Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the verge of purchasing a boat from the U.K.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Jeff2 wrote: »
    The dun laoghaire turkey shoot race should be on soon so might be best to keep that in mind if going there.

I' say now for the rest of the year any trips out with the family will be just down to Howth or up and around Lambay Island, Skerries etc.. The son is only 3 1/2, so its going to be very gently done for a while (I just want to get him used to being on board initially, and anything more than 60-90 minutes, he'd start getting bored).
    Howth is a lovely distance for him. We motored down with a light breeze on the nose, and ended ended up motoring back as well as the wind was forecasted to pick up later in the afternoon and I didn't want to be out in it, plus there were boats racing so I didn't want to interfere with them in any way.

If I do end up going around to Dun Laoghaire (with my brother or some friends), and the fleet were out racing, I'd just head there roughly via the Poolbeg lighthouse, skirting around the racing boys. (I did a fair bit of Sigma 33 racing out of Dun Laoghaire years ago, so know how congested the bay can get).

It was gas on Saturday, as we were passing the various boats prepping for their race, and when they were racing, my lad was getting more and more into waving at them all, and if anyone didn't see us, he yelled out at the top of his voice "HIIIYA", to which everyone then turned around and he got lots of waves!! He was delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rising_damp

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Did you bottom out the question of whether there is a VAT-paid record/invoice or does ownwership go far enough back to be included in the Revenue definition of VAT compliance? Im thinking it might become quite important (as in closer inspections) for sailing in French and other EU waters post Brexit.

Hello, I'm thick, bad at maths and bad at tax, so excuse me if I'm asking naive and silly questions.
    I'm trying to buy a wide beam narrowboat from the UK. Probably an unfitted sailaway shell is all I can afford. I'm just wondering what type of VAT and import duty I'd have to pay on it?

Hypothetically say:
    wide beam narrowboat €50,000
    haulage €4000

Using this website customsdutyfree . com/duty-calculator/ I got:
    VAT (vat rate * (Customs duty+CIF+other taxes if applicable)) : €12512
    which seems like SO much!!

Is it better value to buy a used boat or is it the same? Could I import it to Fermanagh and have it launched up there and not pay the large duty? Will Brexit affect this?

Any info appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Nancy Bet?

Correct !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hello, I'm thick, bad at maths and bad at tax, so excuse me if I'm asking naive and silly questions.
    I'm trying to buy a wide beam narrowboat from the UK. Probably an unfitted sailaway shell is all I can afford. I'm just wondering what type of VAT and import duty I'd have to pay on it?

Hypothetically say:
    haulage €4000

Is it better value to buy a used boat or is it the same?

If you buy a used boat, and the VAT is already paid in the E.U. then you will have no more VAT liabilities on if if you bring it to Ireland.

If buying a new boat in the U.K., if its cheaper to pay the VAT in Ireland, then you could do that, if cheaper in the U.K. then pay it there, either way, VAT will need to be paid somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hypothetically say:
    haulage €4000

Is it better value to buy a used boat or is it the same? Could I import it to Fermanagh and have it launched up there and not pay the large duty? Will Brexit affect this?

Any info appreciated!

Some good info here:

https://myisa.sailing.ie/en-ie/cruising/boatowners/vat.aspx

You can call ISA for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

In reference to used widebeams, or Fatboats (as in, not Narrowboats):).

For a limited time around 2004-7, some UK narrowboat builders misinterpreted the VAT rules concerning liveaboards as opposed to pleasure craft (namely widebeams) and did not charge the tax on a few boats. This situation was fairly quickly resolved and it only concerned a few boats so in the main all Narrowboats etc should have had the VAT paid. But definitely worth double checking.

If the barge was being sold by a VAT registered company such as in a ex hire fleet sale, there might be a VAT element in the price

Advertisement