Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the verge of purchasing a boat from the U.K.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

And I was coming on to tell of something that might have been of interest to you lying over in Howth I spotted today. Best of luck with the purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

neris wrote: »
    And I was coming on to tell of something that might have been of interest to you lying over in Howth I spotted today. Best of luck with the purchase

Do tell! You teaser you!! :D :pac:

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Do tell! You teaser you!! :D :pac:

OP can pm me for details of boat type and an owners name. But it's a nice 4 berth cruiser racer that's looking very sad now and could be worth an offer

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Am I mad?

Most definitely if you don't sail her back yourself !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

welder wrote: »
    Most definitely if you don't sail her back yourself !

I’d happily do the trip, but I’d certainly want someone a lot more experienced with me!!

I haven’t done any passages of note in almost 20 years, and the last one was only Dun Laoghaire to Cyde on a Sigma 33 in 99, prior to that I went as far as Falmouth, West Cork, Aberystwyth. So the Solent would certainly be new territory for me!

• Advertisement

I’d happily do the trip, but I’d certainly want someone a lot more experienced with me!!

I haven’t done any passages of note in almost 20 years, and the last one was only Dun Laoghaire to Cyde on a Sigma 33 in 99, prior to that I went as far as Falmouth, West Cork, Aberystwyth. So the Solent would certainly be new territory for me!

The safest thing would be to crew for a pro. It would be a great way to pick up tips and have an adventure, assuming you dont know it all already. :D

:eek: The Solent is no place for the inexperienced / faint-hearted. :eek:

The safest thing would be to crew for a pro. It would be a great way to pick up tips and have an adventure, assuming you dont know it all already. :D

:eek: The Solent is no place for the inexperienced / faint-hearted. :eek:

That would be the plan alright, it would be a decent 400 mile trip to get back my sea legs, as well as get a great shake down on the boat, and really get to know her. It would all depend on dates and when the transaction is completed (and weather of course), so we’ll see how it all works out!

Sale & Purchase Agreement signed & deposit paid, so here she is...
    (Of course she's a First)

Beneteau First 285

Decks & cockpit need a good scrub, but apart from that, she's spotless.

Lift, powerwash & survey booked for next Thursday. The Marina she's in have a SeaLift, and they do a 24 hour Antifouling service, so I might avail of it (as I'm half thinking of keeping her afloat this winter, so If I did, she'd need to be anti fouled).

78997166gallery_wm.jpg
    78997171gallery_wm.jpg
    78997246gallery_wm.jpg

Well done. Those older beneteuas are great boats and much better quality then what they produced in the early-mid 2000s. Looks nicely set up for cruising. Where will you keep you back here?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That's a lot of boat for £16k. She'll give years of good service to you.

• Advertisement

The plan is Malahide Marina for the rest of this season, and possibly this winter as well (Malahide or Poolbeg), with a view to getting her into Rogerstown Estuary next year (hence the wing keel being an advantage), although I know nothing of mooring availability there.
    Once I get her I want to join Rush Sailing Club and make the mooring enquiries from then on, Although Malahide Marina next season might be an option as well.

Having previously only ever had boats on moorings, it would be nice to be in a marina for a change.

if your keeping her in malahide would you not join the club there? been on a marina is so handy. i was on a mooring for one summer season and was a real pain in the backside. ended up on the marina over winter and stayed there permanently

if your keeping her in malahide would you not join the club there?

Rush is my local club, and I'd probably prefer to be a member there so as to avail of the junior section for my son in a few years, and also to be closer to the social side of things. I believe some of the bigger boat owners in Rush also keep their boats on the marina at Malahide.
    i was on a mooring for one summer season and was a real pain in the backside. ended up on the marina over winter and stayed there permanently

In Poolbeg we only ever had moorings in my time there, so yeah, it was a pain in the hoop at times (the club tender situation could get quite bad at times). I did have the mini tonner out in Howth for a Brass Monkeys one year, and being on a marina felt like heaven at the time (even if it was only for 6-7 weeks), so yeah, I've a funny feeling she'll be staying on the marina in Malahide for a few years!!

Rush is my local club, and I'd probably prefer to be a member there so as to avail of the junior section for my son in a few years, and also to be closer to the social side of things. I believe some of the bigger boat owners in Rush also keep their boats on the marina at Malahide.QUOTE]

And the bigger racier ones in Howth ;)

Well, yeah, that’s where Storm is isn’t it?

I see her in the guys garden on the way into Rush during the winter months

Storm & King 1 they have

My brother raced a lot on King 1 when she was in Poolbeg, then she was replaced by Decibel

Shes on her 2nd howth owner now. Think she came from dl in early 2000s to howth. Was in poolbeg before DL? There was another few 1/2s in poolbeg. Chia chia & fenor

Yep, she was in Poolbeg for a good few years in the late 80’s

Sale & Purchase Agreement signed & deposit paid, so here she is...
    (Of course she's a First)

Beneteau First 285

Decks & cockpit need a good scrub, but apart from that, she's spotless.

Lift, powerwash & survey booked for next Thursday. The Marina she's in have a SeaLift, and they do a 24 hour Antifouling service, so I might avail of it (as I'm half thinking of keeping her afloat this winter, so If I did, she'd need to be anti fouled).

Did you bottom out the question of whether there is a VAT-paid record/invoice or does ownwership go far enough back to be included in the Revenue definition of VAT compliance? Im thinking it might become quite important (as in closer inspections) for sailing in French and other EU waters post Brexit.

