Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Assistant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

Wossack wrote: »
    you set up the zwave - usb binding using udev rules?

Yep had that done, but initially it seemed to disappear occasionally on restarting HA.
    However, since then it shows up without fail.

paulbok wrote: »
    Cheers for that.
    I've run the Get command for /api/key/sensors but I'm getting a long unique ID for lux & temp sensors, eg, [PHP]"uniqueid": "**:**:**:**:**:01:81:90-02-0406",[/PHP], the motion sensor has a text string for the id.
    Is there another step to getting a short id like you have eg 22?

Got it, it was the number in inverted quotes at the beginning of each sensor information

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Selling off my HA gear if people are on here. I found it wasn't stable enough for me.

Aoetec sensor, z wave usb, pi I guess?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Selling off my HA gear if people are on here. I found it wasn't stable enough for me.

Aoetec sensor, z wave usb, pi I guess?

What wasn't stable for you?
    I gave up on using a pi, couldn't get a stable power supply on one. Got a refurbished pc for €60 and installed it on that and have had no such issues.
    Can't recall any HA crashes that wasn't a result of errors on the config file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Yeah I have mine in docker on a hp proliant microserver gives much better performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Got a refurbished pc for €60 and installed it on that and have had no such issues.

Would you have any suggestions on where I might look for something like that? Or what sort of spec I would need? Presumably not much.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Would you have any suggestions on where I might look for something like that? Or what sort of spec I would need? Presumably not much.

I tell a lie, it was €85 off a chap in Parkwest off adverts.ie,
    More than enough for HA, I'm going to move my Plex server on to it as well.
    In hindsight I would have gone for a smaller sized PC with similar specs because of space restrictions where I have it kept.

Partioned, and installed Ubuntu on it. As with High Horse, installed HA on docker, followed BurnsHA on YouTube for guidance. Set the PC to auto boot once power is on so if there is a power cut it'll restart itself.

Refurbished Dell Optiplex 745 PC Desktop Computer SFF Fast Intel Dual Core / C2D E4600 2.4Ghz, 4 GB Ram, Hard Drive 160GB, Intel Graphics, Windows 7 Pro, DVD/CDRW, 8 x USB, VGA Port

Now that I have my Smartthings hub working again, I've tried to integrate its sensors to HA, but no data coming through yet.
    I'm fairly sure I have the Mosquitto broker working, was able to send a test message between two terminal windows.
    Have the mqtt bridge setup in Smartthings and that looks to be communicating with the ST hub.
    However after setting up the sensors on Home Assistant, they are showing no data so I think I've missed a step somewhere.
    Has anyone got Smartthings setup successfully?
    Is there a way to test comms between the broker and the bridge?
    These are my last components to import so really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Yeah I have mine in docker on a hp proliant microserver gives much better performance

Running mine on a Dell 2950 VM atm but the noise is too much lol

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I bought a harmony elite a week ago and only getting around to setting it all up now. Have all devices connected to it and activities set up. Main reason I got it was so I could use Google Home (voice command) the tv but now Google is telling me harmony can't be used in my location/language. How do I get around this?

• Advertisement

I bought a harmony elite a week ago and only getting around to setting it all up now. Have all devices connected to it and activities set up. Main reason I got it was so I could use Google Home (voice command) the tv but now Google is telling me harmony can't be used in my location/language. How do I get around this?

Set your Google Home to USA region. I always use USA on all move as there are lots more features plus it's their test market for most new features.

Although the harmony integration is not working very well at the moment. Harmony updated and broke lots of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Set your Google Home to USA region. I always use USA on all move as there are lots more features plus it's their test market for most new features.

Would this not affect scenes I have set up for when I arrive near home?

Would this not affect scenes I have set up for when I arrive near home?

Nope, the only change you'll notice is the American voice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

I was looking through your Github and I like the idea of having all my config on Github so that I will always have access to it and proper version control.

I have a question about API keys and passwords that I was hoping you could help me with. It looks like anywhere you need one you have a "!secret" followed by the name of the password. Is this "!secret" a macro that points to a specific file that you store locally which has all your API keys/passwords or do you need to manually replace these values on your machine which runs HA?

Thanks

b.gud wrote: »
    I was looking through your Github and I like the idea of having all my config on Github so that I will always have access to it and proper version control.

I have a question about API keys and passwords that I was hoping you could help me with. It looks like anywhere you need one you have a "!secret" followed by the name of the password. Is this "!secret" a macro that points to a specific file that you store locally which has all your API keys/passwords or do you need to manually replace these values on your machine which runs HA?

Thanks

He has redacted the secrets.yaml file for GitHub.
    # Use this file to store secrets like usernames and passwords.
    # Learn more at https://home-assistant.io/docs/configuration/secrets/
    http_password: mypass
    api_password: myotherpass
    email_address: myemail@gmail.com

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

He has redacted the secrets.yaml file for GitHub.
    # Use this file to store secrets like usernames and passwords.
    # Learn more at https://home-assistant.io/docs/configuration/secrets/
    http_password: mypass
    api_password: myotherpass
    email_address: myemail@gmail.com

Exactly. I add those files I don't want to share to my .gitignore file, and git doesn't track them then.
    Need to do a push though, i've since moved to using lovelace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭b.gud

Thanks for the info folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

i've since moved to using lovelace.

You likey?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

My sdcard died last week so I've to do a reinstall. I've a config snapshot from March which should get me most of what I need to reconfigure but I think I'll be more rigorous on backups from now on.

You likey?

I likey. I do miss a few things, but its early days. I can add those things in yet.

Things I miss:
    - tapping on an entity gave me all the info about it (history graphs, colour wheels for light bulbs etc). Now i've nice quick on/off 1 touch entities in lovelace, but the other night I wanted to change the colour of a bulb and I had to use the hue app. It's a learning curve though, and lovelace makes it so simple to update the UI.
    - I had a pretty good non-lovelace UI setup for myself to begin with. I had groups of people/automations/rooms/lights so I could add/remove from that list and that list would be updated anywhere that group was used. Lovelace doesn't let me throw an existing group into a card and have it display all those entities.
    - I've not looked into it, but i'm not sure does lovelace let me position cards myself, it tries, but I'd like to position cards myself.

Things I like:
    - After a short learning curve, I can update the look of my UI in minutes, no restarts required. So simple, but such a big deal
    - The custom thermostat card (https://github.com/ciotlosm/custom-lovelace/tree/master/thermostat-card). I've created my own thermostat using temperature sensors and a sonoff, so this is a nice UI to put in front of it all.
    - Less clutter - I've a few glace cards with 5 entities across them, where previously this would of been 5 separate rows.
    - Copy paste - So much of my lovelace config has just been copy paste from one room to another, and change a few entity names.
    - Everything is configurable, so any complaints I have above regarding missing info is my own doing, and I can configure it to work for me.

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    My sdcard died last week so I've to do a reinstall. I've a config snapshot from March which should get me most of what I need to reconfigure but I think I'll be more rigorous on backups from now on.

Definitely. Failing SD cards, and a corrupt Linux OS have taught me that lesson. Backup to dropbox or something even

matrim wrote: »

Must look for an auto backup add-on, would be ideal to set it to back itself up say every Saturday night.

Must look for an auto backup add-on, would be ideal to set it to back itself up say every Saturday night.

Look into docker, it means your software is completely disposable and OS neutral. I've my config directory mounted in the docker container from a raid 1 array. Updating is a simple as deleting the container and pulling down a fresh image

Look into docker, it means your software is completely disposable and OS neutral. I've my config directory mounted in the docker container from a raid 1 array. Updating is a simple as deleting the container and pulling down a fresh image

and remembering your docker run command with all the -v params for your config, letsencrypt etc etc.
    I just checked my terminal history... it's not there. :( :rolleyes:

and remembering your docker run command with all the -v params for your config, letsencrypt etc etc.
    I just checked my terminal history... it's not there. :( :rolleyes:

Not at all :p
    All covered using docker-compose
    https://docs.docker.com/compose/

Not at all :p
    All covered using docker-compose
    https://docs.docker.com/compose/

I really should of twigged using docker-compose much MUCH sooner

In other news, i've gotten a bit sick of owntracks being flakey and leaving my wife (or I) set to "home" when we're out and about. My own device tracking is my home/away for our heating so it's costing money at the end of the day.
    Going to try out life360 and see if that's much of an improvement

In other news, i've gotten a bit sick of owntracks being flakey and leaving my wife (or I) set to "home" when we're out and about. My own device tracking is my home/away for our heating so it's costing money at the end of the day.
    Going to try out life360 and see if that's much of an improvement

I'm using SNMP on my Mikrotik router and it's a great job, updates within 30 secs of our phones connecting to WiFi
    https://www.home-assistant.io/components/device_tracker.snmp/

I'm using SNMP on my Mikrotik router and it's a great job, updates within 30 secs of our phones connecting to WiFi
    https://www.home-assistant.io/components/device_tracker.snmp/

I use wifi detection too, but there's the odd blackspot in my house (come on ubiquiti, reduce that price) so it would end up triggering automations on/off too quickly (or if someone decides to turn on/off their wifi). I've previously compensated for this by adding waits to my automation (wait 10 minutes after everyone is away before turning off lights/heating etc). I'll likely keep that though, for times we have guests staying over and both my wife and I are out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I use wifi detection too, but there's the odd blackspot in my house (come on ubiquiti, reduce that price) so it would end up triggering automations on/off too quickly (or if someone decides to turn on/off their wifi). I've previously compensated for this by adding waits to my automation (wait 10 minutes after everyone is away before turning off lights/heating etc). I'll likely keep that though, for times we have guests staying over and both my wife and I are out.

Could you try a mix of WiFi and Bluetooth. That works for me.

Advertisement