Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-03-2019, 10:49   #451
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr Tod Umptious View Post
The typical welcome to a LOI game for a first timer from a LOI fan is

"What the fcuk are you doing here now, where we're you all your life, go back to following Utd"
Is that before or after you're stamped with the branding iron?

The reality of course is that nobody would even know it's your first time there.
Advertisement
10-03-2019, 11:02   #452
extra gravy

I don't think it takes a genius to work it out. Some of us grew up in the back arse of nowhere and would never have even heard of LOI as kids. The only football we saw was the World Cup and the FA Cup and English league on tv. It was a natural progression to start following these teams. I've no interest in LOI and couldn't care less what the high and mighty LOI fans think of me following an English team.
10-03-2019, 11:07   #453

support Liverpool, always have as my older brothers do too. It is far more exciting to do so, going to a game in a decent ground is nice with all the facilities on offer, as said it is a happy experience. I was also a regular to Dalymount for many a year, i miss the old Dalymount, many a happy memory standing on the terraces in the 80's and 90's, days when there were less than 1000 at the games, i still loved it. I lost interest after the Jodi stand was built and the wanba be hooligan element started getting bigger there also a good if not best friend died, i just couldn't get used to going to games without him even if he was only going to 1 in 3 games. Great days that i cherish deep within me. However i do intend to bring my 3 children to the games when they are old enough and of course the redevelopment should be great. I would always support Bohs over LFC but obviously they are a multitude apart and will probably never meet in a competitive fixture.
10-03-2019, 11:07   #454
Beasty
Put that light out!

I'm from Yorkshire - never stood in the way of me supporting a team from Lancashire (although I do like to refer to it under it's modern name, Greater Manchester)
10-03-2019, 11:15   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
I'm from Yorkshire - never stood in the way of me supporting a team from Lancashire (although I do like to refer to it under it's modern name, Greater Manchester)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-03-2019, 11:31   #456
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra gravy View Post
I don't think it takes a genius to work it out. Some of us grew up in the back arse of nowhere and would never have even heard of LOI as kids. The only football we saw was the World Cup and the FA Cup and English league on tv. It was a natural progression to start following these teams. I've no interest in LOI and couldn't care less what the high and mighty LOI fans think of me following an English team.
I'm a season ticket holder of an LOI team and a vocal advocate of it. I would have zero issues what anything you've posted.
10-03-2019, 11:40   #457
jmayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayto lover View Post
Went to work in London after my Leaving Cert exams.
Lived around the corner from Highbury stadium and started going to Arsenal matches. Great year to start following the club, 1971 the first double year. Went to all home games and many away too.
Returned to live in Dundalk years later and have been attending Dundalk games since. I also go to Gaelic games and even went to one Rugby match, Ireland v England. I enjoy all sports except Cricket.
I often refer to Arsenal and Dundalk as “us” or “we”. No apologies either as I feel a part of both clubs. They are also a part of me.
Yeah but you actually lived in Highbury and went to the matches even if years ago.
And you go to Dundalk matches.

It is not like listening to some plonker in a bar talk about WE when he is shouting for Barcelona and the fooker has never been near the place in his life. Likewise with the fans of lots of English clubs.
I would really like Juve and Alteti, but I would never refer to them with WE.
I have never been at any of their matches or in their stadia.
Passing outside doesn't count in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Veedersane View Post
I know of one chap from Greystones try to explain why he supported Dublin even against Wicklow without using the word 'bandwagon'...
Half of North and East Wicklow thinks they are dubs.
Greystones and Enniskerry being two of the absolute worst.

Hell underage Wicklow soccer is a disaster these days because all the clubs now play in Dublin leagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvanderlay View Post
I support Man Utd because when I was kid, I was left in the house alone one day, and was bored out of my mind. I hated football until that point, but for some unknown reason I sat and watched the 1990 FA Cup semi-final between United and Oldham, and it was cracker ending 3-3. I supported United that day because I prefer the colour red! I loved Mark Hughes and Bryan Robson straight away, real gung-ho players. I watched the replay 3 days later which Utd won, and then the final and replay which United again won dramatically. This was my initiation into the joys of English football. I thought it was always going to be like that! From that point on I supported United, and I believe our fates have been intertwined ever since. Good years in my personal life have tended to coincide with good times for Utd. 2013 was the worst year of my life, from literally a few weeks after Fergie's last game, and it's been pretty **** ever since, but in the past few months, there has been an upturn and a change in attitude in both myself and United. We lost our way,
Convenient you started supporting united just as they were starting their winning streak.
Why wouldn't you support the underdogs Oldham that day?
After all they had couple of Irish guys in their team whereas united had none.
10-03-2019, 11:45   #458
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayo View Post
It is not like listening to some plonker in a bar talk about WE when he is shouting for Barcelona and the fooker has never been near the place in his life.
Thing is, I reckon a fella would be lashed out of it if he referred to Barca or Dortmund as 'us'. I think he'd be called out in it. If it's Liverpool or Chelsea though, it gets a pass.
Thanks from:
10-03-2019, 11:51   #459
JohnnyFlash

I don’t know what it is, but I’ve never met a really passionate Bohs supporter who wasn’t a complete arsehole. Little lads in plastic jackets going on about their hatred of Rovers, the Palestine flags, the clique atmosphere in the club bar, the amount of vapers who follow them. It’s like a Venn diagram of arseholery.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-03-2019, 11:56   #460
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
I don’t know what it is, but I’ve never met a really passionate Bohs supporter who wasn’t a complete arsehole. Little lads in plastic jackets going on about their hatred of Rovers, the Palestine flags, the clique atmosphere in the club bar, the amount of vapers who follow them. It’s like a Venn diagram of arseholery.
That's what most people would call having friends.
10-03-2019, 12:01   #461
The Moldy Gowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
Calm down Stephen Bradley.
Thanks from:
10-03-2019, 12:37   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
That's what most people would call having friends.
That's bollocks.
10-03-2019, 12:41   #463
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMrBrennan83 View Post
That's bollocks.
Having mates? Yeah, it's not for everyone. What's bollocks is this notion that people are gonna pick you out of a crowd of thousands as a newcomer to LOI and abuse you for being a first timer. As I've asked already and have yet to receive an answer on... how would they know?
10-03-2019, 12:43   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Having mates? Yeah, it's not for everyone. What's bollocks is this notion that people are gonna pick you out of a crowd of thousands as a newcomer to LOI and abuse you for being a first timer. As I've asked already and have yet to receive an answer on... how would they know?
In a small bar where a group have been going for years? Very easily. So easily that I find it hard to believe you can't seem wrap your head around it. It's impossible to break into that kind of clique, especially at a LOI club, unless there's some very exceptional circumstances.

_

Last edited by OldMrBrennan83; 10-03-2019 at 12:46.
10-03-2019, 12:47   #465
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMrBrennan83 View Post
In a small bar where a group have been going for years? Very easily. It's impossible to break into that kind of clique, especially at a LOI club, unless there's some very exceptional circumstances.
People have drinks with their mates at a bar. Shocking. Nobody targets some chap that's there with a line of questioning like "what do you think you're doing here?". 99% of people are delighted to have new potential fans on board. That goes doubly so for someone sitting or standing there watching the match. They don't set you you like a gang of jackyls. It's just another excuse in a long line of them as to why people don't want to go. Some reasons are valid, others are just that... excuses.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion