Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Summer Internships 2020

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 john_fe12020

Has anyone applied to A&L for their internship in Belfast and heard anything back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lawintern20

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from a firm which has not yet confirmed whether internships are going ahead as scheduled?

The Arthur Cox internships were cancelled but I was offered a TC instead. But I’m supposed to intern with MHC this summer as well and haven’t yet heard back!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Coulter97

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from a firm which has not yet confirmed whether internships are going ahead as scheduled?

The Arthur Cox internships were cancelled but I was offered a TC instead. But I’m supposed to intern with MHC this summer as well and haven’t yet heard back!

Offices won't be opened before August so it's a good assumption that it will be cancelled. MHC gives most of their interns TC's so they may follow the Arthur Cox approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Law000

Said I’d throw a message in for anyone due to start internships/going into final year or finished and are thinking of sitting the Fe1 exams in October...I have the up to date Manuals, Sample answers, past papers, grids for all subjects and happy to throw you them via PDF in an email, drop me a dm sure !

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

With the MHC June internship due to start in a couple of weeks, I wonder has anyone heard from them? They’re cutting it fairly fine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Lawbloke

Has anyone heard anything about the Eversheds summer internship?

Does anyone know what Maples is doing?

Update on MHC and other firms: https://www.irishlegal.com/article/major-law-firms-continuing-to-recruit-at-all-levels-in-spite-of-covid-19

Nicholas Butcher, managing partner of Maples and Calder LLP, told ILN: “Our summer internship programme continues to be an important pipeline of talent for our future graduates, and we will be ‘virtually’ welcoming 23 interns to the firm in late June.

“We have created a strong programme which has been adapted to be experienced remotely which will provide genuine insight into what it’s like to work in a truly global law firm. Our internship programme will also provide this team with the opportunity to build valuable connections and experience that will help form their future legal careers.”

A spokesperson for Mason Hayes & Curran said: “Here at Mason Hayes & Curran we are always keen to recruit the best talent, to continue to grow our business.

“Notwithstanding the challenges that COVID-19 has brought, we are therefore hoping to run a remote internship this summer.

“This may impact on the number of interns we can facilitate but we are confident that we will be able to deliver a worthwhile internship experience to those who take part.”

MHC June internship is due to start in less than a fortnight and still haven’t heard it it’s going ahead... I saw the article saying that the firm may be going ahead with a virtual internship, but wondering when dates, format etc will be communicated to incoming interns?

MHC June internship is due to start in less than a fortnight and still haven’t heard it it’s going ahead... I saw the article saying that the firm may be going ahead with a virtual internship, but wondering when dates, format etc will be communicated to incoming interns?

Embarrassingly poor showing from MHC. They've seemingly let media outlets know before they've told their own interns about what's going on. Other firms have gotten in contact a month ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Paraeagle

Coulter97 wrote: »
    Embarrassingly poor showing from MHC. They've seemingly let media outlets know before they've told their own interns about what's going on. Other firms have gotten in contact a month ago.

Really bad form. I’m lucky enough to be working at the moment and need to hand in my notice if the MHC internship is going ahead. Minimum notice period is less than a week away :/

Paraeagle wrote: »
    Really bad form. I’m lucky enough to be working at the moment and need to hand in my notice if the MHC internship is going ahead. Minimum notice period is less than a week away :/

I’m also working at the moment and can’t give notice at my current internship until MHC gives details of how their internship is proceeding. I work in a small team so I would prefer to give several weeks notice if possible! Stressful situation all round..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Does anybody know, typically, what percentage of summer interns at the big firms will be getting TC offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fe1newbie

Is there a lot of firms that have cancelled their summer internships, or have they just been changed to a remote system?
    I would have thought the experience of the internship was to be in the office so remote would be disappointing.

Fe1newbie wrote: »
    Is there a lot of firms that have cancelled their summer internships, or have they just been changed to a remote system?
    I would have thought the experience of the internship was to be in the office so remote would be disappointing.

Most have changed remotely. Obviously it's not ideal but it's better than having it cancelled outright

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Has anyone been doing a remote internship? Intrigued as to how they work

If firms are open on 20 July (final phase of exit plan) is it likely that firms with internships in August will go ahead in at least some physical capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭amusicalfrog

IgoPAP wrote: »
    If firms are open on 20 July (final phase of exit plan) is it likely that firms with internships in August will go ahead in at least some physical capacity?

I think firms won't necessarily be back in the office then, or at least enough to facilitate a big intake of interns. I'd be surprised if any of the big firms went ahead with in-person internships.

I think firms won't necessarily be back in the office then, or at least enough to facilitate a big intake of interns. I'd be surprised if any of the big firms went ahead with in-person internships.

I've heard William Fry is looking to hold in-person events for their modified programme.

Coulter97 wrote: »

To update... MHC offered a virtual internship to half their interns (presumably the June cohort?) and asked the rest to accept a 2021 internship instead.

Notification came about 10 days before the start of the June internship and at least a week after the announcement had been made to legal magazines. Feeling very lucky that I didn’t give notice at my current position.

• Advertisement

Anybody who interviewed for a TC with McCann FitzGerald know when they said they'll be getting back?

Advertisement