Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Do you not understand? I was supporting a forigen team before I even knew there was an Irish league! Since before I could walk I was in Park head. You think I should suddenly decide at 9 or 10 years old that I should switch clubs and start supporting a local team?

I'll hope any Irish team does well in European competition obviously, but I couldn't give a crap who wins the domestic league or cup.

I was the exact same, actually a generation closer than you. Its not switching clubs, you don't stop supporting celtic. I know plenty of people that have season tickets to Celtic and an LOI club.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

For what its worth I've renewed my Tottenham Hotspur season ticket :)

Season ticket. You go to games. You're supporting Spurs financially and in the flesh. That's your choice and more power to ya. You mentioned standard, just wondering if you'd give up on Tottenham if they slipped down to League One, as per what happened with Leeds.

Greyfox wrote: »
    I don't particularly like De Bruyne but he can do things LOI players cant do, when he plays well its worth paying money to watch him play, when you get use to watching football at the highest level its becomes hard to know wheter or not a LOI match is worth the admission price.

Must have been a real slog when Man City dropped to the third tier of English football. How did people from here support them then I wonder... via aertel was it? Actually, Ceefax is probably a better bet.

Greyfox wrote: »
    A fan is a person who supports a particular football team, if you look in the dictionary there's nothing in there about it having to be a local team or that your required to go to a certain number of matches each year. Because you prefer live football you think everyone should but some people prefer watching football on tv, people enjoy different things. You cant expect everyone to pay to watch live football as not every football fan is going to think it offers value for money. To some football fans supporting your community isnt that important to them.

I started supporting my team simply because they played lovely football and they had players that could do amazing things and yes having some sort of success is a requirement as to get enjoyment from football, you need highs to get you through the lows. I don't particularly like De Bruyne but he can do things LOI players cant do, when he plays well its worth paying money to watch him play, when you get use to watching football at the highest level its becomes hard to know wheter or not a LOI match is worth the admission price. The number 1 reason to watch football is enjoyment and lots of EPL fans dont know wheter or not they would enjoy LOI football. Barstoolers are not brainwashed, there just use to a higher standard of football.

Yes the majority will be from Valencia, but the minority are welcome at the club. Does any club in the world have signs up saying locals only? Football has changed, there may of been a time when it was about supporting your community but that's changed. Clubs are just businesses looking to get bigger, there there to make a profit. If a Japanese man goes to a LOI match the club will be happy to take his money and hope that he tells his Japanese friends about it when he goes home. If he was to become a Rovers fan they would be delighted.

You know, it's funny, I see tonnes of Ireland caps from across the decades at basically every Rovers game, there could be even more that I miss, funny how they aren't "use to a higher standard" funny how Roy Keane, in the top 1% to ever play the game isn't so "use to a higher standard" he can't go watch Cobh.

You say players like De Bruyne are worth the money and yeah they are but you don't have to support them to appreciate their talent, I don't support Juventus and I can watch and appreciate Ronaldo whenever he does anything special, same with the likes of Van Dijk at Liverpool, I can appreciate him just as much as Sean that watches Liverpool in the pub every week, wears the jersey and sings Allez Allez Allez but would struggle to point out Liverpool nevermind Anfield on a map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I was the exact same, actually a generation closer than you. Its not switching clubs, you don't stop supporting celtic. I know plenty of people that have season tickets to Celtic and an LOI club.

So I should continue supporting the forigen club that I have all my life, and also just start supporting some Irish team just because they're Irish to please a few loi fans?
    Supporting two teams is just as ludicrous as supporting a forigen one to me.

• Advertisement

So I should continue supporting the forigen club that I have all my life, and also just start supporting some Irish team just because they're Irish to please a few loi fans?
    Supporting two teams is just as ludicrous as supporting a forigen one to me.

So completely acceptable to you then? You know since you support a foreign club and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Getting young kids involved early in going to games and building a rapport with them is the only way to combat this.

Some LOI clubs do try, they need to do more though. For games that arent going to sell out LOI teams should give more free tickets to school kids. Like many Irish people I became a EPL fan before I knew about the existence of the LOI. "It's good to support your community" was never said to me when I was young.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Do you realise how bad that sounds? You're saying you would rather the English equivalent of something we have in Ireland be more successful than its Irish counterpart? Should we just sign back up to the union then? It's one thing to say that it is better but to say you want it to be better, piss right off with that sort of attitude.

No I didn't say that. You are hearing what you want to hear to suit your chip on the shoulder and get your thanks

I said I'm interested in the EPL being successful, because my club play in that league currently.

I didn't say anything about that having to be more successful than the Irish counterpart. That's you getting 5 from 2+2 as I clearly didn't say that.

I said it be happy if it was successful but I personally have more of an interest in the EPL. If the LOI becomes bigger than the EPL I will be happy. But I won't be changing my club allegiance if that happens because personally I've already made a decision on who to support and I'm very happy with that decision and I get a lot of joy out of supporting my team

8-10 wrote: »
    No I didn't say that. You are hearing what you want to hear to suit your chip on the shoulder and get your thanks

I said I'm interested in the EPL being successful, because my club play in that league currently.

I didn't say anything about that having to be more successful than the Irish counterpart. That's you getting 5 from 2+2 as I clearly didn't say that.

I said it be happy if it was successful but I personally have more of an interest in the EPL. If the LOI becomes bigger than the EPL I will be happy. But I won't be changing my club allegiance if that happens because personally I've already made a decision on who to support and I'm very happy with that decision and I get a lot of joy out of supporting my team

Actually more is the exact word you used
    I'm more interested in EPL being successful personally

So yeah try backtrack on what you said once again after being called out on it.

You're more interested in seeing a foreign league be successful than your own country's league, that is an absolutely disgraceful thing to say.

Actually more is the exact word you used

So yeah try backtrack on what you said once again after being called out on it.

Me personally being more interested in the EPL being successful than being interested in the LOI being successful does not equal me personally wanting the EPL to be more succeesful than the LOI!

That's ridiculous. You're trying to fit my words into your outrage

Let me say it again: I would be happy for the LOI to be successful. I just don't have a personal interest in making that happen. If it does: awesome.

I am however more interested in the success of the EPL, because that's where MY team plays. This really shouldn't be this hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Omackeral wrote: »
    Season ticket. You go to games. You're supporting Spurs financially and in the flesh. That's your choice and more power to ya. You mentioned standard, just wondering if you'd give up on Tottenham if they slipped down to League One, as per what happened with Leeds.

Never, Spurs no matter what league, too many years under the belt now.

Never, Spurs no matter what league, too many years under the belt now.

Kinda knocks the standard argument out of the water in some respects.

You're more interested in seeing a foreign league be successful than your own country's league, that is an absolutely disgraceful thing to say.

Just saw this edit

I am interested in that foreign league being successful regardless of the success of the LOI is the point I was trying to make. Not at it's expense. I think this is just an argument over a misinterpretation of my words. If I confused it with my wording I apologise but I categorically did not mean what you think I meant so let's move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

So you consider yourself a soccer man even go to Cork games but are not proud of the club?
    I thought people in Cork were proud of thier City - a proud city?

I assume by your post you are in your late 20's and grew up with the marketing of the EPL. It looks like that marketing has really 'done a job' on you.
    To say it is 'small-minded' for people to want to support thier local club is baffling.
    As using the phrase shows that you implicitly think that all things Irish are inferior/backward ?
    And to compare it to a vegan v meat argument is even more baffling.
    It is still soccer, it is a soccer game.
    I support no soccer team but I can understand why the LOI fans would be livid at this attitude. It's mad, it is not just mental gymnastics it is almost cult like.
    The 'cult of consumerism' which has nothing to do with the sport of soccer itself which you claim to love.

I never said it was small minded for people to support a local teams , each to their own i said. What i did say was it is incredibly small minded to imply that just because you are from a certain part of the country that supporting any other team than the team you live near by its seen as some form of betrayal to your local club which of course it is not.

I follow liverpool when was young (abit older that late 20s to say the least) as my favourite Irish players played for Liverpool. I loved to style of football, the amazing atmosphere in the stadium when we visited etc. Sky had nothing to do with - for you to assume otherwise when you openly admit you dont even support any club at all is so laughably hypocritical.

It is totally bizarre to bring up my pride at where i am from into your comment. i would never be so superficial to gauge my pride around being born and raised in Cork to be in anyway associated with a local football club. It runs much deeper than that in that of course.

Lastly , There was no need to clarify you dont support any team as its very evident reading your posts over the last few pages you that you do not have grasp of what it is like to be fan of LOI teams or team abroad so you totally removed from the either side of the argument :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Looked like small crowd in Aviva.

FAI should have pretended Ireland were playing a Man U or Liverpool X! from the 1980s :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

mikemac2 wrote: »
    23 international caps David Forde was called a "fenian bastard" by a frustrated Cambridge United fan earlier this season. True he was very poor and possibly past it at 38 but any need for that ?? They don’t say Ireland , it’s Eire which makes me wonder what they teach in schools

They clearly missed or maybe didn't care their manager Joe Dunne (since sacked) used to play for Dublin club Home Farm and captain Gary Deegan played for Shelbourne. There were other Irish players too

Next time you get a letter in the post with an Irish stamp on it have a good look at the stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I was dressed in Celtic kit at 2 days old before I even left the hospital. I was born into it. My father's parents are Scottish of Irish decent. Not a choice. I don't think that makes me any less of a football fan than someone who supports Cork or Dundalk.

The worst kind omg.

Anyone talking up standard as a primary reason to support a team will have to find a new national team after tonight's performance surely?

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    The worst kind omg.

What's the worst kind, that my Scottish family support a Scottish team?

Ultimate wrote: »
    What's the worst kind, that my Scottish family support a Scottish team?

The celtic born and bred fan. The worst kind. Never wrong.

You can support two teams, it's not like supporting dundalk or cork on a Friday night will affect you watching celtic on the TV on a Saturday will it?

• Advertisement

The celtic born and bred fan. The worst kind. Never wrong.

You can support two teams, it's not like supporting dundalk or cork on a Friday night will affect you watching celtic on the TV on a Saturday will it?

And me supporting Celtic doesn't affect you supporting your team does it? Why stop there, why not support 5 or 6 teams?

You can also just support one team if you want to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Kinda knocks the standard argument out of the water in some respects.

A higher standard of football is one of the reasons some folk might get into UK football above Irish football in the beginning.

But once you're involved with a club, they're your club no matter what, you take the rough with the smooth. It becomes a way of life and is not based on standards, although you would always be hopeful of quality football.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

And me supporting Celtic doesn't affect you supporting your team does it? Why stop there, why not support 5 or 6 teams?

I do, not one of them Irish.

Do you think celtic are an Irish team?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,993 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So basically if there is a product you like and there are two versions one Irish and one from else where, you should support the Irish version of said product because you are Irish even if it is not as good as the other version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

League of Ireland fans are annoying.

Well if you compare supporting a football team to buying a product then no, probably not.

League of Ireland fans are annoying.

Fans of Netflix are worse

• Advertisement

Fans of Netflix are worse

Real fans watch RTÉ Player

Advertisement