Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Assistant

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Pretty happy with life360 so far. It's been running on my phone for the last week or so and i've not noticed a difference in battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I likey. I do miss a few things, but its early days. I can add those things in yet.

Things I miss:
    - tapping on an entity gave me all the info about it (history graphs, colour wheels for light bulbs etc). Now i've nice quick on/off 1 touch entities in lovelace, but the other night I wanted to change the colour of a bulb and I had to use the hue app. It's a learning curve though, and lovelace makes it so simple to update the UI.

If you use the button card this will give you those functions, it is what I use for Hue and Hive bulbs.button_card.JPG

Still playing around with Lovelace so a bit to go yet but some nice cards to play around with.

THE ALM wrote: »
    If you use the button card this will give you those functions, it is what I use for Hue and Hive bulbs.button_card.JPG

Still playing around with Lovelace so a bit to go yet but some nice cards to play around with.

Ah yeah. Easy out of the box with lovelace too. I have my tap_action set to "toggle", which I like, but then sometimes I also like to have full control. I'm so hard to please.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

THE ALM wrote: »

I'm really new to HA & lovelace. I'm always on the look out for examples though so any chance you'd share your lovelace config? I'm very much in the copy, paste & tweak phase at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

In the market for a NAS an I see the likes of the QNAP range you can install Home Assistant on them via a container.

anyone here using similar?

QNAP also have a native IOT manager application available

• Advertisement

garion wrote: »
    I'm really new to HA & lovelace. I'm always on the look out for examples though so any chance you'd share your lovelace config? I'm very much in the copy, paste & tweak phase at the moment!

If im good, i'll push my latest to my git repo this evening/night. If im bad, i'll forget. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

garion wrote: »

I have a simple setup with the button card.

If you haven't started with lovelace and are running hass.io then a good way to start is by using the lovelace migration plugin. The will create a ui-lovelace.yaml file for you which you can then play around with.

You want to download the button-card from the link I posted and put it in the www folder of you home assistant, then in the ui-lovelace.yaml file you will want to reference this. So mine has a few different resources and looks like this:

resources:
    - url: /local/mini-media-player-bundle.js?v=0.9.3
    type: module
    - url: /local/custom-lovelace/swipe-card/swipe-card.js?v=1.0
    type: js
    - url: /local/custom-lovelace/thermostat-card/thermostat-card.js?v=1
    - url: /local/button-card.js

I use the button-card at the minute mainly for lighting so e.g.

title: Hue
    cards:
    - id:
    type: custom:button-card
    entity: light.floor_light
    icon: mdi:lightbulb-on-outline
    color: auto
    name: Floor Light
    action: more_info
    - id:
    type: custom:button-card
    entity: light.table_light
    icon: mdi:lightbulb-on-outline
    color: auto
    name: Table Light

you will want to change the entity to match yours. My ui-lovelace.yaml file is a bit all over the place at the minute as I play around with a few things so will need a bit of a clean up before I could make it public :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I got around to installing Ubuntu on the spare laptop over the weekend only to find that I can't get Docker to install because it's got a 32 bit processor. Looking at other options I see the below posted in BA, which might be of interest to some.
    tryfix wrote: »
    4-in-1 Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ + Acrylic Case + Cooling Fan + Heatsink Kit

Special Price €37.77

https://www.zapals.com/4-in-1-raspberry-pi-3-model-b-acrylic-case-cooling-fan-heatsink-kit.html

A nice little piece of kit from China with the latest 3 b+ model and there's a 3.5" touch screen add on below for €9.43.

3.5-inch LCD Touch Screen with Stylus Pen for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

https://www.zapals.com/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-3-5-inch-lcd-touch-screen-with-stylus-pen-hd-1920x1080.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Damnit. I just rebuild my install with a new SD card and the new one is not booting now. It must be the board that is causing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Hi All,

I recently switched my HA setup from a Raspberry Pi to a NUC with docker. So far I'm loving the experience but I spent all of yesterday trying to add a new zwave device and got nowhere. Now it could be the device (Fibaro Sensor - of which I have two already) but I don't think it is.

I have made sure to pass the Z Wave USB stick to docker and point to the correct place in the config file and it successfully communicates with and controls all my existing devices so it must be substantially working but it just will not talk to the new device. I only have one new one here and I'm not going to delete one of the working ones to try to re-add it!

If anyone has had a similar experience let me know.

I want to troubleshoot the issue a few different ways - the way I always did this with the RPi was to have a "working" SD card with the current set up on it and a testing card to play around with. I assume I can do something similar by having two different containers in docker - i.e. a stable container and a working container. My entire docker knowledge is gleaned from the net in the past few weeks so it is limited! Could anyone lay out the steps they might take in a similar circumstance?

Thanks lads, love this thread. I realise reddit is there and the HA forums but I like the vibe here!!

• Advertisement

Hi All,

I recently switched my HA setup from a Raspberry Pi to a NUC with docker. So far I'm loving the experience but I spent all of yesterday trying to add a new zwave device and got nowhere. Now it could be the device (Fibaro Sensor - of which I have two already) but I don't think it is.

I have made sure to pass the Z Wave USB stick to docker and point to the correct place in the config file and it successfully communicates with and controls all my existing devices so it must be substantially working but it just will not talk to the new device. I only have one new one here and I'm not going to delete one of the working ones to try to re-add it!

If anyone has had a similar experience let me know.

I want to troubleshoot the issue a few different ways - the way I always did this with the RPi was to have a "working" SD card with the current set up on it and a testing card to play around with. I assume I can do something similar by having two different containers in docker - i.e. a stable container and a working container. My entire docker knowledge is gleaned from the net in the past few weeks so it is limited! Could anyone lay out the steps they might take in a similar circumstance?

Thanks lads, love this thread. I realise reddit is there and the HA forums but I like the vibe here!!

I've no clue of Zwave, but there's a home assistant discord channel specifically for zwave:
    https://discordapp.com/channels/330944238910963714/332357267364249621
    They're super helpful there any time i've asked anything.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The latest HA update focuses mainly on UI improvement, UI can be edited on the fly which is great. Downside is all my scripts stopped working because they've decided to change slightly how it works :(

The latest HA update focuses mainly on UI improvement, UI can be edited on the fly which is great. Downside is all my scripts stopped working because they've decided to change slightly how it works :(

Automatons using minutes hours seconds all broke. And some be mqtt JSON extraction I was doing started rightly complaining at me, so it's not all negative.

Their breaking changes page in the blog is quite handy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Automatons using minutes hours seconds all broke. And some be mqtt JSON extraction I was doing started rightly complaining at me, so it's not all negative.

Their breaking changes page in the blog is quite handy.

Yeah I read it after updating. Most of my stuff is back up running again but gotta knock heads on some of the other stuff mainly because I forgot how I wrote it in the first place :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Hi all,

I'm having trouble integrating HA and my xiaomi philips zhirui bulbs..

I'm stuck on extracting the specific token for the bulbs...

I've seen a few techniques on Reddit but my head is melted from a few.

Anyone got any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

For the Teckin Sp23 Power Monitoring sockets that regularly on offer on Amazon UK, use this Wiki entry to use them with Tasmota and HA

https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/wiki/Teckin-SP23

I flashed two and no issues

Join Ireland Weather Network

With Sensor setup it is possible to get the power usage. I do need to calibrate mine

NpDlwN6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Jumping on this train now - just picked up a Rasperry Pi 3 B+ and installed Home Assistant last night.

Anyone setup broadlink with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Jumping on this train now - just picked up a Rasperry Pi 3 B+ and installed Home Assistant last night.

Anyone setup broadlink with this?

Haven't gotten round to it yet but planning on using the below video to setup my Broadlink RM mini

Finally got a few hours to sit down and configure my NUC to run Docker & Hassio yesterday.

I got my Xiaomi Miija Devices all set up and working ( Temp & Humidity Sensors, Door & Window Sensors, Motion Sensors, Smoke Detector and a Switch ).

All working and reading back nicely, customized and grouped together.

Problem Number 1:
    Still attempting to locate the token for the Yeelights proved a bit beyond the time I had allowed so after a number of different of attempts form what I found on Google I left it for the time being.

Problem Number 2:
    Having purchased the Teckin Smart Plugs from the Flash Amazon sales I flashed them with Tasmota. I installed the MQTT Broker plugin on HASSIO and setup the plugs to match. However no success with Auto-Discovery. After much googling I tried another option, I set up a Cloud MQTT Broker. I configured the plugs and could see them on the Broker – however again they were not showing up on my Home Assistant.

This is what is in my configuration.yaml:

[PHP]mqtt:
    broker: xxxxxxx
    port: xxxxxxxxx
    username: xxxxxxx
    password: xxxxxx [/PHP]

From what I’ve read the plugs should automatically show in the Integrations MQTT in Configuation?

I’ve also tried placing this in my configuration.yaml but to no success:

[PHP]switch:
    platform: mqtt
    name: “Sonoff1”
    command_topic: “cmnd/sonoff1/power”
    state_topic: “stat/sonoff1/POWER”
    qos: 1
    payload_on: “ON”
    payload_off: “OFF”
    retain: true[/PHP]

If I do get this connected, how do I customize similar to my Xiaomi Sensors? for example, in my customize.yaml file the Xiaomi Sensors are:
    sensor.temperature_158d00016fdxxx:
      friendly_name: Kitchen Temperature
    sensor.humidity_158d00016fdxxx:
      friendly_name: Kitchen Humidity
      icon: mdi:water-percent
    binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_158d000xxxxxx:
        friendly_name: Kitchen Door
        device_class: opening

I suspect I've a few more evenings scratching my head and getting dirty looks from herself!

• Advertisement

If only I read "thecivvie" post above before I posted......

Newtown90 wrote: »
    If only I read "thecivvie" post above before I posted......

I run ecilpse mosquitto on my docker. that way I limit access to it via my vpn tunnel, also on the same docker for outside nework devices.
    mqtt:
      broker: !secret mqtt_broker
      port: 1883
      username: !secret mqtt_user
      password: !secret mqtt_pass

Sonoff as a device
     - platform: mqtt
       name: "Cabinet"
       state_topic: "stat/sonoff15/POWER"
       command_topic: "cmnd/sonoff15/POWER"
       availability_topic: "tele/sonoff15/LWT"
       payload_on: "ON"
       payload_off: "OFF"
       payload_available: "Online"
       payload_not_available: "Offline"
       optimistic: false
       qos: 1
       retain: true

Sensors
        name: "Cabinet Energy Today"
        state_topic: "tele/sonoff15/SENSOR"
        value_template: '{{ value_json["ENERGY"]["Today"] }}'
        unit_of_measurement: "kWh"
        name: "Cabinet Energy Yesterday"
        value_template: '{{ value_json["ENERGY"]["Yesterday"] }}'
        name: "Cabinet Energy Total"
        value_template: '{{ value_json["ENERGY"]["Total"] }}'
        name: "Cabinet Power"
        value_template: '{{ value_json["ENERGY"]["Power"] }}'
        unit_of_measurement: "W"
        name: "Cabinet Voltage"
        value_template: '{{ value_json["ENERGY"]["Voltage"] }}'
        unit_of_measurement: "V"
        name: "Cabinet Power Factor"
        value_template: '{{ value_json["ENERGY"]["Factor"] }}'

I graph the data using influxdb and Grafana as well

2JhGyse.png

Dog Bowl is my dog's water fountain. The Teckin smart socket turns it on in the morning and off at night

I have spent many sleepless nights getting it to how I want.

Worryingly I added my Netatmo weather station to the system and found my house has a problem

AJk9jK7.png

I have, so far, 17 sonoff enabled devices. I am ordering 4 more of the Teckin Smart Plugs today as they on a lightning deal

They all go in your configuration.yaml correct?

Newtown90 wrote: »
    They all go in your configuration.yaml correct?

no, mine is broken up.

Sensors in a sensor.yaml, switches, lights and so on. I have also merge_dirs as well for heavier yaml files that get broken up, like my automations.

But yes it is possible to put them all into configuration.yaml

my include setup
    group: !include_dir_merge_named group
    automation: !include_dir_merge_list automations/
    script: !include scripts.yaml
    sensor: !include sensors.yaml
    light: !include_dir_merge_list light/
    switch: !include switch.yaml
    camera: !include_dir_merge_list camera
    scene: !include_dir_merge_list scene
    binary_sensor: !include  binary_sensor.yaml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Just adding this Github repo i've been recently looking at for an alarm system. works well, obv it's for a specific model / make of alarm, but i've yet to see it catered for any where else. Docker image included there also ..

https://github.com/lucacalcaterra/risco-mqtt-bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    Just adding this Github repo i've been recently looking at for an alarm system. works well, obv it's for a specific model / make of alarm, but i've yet to see it catered for any where else. Docker image included there also ..

https://github.com/lucacalcaterra/risco-mqtt-bridge

Looks good. I've recently gotten the konnected interface panel to get states from my HKC alarm. But unfortunately haven't had a chance to install yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just installed Hass on a Mac Mini and I can get the server running, create and account, and log in. However, there is a page that asks about location and when I try to click the next button on this page it pops up a dialog box saying "FAIL".

Anyone else ever come across this? An internet search isn't throwing up anything useful. Looking at the network tab it doesn't seem to be doing anything when I click the next button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Just installed Hass on a Mac Mini and I can get the server running, create and account, and log in. However, there is a page that asks about location and when I try to click the next button on this page it pops up a dialog box saying "FAIL".

Anyone else ever come across this? An internet search isn't throwing up anything useful. Looking at the network tab it doesn't seem to be doing anything when I click the next button.

The logs are accessible via the GUI if you're not comfortable with the CLI on the Mac.
    Clear the logs. Click the location thing, then go back to the logs again.
    Guessing it's a permissions thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I just got some Teckin SP23s and would like to get them working in Home Assistant but seems it's a bit more complicated than I hoped.
    Can I use the Raspberry Pi I have running Hass.io to flash them? And after they are flashed can I still use them in Alexa or only in Home Assistant?
    And finally I need something like this to calibrate them afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

mcgovern wrote: »
    Can I use the Raspberry Pi I have running Hass.io to flash them?

Yes and No . You can try tuya OTA or Via Serial from a laptop / computer

https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-Tasmota/wiki/Teckin-SP23
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vjpcEedEBI
    And after they are flashed can I still use them in Alexa or only in Home Assistant?
    If you have the Home assistant module added to alexa you can, assuming you then have the devices in Home asssitant.
    And finally I need something like this to calibrate them afterwards?
    Possibly, but you could plug in a new 60 watt bulb and a light maybe . might provide the same info ? kinda, maybe not really tho ..

Advertisement