• Advertisement

Did you bottom out the question of whether there is a VAT-paid record/invoice or does ownwership go far enough back to be included in the Revenue definition of VAT compliance? Im thinking it might become quite important (as in closer inspections) for sailing in French and other EU waters post Brexit.

There is no VAT invoice available, and given she's a 1987 boat, she doesn't fall into the pre 1985 assumed VAT compliant rule.

I did see the bill of sale from the 1st owner to the 2nd owner from back in 1990, and every subsequent bill of sale thereafter. I'm not really too concerned though as the chances of me sailing her outside of Irish/U.K. waters would be slim to none given she's only a 29 footer, having said that, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that I could bring her further afield some day.

The broker advised if I really wanted to make her tax compliant or tax exempt, I could bring it to the Channel Islands and sell it to myself (my partner or a friend etc..), which would somehow negate the need for VAT compliance due to the status of the Channel Islands. Or I could just try to pay VAT on it, although the broker said HM revenue would most likely refuse this on the basis that they could be potentially earning VAT twice on the same boat, which would be a big no no, as the following day the VAT receipt could suddenly turn up and they'd be in warm water .

All in all, Its a chance I'm willing to take. If it becomes an issue if/when I try to sell it, well I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

Of the First 285's available in the U.K. they are ranging in price from £16,000 up to £25,000, so for £16,000 I'm getting a lot of boat, at the lower end of teh price scale

She's being surveyed this morning!! Booked into the SeaLift for 10am for a lift, hull clean and inspection!!

Wish her luck!!

If all goes well today, I could be on the way back with her within a week!!

OK, so the survey took place yesterday, and there were a few findings, 2 in particular that would need to be rectified.

The rudder has a small crack/split in it up near the stock, which would need to be ground out and repaired (and the stock also inspected for any signs of corrosion), and there are 2 seacocks that are seized, so will need replacing.

Apart from that, just standard stuff really, very minor cracks in the cockpit gel coat, expired fire extinguishers, anodes need replacing, anchor could do with replacing etc....

They surveyor would have been happy to let the rudder go as is for the remainder of the season if the boat was being kept local, and to just address it in the winter, but when he heard the boat (if purchased) would be immediately sailed 400nm to Ireland, he changed his tone on it (which is completely understandable, as he won't want his name on something that could fail on a fairly long voyage, however probable or improbable it might be). I'm awaiting his report along with photos of the rudder, and will get a few quotes for the repair (the boat couldn't be more ideally located in the South of England for boatyard availability), and take the quotes back to the owner and renegotiate the price.

I've already spoken to the broker, and he in turn has spoken to the owner, so all are aware of the issues. The broker himself saw the crack on the rudder, and told me that after speaking with the owner it shouldn't be an issue getting the price of a repair reduced from the original selling price.

So, certainly not a deal breaker, but its just going to add 1-2-3 weeks onto the whole process, but to put a positive spin on that, when she's at the yard getting the rudder & seacocks repaired, I could also get her anti fouled and have the shaft anode replaced.

As the season is slowly running out (and it now being possibly 1-3 weeks even shorter for me in the boat if/when I get it), I might keep her afloat this winter, hence getting her anti fouled now while out at the yard (while also saving me the cost of a separate lift out/in back over here).

Apart from all that, the surveyor also agreed she was indeed a lovely boat that was extremely well cared for by the previous owner.

I guess it would have been too good to be true if she came with no issues whatsoever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Make sure that you get the core of the rudder checked. If there's a crack in the rudder it might mean you have a rudder full of wet foam and rotten plywood.
    You'd antifoul it and replace the anode in less than a day if you wanted to save some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Good catch in fairness, if the conditions were bad enough to result in the crack in the rudder becoming an issue, you would soon see how ineffective even the best thought-out emergency steering solutions are!

Donie75 wrote: »
    Make sure that you get the core of the rudder checked. If there's a crack in the rudder it might mean you have a rudder full of wet foam and rotten plywood.

I'd be wanting it checked out, as it would be most likely full of water alright!

Donie75 wrote: »
    You'd antifoul it and replace the anode in less than a day if you wanted to save some money.

I would, but don't forget I'd also pay the guts of €400 for the lift out & back in (not to mention chocking) to do it myself, so if she's already out in a yard for the rudder repair, and they charged £200-£300 for the anti foul and anodes, I'd still be saving.

I'd be planning on deducting the full repair price (including lift out and back in, as well as yard storage) from the originally agreed selling price, so I'd effectively have the boat on the hard for a week for free while the repair is done, so why not make use of that time to get her anti fouled.

id be getting that rudder fixed before taking her back to dublin if going by sea. last thing you wants a broken rudder in the middle of the night of lands end

id be getting that rudder fixed before taking her back to dublin if going by sea. last thing you wants a broken rudder in the middle of the night of lands end

Absolutely. I’ve already been in contact with a yard about the repair, I’ll have the report this evening, so I’ll be sending the photos and the details to a few yards tonight and see what sort of quotes I get back.

I’m also looking again at the option of transport by road to Holyhead (to Dublin on the ferry is a massive extra cost), and just relaunch in holyhead and sail her over in 9/10 hours as opposed to 3-4 days

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Try these for transport you might get a cheep quote if someone is heading in that direction. https://www.shiply.com/

• Advertisement

It might be less hassle if going by road to get it sent to Dublin. Might be slightly more in cost but your not trying to arrange ferries, crews, cranes and relying on weather

Another crowd to try
    https://www.kennedyhaulage.ie

Advertisement