Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Anyone know the price of the west Cork single malt virgin oak in lidl?

I know the basic west Cork is 24.99, but no price online for the single malt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I knew the Tamnavulin wouldn't disappoint as I'm a big fan the their sherry cask. Benriach 10 was a new one to me and really made an impact after the entry-level Glenlivet Founder's Reserve. And yeah the Glenfarclas 105 and a great way to end the evening.

I might get a bottle of the Glenfarclas. It was tasty stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,180 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I knew the Tamnavulin wouldn't disappoint as I'm a big fan the their sherry cask. Benriach 10 was a new one to me and really made an impact after the entry-level Glenlivet Founder's Reserve. And yeah the Glenfarclas 105 was a great way to end the evening. What a monster!

I have a bottle of The Glenlivet 12 picked up in airport on the continent - I would rate it above the (lovely) Benriach 10. But its hard to find, they seem to be really pushing the NAS Founders Reserve which is nice and light but nothing special.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So not exactly sure what I signed up for but I'm sure it will be fun and will be keeping an eye out for more events. Didn't occur to me that you could, of course, watch them recorded as there isn't a ton of interaction it would be enjoyable all the same. Love seeing creative ideas like this and don't see why this wouldn't work post-pandemic.

Just on this point, I think the virtual tastings work better than tastings in store, for whiskeys at least.
    I know you have to pay delivery for the samples, but then if you were going in store you'd have bus \ taxi fares.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Hogzy wrote: »
    Anyone here a member of Flaviar? Ive been checking out their site and the plan includes a complimentary bottle of premium spirit as well as samples every month for a yearly cost of 290eur.

I cant find out what the comp bottle is though. "Premium" is a fairly subjective term, in the states some people view Jameson as a premium whiskey.

Id like to know peoples opions of flaviar if they are members and what sort of value it represents.

I am a member, you probably aren't saving much on the subscription but they have a good selection of whiskeys that would be cheaper by anything between €10 - €30 retail here, with one free delivery token a month, if you order one or two a month you are saving money.

Comp bottles are decent, you get a good selection to choose from, I picked a Glenfarclas 105 for my first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Are spaces limited for the Whiskey festival? Might treat myself on payday to a ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I am a member, you probably aren't saving much on the subscription but they have a good selection of whiskeys that would be cheaper by anything between €10 - €30 retail here, with one free delivery token a month, if you order one or two a month you are saving money.

Comp bottles are decent, you get a good selection to choose from, I picked a Glenfarclas 105 for my first one.

Any issues with delivery?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Any issues with delivery?

Not so far, have had three deliveries. Delivers with UPS, seems to come over road from Slovenia and takes a couple of days to a week.

Are spaces limited for the Whiskey festival? Might treat myself on payday to a ticket.

I heard up to a thousand places. The masterclass tastings would be limited to less than a hundred each if its on zoom. The single cask festival bottling from Highland Park will have 300 bottles for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

This might be too big an ask but would it be do-able for you to list the comp bottles that you get to choose from. Some people have told me the best Irish whiskey in the comp section would amount to nothing more than a Jameson Caskmates. Id be curious to know the entire selection between Bourbon, Scotch and Irish. Its annoying that Flaviar dont show you the list of bottles that are comp. Its extremely misleading!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭Legion2008

This might be too big an ask but would it be do-able for you to list the comp bottles that you get to choose from. Some people have told me the best Irish whiskey in the comp section would amount to nothing more than a Jameson Caskmates. Id be curious to know the entire selection between Bourbon, Scotch and Irish. Its annoying that Flaviar dont show you the list of bottles that are comp. Its extremely misleading!!!!

I was a member last year and had a different membership, I got a comp bottle and tasting pack once a quarter.

The comp bottles changed from time to time, and even when I was eligible for a bottle it would change day to day, so you don't need to select it on the day it opened up.

It's typically a bottle that they sell in their shop in the range 30-50.

Not my photo but here is the samples and glass from Boann Distillery that a few people on here signed up for.

It will do do-able next month when I get to choose again!

Cazale wrote: »
    Not my photo but here is the samples and glass from Boann Distillery that a few people on here signed up for.

Have the deliveries started? Wasn't sure when to expect them.

odyssey06 wrote:
    Have the deliveries started? Wasn't sure when to expect them.

Yeah I think a few people have got them today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I received mine about an hour ago same as the picture above with the glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Picked up a bottle of Roe & Co today in SuperValu for €30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭dball

picachu wrote: »
    Roe & Co back on sale in Supervalue. €30 a bottle
    Picked up a bottle of Roe & Co today in SuperValu for €30

me 3, its nice - had a sip to see what its like, Thanks OP, Ill have more later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Picked up a bottle of Ardbeg earlier, weekend sorted, serious tack.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Mitchell & Sons have Yellow Spot for €70, and it comes with a free 50ml of green spot. Decent Value I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Got mine as well, very nice of them to include the glass.

odyssey06 wrote:
    Was great craic. Tamnavulin Double Cask was my fave.
    I knew the Tamnavulin wouldn't disappoint as I'm a big fan the their sherry cask.

Enjoyed this so picked up a bottle tonight on offer for £22. Had a £20 voucher from my birthday so cost me £2 in the end. Can't beat that!

My Boann package arrived this morning. Very nice glass and generous measures. Even if any of the whiskeys are not my cup of tea I'll make sure I support them in future by buying from them for gifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Went to get the Roe and Co in SuperValu today but they'd none left, went with Jameson Crested instead. Also 30 euro, so not too bad.

Another day another whiskey tasting. This time its Belfast Whiskey Week. Some interesting events among them. Its an expensive hobby though. I should have took up chess during the lockdown instead :D

https://www.eventbrite.com/o/belfast-whiskey-week-24557340438

•Friday 24th:
    (1) 12pm - Killowen: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml) samples

(2) 2pm - Intro to Scots Whisky:
    Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and (9x50ml) samples

(3) 4pm - Expert Tasting: Japan & Asian Whiskey:
    Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and (9x50ml) samples

(4) 6pm - McConnell’s: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

(5) 8pm - Connacht “LAUNCH” FIRST WHISKEY FROM COUNTY MAYO IN OVER 100 years.....

Saturday 25th: WHISKEY CLUB NI

(6) 1pm - Method & Madness: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

(7) 5pm - Jameson: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

(8) 8pm - Redbreast: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

Sunday 26th:

(9) 12pm - World Wide Whiskey Exclusive: Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and (9x50ml) samples that have been carefully selected by the following distilleries and brands:

(10) 8pm - Gelstons: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

Monday 27th:

(11) 12pm Introduction to Irish Whiskey: Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and (17x50ml)

(38) 4pm Grace O’Malley: Includes Bespoke Box and (3x50ml)

(37) 7pm Glenfarclas: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

(36) 8pm Aquavite “Historic” O’Connels: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

Tuesday 28th:

(12) 12pm Wine&Whiskey: Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and 9x50ml)

(13) 2pm Mackmyra: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

(14) 4pm Pre-1970s Irish:
    Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and (9x35/50ml)

(15) 6pm Buffalo Trace: Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and (9x50ml)

(16) 8pm Dublin Lib *1: Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and (9x50ml)

Wednesday 29th:

(17) 12pm Copeland: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

(18) 2pm Intro to English: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

(19) 4pm Grace O’Malley: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

(20) 6pm Boann 1*: Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and (9x50ml)

(21) 8pm Echlinville/Dunvilles (TBC)

Thursday 30th: BUSHMILLS DAY

(22) TBC
    (23) TBC
    (23) TBC
    (39) TBC

Friday 31st:

(25) 12pm - New Scots Distilleries: Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and (9x50ml)

(26) 2pm - Experimental Cask (Buckfast): Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and (9x50ml)

(27) 4pm - Pre 1980s Scotch: Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and (9x50ml)

(28) 6pm - Dingle: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

(29) 8pm - Hinch: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

Saturday 1St August:

(30) 12pm Intro to World Whiskey: Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and(9x50ml)

(31) 2pm Waterford MC: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

(32) 4pm Redbreast vs Greenspot: Includes Presentation Festival Box containing 2 x Festival Glasses and (9x50ml)

(33) 6pm JJ Corry: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

(34) 8pm TWO STACKS “Launch”: Includes Bespoke Box and (6x50ml)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Has anyone ever tried monkey shoulder? I've heard great things about it on Reddit.

My whiskey experience is limited to Jameson and Paddy Irish :pac:

The Belfast Whiskey Week sounds amazing - but I'm guessing the samples would only ship within N Ireland i.e. not to an address in the Republic?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Belfast Whiskey Week sounds amazing - but I'm guessing the samples would only ship within N Ireland i.e. not to an address in the Republic?

Parcel motel? If they handle Alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Finished off a bottle of Dingle IV .. wasn't impressed at the start..and not at the end either...time for some yellowspot methinks

Has anyone ever tried monkey shoulder? I've heard great things about it on Reddit. My whiskey experience is limited to Jameson and Paddy Irish :pac:

It's a very easy drinking blend of scottish malt whiskies - from the Speyside region. Lovely, sweet light fruity just with some ice cubes.
    But it is overpriced here if you can get a bottle in UK or continent for under €30 check it out.

If you're in ROI, try Black Bush at €26, Jameson Crested if it's on offer for €30 or less, or maybe Roe & Co when on offer.

• Advertisement

Nah they deliver throughout the 32 Counties.

It's a very easy drinking blend of scottish malt whiskies - from the Speyside region. Lovely, sweet light fruity just with some ice cubes.
    But it is overpriced here if you can get a bottle in UK or continent for under €30 check it out.

If you're in ROI, try Black Bush at €26, Jameson Crested if it's on offer for €30 or less, or maybe Roe & Co when on offer.

The only place in ROI I can find it is the Celtic Whiskey Shop @ €45 euro. If I can't get it cheaper, I might treat myself to a bottle at Christmas.

I will definitely check out those whiskeys. I'm only getting into drinking whiskey, but I'm loving how it burns your throat, it tastes great,

The only place in ROI I can find it is the Celtic Whiskey Shop @ €45 euro. If I can't get it cheaper, I might treat myself to a bottle at Christmas.

Teelings bottle their whiskies at 46%, their bottles are pricier than my previous suggestions, but I think their Small Batch would interest you.
    There's also a 'Trinity' sampler set in shops containing miniatures of their selections.

There's a lot of online tastings happenings cos of the lockdown, you'll see them bumped on this thread, good idea to sign up to the L Mulligans Whiskey shop mailing list to hear about them.
    Also pubs like Dick Macks in Dingle are taking online orders so you can order a miniature of any of their range:
    https://www.dickmackspub.com/

Edit: I see Tesco have Chivas 12 year old on offer for €34, that would be the closest equivalent to Monkey Shoulder that springs to mind.
    If you like one you'll like the other and vice versa I reckon.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256565653

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Another day another whiskey tasting. This time its Belfast Whiskey Week. Some interesting events among them. Its an expensive hobby though. I should have took up chess during the lockdown instead :D

https://www.eventbrite.com/o/belfast-whiskey-week-24557340438
    )

Ah here. I'm going to have to put you on my ignore list! If there's one positive out of all this sh1te I've tried a lot of whiskey and discovered a few new favourites.

Some really interesting tastings on that Belfast list and it's all pretty well priced too.

Theres nearly too much going on in that Belfast list. Anything jumping at people? Tempted to go for a few of the launches like Connacht but not sure what to expect with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,004 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Been following this thread during the lockdown and always tempted by one of the online tastings.....might also give one of the Belfast ones a go.

I'm also a total noob when it comes to whiskey. Only ones I have ever had are the usual ones on a night out. So Jameson, Black Bush, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam etc.
    Also tasted the odd Scottish over the years, and not mad on them. I prefer the more mellow taste of Irish.

Theres nearly too much going on in that Belfast list. Anything jumping at people? Tempted to go for a few of the launches like Connacht but not sure what to expect with that.

This is great value for just over €60. You get 6 50ml samples which Im guessing is the full range of 12, 12 Cask strength, Lustau, 15, 21 and 27. The 27 alone is €50 for 50ml from Dick Macks.

Event 8: Redbreast Tasting (Whiskey Club NI)

We are joined again by the magical Joe Magowan, Brand Manager and Whiskey Ambassador Extraodinaire, who has managed to capture 6 stunning Redbreasts for you to sample including the fabulous 27yr old. This is a tasting not to miss.

You have the opportunity to gain access to the Festival with this Presentation box full of 6x50ml samples.

Been cross checking Cazale's list versus Event Brite.
    Not all the events are up yet I think, curious what else is on "Bushmills Day" apart from Bushmills After Dark.
    Also, the JJ Corry & Two Stacks events are on at good times for me, so will sign up for one of them.

I assume they will be recorded? Curious about Mackmyra but won't be free at 2pm on a Tuesday...

The pre-1970s tastings are intriguing but can't justify spending £200+ on one!

This is great value for just over €60. You get 6 50ml samples which Im guessing is the full range of 12, 12 Cask strength, Lustau, 15, 21 and 27. The 27 alone is €50 for 50ml from Dick Macks.

We are joined again by the magical Joe Magowan, Brand Manager and Whiskey Ambassador Extraodinaire, who has managed to capture 6 stunning Redbreasts for you to sample including the fabulous 27yr old. This is a tasting not to miss.

You have the opportunity to gain access to the Festival with this Presentation box full of 6x50ml samples.

It was one of the ones i'd picked out. Big fan of RB 12 but never tried any of the others. Think I'll go for it and one other random one. I noticed some of them are kicking off middle of the week during the day so that rules those out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Just opened a Clontarf...not sure

seems ok

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Just a comment on Chivas Regal 12 year old.

I would have tended to overlook this for years, not out of any snobbery related to blends but because of a perception that Chivas was a bit passé. I had it several years ago and was nonplussed.

Anyway, my interest was piqued again when I saw that Jim Murray gave the 12 year old quite a high score in 2019 and I think in 2020. Now, Jim Murray can be a bit of a contrarian in my view, but he's usually not giving something a high score if it's not worth a look on some level.

So I found myself on a Ryanair flight and decided, on a whim, to try an in-flight Chivas Regal.

I had low expectations, it was a plastic cup, but... Surprisingly... This is one of those whisky experiences that really stuck with me, it was delicious in the way that a blend on the sweeter end can be, if you're in the mood. Probably the fact that I was travelling minus the family and had no small children hanging off me was an added element which made the whisky somewhat tastier than it might ordinarily be, but I really enjoyed it and have something of a soft spot for Chivas Regal now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Hi all,

I’m just finishing a bottle of yellow spot and really enjoyed it. I’ve previously enjoyed a few bottles of red breast 12 year old.

Any suggestions on what I should try next? My budget is up to 70 euro.

I was looking at either the knappogue 12 year or there’s an offer in O’Briens for drumshambo single pot still for 70 but I’m open to suggestions

Gutted I missed this!!! Wasnt online last night at all and missed a 'cheap' DC32 year sell online and this redbreast deal. B*llocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazyderk wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I’m just finishing a bottle of yellow spot and really enjoyed it. I’ve previously enjoyed a few bottles of red breast 12 year old.
    Any suggestions on what I should try next? My budget is up to 70 euro.
    I was looking at either the knappogue 12 year or there’s an offer in O’Briens for drumshambo single pot still for 70 but I’m open to suggestions

I haven't had the drumshanbo.
    But I wasn't overly impressed by the standard Knappogue 12.
    I'm waiting on a sample of the Knappogue 12 Barolo cask from Dick Macks "Wall of Whiskey" in Dingle, curious how it will compare.

Actually Celtic Whiskey Shop might still have the miniature set of the Knappogue 12,14 & 16.
    https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Knappogue%20Mini%20Pack%203%20x%205cl?search=knappogue

My favourite was actually the 14, it's just over your budget at €73 though.
    https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/knappogue-castle-14-year-old-700ml

I missed out on the Waterford masterclass. Got the JJCorry one instead.

I'm in for JJ Corry also... it's been getting a lot of buzz, so curious as to how justified it is.
    Went for JJ Corry over Two Stacks on the Saturday evening.

The Dublin Liberties tasting, if I read it right contains twin sample packs?
    So might do that with the OH.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

The Belfast whiskey week does look great, I signed up for Redbreast and Boann last night, then got the Waterford one today. All were good value imo.
    The Redbreast Vs GreenSpot looks very good too, expensive but prob worth it due to the samples involved.

Tempted by the Dunvilles too, but I have most of their stuff already

The greatest single whiskey experience I had was trying the Knappogue Castle 1951 last year. Not because it was necessarily the best whiskey I've ever tasted but because of the excitement and anticipation of trying something that had been distilled almost 70 years previously. The history, people, places and stories behind that bottle will stay with me long after the taste is forgotten. I promised myself that if another opportunity to try such a whiskey presented itself I would take it with both hands. Whiskey is for drinking so I look forward to drinking the whiskeys below.

Fionnán O’Connor Presents Historical Irish Whiskey

About this Event
    Event 14: Pre-1970s Irish Whiskey

Probably a once in a life-time tasting for most people. to listen to Fionnán is like letting a masseuse delicately trace your spine and extremities while at the same time being thrown around on a roller coaster of knowledge.

This years Pre-1970s tasting boasts a current retail value of around €8,000 to be shared amongst a lucky few. Let’s relax, sip some history and pray that we see the likes again.

Sipping:

Powers 30yr Old, Dungourney 1964, Redbreast 10yr Old, Tullamore Dew, Knappogue Castle 1950 & Bushmills 9 year old

mik_da_man wrote: »
    The Belfast whiskey week does look great, I signed up for Redbreast and Boann last night, then got the Waterford one today. All were good value imo.
    The Redbreast Vs GreenSpot looks very good too, expensive but prob worth it due to the samples involved.

Tempted by the Dunvilles too, but I have most of their stuff already

I bought the Dunvilles. Thought it was good value considering it includes 9 samples and 2 glasses.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I bought the Dunvilles. Thought it was good value considering it includes 9 samples and 2 glasses.

Yeah it is, I think it's also on directly after the Boann one, dunno if I would face two sessions back to back :)

mik_da_man wrote:
    Yeah it is, I think it's also on directly after the Boann one, dunno if I would face two sessions back to back

I'm doing the jjcorry tasting and was thinking about the the introduction to world whiskey but it's on the same day. 15 50ml samples in a few hours might not be a good idea!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement