run in from there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    The Basketball arena car park is maybe 2 minutes further from the start line than the other car parks, and it is unused.
    The car parks at the GAA clubs and football clubs are used by those clubs. If they get pissed off at runners parking there and their members not being able to park there, they'll complain to the council and parkrun might be pulled from the park.

(the route that slingerz was directed along doesn't pass any locked gates, you can always run in from there)

The Basketball arena carpark is actually the exact same distance as the GAA carparks from the startline. About 400m.

menoscemo wrote: »
    The Basketball arena carpark is actually the exact same distance as the GAA carparks from the startline. About 400m.

The real problem is that car park is on the wrong side of the M50 :-)

RayCun wrote: »
    The real problem is that car park is on the wrong side of the M50 :-)

The wrong side for yellow and green clad joggers anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Amazing run in Marlay today, seems the number of runners is growing every time.
    Wonderful day (and eventho I didn't cut a single corner, still 4.96 😅) and very supportive volunteers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

That's actually a low number for MARLAY.

???
    PVincent wrote: »
    That's actually a low number for MARLAY.

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    ???

:confused::confused::confused:
    He means there are normally more participants I would assume.

menoscemo wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:
    He means there are normally more participants I would assume.

Most I've seen this year... anyhow, great day today

• Advertisement

Kilkenny page is now live on the parkrun website. One small lap of the grass area in front of the castle followed by two laps of the outer loop through the forested area. October 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Hi All - Just to share some parkrun news Matt has confirmed today that there is a new parkrun starting this October in Vicarstown
    see event update here : http://www.parkrun.ie/news/

Vicarstown is pencilled in to start on Oct 11, the same day as Kilkenny. I hope they stagger the inaugural runs in the end, as I'd like to do both. While there has been a lot of talk about Kilkenny, not much has been said about Vicarstown, which gives me hope that the start date will be later.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Just registered this morning with parkrun.

Has anyone bought the tags from here

Looks a bit handier to have a tag on my key instead of a laminated piece of paper

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've ordered the barcodes from that site, there are other barcode options but that site you linked does give a portion of the fee towards parkrun as well. They are dead handy and I just have one on my house keys and the car keys so that I've always got a barcode with me however I happen to have made my way to the parkrun.

I have found the barcode to start to wear off after a while of bouncing around in the pocket with my keys, but they are still scanning OK at the moment, and it's only a couple of quid anyway.

Thanks for the reply robinph. I ordered the 3 pack of tags for just under €5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Am I missing something? http://www.parkrun-barcode.org.uk/ only seem to ship to the UK, although they have a full country list it seems to be greyed out.

I know i could use parcel motel but will they ship to Ireland without this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I thought they had sorted that and would ship to Ireland now, or people had got round it with using a fake postcode for somewhere in Belfast. I've just ordered for genuine UK delivery though.

These are the latest thing parkrun wristbands but they're only available locally in South Africa :( . Apparently, all of these official suppliers are supposed to only operate in their own country because a donation per purchase goes specifically to that country's parkrun org.

Oh I like that wrist band version.

Makes sense that they are restricting it to each country seeing as the donations from the "official" suppliers goes towards that countries funds.

I have to say the wristbands from tenbits are the best solution to the barcode problem- using mine for months now and it always scans perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 bisso

A portion of the profits go to parkrun all right but as they are a UK company the profits go to parkrun UK. parkrun Ireland are working on their own deal/supplier with profits going to parkrun Ireland. The tags and wristbands are very handy all right and save all the hassle we get with soggy and worn barcodes (not worth thinking too much about that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Registered back in March but still haven't attended a run yet. Need to get involved. Just order a tag / card with barcode on it. Might try do Marlay on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Amigaman wrote: »
    I have to say the wristbands from tenbits are the best solution to the barcode problem- using mine for months now and it always scans perfectly

Oh, I like that!

shame they only deliver to SA...that said I am in SA in the new year visiting friends. I may order it a few weeks before I head over! (unless some Irish entrepreneur wants to set up shop!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

bisso wrote: »
    A portion of the profits go to parkrun all right but as they are a UK company the profits go to parkrun UK. parkrun Ireland are working on their own deal/supplier with profits going to parkrun Ireland. The tags and wristbands are very handy all right and save all the hassle we get with soggy and worn barcodes (not worth thinking too much about that!)

Hopefully we can get an irish version soon. for an appropraiate fee they would be ideal

Cabaal wrote: »
    Am I missing something? http://www.parkrun-barcode.org.uk/ only seem to ship to the UK, although they have a full country list it seems to be greyed out.

I know i could use parcel motel but will they ship to Ireland without this?

I used my parcel motel address for delivery Cabaal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Big news for parkrun its the first step in parkrun laying the foundations for the future

Will hopefully help me keep my higher %'age Wiggle discount as well. :)

...and here is the Wiggle parkrun store:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/parkrun/

Free delivery to Ireland it seems. So, no need for any parcelmotel tricks, which would mean Ireland not getting recognition for the sale anyway. I think the range of stock is limited to start with, and will be expanded over time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement