Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

My box just arrived along with a very apologetic delivery driver. Get bit of kit for the price.

I missed my slot tonight but have emailed them for an alternative.

Jaysus I feel for those poor drivers. What an absolute cock up by the office staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

They were obsessing over the fresh ingredients.

Everyone could have had a lemon and lime and even basil leaves.

Serious work to get as many as they did out.

The hot sauce is pretty nice and adds a nice punch to the sour.

Another good bonus was more glass vials and tiny bottles to use for samples and to shift over from the horrible plastic ones that CWS send out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

They were obsessing over the fresh ingredients.

Everyone could have had a lemon and lime and even basil leaves.

Serious work to get as many as they did out.

The hot sauce is pretty nice and adds a nice punch to the sour.

Another good bonus was more glass vials and tiny bottles to use for samples and to shift over from the horrible plastic ones that CWS send out.

The best value whiskey 'tasting' iv ever taken part in. It would have been good value at 20 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Picked up a Three Swallows. For my money it's better than Johns Lane.

Lovely drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just arrived! He was trying to see if there was still a light on in the house

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    The best value whiskey 'tasting' iv ever taken part in. It would have been good value at 20 euro.

Absolutely. It was ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I hate those bottles! There is always a drop or two left in them. I used all my other bottles up recently and have been stuck using them for samples.

Cazale wrote: »
    I hate those bottles! There is always a drop or two left in them. I used all my other bottles up recently and have been stuck using them for samples.

Yeah. I still have the Kurayoshi tasting kit there as I couldn't do it on the night and I'd rather have them in glass as they'll be there 'til after Christmas at this rate I would say.

Speaking of sample bottles. where could I pick some up? Turns out a couple of lads in work are fond of a drop and we've spoken about swapping samples but I dont have a receptacle respectable enough for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

dobman88 wrote: »
    Speaking of sample bottles. where could I pick some up? Turns out a couple of lads in work are fond of a drop and we've spoken about swapping samples but I dont have a receptacle respectable enough for them.
    Not used them myself so can't vouch for them, but I saw these recommended, was thinking of getting some myself

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CZ9SN7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_tWwYFbQF0C7GV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

dobman88 wrote: »

Amazon have all sorts. I got something like 50x50ml bottles last year with corks.

L1011 wrote: »

A fitting end!

Not used them myself so can't vouch for them, but I saw these recommended, was thinking of getting some myself

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CZ9SN7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_tWwYFbQF0C7GV

Lovely. They're on the way.

L1011 wrote:

There's a light that never goes out...

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Weepsie wrote: »
    Any had the writer's tear mizunara finish? Overheard one of the guys in CWS going on about it last week to a customer, and piqued my interest and this week it's reduced a little. I need another bottle like I need a hole in the head, but you know. Tis Cask Strength

Bought this in the end. Will try it over Christmas if not before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Weepsie wrote: »
    Bought this in the end. Will try it over Christmas if not before.

Very interested to hear what it's like! The Glendalough Mizunara is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Still waiting on my Bushmills kit for tonight, what email address did ye contact for an update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Still waiting on my Bushmills kit for tonight, what email address did ye contact for an update?

kerry@clearboxcommunications.com

I moved mine to Saturday. Hoping to get the box today.

I'm moved to Saturday too now, although today was available as I have the box; I have other plans - namely getting to sit in a pub for the first time in months - for this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭calistro

Mine just arrive there now...phew!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well they emailed me back with apologies. I've picked tonight at 7. Let's hope I have the delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭flended12

Im booked in for tmro. Just emailed them there, honestly I dont mind if its delayed as I really only want the kit itself as a gift

Emailed repsonded to, fantastic comms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Christmas day setup now! :)

8bb21482-48fe-40aa-9370-ba98f241c412.jpg

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm moved to Saturday too now, although today was available as I have the box; I have other plans - namely getting to sit in a pub for the first time in months - for this evening.

Snap on that! Roll on 630!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

OldRio wrote: »
    Well they emailed me back with apologies. I've picked tonight at 7. Let's hope I have the delivery.

Mine arrived an hour ago (Malahide), lad had lots in the back of the van, approx 80. ðŸ‘

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I didn't sign up for the tasting as I'm busy this week. Wish I had

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Mine arrived earlier today too in D9. Whatever about anything else the glasses are really nice. Looking forward to the tasting later.

Talguetler wrote: »
    Mine arrived earlier today too in D9. Whatever about anything else the glasses are really nice. Looking forward to the tasting later.
    Arrived just this second, I'm in D6 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is it just me, or is this starting to get a little bit tedious?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Arrived just this second, I'm in D6 :)
    6W, checking in :D
    Is it just me, or is this starting to get a little bit tedious?
    LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Looking forward to this Bushmills thing tonight - I'm sure I'll see some of ye on it! Also answers the question of what I'm drinking tonight :D

BeerNut wrote: »
    6W, checking in :D

LOL.

D9, D6W must be on the way to D24!

Always sunny in Tallafornia!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

flended12 wrote: »
    D9, D6W must be on the way to D24!

Always sunny in Tallafornia!
    Van was certainly pointed south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭CJay1

Looking for some advice. Has anyone tried the Writers' Tears Redhead or Double Oak? I'm going to buy one for a friend who's a big fan of the label.

Are they worth the price difference over the Copper?

Míle buíochas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I've had both. Of the two I found the Double Oak the better drop, Red Head I had to put a drop of water in it to open up the flavours and for me while it was nice i wouldn't be in a rush back for it. I've had 3/4 bottles of Double Oak at this stage and usually try to keep one in the press.

All that said, the standard copper pot is a beautiful whiskey in its own right. I haven't heard too many negative comments on any of the Walsh range so you can't really go wrong IMO.

• Advertisement

Just arrived to d24!

Is there a knack to putting on the shaker strainer section? Cause it leaks slightly if not

Only testing while washing it and the glassware for tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

FFS. The second night of a no show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did I hear this right at the Bushmills tasting...
    * Bushmills White Label, contains minimum 5 year old whiskey, 50-50 malt-grain
    * Bushmills Black Bush, contains minimum 8 year old whiskey, 80-20 malt-grain

The Black Bush Basil Crush cocktail is lovely... surprised how well fresh basil works in a cocktail.
    Must pickup some more fresh basil.
    Found it very hard to shake the chilli out from the bottle though.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Gets easier as the bottle empties a little. Goes well with Mexican food too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

Drinking the powers 3 swallow. Picked it up mainly cause of the 30 euro price. I am very impressed. Love it when a whiskey out performs my expectations. Even if I go in with relatively low ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Did I hear this right at the Bushmills tasting...
    * Bushmills White Label, contains minimum 5 year old whiskey, 50-50 malt-grain
    * Bushmills Black Bush, contains minimum 8 year old whiskey, 80-20 malt-grain

The Black Bush Basil Crush cocktail is lovely... surprised how well fresh basil works in a cocktail.
    Must pickup some more fresh basil.
    Found it very hard to shake the chilli out from the bottle though.

Pretty sure I heard the same.

Picked up a load of basil today and am currently sipping my third basil crush . Beautiful cocktail.

Friday treat, just opened a bottle of Laphroaig PX Cast. Damn it's good! The sweetness of the sherry is all there at the front of the mouth then the peat really opens up. 48% and dangerously drinkable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Cazale wrote: »
    Found a bottle of Kilbeggan in Naas. There was one left on the shelf.

What was the concensus on this btw?

Good, bad or ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

janiejones wrote: »
    Drinking the powers 3 swallow. Picked it up mainly cause of the 30 euro price. I am very impressed. Love it when a whiskey out performs my expectations. Even if I go in with relatively low ones

3 swallow is great value for money even at full price if you're a fan of that style. Love the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Can't speak for the consensus, only for one. I am sparing mine, but it is so smooth it is hard to stay away. I have been switching between it, Talisker 10 and black barrel recently for a great variety of taste depending on the day...
    gozunda wrote: »
    What was the concensus on this btw?

Good, bad or ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

CJay1 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice. Has anyone tried the Writers' Tears Redhead or Double Oak? I'm going to buy one for a friend who's a big fan of the label.

Are they worth the price difference over the Copper?

Míle buíochas

The Redhead is very very nice.

Bought a litre bottle of Powers gold label the other day. €25 is the best value out there for such a nice whiskey. Off work on holiday so fairly went through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Opened up a bottle of Teeling Small Batch.
    While being very drinkable, didn't think it was anything special.
    Got it for €22 and it came with a €17 token for the distillery tour though so can't go too wrong there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Slattsy wrote: »
    The Redhead is very very nice.

Agreed, it's very good. I didn't like the copper pot at all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement