Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Combinations of similar first and second names. For example:

Barry Barry
    Brian O'Brien
    Ryan Ryan
    Conor O'Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

emmiou wrote: »
    Lacey, Darcy and Marlow... all appeared to belong within one family.

in ireland can be pronounced D-arsey... Whereas in the UK it's more D-orsey. Lacey and Marlow are shocking. Also Teigan could find a spot amongst your three!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 magic123

Beauty :) i had to ask twice if this is real name!

• Advertisement

magic123 wrote: »

And post thrice?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

magic123 wrote: »

Was he of African descent? Common enough type of name from certain areas of Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

A girl I work with her son is called Casper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

A girl I work with her son is called Casper!!

I love that name. My son has a friend called Casper. He is Lithuanian and it is quite popular there but often spelled Kasper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Combinations of similar first and second names. For example:

Barry Barry
    Brian O'Brien
    Ryan Ryan
    Conor O'Connor

:rolleyes:

Not forgetting the two Gay Irish Guys

Maurice Fitzpatrick And Patrick Fitzmaurice

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Witchie wrote: »
    I love that name. My son has a friend called Casper. He is Lithuanian and it is quite popular there but often spelled Kasper.

I suggested the name Kasper for our son because it was the name of our adored family cat growing up. He is still missed and talked about all the time. My husband said that was cruel and weird and I got super-vetoed. Boo! :D

It's the name of one of the three kings that visit Jesus in the nativity story so technically it's as normal as Mathew or John, being a biblical name. That argument held no sway with my husband at all though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My sister works with a guy who has a daughter called Swan

Woshy wrote: »
    I suggested the name Kasper for our son because it was the name of our adored family cat growing up. He is still missed and talked about all the time. My husband said that was cruel and weird and I got super-vetoed. Boo! :D

It's the name of one of the three kings that visit Jesus in the nativity story so technically it's as normal as Mathew or John, being a biblical name. That argument held no sway with my husband at all though! :pac:

Casper isn't a bad name by itself but I think the problem is that most people instantly think "the friendly ghost" when they hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

My nieces best friend is called Tuesday. Maybe a little acceptable in young, teens and maybe early 20's, but imagine introducing your mum to your school friend, “this is my mum, Tuesday"??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Casper isn't a bad name by itself but I think the problem is that most people instantly think "the friendly ghost" when they hear it!

In our house it was Kasper the friendly cat - he was very cuddly!

It was the naming a child after a pet that was apparently "weird" but it's not like I suggested Mr Whiskers or Mittens! I did keep it going for ages to wind him though - I got great mileage out if it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Brax.

Sounds like something for cleaning the ****ter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Brax.

Sounds like something for cleaning the ****ter

That is s***e ...really. Do people not ever, ever think of the children, aged 9 in the school playground? Some of these names are a bullies dream. Life is hard enough without your NAME being a source of grief.
    Makes me so mad- I teach in a school and really it's so unfair of parents to lumber children with what they thought was 'cool,alternative or just 'way-out-there'' names.....I've come across some gems in the school I work in, and it makes life so, so hard for the children...:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Turbo Tom

Kanye wests kid

NORTH WEST

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

eviltwin wrote: »
    My sister works with a guy who has a daughter called Swan
    I have a mater whose nickname is Swan. Because he has a nack of falling asleep in the most awkward of postions
    I've come across some gems in the school I work in...:(

Shut up and make with the names.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭moonbloom

Maverick 🙊

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

What this thread shows is that what one name a person loves, another person might hate, and that a name really means nothing at the end of the day, and says nothing about the person wearing it.

Not long ago on this forum, I made a thread about a French judge who banned a mother and father from calling their daughter Nutella and made them change it to Ella, a lovely name too. The first reply in the thread was "don't be stupid op, that's a retarded name". A lovely sentiment that unfortunately but understandably received a load of thanks. Yet the first reply in this thread is "John" with a whole load of thanks, possibly the most common name ever. Most people agreed with the judge about Nutella , arguing it was not in the child's best interests and that she'd almost certainly be bullied for her name. Fair enough assumptions, but could equally turn out to be right or wrong. What is completely clear from this thread, is that no one name will ever meet universal approval, and even the most common name like John, a load of people can think is the worst name ever. People will bully others for any reason, for your name, your hair colour, your race and so on, and people might think the name John is the worst name ever just as they might think Nutella is.

Before replying or judging the name Nutella simply in relation to its famous branded namesake, do me this one favour: Repeat the name Nutella aloud. Do it a few times. And now look away from your screen for a moment and imagine a little girl standing in front of you and repeat it again and again. Tell me that isn't a beautiful sounding name? Tell me you can't imagine that beautiful little girl standing there, and not some chocolate spread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Turbo Tom

Before replying or judging the name Nutella simply in relation to its famous branded namesake, do me this one favour: Repeat the name Nutella aloud. Do it a few times. And now look away from your screen for a moment and imagine a little girl standing in front of you and repeat it again and again. Tell me that isn't a beautiful sounding name? Tell me you can't imagine that beautiful little girl standing there, and not some chocolate spread?[/quote]

I did it. I still see the crappy gammy chocolate spread

Turbo Tom wrote: »
    I did it. I still see the crappy gammy chocolate spread
    And that's fine. Completely understandable. It's hard to imagine a girl with the name Nutella standing in front of you (without thinking solely of the brand) when it is not even possible thanks to a judge who thinks he knows best, that his thoughts are infallible! We don't look at a boy called john or johnny and think of a toilet or a person who solicits prostitutes or a condom! We don't stop parents naming their child john or johnny under the assumption they might possibly be bullied because of those connotations. It would be silly, and a ridiculous concept!; forgetting completely the impingement on a parent's right to name their own child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

A girl in my sons class is called Armani :(

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    A girl in my sons class is called Armani :(
    An exotic sounding name which rolls very smoothly off the tongue, I like it a lot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I remember sisters near me growing up called Assumpta and Concepta.

bpmurray wrote: »
    I remember sisters near me growing up called Assumpta and Concepta.
    Yeah it really says a lot about Irish society and where it's still at a place where most would consider those names better or more appropriate for a little girl than Nutella or Armani. And before the context argument is mentioned, the two latter names sound far nicer and roll far more smoothly off the tongue imo. But hey, what do I know? Obviously people and judges think they know best and are so infallible in their beliefs that they think they can enforce them through law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

There's a 2 year old here called Jeepers. I kid you not.

There's a 2 year old here called Jeepers. I kid you not.
    Middle name Creepers? Shortened to Jeep and it's not half bad! In fact it's quite strong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Just heard a woman calling her daughter today. "come here now Griffin"

Shouldn't be allowed.

Advertisement