Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the verge of purchasing a boat from the U.K.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I suspect this thread will be put to bed shortly as the "On the verge..." element of the story has now reached Journey's end.

For me, this thread exemplifies one of the principal benefits of social media, i.e. the ability of complete strangers to interact in a non- confrontational shared experience. Many ppl contributed here and there was none of the ould oneupmanship and vitriolic claptrap that often permeates threads. Instead, lots of ppl tried to help ABB with advice and help and (probably seems strange given the anonymity) genuine concern for his purchase and subsequent journey.

Fair play to ABB for sharing so much with us. He gave us a chance for sharing his dream and watching that dream be turned into reality. Being able to share his dream vicariously was great, and no doubt we all wish him and his future crews many years of safe and exilirating sailing in the future. Once he can get Her Indoors to jettison the stilettos before she steps on-board, they'll have many happy days (and nights ??) on there..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Cheers Tom.

I certainly got some good & useful advice from the good folk on this thread, and at the same time, it's a nice log to have of the events leading up to buying the boat as well as sailing her home.

I've already had herself and the young lad out for a short sail last Saturday, out around Lambay Island and back to Malahide and they both seemed to enjoy it (not a lot of wind and the sun shining helped). She helmed the boat from Lambay all the way back to the marina berth at Malahide (with about 2-3 kts of tide flowing through the berth), and seemed to take interest in me explaining the various marks we passed (cardinal & channel marks) on the way back and how we need to interact with them. We also picked up a few weather forecasts & small craft warnings, so she's understanding more and more how it all works (example: small craft warning for high winds later on the Saturday of last week, so I explained that if we were doing a distance sail that day, we'd be making sure to be in somewhere sheltered safely before the high winds arrived).

She's already got a few pairs of Dubarry's from 2012 (I was working Galway direction so used to regularly visit the Dubarry factory store), so the stiletto's were already ditched (me planting seeds back in 2012!!).

Next up is hopefully a trip around to Dun Laoghaire (or Poolbeg) this weekend.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Next up is hopefully a trip around to Dun Laoghaire (or Poolbeg) this weekend.

Looking at windguru, go Saturday!

Heeling will be your next challenge!!!

Had herself out (that's my wife....not yours! :pac:) a couple of weeks ago. Great sailing day (for me) and boat was healed approx. 15 degrees.

Herself thought she was going to die! Persistent screaming and consideration given by her to a) issuing mayday on vhf, and/or b) setting off distress flare! :p

She has not been back on boat since!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looking at windguru, go Saturday!

Heeling will be your next challenge!!!

Had herself out (that's my wife....not yours! :pac:) a couple of weeks ago. Great sailing day (for me) and boat was healed approx. 15 degrees.

Herself thought she was going to die! Persistent screaming and consideration given by her to a) issuing mayday on vhf, and/or b) setting off distress flare! :p

She has not been back on boat since!

The world is divided into people who accept that a keelboat will not capsize, and those who will never, ever EVER believe it!

Congrats on the new arrival, OP, hope to see you over in DL sometime racing in C3 :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The world is divided into people who accept that a keelboat will not capsize, and those who will never, ever EVER believe it!

:P

I have tried my best to explain the science/physics of it....but no....

• Advertisement

:P

I have tried my best to explain the science/physics of it....but no....

I'd say just show her the boat out of the water, as well as pictures of many boats out of the water (especially ones with big f**k off bulb keels).

11139-000001504-7f9a_Hugo-Boss-keel-walk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

You did very well to get out and back with herself , without having to call on a crew, just don't get over ambitious and turn her off for life by being hasty, like DOCARCH above , but then again some lads would regard it as a big win to turn the missus off boating for life ! Not casting aspersions or anything, on any parties around here.

Last Saturday was grand, only about 5-8 kts of wind on the beam out to Lambay, and I only unfurled the headsail. We motored back as the wind was even lighter.

Things got a little choppy on the far side of the island and the little fella went below to lie down (I thought he'd be sick, but he was grand), but once we turned back south for Malahide and the wind died it was calm again and all were well.

It'll probably be similar again tomorrow depending on wind. Around to Dublin Bay to visit Dun Laoghaire most likely, though i'd like to get the main up as well (its got lazy jacks, not not a huge deal getting it up & down). My brother might meet us for the return leg back to Malahide. He's been away from sailing for as long as I have, but he raced a lot in his youth (King 1 & a Jeanneau Fun both out of Poolbeg for a good few years), as well as working out in the INSS as an instructor like myself.

Malahide to Howth (for lunch) and back might be a nice second trip?

Malahide to DunLaoghaire is a min. 3 hour trip (in 'good' conditions, i.e. decent wind and tide with you), then another 3 hours back? Might be testing for new 'crew'?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just mind the depths at Howth, similar silting issues as Malahide.

Do an overnighter to DL and take the family up the town for food, drinks etc. Introduce the lifestyle angle. Some good weather forecast for September.

• Advertisement

Malahide to Howth (for lunch) and back might be a nice second trip?

Malahide to DunLaoghaire is a min. 3 hour trip (in 'good' conditions, i.e. decent wind and tide with you), then another 3 hours back? Might be testing for new 'crew'?

True, and with the tides, we won't be leaving until about 11:30-12, so it'd be after 6 when we got back!!, so it might indeed be a little bit too far for the 2nd trip!

Howth might be a better option, perhaps out past the Bailey first to see the Bay, tie up for a few hours, fish n chips & an ice cream, and then a nice sail back to base.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Do an overnighter to DL and take the family up the town for food, drinks etc. Introduce the lifestyle angle. Some good weather forecast for September.

I was thinking Greystones could be a good first overnighter, but perhaps Dun Laoghaire could be the better option, although I'm not sure if it would happen this year or not, however a good spell of weather would help make it happen this year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Greystones is another 2/3 hours south of DL, break them in gently ;)

Greystones is another 2/3 hours south of DL, break them in gently ;)

True, it all seems so small now after recently doing 400nm from Portsmouth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BowWow

Just mind the depths at Howth, similar silting issues as Malahide.

What does it draw?

BowWow wrote: »
    What does it draw?

I only draw 1.2 metres as she's the wing keel version.

I'd have always assumed Howth would be grand at any stage of the tide for anything drawing up to 2-3m

I went aground in a 27 footer in the approaches to Howth marina, just after the gap for the trawlers, a few years ago and we only got going again when a passing launch floated us off with a very generous wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bigus wrote: »
    but then again some lads would regard it as a big win to turn the missus off boating for life ! Not casting aspersions or anything, on any parties around here.

Wish I'd never introduced mine to sailing now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BowWow

Absolutely no problem in Howth at any time with that. Stick to the fairway, call on 37 before entering marina, say how long you want to stay, and they will direct you to a berth.

Absolutely no problem in Howth at any time with that.

That’s what I’d have thought alright.

In Malahide I’m giving myself about 2 hours either side of low water as a buffer, as when we came in from the delivery, we were about 1.5 hours before low water and we went down to as low as 0.3m under the keel at one stage!!

LW tomorrow morning in Malahide is 9:40am, so I’d like to give it a try at about 11am safe in the knowledge of being on an incoming tide.

Forecasting 5-10 kts from the south, so perhaps motorsail around to the Bay and have a nice sail back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Absolutely no problem in Howth at any time with that. Stick to the fairway, call on 37 before entering marina, say how long you want to stay, and they will direct you to a berth.

Shallower drafts have hit rocks in the channel recently. Stick to the middle, don't go in or out at low water.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

neris wrote: »
    Wish I'd never introduced mine to sailing now
    Over 20 years of small Ribs & power boats, wifey has yet to ever set eyes on any of them (boats) !!
    Two kids love them.
    Two kids now in their 20s & 30s :pac:

Am I complaining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Bladder size is the limiting factor for the sailing duration for a lot of people starting off and can be the source of a lot of unspoken anxiety, having a head on board us only a theoretical comfort!
    Bray is doable for about two hours either side of high tide, I draw 1m with the keel up and normally just tie up on the north wall then into Dockyard No 8 or the Harbour Bar for a cuppa and a bite to eat.
    Greystones is very easy also and as you are not tide bound the DART is an option if you have mutineers or need to leave her on the marina for a couple of days.
    There are lots of food drink and icecream option close by!

The young lad was not so well yesterday morning so OH stayed at home with him, and I went out with my brother and one of his friends. We headed for Dublin Bay, but in very little wind and a bit of a swell going around the Bailey, his friend was quite seasick, so we ploughed on and dropped him off at Poolbeg and had a lovely sail back around to Malahide.

It was good in a way that I know that'd be too far to bring the little lad in one day (over and back), so the plan with him would be an overnight over to Dun Laoghaire, and back the following day.

Also, heading around to Dublin Bay from Malahide, it'll be much better to leave 2 hours before low water as opposed to 2 hours after low water as we pushed into a hell of a tide getting around to the Bailey yesterday leaving after low water.

And of course BoBandy forgot to apply sun cream, so my face is now lobster red with a white band around my eyes!!

Was that you ploughing down towards howth yesterday afternoon under engine

neris wrote: »
    Was that you ploughing down towards howth yesterday afternoon under engine

It certainly was!!

You on a 17?

We only stayed for about half an hour, and then ploughed on back, and went around a few of the 17’s again.

(Excuse the filthy life bouy, it needs to be cleaned or replaced!!)

How did she look?

Was in class 3, not racing 17 for autumn leagues. Wasn't a bad day for it apart from a shifty breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

Fair play Andy, just read the thread and its giving me the push i need to fulfill my dream of being a sailor and boat owner.

Been watching Gone with the Wynns and Sailing Doodles on YouTube the last year and it certainly opens you eyes to the good and bad and cost !

30 years since i sailed, BP18's in the Slua and a few weeks off the SW coast in Sail Training Yachts. Always loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Jeff2

The dun laoghaire turkey shoot race should be on soon so might be best to keep that in mind if going there.

• Advertisement

oleras wrote: »
    ....and a few weeks off the SW coast in Sail Training Yachts.

Nancy Bet?

Advertisement